The great debate on plane etiquette seat reclining

It’s one of the oldest plane etiquette debates of all time—should you recline your airline seat when you’re flying, or sit up straight for the duration of the flight to avoid annoying the passenger behind you?

As generations of travellers have asked, people online discussed the long-standing controversy between seat recliners and those who prefer to fly comfortably versus courteously.

According to a survey released by travel search engine Kayak, an overwhelming 88 per cent of US and Canadian flyers are willing to recline their seats during flights.

From June 7 to June 12, the survey took place online with respondents of 1000 adults from the US and Canada aged 18 and over who have travelled in the last three years through planes.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 130012.png
A woman vents frustration to a man who kicked his seat because it was reclined. Image: TikTok

Either way, there's no one ‘right’ answer to the question about reclining seats—its ability to cause a stir among passengers has meant that the debate has continued without much resolution in sight.

The case of an American passenger who posted a video on social media of two passengers who could be seen arguing over one opting to recline her seat.

'The whole trip, she pushed my seat,' the frustrated woman said to another passenger. 'You saw it. You know she did'.

The woman pointed out, 'I’m allowed to put my seat back'—prompting plenty of comments from other viewers in agreement.

'If the seat is reclinable, recline it,' one said.

A second added: 'You are allowed! Period! You want space in front of you instead of pushing the seat, buy a seat with extra space or get your ass to business class. Reclining was put there for a reason.'

‘She’s allowed to put her seat back. You don’t get to kick it repeatedly just because you want more space,’ another wrote.

compressed-pexels-erik-mclean-4061487.jpeg
People on social media shared their opinion on what's really the etiquette in reclining plane seats. Image: Pexels

A traveller also added: ‘She was patient enough to wait till the flight landed’.

However, not everyone took the same stance. Some flyers believe it’s against an ‘unspoken rule’ to recline one’s seat on shorter flights.

‘Putting your seat back in the coach is an unspoken thing most people don’t do. It’s really the airline’s fault because they’ve made the coach so cramped and tight that putting the seat back shouldn’t even be an option,’ one commented.

Another ongoing debate is regarding armrests—at least in the middle seat. Does the passenger in the middle seat get one, or both?

About 67.7 per cent of Aussie flyers surveyed by Compare the Market are of the opinion that the middle-seat passenger should get only one armrest, while 57 per cent said the same in the Kayak survey—though a separate poll from news.com.au revealed that over half of voters thought the middle-seat passenger should get both.

Meanwhile, a woman on a six-hour flight shared her story on social media, saying that when she reclined her seat, the person behind her immediately told her she couldn’t use her laptop.

‘So I reclined my seat and the girl behind me immediately tells me that she can’t use her laptop if I recline, didn’t ask me to “unrecline”—more of a statement with the expectation,’ the woman said.

‘So I put the seat back to normal although I want it reclined for this six-hour flight. Let it go?’

People were divided over who was in the right, but many were siding with the recliner.

At the end of the day, the best practice when reclining your seat on a plane is to exercise considerate behaviour.

So, try to be mindful of fellow passengers. If you're going to recline your seat, do it a little at a time rather than all in one go, and try not to recline it too far back.

Key Takeaways
  • The act of plane seat reclining is hotly debated among travellers, with some seeing it as an annoyance and others asserting it's their right.
  • A survey by Kayak found that 88 per cent of participants believe they should use the recline function, as it's what it was designed for.
  • The survey also revealed that 67.7 per cent of respondents believe that middle-seat passengers should not claim both armrests.
  • According to a survey by Compare the Market, 54.2 per cent of Australian travellers choose not to recline their seats, mainly to respect other passengers.

What do you think of this story? Have you had any experience on plane reclining etiquette with another passenger? Share your story with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Flown on a lot of planes, never recline on short flights.

I recall that there was, on some planes, switches on the seat rows that locked the seats upright.

Allowing the flight attendants had the power to decide when you were able to recline the seats.

But this was discontinued because it made the seats more expensive to purchase and maintain.

Ultimately it is the airlines reducing the available space and not having a policy on the use of reclining seats that are responsible for the arguments.

Leaving the staff to face the angry passengers.

I never recline on short flights, but yes, I do on long haul, but only about half the allowable distance. It's only polite and good manners to not keep your seat out of the face / stomach of the traveller behind you

I was on a flight some years ago when the people in front were most disrespectful. In front of me was a man and he reclined his seat so that I could not even have my dinner plate on the table. I asked the stewardess if she could ask him to put his seat up a little and she told me she could not as we were all allowed to use whatever space there was . the daughter was sitting two seats in front to the left and once she woke up in the morning she proceeded to do her long hair that was all over the back of the seat, all this while the person behind was having breakfast. Such a rude family.

It’s one of the oldest plane etiquette debates of all time—should you recline your airline seat when you’re flying, or sit up straight for the duration of the flight to avoid annoying the passenger behind you?

As generations of travellers have asked, people online discussed the long-standing controversy between seat recliners and those who prefer to fly comfortably versus courteously.

According to a survey released by travel search engine Kayak, an overwhelming 88 per cent of US and Canadian flyers are willing to recline their seats during flights.

From June 7 to June 12, the survey took place online with respondents of 1000 adults from the US and Canada aged 18 and over who have travelled in the last three years through planes.

