The harsh reality of the rental crisis through the eyes of a 71-year-old evictee

Louise Wilksch had been paying $900 a month for her Brunswick East bungalow for 25 years, but now, the 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis and has found herself without a home.

Louise had been living in the same address for a quarter of a century, receiving disability pension, until the start of this month when she was hit with an eviction letter.

shutterstock_2169327713.jpg
Brunswick East, Melbourne. Image source: Shutterstock.

'It’s sent me into shock. I couldn’t eat for a few days, and then I got a really bad cold. I think from the stress,' she told The Guardian of the devastating news.

Priya Stern, a 19-year-old Visual Arts student at the University of Melbourne, was so moved by Ms Wilksch’s plight she has started a GoFundMe to help raise cash to support her, despite the two women never having crossed paths. She wanted to highlight the fact that older Australians were often particularly vulnerable when it comes to sky-high rents.

'I don’t know Louise personally, but when I read her story, I just felt so sad for her,' Priya said.

'A lot of my friends are really struggling, and some of my country friends who are trying to go to uni can’t move to the city, so they are travelling an hour and a half each way – it’s very hard.'

‘It is definitely affecting everyone, including a lot of elderly people – things are really bad.’

‘Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older.’

As we all know, Aussies of all ages are struggling at the moment. According to GoFundMe Regional Director Nicola Britton, the rising cost of living is leaving the most vulnerable in the country with little choice but to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials.

In fact, there has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in the number of GoFundMe fundraisers that mention “cost of living” and “rising cost of living” in the last 12 months, compared with the 12 months prior.

'The past two years, we have seen Australians grapple with the country’s rental crisis, launching fundraisers for temporary accommodation. Now, as the housing crisis continues, the rising cost of living is leaving these same people forced to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials,' Nicola said.

She went on, ‘While I am glad we can provide a platform for Australians to give and get help, community support can only extend so far.’

And the problem doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon, either. PropTrack’s August Market Insight report showed rental vacancy rates had dropped to 1.43 per cent in July, with a shortage of available rental properties driving up prices in both major cities and regional areas.

Key Takeaways
  • A 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis after receiving an eviction notice from the home where she lived for 25 years.
  • Louise Wilksch, who receives a disability pension, has just two weeks left to find a new home, causing her significant distress.
  • A 19-year-old University of Melbourne student, Priya Stern, was so moved by Ms Wilksch's story that she started a GoFundMe campaign to support her.
  • There has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in GoFundMe fundraisers that mention 'cost of living' and 'rising cost of living' in the last 12 months, highlighting the severity of Australia's current housing crisis.

Members, it’s stories like Ms Wilksch’s that serve as a stark reminder for us all to stay informed when it comes to the rental crisis in Australia. Longtime landlords no longer feel guaranteed security, and tenants no longer have the peace of mind they once had. If you or someone you know is struggling to pay rent, you can contact Services Australia’s Rent Assistance here for information on how to get help.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Tell us what you think in the comments below.

Sponsored
I'm sorry Rainy but what world do you live in.Not mine😑
As a landlord myself I feel that some people don't understand that many landlords are just mum and dad investors, ordinary everyday people, just trying to get ahead.
Most of them have a large mortgage, which like rents just keep going up and up, they are also battling trying to make ends meet.
I realise there are some very crappy landlords out there, along with a lot of extremely crappy tenants.
I am lucky that I own my rental but I can still sympathise with those who don't .
A lot of these people will sell up as they find they can't manage themselves, leaving less and less properties available for rent.
Even in my situation I find that all my expenses have gone up, insurance has skyrocketed, water rates, property rates, maintenance on the property, tenant insurance, etc. It is becoming unviable to have a rental property. Not to mention the stress caused by bad tenants who don't pay the rent and damage the property.
Not all landlords are greedy money hungry bastards, without them there would be no rentals

Louise Wilksch had been paying $900 a month for her Brunswick East bungalow for 25 years, but now, the 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis and has found herself without a home.

Louise had been living in the same address for a quarter of a century, receiving disability pension, until the start of this month when she was hit with an eviction letter.

View attachment 28593

'It’s sent me into shock. I couldn’t eat for a few days, and then I got a really bad cold. I think from the stress,' she told The Guardian of the devastating news.

Priya Stern, a 19-year-old Visual Arts student at the University of Melbourne, was so moved by Ms Wilksch’s plight she has started a GoFundMe to help raise cash to support her, despite the two women never having crossed paths. She wanted to highlight the fact that older Australians were often particularly vulnerable when it comes to sky-high rents.

