SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Cranky Codger

Cranky Codger

Administrator
Oct 16, 2023
The Cranky Codger: Smartphones: The Leash We Never Knew We Needed

My dear readers, today I invite you on a jaunt down memory lane, to the days of landlines, payphones, and the blessed peace of unreachable-ness. Ah, yes, the days when "out and about" meant you were free as a bird, unshackled by the iron chains of digital connectivity. Now, lest you think I've gone and turned into some sort of nostalgia merchant peddling sepia-toned yesteryears, allow me to come to the point. I'm talking, of course, about the smartphone—or, as I like to call it, the 'Idiot's Leash.'

Yes, yes, I hear the cries already. "But it's so convenient!" "I can't live without it!" "How else will I check if the moon is made of cheese?" To that I say: Codswallop. We lived just fine for millennia without being able to Google the nutritional content of avocados whilst waiting for a bus.

Remember when we'd actually engage with the world around us? When a cafe was filled with the sweet melody of conversation, rather than the staccato clicks of little glass screens? When walking down the street didn't involve dodging the smartphone zombies ambling around with all the self-awareness of a stunned mullet? Ah, those were the days.

DALL·E 2023-10-26 13.03.40 - Cartoon of a family sitting in a living room_ parents, teenagers,...png
Do you know anyone who has become a 'captive' to their smartphone?

"But what about emergencies?" you ask. Fine, let's talk emergencies. Our parents and grandparents seemed to navigate life's myriad crises without the aid of a GPS, a pocket search engine, or the ability to call for help while simultaneously updating their 'status.' Our ancestors hunted mammoths and established civilizations; I think you can find your way to the nearest petrol station without Siri holding your hand.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a Luddite. (Well, maybe a bit, but who's counting?) I appreciate technological marvels. It's a wonder that we've crammed an entire computer into a device that fits in the palm of your hand. But must it also contain your soul? You see people at family gatherings, sitting in the same room, texting each other as if words have suddenly gone out of fashion. The art of conversation is dying, and the smartphone is gleefully digging the grave.

And let's talk about privacy, or the lack thereof. Your every movement tracked, your every preference logged, your every secret desire monetized. Smartphones have made Big Brother's job easier than stealing lollies from a baby.

So, what's the alternative? A return to carrier pigeons and smoke signals? No, although the thought does amuse me. Rather, let's practice a little restraint, shall we? Next time you're out for dinner, try putting your phone away. Look someone in the eye. Have a real conversation. Trust me, those cat videos will still be there when you get home.

But until that miraculous day when society comes to its senses, I'll remain that 'old fogey' who relishes the small joys of life without constant digital interruption. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a crossword to finish—and not on an app, mind you, but in a good, old-fashioned newspaper. How's that for a radical idea?

As always, stay cranky, my friends.

We were only able to create this content because of the financial support of SDC Rewards members. If you’d like to see more of this (and a lot fewer ads!), please consider supporting us and signing up for SDC Rewards today—it starts at just 14 cents per day.

Those were the days when we actually used a map to find streets or places. Always had one folded neatly in my glove box in the car. These days I have my Alpine touch screen that also handles Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
When not home, we were all blissfully unaware anyone wanted to contact us. People had to wait until we returned home to visit us, or ring us on the landline phone. Landline phones have converted to either mobiles or Voip phones with the internet.
I find it's the millennium age who really stomp their feet if technology doesn't work, as this age grew up with it from the get go.

Last edited:
I do not have an I phone, what amazes me is all these people who moan about the cost of living can afford to dash out and buy a new phone every time a new phone comes on the market as the price of them seem to go up each time, every time I go out on my scooter some idiot nearly gets run down through concentrating on their phone

Those were the days when we actually used a map to find streets or places. Always had one folded neatly in my glove box in the car. These days I have my Alpine touch screen that also handles Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
When not home, we were all blissfully unaware anyone wanted to contact us. People had to wait until we returned home to visit us, or ring us on the landline phone. Landline phones have converted to either mobiles or Voip phones with the internet.
I find it's the millennium age who really stomp their feet if technology doesn't work, as this age grew up with it from the get go.
Ahh! So the "get go" started in the year 2000, did it? I have always wondered where it came from.

Who remembers the old red public telephone booths ?.....I remember when it cost 4 pence to make a call and you had to line 4 pennies up in the slot before you pushed the button when someone answered and the pennies would gently roll away into the tubular container below. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end.....📞😉

Who remembers the old red public telephone booths ?.....I remember when it cost 4 pence to make a call and you had to line 4 pennies up in the slot before you pushed the button when someone answered and the pennies would gently roll away into the tubular container below. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end.....📞😉
Was that in the UK?

In Australia, we had the 5 cent "push button A and button B" models

EDIT: Nice reference to Mary Hopkins.

