The ‘selfish’ trend among seniors is gaining popularity—is it fair?

In a society where the generational divide is often discussed in terms of technological savvy or cultural touchstones, a new trend is highlighting a more financial aspect of the gap between older and newer generations.

It's called SKI, or 'Spending Kids' Inheritance', and it's a movement that's gaining traction among older Australians, much to the chagrin of some in the younger generations.

The concept of SKI is straightforward: rather than saving and scrimping to leave an inheritance for their children, an increasing number of older generations are choosing to spend their hard-earned money on themselves.

This could mean travelling the world, indulging in hobbies, or simply enjoying a comfortable retirement without concern for what's left behind.

This trend, which some might label ‘selfish’, is sparking heated debates across family dinner tables and online. But is it as straightforward as it seems?

shutterstock_2283287527.jpg
Older generations are spending their hard-earned money on themselves with the latest trend. Credit: Shutterstock

Trudy Wertheim, a single mum in her 50s, subscribes to the SKI philosophy. After years of hard work and dedication to supporting her family, she's looking forward to her retirement.

She believed that her children, now in their 30s, were supportive of her decision to use her savings for her happiness.

‘There is a whole generation of kids being raised, who perhaps their carers didn’t instil in them from an early age, that if you do work hard, you can have everything you want out of life and more,’ she said.

‘There are generations coming through that just don’t expect to work. They expect to inherit or be given or bought a family home by their parents.’

‘They’ve never said to me, “We expect you to not spend your hard-earned savings because that’s ours,”’ she said.

‘Never has that come out of their mouth. My children have said to me, “Go and live your life. Do what you want to do. We just want you to be happy mum”.’

She's instilled a strong work ethic in her children, and they've expressed that they want nothing more than for their mum to live her life to the fullest.

The SKI movement raises important questions about the expectations of inheritance and the responsibilities of parents towards their adult children.

Some parents help their children financially while still alive, perhaps contributing towards education or a house deposit.

However, as Wertheim pointed out, this can lead to its own set of complications, especially when trying to be fair to all children, regardless of their circumstances.

The debate is further complicated by the stark reality facing many young Australians today.

According to a 2020 report from the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, ‘almost half’ of young Australians may not own property by the age of 54.

With house prices soaring and the rental market becoming increasingly unaffordable, many people's dream of homeownership is slipping away.

In the 1980s, older generations were entering the housing market at a time when the average wage was around $13,458, and the median house price was 2.9 times that amount.

Today, the average wage in Australia is $98,000 a year, with median house prices in Sydney and Melbourne reaching upwards of 10 times this figure.

While slightly more affordable in other capital cities, the disparity between income and housing costs remains a significant hurdle.

Supporters of the SKI movement argue that they've earned the right to spend their money as they see fit, and that younger generations should not feel entitled to an inheritance.

‘My kids are happy for me to spend it. They can have our house, which is more than I got when my parents passed away,’ wrote one.

‘They earned it, and they can spend it. So many entitled people,’ said another.

A third added: ‘The kids inherit your house. Your money is your business to spend how you like.’
Key Takeaways
  • Older generations in Australia are engaging in a trend known as SKI, or 'spending kids' inheritance', to use up their savings rather than leaving an inheritance for their children.
  • The SKI trend is creating controversy, with some seeing it as unfairly depriving younger generations, while others argue that it encourages a necessary shift in mindset away from dependence on inheritance.
  • A single mum, Trudy Wertheim, shared her support for the SKI philosophy, emphasising that she taught her children the value of hard work and did not feel obligated to leave an inheritance.
  • There is an increasing difficulty young Australians face in achieving home ownership, with current house prices being significantly disproportionate to average wages compared to several decades ago.
Where do you stand on the SKI movement? Have you embraced the trend of spending your kids' inheritance, or do you plan to leave something behind for the next generation? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I had a very small inheritance when my parents died some 40 years ago. But not enough to do anything much at all even the furniture didn't sell in those times.I was still married to my first husband then& he managed to cheat me out of my share of the house as did my 2nd husband. I was truly an armature at dealing with cruel men. now my kids don't expect anything from me as all I have is my pension. Even my carer the wonderful ex- son-in-law has a good saying "What goes round comes around" whenever I ask him to pick me up something. Knowing there will be nothing left when I go.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I was very lucky to have very well off parents, and they helped me, my sister and my brother with things like mortgage payments when I was sick and couldn't work for three months. My sister, brother and I inherited a nice amount of money when they died within five months of each other. There was no house, as it was sold when they went into care. Dad was a depression child and very careful with money.

Our son on the other hand will inherit our house and what little money we have - thank you Nigerian scammers. Every time the discussion comes up, he tells us to spend our money, because he says he doesn't want it or need it.

I am in my 70s and while having a great childhood I and my siblings were left little, but it did not harm me, end of discussion. I have seen what many did with inheritances and have seldom been inspired by the results.

Totally agree with all that has been said. I have struggled as a single my whole life to pay off the mortgage and make ends meet. There were no grants or schemes to help back then, and high interest rates , as has already been spent. Inhertiance isn't an entitlement. When my my mum died there was no inheritance as dad still had to live which he did til 2 years ago at 94. I don't have children, but one niece who is close with me, said don't hold back on spending for yourself in order to give me something. She knows the home and what's in it will be hers. She doesn't want to see me in aged care unless medically required, and she and her new husband said to not worry they will look after me. And to please enjoy what money I have to enjoy my retirement which starts end of the year and I'll be 69. They said if you live like your dad did, you will need that money. Their beliefs are the same as what has been expressed here. Like me, she didn't have the bank of mum and dad either. And after working 50 years she said you deserve to have what you want and do what you want.

