The cost of living crisis is now targeting Australia's favourite food

For years, nothing says breakfast like a hearty helping of Vegemite smeared on toast.

But this iconic Australian food staple is facing an uncertain future as costs continue to climb.

Australia's cost of living crisis has now reached the breakfast table, with the price of the nation's favourite spread, Vegemite, hitting an all-time high.

This iconic Aussie staple is now being sold at almost $10 for a 560g jar at Woolworths, sparking outrage among consumers.

A social media user brought this to light by sharing a photo of the Vegemite jar with its new price tag online.

'It's nearly 10 bucks for Vegemite now? And this is a low price?' they questioned.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 9.08.36 AM.png
The 560g jar of Vegemite was sold for a ‘low price’ of $9.40 at Woolworths. Credit: Reddit

The price hike comes as part of Woolworths' latest campaign to address cost of living pressures in the lead-up to the holidays. The supermarket giant has officially discounted a range of products through its 'Prices Dropped for Christmas’ and 'Low Prices' campaigns.

However, the Vegemite price has left many consumers questioning the effectiveness of these campaigns.

The post sparked a heated debate, with many users criticising Woolworths for the high price of this popular Aussie food and household staple.

'Feed your family for under $10,' one person sarcastically commented, referencing chef Curtis Stone and Coles' former 'Feed your Family' campaign, which has been widely mocked online.

Others felt patronised by the supermarket's attempt to convince customers that the new Vegemite price was a bargain.

'How they put the “LOW PRICE” tag to try and convince us feels patronising to me,' wrote one user.

Another called for transparency, saying, ‘We need an insider at Coles and Woolies to start showing the cost price of stuff. Actually, show how much price gouging is going on.’

‘It’s still overpriced, it would be so cheap to make,’ another user argued.

However, some defended the price, arguing that the size of the jar justified the cost.

'It's also over half a kilo of Vegemite. I reckon that would last the average person a long while,' one defended.

‘Yeah, I get it's pricey, but that’s a huge jar. Doesn’t seem super unreasonable to me,’ another added.

But this argument was quickly countered by those pointing out that large families, especially those with growing children, would go through the jar quickly.

The Vegemite price debate has opened up a broader discussion about the general cost of living in Australia, touching on topics from fast food prices to yearly income and minimum casual wages.

It seems that the cost of Vegemite has become a symbol of the current living crisis, with one person summing up the sentiment by declaring, 'That's an outrage, it is!'

In a previous story, Finder researched the prices of Vegemite at supermarkets throughout the years. The report analysed Vegemite’s prices in Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI, and the pricing journey of the 560-gram jar would actually surprise you, given the inflation in our country. Learn more about the research here.

Key Takeaways
  • An outraged shopper shared a photo showing 560g jars of Vegemite being sold for $9.40 at Woolworths, claiming this as evidence of the cost of living crisis.
  • Despite the high cost, the jar of Vegemite is part of Woolworths' campaign to address the cost of living pressures leading up to the holidays.
  • People on social media criticised Woolworths for charging high prices on the popular Aussie staple.
  • The cost of Vegemite started a wider debate over the cost of living in Australia, touching on issues like fast food prices, income, and minimum casual wages.

What are your thoughts on the rising cost of living in Australia? Have you noticed a significant increase in the price of your favourite products? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
When you break it down to how much you spread on a slice of toast a jar that size lasts a long time. Just wait for when it’s price reduced or shop around.

For years, nothing says breakfast like a hearty helping of Vegemite smeared on toast.

But this iconic Australian food staple is facing an uncertain future as costs continue to climb.

Australia's cost of living crisis has now reached the breakfast table, with the price of the nation's favourite spread, Vegemite, hitting an all-time high.

This iconic Aussie staple is now being sold at almost $10 for a 560g jar at Woolworths, sparking outrage among consumers.

A social media user brought this to light by sharing a photo of the Vegemite jar with its new price tag online.

'It's nearly 10 bucks for Vegemite now? And this is a low price?' they questioned.