Well we have a landline phone still, I have a mobile that I often leave home when I go out. I mainly use it for work apps, signing in and out, training, and when I did the last census I needed it for my fieldwork. Hubby has a mobile but he only uses it to ring on if the landline isn’t working, and he will take it in the car if he is driving a fair distance in case of any emergency he might encounter. When I am home my mobile sits on the table and I will check it maybe twice a day if I think of it. Our kids will ring us on the landline if they need to contact us.

Was that in the UK?

In England we also had A and B push buttons. The A button connected the call and the B button returned the money if the call did not connect. I can recall that it was only 3 pennies for a call in those days - when I was young in the 1950's.

Reactions: Ezzy
Was that in the UK?

Veggiepatch....this was before decimal currency in Australia....we had telephone boxes everywhere, and I'm talking about late 1950's,4 Copper Australian pennies to make a phone call. oh when I was young. 🤔😏😉

Reactions: Ricki and Davmes
I carry my phone everywhere to keep track of my steps, it usually stays in my pocket and is used only as a device to receive telephone calls. It is I believe a smart phone but it does not have a smart operator so I am blissfully unaware of my facebook "friends" which I hardly know and the myriads of people I don't know who want to be friends. I occasionally catch up on messenger and even less occasionally someone will contact me on Zoom how this comes about I don't know. I remember working on a switchboard where we plugged into a party line and waited until the line was free in order to use the morse code to contact the station I needed to send telegram messages verbally for them to transcribe as I reported. We were in our 30's before we actually had a dialup telephone. WE purchased our first black and white television when colour came into, so you can see there is little geek in me (what a strange word). Is this what progress is all about.
We have a robot vacuum cleaner that is constantly calling for help which then requires a search of the house to find out its problem, usually an hour or so later when I notice a missed call from Sadie our RVC. It then wants to recharge and has trouble finding its way home and turns itself offline and requires a recharge because it has run out of power and can't find the internet connection. And I am supposed to fix it. It is supposed to reduce our workload but like many of the gadgets today it usually requires additional effort to prepare it to save us time. Oh well at least I have been able to type this message and send it electronically which sure beats the typewriter I used for years complete with up to 7 copies with carbon paper.

Veggiepatch....this was before decimal currency in Australia....we had telephone boxes everywhere, and I'm talking about late 1950's,4 Copper Australian pennies to make a phone call. oh when I was young. 🤔😏😉
I only experienced the last four months of the 1950s and I don't remember any of it! o_O

Well we have a landline phone still, I have a mobile that I often leave home when I go out. I mainly use it for work apps, signing in and out, training, and when I did the last census I needed it for my fieldwork. Hubby has a mobile but he only uses it to ring on if the landline isn’t working, and he will take it in the car if he is driving a fair distance in case of any emergency he might encounter. When I am home my mobile sits on the table and I will check it maybe twice a day if I think of it. Our kids will ring us on the landline if they need to contact us.
Don't you use NBN for the internet? You probably use a digital wireless handset

Last edited:
I carry my phone everywhere to keep track of my steps, it usually stays in my pocket and is used only as a device to receive telephone calls. It is I believe a smart phone but it does not have a smart operator so I am blissfully unaware of my facebook "friends" which I hardly know and the myriads of people I don't know who want to be friends. I occasionally catch up on messenger and even less occasionally someone will contact me on Zoom how this comes about I don't know. I remember working on a switchboard where we plugged into a party line and waited until the line was free in order to use the morse code to contact the station I needed to send telegram messages verbally for them to transcribe as I reported. We were in our 30's before we actually had a dialup telephone. WE purchased our first black and white television when colour came into, so you can see there is little geek in me (what a strange word). Is this what progress is all about.
We have a robot vacuum cleaner that is constantly calling for help which then requires a search of the house to find out its problem, usually an hour or so later when I notice a missed call from Sadie our RVC. It then wants to recharge and has trouble finding its way home and turns itself offline and requires a recharge because it has run out of power and can't find the internet connection. And I am supposed to fix it. It is supposed to reduce our workload but like many of the gadgets today it usually requires additional effort to prepare it to save us time. Oh well at least I have been able to type this message and send it electronically which sure beats the typewriter I used for years complete with up to 7 copies with carbon paper.
I keep my mobile phone with me so the kids can find me if I am not at home. Also useful to keep track of medical appointments but otherwise I don't use it much at all, certainly not any of the Apps, most of which I have deleted.

I am not attached to my mobile, often forget to put in bag when going out. Haven't noticed the world coming to an end! Must admit that any apps are more likely to be on tablet though. So not readily available while on the move. I prefer hard copy to digital and freak at the idea of being available to all and sundry 24/7! Yikes!