Our son has always said that we should enjoy our retirement. He expects nothing from us as he works hard and has a good salary. Today's children expect everything to be given to them without lifting a finger to do any work at all. They need to grow up.

Reactions: Jash
I couldn't have any children, that's life so you move on & deal with it your own way.
Spend your money as you see fit people, you don't need to give your hard earned money to your kids. You raised them for up to 20 + years it's your turn now.

The REAL issue in terms of the disparity in the housing market is that in the 50's-70's when those parents entered the housing market, that 'entry' consisted mostly of a simple 2-bed, 1-bath fibro cottage with an iron roof in a purpose-built workers suburb created by the government. So obviously housing costs as a % of wages was much lower. Todays 'starter homes' are virtual mansions with multiple bathrooms, 3 or 4 bedrooms and a double garage made of brick and tile. These are built in elaborate suburbs created by developers for maximum profits. If people and governments REALLY want to bring down housing costs and reduce the cost-of-living pressures that people are facing, go back to the 3-tiers of government working together to create suburbs of workers-cottage style starter homes. Today's equivalent of that would probably be something like a 400-500 square metre block with a 2-bed, 1 bath cement block cottage with a skillion cement roof to easily mount solar panels onto. These could be built very cheaply and easily by the thousands, even connected as rows of terraces, but NO, people's expectations of what are 'starter-homes' must consist of today are dictated by developer's profits, not people's most basic needs.

Reactions: BellaB18
We have had the discussion with our kids and we are all agreed that they will get equal shares in our house and any remaining assets. Our Super is not included in that because that is what we are living on, but any residual super will be shared evenly by the grand kids. They can all fight over furniture, tools and whatever else they find.

Reactions: BellaB18
Its interesting when many of these entitled inheritance waiters are either living on welfare or spending way beyonnd their means. They think nothing of ordering Uber Eats and clubbing but don't have any money left for essentials like rent, insurance, medical expenses, new tyres, etc.

I was talking to my sister this morning and she said she had just paid for her granddaughter's car registration, new tyres and a SPERS debt of $700.00. Yet granddaughter thinks nothing of ordering Uber Eats and takeawys evey day and clubbing every other night despite having a new baby. My sister worked most of her life while rearing three children.

As far as I'm concerned my parents kept me safe although I was a result of their selfish sex life, (this is something never discussed, and long before the pill perhaps one or both, had an aversion to the smell of burning rubber?) kept me fed, kept a roof over my head had me educated, the list goes on but the one thing that was never expected was that once we were adults, were they financially responsible for our wellbeing, but rather the other way around.

• Haha
Reactions: Gaena
My kids don't have any inheritance for me to spend, and I don't believe any other kids whose parents are still living do either. Inheritance is an entitlement granted in the Will of a deceased person. And it isn't necessarily granted to their children either - although some very bad laws sometimes wrongly overturn the wishes of the deceased in favour of a greedy child or children.

What my husband and I have today is ours to spend on our retirement. Nobody else has any claim on it. If there is some left AFTER we die, our children and grandchildren will benefit. Lucky them! They should be deeply grateful for anything they receive but expect NOTHING. We earned what we have. It's ours and ours alone. We educated our children. We gave them every opportunity we could in life. We taught them the value of work and saving. We tried to teach good money management habits. We owe them NOTHING. And happily, they expect nothing.

And by the way, we bought our house in the early 70s and it cost us more than 7 times our income, for a 30-year-old run-down 2-bedroom cottage in need of extensive renovation, in the worst possible position on a highway in a country town. And the interest rate was 7.5% and rising. And we only had one wage and no childcare help to enable me to go to work. I worked nights on the weekends and took in ironing and sewing and made and sold tomato sauce from home-grown tomatoes. My husband worked two jobs. Anything to scrape up enough to get by, with a special needs child costing us a lot and no NDIS either!

'although some very bad laws sometimes wrongly overturn the wishes of the deceased in favour of a greedy child or children.'

Too true to be funny.

Whilst I would rather be SKIing, there are too many Scrooge McDucks quacking away about it's all mine, all mine. If your kids are bludgers, how did YOU the bring them up to be the bludgers that they are?

Start by making them walk to primary school, hail, rain or shine, not carting them there every day in mummy's new SUV.

Its interesting when many of these entitled inheritance waiters are either living on welfare or spending way beyonnd their means. They think nothing of ordering Uber Eats and clubbing but don't have any money left for essentials like rent, insurance, medical expenses, new tyres, etc.

I was talking to my sister this morning and she said she had just paid for her granddaughter's car registration, new tyres and a SPERS debt of $700.00. Yet granddaughter thinks nothing of ordering Uber Eats and takeawys evey day and clubbing every other night despite having a new baby. My sister worked most of her life while rearing three children.
"when many of these entitled inheritance waiters are either living on welfare". How many in comparison with those who are not? Has anyone done a survey? Just curious, not critical. If young and fit and they chuck their futures away like that, let them and don't offer support. They'll learn when most of them hit their late 20s.

It’s not selfish of the parents. The kids are being selfish. Their parents have earned the money and they can spend it however they want. The kids need to get off their backsides and earn their own money
Could not agree more. Thankfully my son and family do not expect an inheritance. Must admit we do joke about it and at times I say to them "just spending your inheritance". If you can help your family at all that is what you should be doing.

More fool her, she certainly isn't teaching her any life lessons.
She'll come down with a crash one day.

I embravce the SKI movement, your money, your choice what to do with it. You had to work hard to get that money. So should the kids. I encouraged my parents to go on SKI holidays all the time.

Spending kids inheritance what a load of c---p our children have never assumed an inheritance nor they should we older people worked and paid high taxes now having said all that there will be assets and obviously some money left for our children and I have already warned them if they fight over them I will come back and haunt them

Reactions: mylittletibbies