The Chemical Imbalance Theory Of Depression Is Dead, But That Doesn’t Mean Antidepressants Don’t Work

The chemical imbalance theory of depression is well and truly dead. A paper by Joanna Moncrieff and colleagues, long-time critics of the effectiveness of antidepressants, has caused a splash. The paper provides a summary of other summaries that confirm there is no evidence to support the idea that depression is caused by disturbance of the brain’s serotonin system.

They have done us a favour by corralling the evidence that says as much, even if we already knew this to be the case.

But the death of the chemical imbalance theory has no bearing on whether antidepressants that affect the serotonin system are effective. These medications weren’t developed on this premise. In fact quite the opposite is true – the chemical imbalance theory was based on an emerging understanding of how antidepressants were shown to work.

How did the ‘chemical imbalance’ theory start?​

The first two antidepressant medications, both discovered in the 1950s, were observed to have positive effects on mood as side effects of their hoped-for functions. Iproniazid was developed as a treatment for tubercolosis, and imipramine as an antihistamine.

We know now that ipronizaid is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor– it stops the enzyme that breaks down serotonin and similar brain chemicals. But we didn’t know this when its antidepressant effects were first observed in 1952.

Imipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant and, among other effects, it blocks the reuptake of serotonin after it has been secreted, also allowing more to stay in the brain.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 16.46.24.png
The mechanism of action of antidepressants came before the chemical imbalance theory, not the other way around.Shane/Unsplash

A simple hypothesis then presented itself: if both classes of antidepressants were shown to increase brain levels of serotonin, then depression must be caused by low levels of serotonin.

Researchers set out to demonstrate this in patients with depression, showing that serotonin and its metabolites and precursors were lower in the blood, in the cerebrospinal fluid, and so on.

But these studies suffered from what we now know plagued many studies of their era, leading to the so-called “replication crisis”. Studies used small sample sizes, selectively reported their results, and if they failed to demonstrate the hypothesis, were often not reported at all. In short, the findings were unreliable, and since then larger studies and meta-analyses (which summarised the many smaller studies), made it clear the hypothesis wasn’t supported.

What’s the link between the theory and antidepressants?​

In the meantime, pharmaceutical companies spotted a clear line to communicate the effectiveness of their medications. Depression was caused by a “chemical imbalance” that could be corrected by antidepressants.

This coincided with the development of a new class of antidepressants, the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which, as their name suggests, were more selective than the tricyclic antidepressants in targeting serotonin reuptake as their mechanism of action.

These drugs – then known as Prozac, Zoloft, and Cipramil – became blockbusters, and remain widely used today (albeit with a variety of names since expiration of their patents).

Few psychiatrists with an understanding of the nuance of brain function believed the chemical imbalance theory. It never fitted with the way they could see that SSRIs worked, with serotonin function changing hours after taking the medication, but depression not showing improvement for about four weeks.

But there were, and are, many medical practitioners with less sophisticated understanding of depression and neurochemistry who were happy to repeat this message to their patients. It was an effective message, and one that took hold in the popular imagination. I have heard it repeated many times.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 16.48.31.png
SSRIs don’t work for everyone. Shutterstock

So are antidepressants effective?​

The new paper by Moncrieff and colleagues, while not saying anything new, does us all a favour by reiterating the message that has been clear for some time: there is no evidence to support the chemical imbalance theory. Their message has been amplified by the extensive media attention the article has received.

But much of the commentary has extrapolated from the study’s finding to suggest it undermines the effectiveness of antidepressants – including by the authors themselves.

This shows a misunderstanding of how medical science works. Medicine is pragmatic. Medicine has often established that a treatment works well before it has understood how it works.

Many commonly used medicines were used for decades before we understood their mechanisms of action: from aspirin to morphine to penicillin. Knowing they worked provided the impetus for establishing how they worked; and this knowledge generated new treatments.

The evidence for SSRIs being effective for depression is convincing to most reasonable assessors. They are not effective for as many people with depression as we might hope, as I have written before, but they are, overall, more effective than placebo treatments.

Critics suggest the magnitude of the difference between the medications and placebo isn’t great enough to warrant their use. That is a matter of opinion. And many people report very significant benefits, even as some people report none, or even that they have caused harm.

If it’s not a chemical imbalance, how do antidepressants work?​

In truth, we still don’t really know how or why antidepressants work. The brain is a complex organ. We still don’t have a clear idea about how general anaesthetics work. But few people would refuse an anaesthetic when contemplating serious surgery on this basis.

In the same vein, when contemplating whether an antidepressant might be an option for someone with depression, it is of little consequence that its mechanism of action is incompletely understood.

So let’s put the chemical imbalance theory to bed. We should continue our efforts to understand the nature of depression, while we keep searching for better treatments.

