The Great Frozen Chip-off by Steve Collins

The Great Frozen Chip-off

chip off.png

This awesome review was put together for us by member @TheGrumpster for the frozen chip fanatics (like us) out there.

The products reviewed were:

(a) Coles Australian Potato Straight Cut Chips ($2.20)
(b) Woolworths Australian Steakhouse Chips ($2.50)
(c) Seasons Pride Straight Cut Chips from Aldi ($2.09)

According to the directions on the packets, all chips were to be cooked at 230 degrees (or 210 degrees for fan-forced ovens) for roughly the same amount of time (there was a discrepancy of two minutes from shortest to longest cook). To make it fair, I added up all the recommended times and divided them by three.

They were all cooked in the same oven simultaneously so that a variation in oven temperatures or conditions couldn’t affect the chips.

The judges were presented with several criteria upon which to base their scoring. They were asked to score between 1 to 10 for each category, with one being poor and 10 being excellent.

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Softness (for the inside)
- Flavour
- Length (based on volume - a good chip shouldn’t be too short so it was the overall look)
-Dipability (being tomato sauce, plum sauce, and softened ice cream [don’t knock it until you’ve tried it])
img20220421161507__1_.jpg
The Coles Australian Potato Straight Cut Chips were priced middle of the pack, at $2.20

The tasting panel consisted of She Who Rules the Roost (my wife), our next-door neighbours, Doug and Kate, and their son-in-law, Michael.

No salt was added to the chips but was available to use individually.

It’s always important to have a palate cleanser at any official tasting, so party pies and sausage rolls were provided for that purpose.

Drinks were consumed during the tasting process but over-indulging was not encouraged.

Each taster was presented with a score sheet. Colour and length were determined by the panel prior to the first bite being taken.

Each tester tasted chips from each plate several times before commencing writing their scores.

Discussion about the chips was not encouraged during the testing process so as not to sway another tester’s opinion.

She Who Rules the Roost doesn’t like dipping her chips into anything, so she didn’t score anything for dipability. Kate tried the tomato sauce and plum sauce but couldn’t bring herself to try the ice cream.

Both Doug and Michael tried each of the dips and the ice cream became their favourite.
img20220421161518__1_.jpg
The Woolies Australian Steakhouse Chips were the most expensive, at $2.50 per kilo

To look at the chips as they were placed on the table, the Woolworths brand did look rather anaemic compared to the other two, which were similar to each other.

The length was fairly similar for each group of chips, but Aldi did have a narrow win in this category.

The marks for flavour were similar also. Although I wasn’t scoring, I did taste each variety and, perhaps not surprisingly, they did taste pretty much the same.

Softness describes what the inside of the chip should be like. A perfectly cooked chip should be crunchy on the outside, yet nice and soft inside. Two of the testers gave equal marks to all in this category, one gave Woolworths the highest mark whilst another gave Coles the highest. I didn’t ask the testers to put their names on the score sheets.

After about 15 minutes of testing, each participant completed their score sheet and I took them to another room in order to compile the score.

No one chose the Woolworths Australian Steakhouse Chips as their favourite chip, so those chips came in third, well below the other two.
img20220421161528__1_.jpg
The winner and also the cheapest on the list, Seasons Pride Straight Cut Chips for $2.09

There was only one point difference between the other two. Coles Australian Potato Straight Cut Chips was second, leaving the Seasons Pride Straight Cut Chips from Aldi as our overall leader, but with just one point more than Coles, it seems that in the battle of the frozen home brand chips, if you can’t get to Aldi, the Coles product is almost as good. Interestingly, both the Aldi and Coles chips were cheaper than the Woolworths home brand.

Each of the tasting panel took their task seriously and was genuinely interested in participating.

What did you guys think of this review? Score one for the Aldi fans, but it seems Coles wasn't too far behind. Let us know what products you'd like us to review next.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I love this, and your panel selection. Can you do one on bacon? I buy mine from Costco because it is really thinly sliced and it’s the only one I have found that does cook up really crispy

View attachment 2996

This awesome review was put together for us by member @TheGrumpster for the frozen chip fanatics (like us) out there.

According to the directions on the packets, all chips were to be cooked at 230 degrees (or 210 degrees for fan-forced ovens) for roughly the same amount of time (there was a discrepancy of two minutes from shortest to longest cook). To make it fair, I added up all the recommended times and divided them by three.

They were all cooked in the same oven simultaneously so that a variation in oven temperatures or conditions couldn’t affect the chips.

The judges were presented with several criteria upon which to base their scoring. They were asked to score between 1 to 10 for each category, with one being poor and 10 being excellent.