View attachment 36092
The 560g jar of Vegemite was sold for a ‘low price’ of $9.40 at Woolworths. Credit: Reddit

The price hike comes as part of Woolworths' latest campaign to address cost of living pressures in the lead-up to the holidays. The supermarket giant has officially discounted a range of products through its 'Prices Dropped for Christmas’ and 'Low Prices' campaigns.

However, the Vegemite price has left many consumers questioning the effectiveness of these campaigns.

The post sparked a heated debate, with many users criticising Woolworths for the high price of this popular Aussie food and household staple.

'Feed your family for under $10,' one person sarcastically commented, referencing chef Curtis Stone and Coles' former 'Feed your Family' campaign, which has been widely mocked online.

Others felt patronised by the supermarket's attempt to convince customers that the new Vegemite price was a bargain.

'How they put the “LOW PRICE” tag to try and convince us feels patronising to me,' wrote one user.

Another called for transparency, saying, ‘We need an insider at Coles and Woolies to start showing the cost price of stuff. Actually, show how much price gouging is going on.’

However, some defended the price, arguing that the size of the jar justified the cost.

'It's also over half a kilo of Vegemite. I reckon that would last the average person a long while,' one defended.

‘Yeah, I get it's pricey, but that’s a huge jar. Doesn’t seem super unreasonable to me,’ another added.

But this argument was quickly countered by those pointing out that large families, especially those with growing children, would go through the jar quickly.

The Vegemite price debate has opened up a broader discussion about the general cost of living in Australia, touching on topics from fast food prices to yearly income and minimum casual wages.

It seems that the cost of Vegemite has become a symbol of the current living crisis, with one person summing up the sentiment by declaring, 'That's an outrage, it is!'

In a previous story, Finder researched the prices of Vegemite at supermarkets throughout the years. The report analysed Vegemite’s prices in Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI, and the pricing journey of the 560-gram jar would actually surprise you, given the inflation in our country. Learn more about the research here.

Key Takeaways

• An outraged shopper shared a photo showing 560g jars of Vegemite being sold for $9.40 at Woolworths, claiming this as evidence of the cost of living crisis.
  • Despite the high cost, the jar of Vegemite is part of Woolworths' campaign to address the cost of living pressures leading up to the holidays.
  • People on social media criticised Woolworths for charging high prices on the popular Aussie staple.
  • The cost of Vegemite started a wider debate over the cost of living in Australia, touching on issues like fast food prices, income, and minimum casual wages.

What are your thoughts on the rising cost of living in Australia? Have you noticed a significant increase in the price of your favourite products? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

being a Vegemite addict, both breakfast and supper delight, I hve been horrified watching the increase in pricebeing forced on the Aussie population. More $$$ for larger Jarvis notnjustificarion. The larger the jarbthe more of the vegemite children and adults alike will use. Comparative price should decrease with larger jar.. surely we should be encouraged to buy..less waste in recycle bin.

Shop around for Vegemite at better prices!

Never been a fan of Vegemite….so may I say I really do not care!! But then again my partner will not care about the price either, must have Vegemite!!

Reactions: GreenGoo
I love my Vegemite. I have to buy gluten free products so everything costs more. There are some products I just won’t buy because of the cost.

View attachment 36092

Key Takeaways

When I saw the headline I OH NO, what am i going to put on my pie

View attachment 36092

Key Takeaways

Bloody rip off supermarket's are thieves anyhow I shop around and get mine from a wholesale store and by it in 2.5kg bucket 🪣 it was around $26 + but worth the outlay and I get peanut butter the same way

• Love
Reactions: JHJ

View attachment 36092

Key Takeaways

The ONLY thing THAT $h!t is good for is to give to Cat's to bring up a hairball - works better than Catlax or any other hairball treatment and they seem to love the salty taste!
Born here in Oz and can't stand the stuff - it is disgusting, awful, spew, yeuch!

The ONLY thing THAT $h!t is good for is to give to Cat's to bring up a hairball - works better than Catlax or any other hairball treatment and they seem to love the salty taste!
Born here in Oz and can't stand the stuff - it is disgusting, awful, spew, yeuch!
Each to his/her own. I gather you don't much like the stuff!