Attending to diet, exercise, and sleep is effective for many people with depression. Psychotherapy can be very helpful too. But many people struggle with depression despite trying these things, and it is for them that we need to keep up our efforts to find better treatments.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Christoper Davey, Head of the Department of Psychiatry, The University of Melbourne

Sponsored
I change into a horrible person without my daily Tablets. I can’t explain this either, As I have no control over my exploding behaviour if things don’t go to plan. During Covid, manufacturers of Lovan ceased, I had to try 3 other types before finding the correct one. That was a nightmare I don’t want again.

I change into a horrible person without my daily Tablets. I can’t explain this either, As I have no control over my exploding behaviour if things don’t go to plan. During Covid, manufacturers of Lovan ceased, I had to try 3 other types before finding the correct one. That was a nightmare I don’t want again.
Which one did you end up finding worked. I'm on Escitalopram I feel it doesn't really do much except maybe take the edge of my emotions.

Reactions: Ricci
I take Effexor for menopausal hot flushes & anxiety. Have been suffering from menopausal symptoms since I was 48 & now I'm approaching 78!! Effexor keeps me what I call level. Occasionally I stop taking it to see how I'm going.............nope, back on please. Anyone else like me?

Mental illness is a disorder of perception. It is the degree that determines the level at which it becomes a clinical disorder of behaviour and action. We live in a hypnotic world and constantly hypnotize ourselves through our thinking process. You may not realize that when we say positive words, we produce positive chemicals in our system. When we say negative words, we produce negative chemicals. How we feel at a given moment is a balance of these chemicals. So please do not throw the chemical imbalance theory out; it has merit. Also, please read my online articles to find out how you can stimulate your subconscious mind to make yourself happy.

The chemical imbalance theory of depression is well and truly dead. A paper by Joanna Moncrieff and colleagues, long-time critics of the effectiveness of antidepressants, has caused a splash. The paper provides a summary of other summaries that confirm there is no evidence to support the idea that depression is caused by disturbance of the brain’s serotonin system.

They have done us a favour by corralling the evidence that says as much, even if we already knew this to be the case.

But the death of the chemical imbalance theory has no bearing on whether antidepressants that affect the serotonin system are effective. These medications weren’t developed on this premise. In fact quite the opposite is true – the chemical imbalance theory was based on an emerging understanding of how antidepressants were shown to work.

How did the ‘chemical imbalance’ theory start?​

The first two antidepressant medications, both discovered in the 1950s, were observed to have positive effects on mood as side effects of their hoped-for functions. Iproniazid was developed as a treatment for tubercolosis, and imipramine as an antihistamine.

We know now that ipronizaid is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor– it stops the enzyme that breaks down serotonin and similar brain chemicals. But we didn’t know this when its antidepressant effects were first observed in 1952.

Imipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant and, among other effects, it blocks the reuptake of serotonin after it has been secreted, also allowing more to stay in the brain.

View attachment 5827
The mechanism of action of antidepressants came before the chemical imbalance theory, not the other way around.Shane/Unsplash

A simple hypothesis then presented itself: if both classes of antidepressants were shown to increase brain levels of serotonin, then depression must be caused by low levels of serotonin.

Researchers set out to demonstrate this in patients with depression, showing that serotonin and its metabolites and precursors were lower in the blood, in the cerebrospinal fluid, and so on.

But these studies suffered from what we now know plagued many studies of their era, leading to the so-called “replication crisis”. Studies used small sample sizes, selectively reported their results, and if they failed to demonstrate the hypothesis, were often not reported at all. In short, the findings were unreliable, and since then larger studies and meta-analyses (which summarised the many smaller studies), made it clear the hypothesis wasn’t supported.

What’s the link between the theory and antidepressants?​

In the meantime, pharmaceutical companies spotted a clear line to communicate the effectiveness of their medications. Depression was caused by a “chemical imbalance” that could be corrected by antidepressants.

This coincided with the development of a new class of antidepressants, the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which, as their name suggests, were more selective than the tricyclic antidepressants in targeting serotonin reuptake as their mechanism of action.

These drugs – then known as Prozac, Zoloft, and Cipramil – became blockbusters, and remain widely used today (albeit with a variety of names since expiration of their patents).

Few psychiatrists with an understanding of the nuance of brain function believed the chemical imbalance theory. It never fitted with the way they could see that SSRIs worked, with serotonin function changing hours after taking the medication, but depression not showing improvement for about four weeks.

But there were, and are, many medical practitioners with less sophisticated understanding of depression and neurochemistry who were happy to repeat this message to their patients. It was an effective message, and one that took hold in the popular imagination. I have heard it repeated many times.

View attachment 5828
SSRIs don’t work for everyone. Shutterstock

So are antidepressants effective?​

The new paper by Moncrieff and colleagues, while not saying anything new, does us all a favour by reiterating the message that has been clear for some time: there is no evidence to support the chemical imbalance theory. Their message has been amplified by the extensive media attention the article has received.

But much of the commentary has extrapolated from the study’s finding to suggest it undermines the effectiveness of antidepressants – including by the authors themselves.

