Thailand confirms case of new mpox strain spreading from Africa

As we navigate the ever-changing global health landscape, a new concern has emerged.

Thailand has recently confirmed a case of mpox, specifically the clade 1b strain, which is currently spreading in parts of Africa.

This development has raised alarm bells worldwide, as it marks only the second confirmed case of this variant outside the African continent.

The individual at the centre of this case is a 66-year-old man from a European country who had recently arrived in Thailand from an unspecified African nation where the disease is prevalent.

According to Thongchai Keeratihattayakorn, the director-general of Thailand's Department of Disease Control, ‘The test results confirm he is infected with the clade 1b strain of monkeypox, which is the first case diagnosed in Thailand, but this man is likely infected from an endemic country.’

shutterstock_2503358573.jpg
Thailand confirmed the case of mpox is a new strain spreading from Africa. Credit: Shutterstock

Mpox is a viral disease similar to smallpox, though typically less severe. It can spread through close contact, including direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or bodily fluids, respiratory droplets during prolonged face-to-face contact, and contaminated materials such as bedding.

The clade 1b strain, particularly, has sparked global concern due to its apparent ease of transmission through routine close contact.

The situation is being taken very seriously by health authorities worldwide.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the recent outbreak of the disease a public health emergency of international concern after the new variant was identified.

In response to the confirmed case, Thai authorities have conducted contact tracing but have not detected other local infections.

The patient had also transited through a Middle Eastern country before arriving in Thailand, although the specific country has not been named.

While Thailand has detected 800 cases of mpox clade 2 since 2022, this is the first instance of clade 1 or clade 1b variants being identified in the country.

Meanwhile, Singapore's health ministry has reported 13 cases of mpox clade 2 infections this year, all of which have been described as 'less severe' clade 2 infections.

As a precautionary measure, Singapore will begin screening the temperatures of travelers arriving at Changi and Seletar airports from areas with a risk of mpox outbreaks starting Friday.

This is part of the government's efforts to monitor the global situation and protect public health closely.

Key Takeaways

• Thailand has confirmed a case of the mpox clade 1b strain, marking the second confirmed case of the variant outside Africa.
  • The infected individual is a 66-year-old European man who travelled from an African country where the disease is spreading.
  • The World Health Organisation has declared the recent outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
  • Thai authorities are being vigilant, having already detected 800 cases of mpox clade 2, and are now monitoring the global situation closely.
Have you altered your travel plans due to the recent mpox cases? How do you stay informed and prepared for such health concerns? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well this comes as no surprise that ANOTHER virus has appeared! COVID 19 didnt have quite the desired effect on people..most people are awake now to the Globalist plans and won’t fall for another so called infectious virus!! The WHO should not have the right to make world wide decisions regarding health matters….its only a matter of time before “they” deem one of their possibly man made diseases like COVID was and try and get us to take a vaccine like the last time… I never took it for COVID jab and I’ll not take a jab for any of their other planned viruses..it’s all part of the major plan these Globalist have for the world…big Pharma is being backed by them and making a lot of money from these so called vaccines.. BEWARE ALL…don’t fall for “thier” plan again..

Well this comes as no surprise that ANOTHER virus has appeared! COVID 19 didnt have quite the desired effect on people..most people are awake now to the Globalist plans and won’t fall for another so called infectious virus!! The WHO should not have the right to make world wide decisions regarding health matters….its only a matter of time before “they” deem one of their possibly man made diseases like COVID was and try and get us to take a vaccine like the last time… I never took it for COVID jab and I’ll not take a jab for any of their other planned viruses..it’s all part of the major plan these Globalist have for the world…big Pharma is being backed by them and making a lot of money from these so called vaccines.. BEWARE ALL…don’t fall for “thier” plan again..
What an ignorant reply... better shuffle off to the supermarket to buy some more tin foil for your hat!

Well,,, less severity than smallpox,,,,, hmmmmm think I’ll just keep living my life without worrying about catching a cold etc !
Bloody criminals stirring up the oldies with this B.S. !!

I totally agree,,,, the problem we face is the Sheeple who get organised for their daily dose @ 5.55pm every night, a brain infusion of garbage and steering, so guess WHO gets to roll out more in arm trials !
Literally doomed

You are quite welcome to die from any virus you care to in defence of Trumpistannian civilisation. Don't expect a medal. Ditto Rickcb63 et alia. Just beware of sprinkling sea-salt on your food; it is full of microchips so that the ELITES can gain control of your very thoughts let alone your bodily fluids.

Last edited:
Ever heard of doubling times? 1 can become 6 000 000 in about 24 days, although monkey pox probably won't spread quite so quickly as it is primarily a contagious illness, and not yet a pulmonary infection. However, it seems to do well in Africa, albeit a bit more slowly than would smallpox if vaccination and the WHO had not ended that type of pandemic.

Wow you anti vaxxers know it all! 🤬

Reactions: siameezer
No we are just people that think for themselves and are not lead .
I base my conclusions to an issue based on observation and evidence, not feelings and beliefs and most definitely not what somebody else thinks.

THINKS being the operative word, not KNOWS! When one thinks about a subject, they prove know little or nothing about that subject.

Example: I think that more people live in Australia than Nigeria as opposed to I know that more people live in Nigeria than live in Australia.

Reactions: Rob44
I base my conclusions to an issue based on observation and evidence, not feelings and beliefs and most definitely not what somebody else thinks.

THINKS being the operative word, not KNOWS! When one thinks about a subject, they prove know little or nothing about that subject.

Example: I think that more people live in Australia than Nigeria as opposed to I know that more people live in Nigeria than live in Australia.
l

And good for you for thinking for yourself Veggie.

Reactions: Veggiepatch