The Great Australian Showdown: Which Washing Powder Won the Coles vs. Woolworths Battle?

Some of you may remember the days when washing laundry was not as simple as pouring some detergent into a machine and pressing a button.

Oh, how far we've come! From scrubbing our clothes with soap and a washboard to the ease of the washing machine and washing powder.

Now, the question arises: which washing powder does the best job? Is it Coles or Woolworths’ products that ensure our clothes smell the freshest and feel the cleanest?

A lively community of mums took up this debate and came to a resounding decision.

compressed-woolies.jpeg
As the preferred laundry detergent choice among customers, Ka pods from Woolworths have emerged as the top-performing option. Source: Woolworths

Woolworths’ 'Ka Turbocharged Laundry Capsules' were cited as the preferred choice, taking the majority vote in the group poll.

It all began when a group member asked, ‘Best washing powder that makes your clothes smell amazing?’

Gladly expressing their satisfaction, customers commonly remarked. One member responded, ‘Ka pods, they smell f****** amazing!’

Another one said, ‘Ka pods from Woolies!’

A third agreed, ‘I love the smell too!’

The Ka Pod-mania didn’t stop at the fragrance. One member shared an enlightening anecdote, 'Have to agree. They even left a scent on my kids' dad's clothes—you know, the one who's a mechanic and constantly covered in grease and oil.'

Now, that's a testimonial to note!

In this washing powder game, affordability also seemed to play a part in customers’ loyalty.

'When they're on special', suggested a budget-conscious member on the secret of buying Ka Pods.

With Ka Pods flown off the virtual shelves, other worthy contestants included OMO and ALDI’s Trimat Laundry Powder.

'I can't go past OMO pods, 50 pack for $26 at Coles.' said one group member.

compressed-omo.jpeg
OMO and ALDI's Trimat were also popular choices among the group. Source: Coles/Product Review

Now, for those with top loaders, the all-time dilemma is—'Do pods go in the loader or straight onto the clothes?' Well, they suggested, ‘Just drop it in on top of the load’.

But which product is the best?

According to a review by consumer expert CHOICE, OMO Laundry Detergent Powder holds the laurel for front-loaders with an 84 per cent CHOICE rating.

Surprisingly, the resoundingly popular Ka Pods scored a modest 61 per cent, losing points on general detergency compared to OMO.

For the top-loading bunch, ALDI's Almat won with a 62 per cent satisfaction score, with Ka Pods following behind at an overall rating of 45 per cent.

Key Takeaways
  • In the discussion about the best supermarket washing powder, Woolworths' Ka Turbocharged Laundry Capsules emerged as the crowd favourite.
  • Numerous customers echoed the sentiment, praising the outstanding smell and cleaning capabilities.
  • Other notable mentions included OMO and ALDI's Trimat Laundry Powder.
  • However, in a review conducted by CHOICE, OMO Laundry Detergent Powder for front loaders and ALDI's Almat for top loaders scored higher than KA pods in terms of effectiveness in removing tough stains and their value for money.

While we're at it, here is a little tip—it's a good idea to understand the ingredients list on the back of the washing powders.

Some chemicals might provoke allergic reactions, and excessive foam can damage your machine in the long run. A bit of care and understanding here goes a long way!

We’d like to know: Which washing powder do you prefer? Are there any other brands or products you recommend?

Sponsored
Well i buy the 4kg woolworths brand for $4. ..IT is great value and cleans everything😁

Some of you may remember the days when washing laundry was not as simple as pouring some detergent into a machine and pressing a button.

Oh, how far we've come! From scrubbing our clothes with soap and a washboard to the ease of the washing machine and washing powder.

Now, the question arises: which washing powder does the best job? Is it Coles or Woolworths’ products that ensure our clothes smell the freshest and feel the cleanest?

A lively community of mums took up this debate and came to a resounding decision.

View attachment 23924
As the preferred laundry detergent choice among customers, Ka pods from Woolworths have emerged as the top-performing option. Source: Woolworths

Woolworths’ 'Ka Turbocharged Laundry Capsules' were cited as the preferred choice, taking the majority vote in the group poll.