View attachment 36355
A woman vents frustration to a man who kicked his seat because it was reclined. Image: TikTok

Either way, there's no one ‘right’ answer to the question about reclining seats—its ability to cause a stir among passengers has meant that the debate has continued without much resolution in sight.

The case of an American passenger who posted a video on social media of two passengers who could be seen arguing over one opting to recline her seat.

'The whole trip, she pushed my seat,' the frustrated woman said to another passenger. 'You saw it. You know she did'.

The woman pointed out, 'I’m allowed to put my seat back'—prompting plenty of comments from other viewers in agreement.

A second added: 'You are allowed! Period! You want space in front of you instead of pushing the seat, buy a seat with extra space or get your ass to business class. Reclining was put there for a reason.'

‘She’s allowed to put her seat back. You don’t get to kick it repeatedly just because you want more space,’ another wrote.

View attachment 36356
People on social media shared their opinion on what's really the etiquette in reclining plane seats. Image: Pexels

A traveller also added: ‘She was patient enough to wait till the flight landed’.

However, not everyone took the same stance. Some flyers believe it’s against an ‘unspoken rule’ to recline one’s seat on shorter flights.

‘Putting your seat back in the coach is an unspoken thing most people don’t do. It’s really the airline’s fault because they’ve made the coach so cramped and tight that putting the seat back shouldn’t even be an option,’ one commented.

Another ongoing debate is regarding armrests—at least in the middle seat. Does the passenger in the middle seat get one, or both?

About 67.7 per cent of Aussie flyers surveyed by Compare the Market are of the opinion that the middle-seat passenger should get only one armrest, while 57 per cent said the same in the Kayak survey—though a separate poll from news.com.au revealed that over half of voters thought the middle-seat passenger should get both.

Meanwhile, a woman on a six-hour flight shared her story on social media, saying that when she reclined her seat, the person behind her immediately told her she couldn’t use her laptop.

‘So I reclined my seat and the girl behind me immediately tells me that she can’t use her laptop if I recline, didn’t ask me to “unrecline”—more of a statement with the expectation,’ the woman said.

‘So I put the seat back to normal although I want it reclined for this six-hour flight. Let it go?’

People were divided over who was in the right, but many were siding with the recliner.

At the end of the day, the best practice when reclining your seat on a plane is to exercise considerate behaviour.

So, try to be mindful of fellow passengers. If you're going to recline your seat, do it a little at a time rather than all in one go, and try not to recline it too far back.

Key Takeaways

• The act of plane seat reclining is hotly debated among travellers, with some seeing it as an annoyance and others asserting it's their right.
  • A survey by Kayak found that 88 per cent of participants believe they should use the recline function, as it's what it was designed for.
  • The survey also revealed that 67.7 per cent of respondents believe that middle-seat passengers should not claim both armrests.
  • According to a survey by Compare the Market, 54.2 per cent of Australian travellers choose not to recline their seats, mainly to respect other passengers.

What do you think of this story? Have you had any experience on plane reclining etiquette with another passenger? Share your story with us in the comments below!
I used to spend a lot of my time flying and if a passenger tried to recline the seat in front of me I would jam it, usually some self important male who feels he has the right to intrude on my space, occassionaly it would be a female who would insist it was her right.

I was on a flight some years ago when the people in front were most disrespectful. In front of me was a man and he reclined his seat so that I could not even have my dinner plate on the table. I asked the stewardess if she could ask him to put his seat up a little and she told me she could not as we were all allowed to use whatever space there was . the daughter was sitting two seats in front to the left and once she woke up in the morning she proceeded to do her long hair that was all over the back of the seat, all this while the person behind was having breakfast. Such a rude family.
All flights I have been on, you are made to have your seats upright while meals are being served.

the seat recliner is there for a reason! It’s designed to recline , so if you pay for it then you are allowed to use it . I have back problems and that little recline makes a difference ! It doesn’t take up much room from the person behind and the pull down table adjusts to level accordingly. What the plane companies should do is leave more space between the seats. Tall people must be very uncomfortable! Oh but then they will charge more ! So just accept the recliner !!!

Reactions: Buff
Whatever happened to the times when air-travel had prestige? With real food? With stewardesses who didn't look like Moscow Tram Conductresses?

I simply won't fly these days unless there really is no alternative. Not even Cairns-Canberra; I'll drive four days and be happy in my own space.

There should be a notice either audible or on the screen to say reclining is available only after dark. It is not that hard to sit upright during the day.

Reactions: KaraJenna

View attachment 36355

View attachment 36356

Key Takeaways

Well as said above, courtesy plays a role when reclining a seat (which is allowed), so maybe best to recline it a little or even ask the person behind you if it will disturb them and if it won't then ask how far will be comfortable for them. It's up to the individual and would help both parties?

Reactions: KaraJenna
Flown on a lot of planes, never recline on short flights.

I recall that there was, on some planes, switches on the seat rows that locked the seats upright.

Allowing the flight attendants had the power to decide when you were able to recline the seats.

But this was discontinued because it made the seats more expensive to purchase and maintain.

Ultimately it is the airlines reducing the available space and not having a policy on the use of reclining seats that are responsible for the arguments.

Leaving the staff to face the angry passengers.
I agree, airline's fault squeezing so many seats in that results in such limited space between the seats.