TGA’s reform set to reduce paracetamol pack sizes across Australia

As we navigate the ever-changing landscape of healthcare regulations, a significant shift is coming to one of Australia's most commonly reached-for remedies: paracetamol.

Known for its efficacy in relieving pain and reducing fever, paracetamol has been a staple in medicine cabinets across the nation.

However, in a move that may surprise many, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has announced reforms that will see a reduction in the number of pills per pack of this ubiquitous drug.

Starting now, with a full rollout expected by February next year, the pack sizes of over-the-counter paracetamol products, including the widely used Panadol, will be reduced.

Supermarkets and convenience stores, which have traditionally sold Panadol in packs of 20 tablets, will now offer packs containing only 16 tablets.

shutterstock_2298876855.jpg
TGA’s reform sets to cut down paracetamol pack sizes. Credit: Shutterstock

This change is part of the TGA's broader initiative to minimise the risk of serious injury and accidental overdoses associated with paracetamol.

The decision follows an independent report commissioned by the TGA, which examined the incidence of paracetamol overdoses.

Dr Rose Cairns, a key author of the report, highlighted the potential harm an overdose can cause to the liver, emphasising the importance of these regulatory changes.

'These changes just bring us in line with many other countries which have these smaller pack sizes as the default that's available,' Cairns explained.

'This is not banning paracetamol; people will still be able to get the big packs if they need them.'

For those who rely on larger quantities of paracetamol, such as bulk packs sold in pharmacies, there will be a significant reduction in size.

In New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory, bulk packs will be halved from 100 tablets to 50.

In Queensland and Western Australia, a maximum of 16 tablets will be available over the counter, with larger packs obtainable only through a pharmacist.

Haleon ANZ, the pharmaceutical company behind Panadol, has assured customers that there will be no supply issues despite the changes.

Elena Pintado, Haleon ANZ's Head of Pain, stated, ‘People will start to notice changes to the pack sizes of paracetamol products across Australia.’

'There is a big effort behind the scenes to make sure we have continued supply.'
Key Takeaways
  • Paracetamol pack sizes are being reduced across Australia due to Therapeutic Goods Administration reforms aimed at preventing overdoses.
  • From February, over-the-counter paracetamol will be sold in smaller pack sizes, with Panadol packets reduced from 20 to 16 tablets in supermarkets and convenience stores.
  • Larger bulk packs, previously containing up to 100 tablets or capsules, will now only be available from behind the pharmacy counter, with some states imposing further restrictions on quantities available over the counter.
  • The price of Panadol is expected to decrease with the pack size, but the effectiveness of the drug will not be affected, ensuring continued access for those in need.
How will the reduced pack sizes affect you? Do you support the TGA's decision to prioritise safety, or do you have concerns about accessibility? Join the conversation below!

Sponsored
Now is the time to stock up while we can still buy packs of 100 tabs. I already have a supply on hand but will definitely increase my stock as I need to take Panadol daily for pain so that I can do my housework & some gardening. Without them I would be confined to my chair for many hours a day.