It all began when a group member asked, ‘Best washing powder that makes your clothes smell amazing?’

Gladly expressing their satisfaction, customers commonly remarked. One member responded, ‘Ka pods, they smell f****** amazing!’

The Ka Pod-mania didn’t stop at the fragrance. One member shared an enlightening anecdote, 'Have to agree. They even left a scent on my kids' dad's clothes—you know, the one who's a mechanic and constantly covered in grease and oil.'

In this washing powder game, affordability also seemed to play a part in customers’ loyalty.

'When they're on special', suggested a budget-conscious member on the secret of buying Ka Pods.

With Ka Pods flown off the virtual shelves, other worthy contestants included OMO and ALDI’s Trimat Laundry Powder.

View attachment 23925
OMO and ALDI's Trimat were also popular choices among the group. Source: Coles/Product Review

Now, for those with top loaders, the all-time dilemma is—'Do pods go in the loader or straight onto the clothes?' Well, they suggested, ‘Just drop it in on top of the load’.

According to a review by consumer expert CHOICE, OMO Laundry Detergent Powder holds the laurel for front-loaders with an 84 per cent CHOICE rating.

Surprisingly, the resoundingly popular Ka Pods scored a modest 61 per cent, losing points on general detergency compared to OMO.

For the top-loading bunch, ALDI's Almat won with a 62 per cent satisfaction score, with Ka Pods following behind at an overall rating of 45 per cent.

Key Takeaways

• In the discussion about the best supermarket washing powder, Woolworths' Ka Turbocharged Laundry Capsules emerged as the crowd favourite.
  • Numerous customers echoed the sentiment, praising the outstanding smell and cleaning capabilities.
  • However, in a review conducted by CHOICE, OMO Laundry Detergent Powder for front loaders and ALDI's Almat for top loaders scored higher than KA pods in terms of effectiveness in removing tough stains and their value for money.

While we're at it, here is a little tip—it's a good idea to understand the ingredients list on the back of the washing powders.

Some chemicals might provoke allergic reactions, and excessive foam can damage your machine in the long run. A bit of care and understanding here goes a long way!

We’d like to know: Which washing powder do you prefer? Are there any other brands or products you recommend?
We use Aldi Trimat!!

If you buy anything more expensive than the powders on sale at The Reject Shop, you are pissing your money against the wall. Even if you live in a hard-water area, like I do, adding a shot-glassfull of white vinegar to the rinse cycle will yield you a result at least equal to the big 'brand-name' powders at a much lower cost, even in cold water.

Reactions: Macarj and Tamaya

View attachment 23924

View attachment 23925

Key Takeaways

I use pods for washing I find coles to be the cheapest 26 pods $13.00 at woolies same pods $22 big difference

Reactions: Tamaya and Macarj

View attachment 23924

View attachment 23925

Key Takeaways

This is not what Choice said a few months ago. From memory Omo came out top with another and also a very cheap Aldi liquid (1.99 for 2 litres ) giving an 80 % plus result. It also depends on the water in your area,hot or cold wash and if it removes stains without having to use a stain remover as well. I am using Aldi's cheapest liquid and a 14 minute cold wash. True my clothes do not get dirty but a hot wash might solve that anyway. I was using the pods and found that often they did not dissolve and left a sticky gooey mess on some things - needing to be rewashed ! Everyone needs to start with the cheapest - if not happy work up in price but don't think you are getting better value by paying top dollar.

Reactions: Tamaya and Macarj
I have used Cold Power for as long as I can remember which would be too many memories of a laundry full of Dirty clothing long, however I am starting to wonder if the product works as well now in comparison to other laundry detergents, especially with the price, it is appalling how much it has increased by in the last few years .

Reactions: Tamaya
Duo at the reject shop. Best on the market and cheap as chips. 4 bucks for 5 kilo box. I also buy all my cleaning products there in bulk,shampoos and conditioners and dishwashing products. I save dollars off everything compared to the bigger supermarkets.
😮 wow ...... if the Reject Shop was not so far away (1 hour), this would obviously be the place to shop. Definitely will visit when next in either Swan Hill / Echuca or Ballarat.