'I don’t know Louise personally, but when I read her story, I just felt so sad for her,' Priya said.

'A lot of my friends are really struggling, and some of my country friends who are trying to go to uni can’t move to the city, so they are travelling an hour and a half each way – it’s very hard.'

‘It is definitely affecting everyone, including a lot of elderly people – things are really bad.’

‘Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older.’

As we all know, Aussies of all ages are struggling at the moment. According to GoFundMe Regional Director Nicola Britton, the rising cost of living is leaving the most vulnerable in the country with little choice but to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials.

In fact, there has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in the number of GoFundMe fundraisers that mention “cost of living” and “rising cost of living” in the last 12 months, compared with the 12 months prior.

'The past two years, we have seen Australians grapple with the country’s rental crisis, launching fundraisers for temporary accommodation. Now, as the housing crisis continues, the rising cost of living is leaving these same people forced to choose between their home or pay for everyday essentials,' Nicola said.

She went on, ‘While I am glad we can provide a platform for Australians to give and get help, community support can only extend so far.’

And the problem doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon, either. PropTrack’s August Market Insight report showed rental vacancy rates had dropped to 1.43 per cent in July, with a shortage of available rental properties driving up prices in both major cities and regional areas.

Key Takeaways

• A 71-year-old Melbourne woman has become the voice of Australia’s brutal rental crisis after receiving an eviction notice from the home where she lived for 25 years.
  • Louise Wilksch, who receives a disability pension, has just two weeks left to find a new home, causing her significant distress.
  • A 19-year-old University of Melbourne student, Priya Stern, was so moved by Ms Wilksch's story that she started a GoFundMe campaign to support her.
  • There has been a staggering 263 per cent increase in GoFundMe fundraisers that mention 'cost of living' and 'rising cost of living' in the last 12 months, highlighting the severity of Australia's current housing crisis.

Members, it’s stories like Ms Wilksch’s that serve as a stark reminder for us all to stay informed when it comes to the rental crisis in Australia. Longtime landlords no longer feel guaranteed security, and tenants no longer have the peace of mind they once had. If you or someone you know is struggling to pay rent, you can contact Services Australia’s Rent Assistance here for information on how to get help.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Tell us what you think in the comments below.
Greed changes everyone... the landlord should be named and shamed

Greed changes everyone... the landlord should be named and shamed
As I said, you don't know the landlords personal circumstances.Perhaps he needs to sell the property as he can't keep up the increased mortgage payments,sybe he has.something bad happening in his life and he needs the money.
There are many different circumstances, including that he might be a greedy so and so, but nobody else knows.
Naming and shaming somebody without knowing the full circumstances, do you really think that is the correct thing to do?
There are two sides to every story.

I think you are allowed to work but I just think if you are sick enough to be on dsp then aren't you then too sick to work. 🤔
My sons on a DSP,I'm his full time carer, he cannot do any physical work, but to help his mental health it has been an idea that he maybe ableto find some work, paid, or voluntary or some study no more than 8 hours a week to give him something to do, make him feel useful and give him something to focus on. Work doesn't have to be long hours or physical.

"Louise can’t find anywhere else in the same area because it’s so expensive, even though she works there and all her friends are there, and it’s really hard to move, especially when you’re a bit older."
I think she's a rare one on a disability pension that still works at 71.
She's been living a good life in inner Melbourne - no doubt going to all the nice cafes.
What an unnecessary and nasty comment. You should be ashamed.

Reactions: Rob44
As a landlord myself I feel that some people don't understand that many landlords are just mum and dad investors, ordinary everyday people, just trying to get ahead.
Most of them have a large mortgage, which like rents just keep going up and up, they are also battling trying to make ends meet.
I realise there are some very crappy landlords out there, along with a lot of extremely crappy tenants.
I am lucky that I own my rental but I can still sympathise with those who don't .
A lot of these people will sell up as they find they can't manage themselves, leaving less and less properties available for rent.
Even in my situation I find that all my expenses have gone up, insurance has skyrocketed, water rates, property rates, maintenance on the property, tenant insurance, etc. It is becoming unviable to have a rental property. Not to mention the stress caused by bad tenants who don't pay the rent and damage the property.
Not all landlords are greedy money hungry bastards, without them there would be no rentals
Thank god for people like you. Renters should appreciate there are people like your self there .I am lucky enough to own my own home.

• Love
Reactions: Coralea
I'm sorry Rainy but what world do you live in.Not mine😑
Capitalism doesn't have to be the antithesis of community mindedness. If someone lived that long in one of my properties I would try to assist in some way. It doesn't cost anything to be kind. "Blessed is she who expects nothing, for she will never be disappointed." The writer Catherine Ponder says we have to open our minds to receive. The first step is gratitude.

