Thailand confirms case of new mpox strain spreading from Africa

As we navigate the ever-changing global health landscape, a new concern has emerged.

Thailand has recently confirmed a case of mpox, specifically the clade 1b strain, which is currently spreading in parts of Africa.

This development has raised alarm bells worldwide, as it marks only the second confirmed case of this variant outside the African continent.

The individual at the centre of this case is a 66-year-old man from a European country who had recently arrived in Thailand from an unspecified African nation where the disease is prevalent.

According to Thongchai Keeratihattayakorn, the director-general of Thailand's Department of Disease Control, ‘The test results confirm he is infected with the clade 1b strain of monkeypox, which is the first case diagnosed in Thailand, but this man is likely infected from an endemic country.’

shutterstock_2503358573.jpg
Thailand confirmed the case of mpox is a new strain spreading from Africa. Credit: Shutterstock

Mpox is a viral disease similar to smallpox, though typically less severe. It can spread through close contact, including direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or bodily fluids, respiratory droplets during prolonged face-to-face contact, and contaminated materials such as bedding.

The clade 1b strain, particularly, has sparked global concern due to its apparent ease of transmission through routine close contact.

The situation is being taken very seriously by health authorities worldwide.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the recent outbreak of the disease a public health emergency of international concern after the new variant was identified.

In response to the confirmed case, Thai authorities have conducted contact tracing but have not detected other local infections.

The patient had also transited through a Middle Eastern country before arriving in Thailand, although the specific country has not been named.

While Thailand has detected 800 cases of mpox clade 2 since 2022, this is the first instance of clade 1 or clade 1b variants being identified in the country.

Meanwhile, Singapore's health ministry has reported 13 cases of mpox clade 2 infections this year, all of which have been described as 'less severe' clade 2 infections.

As a precautionary measure, Singapore will begin screening the temperatures of travelers arriving at Changi and Seletar airports from areas with a risk of mpox outbreaks starting Friday.

This is part of the government's efforts to monitor the global situation and protect public health closely.

Key Takeaways

• Thailand has confirmed a case of the mpox clade 1b strain, marking the second confirmed case of the variant outside Africa.
  • The infected individual is a 66-year-old European man who travelled from an African country where the disease is spreading.
  • The World Health Organisation has declared the recent outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
  • Thai authorities are being vigilant, having already detected 800 cases of mpox clade 2, and are now monitoring the global situation closely.
Have you altered your travel plans due to the recent mpox cases? How do you stay informed and prepared for such health concerns? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I wish people could keep their viruses in their own country and not spread it with us and other countries.😤

No we are just people that think for themselves and are not lead .
When I was a young lad I had toy aeroplanes made from lead and also toy soldiers; I though lead people would have been illegal these days as kids may put them in their mouths. You may think what you wish, but don't cough in public should you catch any respiratory virus and isolate yourself so you s don't pass such a virus around. Should you catch monkeypox, keep clear of those you may wish to be physically close to. Then the rest of us might stay safe. That is merely being thoughtful and polite.

Reactions: Abby2 and siameezer
I wish people could keep their viruses in their own country and not spread it with us and other countries.😤
It is quite difficult to confine a disease within one country's boundaries with the abundance of international travel. Closing of borders invariably occur after a disease in detected in that country, not before. In other words, the authorities are reactive, not proactive.

When I was a young lad I hade toy aeroplanes made from lead and also toy soldiers; I though lead people would have been illegal these days as kids may put them in their mouths. You may think what you wish, but don't cough in public should you catch any respiratory virus and isolate yourself so you s don't pass such a virus around. Should you catch monkeypox, keep clear of those you may wish to be physically close to. Then the rest of us might stay safe. That is merely being thoughtful and polite.
Oh for goodness sake so l accidentally added an 'a' to easily led .Are you so perfect that you don't make mistakes!.l don't wish to get into an argument with you regarding anti-vaxxer and l was only agreeing with another person.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
It is quite difficult to confine a disease within one country's boundaries with the abundance of international travel. Closing of borders invariably occur after a disease in detected in that country, not before. In other words, the authorities are reactive, not proactive.
Except that Scott Morrison and the LNP were inactive in regard to Covid. Unless of course they wanted to watch an Ashes Test Match; then they were inversely pro-active.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Oh for goodness sake so l accidentally added an 'a' to easily led .Are you so perfect that you don't make mistakes!.l don't wish to get into an argument with you regarding anti-vaxxer and l was only agreeing with another person.
Sorry; yous eem tlacka sense of humour......I think the antivax argument is dead and done. There are plenty dead and not enough vaccination has been done.

Sorry; yous eem tlacka sense of humour......I think the antivax argument is dead and done. There are plenty dead and not enough vaccination has been done.
l have a good sense of humour actually but l try not to make others feel stupid just for laugh.

Mpox is an infection caused by monkeypox virus
Infection mostly happens from direct skin to skin or sexual activity. People at highest risk of mpox in NSW are men who have sex with men.
Symptoms usually begin 3-21 days after exposure.

Some people get early symptoms such as:

• fever or chills
  • headache
  • muscle aches and back ache
  • tiredness
  • swollen lymph nodes.
Usual symptoms include:

• rashes, pimple-like lesions or sores, particularly in areas that are hard to see such as the genitals, anus or buttocks
  • ulcers, lesions or sores in the mouth
  • rectal pain (pain in and around the anus), which may occur without a rash.
People with mpox may be infectious up to 4 days before symptoms start.
There is a vaccine to protect against mpox called JYNNEOS. Find out who should be vaccinated and how to book your vaccination at mpox vaccination.

Mpox is an infection caused by monkeypox virus
Infection mostly happens from direct skin to skin or sexual activity. People at highest risk of mpox in NSW are men who have sex with men.
Symptoms usually begin 3-21 days after exposure.

Some people get early symptoms such as:

• fever or chills
  • headache
  • muscle aches and back ache
  • tiredness
  • swollen lymph nodes.
Usual symptoms include:

• rashes, pimple-like lesions or sores, particularly in areas that are hard to see such as the genitals, anus or buttocks
  • ulcers, lesions or sores in the mouth
  • rectal pain (pain in and around the anus), which may occur without a rash.
People with mpox may be infectious up to 4 days before symptoms start.
There is a vaccine to protect against mpox called JYNNEOS. Find out who should be vaccinated and how to book your vaccination at mpox vaccination.
I read that in the DRC 60% of monkey-pox sufferers are children under 15. Congo (DRC) has reported more than 27,000 suspect monkey-pox cases and more than 1,300 deaths (that's approx 1 in 20 sufferers dead). It should be avoidable easily in Oz (good hygiene, less bodily contact and there is a vaccine available anyway).

Wow you anti vaxxers know it all! 🤬
I think anti-vaxxers are agent provacateurs working on behalf of the Deep State and the ELITES to make us reveal our thoughts and experiences so that when 1984 comes to be...........AAAAAGH someone is banging on the door! Oh, it's lunch-time.

I think anti-vaxxers are agent provacateurs working on behalf of the Deep State and the ELITES to make us reveal our thoughts and experiences so that when 1984 comes to be...........AAAAAGH someone is banging on the door! Oh, it's lunch-time.
Dear Rob so you wouldn't be one of these provacateurs then seeing you can't seem to stop going on about anti-vaxxers LOL Hope you had a good lunch.