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Flavour
- Length (based on volume - a good chip shouldn’t be too short so it was the overall look)
-Dipability (being tomato sauce, plum sauce, and softened ice cream [don’t knock it until you’ve tried it])

View attachment 2991
The Coles Australian Potato Straight Cut Chips were priced middle of the pack, at $2.20

The tasting panel consisted of She Who Rules the Roost (my wife), our next-door neighbours, Doug and Kate, and their son-in-law, Michael.

It’s always important to have a palate cleanser at any official tasting, so party pies and sausage rolls were provided for that purpose.

Drinks were consumed during the tasting process but over-indulging was not encouraged.

Each taster was presented with a score sheet. Colour and length were determined by the panel prior to the first bite being taken.

Each tester tasted chips from each plate several times before commencing writing their scores.

Discussion about the chips was not encouraged during the testing process so as not to sway another tester’s opinion.

She Who Rules the Roost doesn’t like dipping her chips into anything, so she didn’t score anything for dipability. Kate tried the tomato sauce and plum sauce but couldn’t bring herself to try the ice cream.

Both Doug and Michael tried each of the dips and the ice cream became their favourite.

View attachment 2990
The Woolies Australian Steakhouse Chips were the most expensive, at $2.50 per kilo

To look at the chips as they were placed on the table, the Woolworths brand did look rather anaemic compared to the other two, which were similar to each other.

The length was fairly similar for each group of chips, but Aldi did have a narrow win in this category.

The marks for flavour were similar also. Although I wasn’t scoring, I did taste each variety and, perhaps not surprisingly, they did taste pretty much the same.

Softness describes what the inside of the chip should be like. A perfectly cooked chip should be crunchy on the outside, yet nice and soft inside. Two of the testers gave equal marks to all in this category, one gave Woolworths the highest mark whilst another gave Coles the highest. I didn’t ask the testers to put their names on the score sheets.

After about 15 minutes of testing, each participant completed their score sheet and I took them to another room in order to compile the score.

No one chose the Woolworths Australian Steakhouse Chips as their favourite chip, so those chips came in third, well below the other two.

View attachment 2992
The winner and also the cheapest on the list, Seasons Pride Straight Cut Chips for $2.09

There was only one point difference between the other two. Coles Australian Potato Straight Cut Chips was second, leaving the Seasons Pride Straight Cut Chips from Aldi as our overall leader, but with just one point more than Coles, it seems that in the battle of the frozen home brand chips, if you can’t get to Aldi, the Coles product is almost as good. Interestingly, both the Aldi and Coles chips were cheaper than the Woolworths home brand.

Each of the tasting panel took their task seriously and was genuinely interested in participating.

What did you guys think of this review? Score one for the Aldi fans, but it seems Coles wasn't too far behind. Let us know what products you'd like us to review next.
I have tried all these chips and Woolworths is by far the best.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci

View attachment 2996

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Flavour

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2990

View attachment 2992

Very interesting! I would agree with that as we’ve also given Aldi 👍👍👍 for the best and cheapest chips. Nice to know others agree! Thanks!

View attachment 2996

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Flavour

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2990

View attachment 2992

Aldi wins again.

View attachment 2996

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Flavour

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2990

View attachment 2992

Thank you for your review Very interesting. I always think the cheapest seems the best In a lot of things. I am having trouble finding a gluten free frozen chip that doesn’t cost a fortune, so I revert to making my own.

• Love
Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Ok if you eat straight cut chips, our house prefers Shoestring, Sweet Potato & crinkle cut in that order. I buy generally according to price. They all seem to come out pretty good using the air fryer. :p

View attachment 2996

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Flavour

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2990

View attachment 2992

Ice cream dip??

I now cook my chips in the air fryer and they turn out A1. i like steakhouse best and shoestring would be a no no in our Darby and Joan house. Don't worry too much about the brand, generally shop for what is on special in steak cut or straight cut.

An addendum to my previous comment, was any attempt made to ascertain the origin of the chips? Buy aussie mate... I'd not be sure where Aldi get theirs from... just thinking. lol

Reactions: Ricci
An addendum to my previous comment, was any attempt made to ascertain the origin of the chips? Buy aussie mate... I'd not be sure where Aldi get theirs from... just thinking. lol
I don't shop Aldi, all their brands are very unfamiliar to me.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 2996

Those criteria were:

- Colour
- Crispness
- Flavour

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2990

View attachment 2992

I agree that Aldi chips are better than the others but the Aldi Beer Batter Pub fries are the best.

Reactions: Kgee and Ricci