View attachment 28593

Key Takeaways

All past and present government should have been doing more to have affordable housing for the vulnerable not just the new Australians as people get older they should be able to access affordable housing SHAME on politicians who take pay raises while have no where to live out their days in peace and a little comfort

Reactions: Rainy and Leenie
This lady has every right to live her life as she wants , and not be judged .
I don't think anyone is judging but like I told my daughter in today's times , when you are renting and need to move you need to be prepared to move suburbs and my grandchildren go to school in their area as well as my granddaughter's doctor ( she has aspergers. But you have to do what you have to do.

Well my daughter and her 3 kids will be standing outside her home of 3 years and will call a branch of dept of housing tomorrow to tell them she is now on the street and homeless.
I will post tomorrow night the out come.

Of course I would never let them sleep on the street but if she stayed with me then she isn't homeless

Last edited:
A weekly rent of $225 is damn good for a suburb a few kms north of the Melbourne CBD! I'd be peed off too if I had to go.
Looking at Brunswick East rentals, the cheapest is a one bedroom unit for $400 per week, while the cheapest house is a two bedroom townhouse for $615 per week. A far cry from the $225 that Ms Wilksch is currently paying.
I just hope she is treated fairly during the eviction process which can be very nasty at times.

A weekly rent of $225 is damn good for a suburb a few kms north of the Melbourne CBD! I'd be peed off too if I had to go.
Looking at Brunswick East rentals, the cheapest is a one bedroom unit for $400 per week, while the cheapest house is a two bedroom townhouse for $615 per week. A far cry from the $225 that Ms Wilksch is currently paying.
I just hope she is treated fairly during the eviction process which can be very nasty at times.
In Sydney you would be lucky to get a room for $225 aweek

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Thank god for people like you. Renters should appreciate there are people like your self there .I am lucky enough to own my own home.
Thank you for your nice comments, but I am nobody special. I have been thru hard times in my life, when good people helped me and I guess I just believe in paying it forward.
I only charge my tenants $300/ week for my what was a 3 bedroom house with modern kitchen and bathroom.
It had an absolutely enormous laundry which we moved to a different area and changed this large room into another bedroom
Our tenants are a young couple with a new baby girl, and I would just like to help them get on their feet. In return for doing the lawns and looking after the gardens ( which most tenants just don't do) I pay the first $400 of their electricity bill which is usually most of it.
So far it is working well.
Living in the country everything is very expensive, including paying someone to maintain the gardens, so this is a win/win for both of us.

If you are NOT going to be nice then don't say anything. The woman is just like many other Australians taken away from a home because of greedy landlords and or agents. The top end of town doesn't care about those who are down and out because of their greed and this includes both sides of government.

Reactions: Leenie and Bridgit

View attachment 28593

Key Takeaways

It is so sad it’s so many elderly people are being evicted from the homes and have no way to go. I was in the same boat for a little while. I wasn’t actually evicted as such, but I was told I had to move out because he only wanted to move back in And I had lived there for 15 years. I am 71 soon and it was so hard trying to find a new place and so overwhelming. Only a week before I had to move out. I found this place I’m in now. Yes I ay $250 a week out of my pension, and just have to be really careful on what I spend my money on to be able to have enough to pay my utilities and bills, etc.
I do have a little bit of part time work, which helps a great deal.
I am one of the lucky ones.
What are special lady that was to set up the go fund me page to this lovely lady even though she never even knew her. There are some lovely Earth angels out there.
What heart goes out to all these people who can’t find rentals and are struggling so much.😢❤️

Reactions: Leenie and Bridgit
If you are NOT going to be nice then don't say anything. The woman is just like many other Australians taken away from a home because of greedy landlords and or agents. The top end of town doesn't care about those who are down and out because of their greed and this includes both sides of government.
Who are you talking too ?

I was once a landlord in the good ole days and my property was real estate managed which takes out a lot of the stress. This was necessary as I lived over 1000 kms away in Queensland, They advised when to increase rent and by how much in accordance with the market. Same with urgent and non urgent repairs which I approved of immediately. Knowing a heap of tradies on the NSW South Coast, this was a piece of cake and mostly at "mate's rates".

Now, for me, the boot is on the other foot, where I can't get the pisspoor landlord to repair or replace the washing machine which is an urgent repair and a condition of the lease. No laundry performed since last Saturday so a call to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal is in order. :mad:

Reactions: Leenie