This shows a misunderstanding of how medical science works. Medicine is pragmatic. Medicine has often established that a treatment works well before it has understood how it works.

Many commonly used medicines were used for decades before we understood their mechanisms of action: from aspirin to morphine to penicillin. Knowing they worked provided the impetus for establishing how they worked; and this knowledge generated new treatments.

The evidence for SSRIs being effective for depression is convincing to most reasonable assessors. They are not effective for as many people with depression as we might hope, as I have written before, but they are, overall, more effective than placebo treatments.

Critics suggest the magnitude of the difference between the medications and placebo isn’t great enough to warrant their use. That is a matter of opinion. And many people report very significant benefits, even as some people report none, or even that they have caused harm.

If it’s not a chemical imbalance, how do antidepressants work?​

In truth, we still don’t really know how or why antidepressants work. The brain is a complex organ. We still don’t have a clear idea about how general anaesthetics work. But few people would refuse an anaesthetic when contemplating serious surgery on this basis.

In the same vein, when contemplating whether an antidepressant might be an option for someone with depression, it is of little consequence that its mechanism of action is incompletely understood.

So let’s put the chemical imbalance theory to bed. We should continue our efforts to understand the nature of depression, while we keep searching for better treatments.

Attending to diet, exercise, and sleep is effective for many people with depression. Psychotherapy can be very helpful too. But many people struggle with depression despite trying these things, and it is for them that we need to keep up our efforts to find better treatments.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Christoper Davey, Head of the Department of Psychiatry, The University of Melbourne
I've tried so many antidepressants. None of them seem to work very well. I'm back on sertraline again. Better than nothing I suppose.

Thanks for sharing this information

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
Everyone is different and will react differently to different medications. Some will respond well, whilst others will have no positive effects at all. It is important to seek professional advice if you are suffering from Depression as it is vital that you receive the loving care and help that you need to get well. Stop reading website hope stories and go and visit your GP and ask for a referral to a professional who can actually help you get better. Sometimes pills are not the answer.

I never ever suffered depression or anxiety, then in November 2019 I had surgery that went very wrong and was the start of my nightmare.
I was a hard worker and loved my job. I had a busy and very hectic life which I loved.

But after this surgery my world turned upside down both physically and mentally.

I would visit my GP and he would ask if I was ok then the dam would burst. I would cry for no reason...I became a recluse just wanting to stay in my room. I still do this alot.

I've been seeing a psychologist for 18 months, I'm on antidepressants and still have a long road ahead.

I would never have thought that there would come a day when I couldn't control my mind.

I gave birth to 13 babies and not once suffered depression.

I'm writing this to tell anyone who is suffering from depression or anxiety that your not alone...seek help and first stop us your GP.

I will be honest the visits won't be pretty , it brings out alot of emotions but better than sitting and suffering by yourself.

Even reach out on here . We listen 🙂

Everyone is different and will react differently to different medications. Some will respond well, whilst others will have no positive effects at all. It is important to seek professional advice if you are suffering from Depression as it is vital that you receive the loving care and help that you need to get well. Stop reading website hope stories and go and visit your GP and ask for a referral to a professional who can actually help you get better. Sometimes pills are not the answer.

Reactions: debjoel21
Logan was a very effective medication. I am sorry to hear that it is no longer available.
Retired Clinical Nurse/Medical Centre Manager

I take Effexor for menopausal hot flushes & anxiety. Have been suffering from menopausal symptoms since I was 48 & now I'm approaching 78!! Effexor keeps me what I call level. Occasionally I stop taking it to see how I'm going.............nope, back on please. Anyone else like me?
I have been on Effexor for years now, and as you said, if I stop for two days (sometimes only one day) I feel totally out of control of my emotions, I find that I can cry for any reason 🤷🏻‍♂️. But even when I do take them as prescribed now and then I still get irritable etc. for a day or so and I have to withdraw socially for a day maybe two 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Logan was a very effective medication. I am sorry to hear that it is no longer available.
Retired Clinical Nurse/Medical Centre Manager
I really loved that little green and white tablet, it was my friend truly. The pharmacist said it’s exactly the same as Fluoxatine, but my body knew otherwise. Could have been the coating, the colouring, can’t explain the difference, now on Escitalopram, brilliant tablet and I have my friend back again. When I say that word, it sounds like I’m sitting in a pram!!

• Haha
That's the one I'm on the 10mg 2 tablets once aday. I find it just takes the edge of and sort of numbs me of feelings , but it doesn't make me better. Are you on 10mg
On 1 x10 mg per day, and it dulls my feelings, making me a rather detached person, I can’t cry, BUT I am just happy. Cannot do without them, so keep persevering and also I have found diamond painting a very relaxing hobby. You heard of it? I just love the creating of a picture, the framing, then the giving away bit, it just gives me a buzz! Have a good day won’t you?