TGA’s reform set to reduce paracetamol pack sizes across Australia

As we navigate the ever-changing landscape of healthcare regulations, a significant shift is coming to one of Australia's most commonly reached-for remedies: paracetamol.

Known for its efficacy in relieving pain and reducing fever, paracetamol has been a staple in medicine cabinets across the nation.

However, in a move that may surprise many, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has announced reforms that will see a reduction in the number of pills per pack of this ubiquitous drug.

Starting now, with a full rollout expected by February next year, the pack sizes of over-the-counter paracetamol products, including the widely used Panadol, will be reduced.

Supermarkets and convenience stores, which have traditionally sold Panadol in packs of 20 tablets, will now offer packs containing only 16 tablets.

shutterstock_2298876855.jpg
TGA’s reform sets to cut down paracetamol pack sizes. Credit: Shutterstock

This change is part of the TGA's broader initiative to minimise the risk of serious injury and accidental overdoses associated with paracetamol.

The decision follows an independent report commissioned by the TGA, which examined the incidence of paracetamol overdoses.

Dr Rose Cairns, a key author of the report, highlighted the potential harm an overdose can cause to the liver, emphasising the importance of these regulatory changes.

'These changes just bring us in line with many other countries which have these smaller pack sizes as the default that's available,' Cairns explained.

'This is not banning paracetamol; people will still be able to get the big packs if they need them.'

For those who rely on larger quantities of paracetamol, such as bulk packs sold in pharmacies, there will be a significant reduction in size.

In New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory, bulk packs will be halved from 100 tablets to 50.

In Queensland and Western Australia, a maximum of 16 tablets will be available over the counter, with larger packs obtainable only through a pharmacist.

Haleon ANZ, the pharmaceutical company behind Panadol, has assured customers that there will be no supply issues despite the changes.

Elena Pintado, Haleon ANZ's Head of Pain, stated, ‘People will start to notice changes to the pack sizes of paracetamol products across Australia.’

'There is a big effort behind the scenes to make sure we have continued supply.'
Key Takeaways
  • Paracetamol pack sizes are being reduced across Australia due to Therapeutic Goods Administration reforms aimed at preventing overdoses.
  • From February, over-the-counter paracetamol will be sold in smaller pack sizes, with Panadol packets reduced from 20 to 16 tablets in supermarkets and convenience stores.
  • Larger bulk packs, previously containing up to 100 tablets or capsules, will now only be available from behind the pharmacy counter, with some states imposing further restrictions on quantities available over the counter.
  • The price of Panadol is expected to decrease with the pack size, but the effectiveness of the drug will not be affected, ensuring continued access for those in need.
How will the reduced pack sizes affect you? Do you support the TGA's decision to prioritise safety, or do you have concerns about accessibility? Join the conversation below!

Sponsored
I agree as I said in my previous post.Paracetamol definitely kills,but it happens when it's done on purpose as your mum sadly did.I don't think reducing the tablets in supermarkets by 5 is going to go it.Plus you just get more boxes at different chemists
,unless we are now going to have to show our drivers licence as goes on national recorded,when you buy sudafed with the pseudoephedrine which happens to me once in a few years, when I get severe sinus pain and that one is the only one that does it for me. I am made to feel like a junkie at 64 years old and the funny thing,?it's not even on script,!!!you can still buy it,just have to go through the hundred hoops for a box of tenIf it's so dangerous,put it on script.Sorry about your mum veggie
Me too Vegie. So sorry about your mum ❤️😘

What a load of BS ! As if 4 tablets were going to make a difference. I very much doubt 16 or even 20 Panadol would cause death! If they are that dangerous why aren’t they pharmacy only ? Also what’s to stop people buying more than one packet ? I usually buy Panamax, 100 for $3 or $4 🤷‍♀️
This story is about paracetamol,but a little off sided.When on holiday in Spain over 10 years ago hubby got a flu from a bloke on out tour that coughed in his face,yes he did,anyway I'm Spain a week later,my hubby popped in to visit his uncle and asked for a few Panadol as it had not cleared and still wasn't 100 percent.Auntie rushed out and gave him the box ,he took two and within 5-7inuted he said that he had never felt well so quickly in his life.Later that afternoon in our hotel,I started reading the box etc while hubby had a shower.My Spanish was pretty hodbut I was confused as kept reading 1gram.
Then it dawned on me,we ate told to take two 500 mg for every dose of Panadol
Over there the dose is the same they just put it in one capsule 1mg one tablet per gose,so hubby had taken the equivalent of 4 of out tablets.No wonder he got such good results!!
Why don't we do the same,adults dose is always 2x500 mg so we get half out of our packets as opposed to them and for a cheaper price by the way we compared.Intetesting????
If you are a teenager you are on 1000 as well and younger ones have syrup and you can always cut in half.I think we are getting ripped off big time here for our pharmaceuticals

Anyone serious about suicide will find another way. My daughter hung herself in July.
So sorry

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Surprise to see five pages of discussion on this topic! Don't like pharmaceutical companies that much: there's a simple solution: take care of your own health. Meaning: exercise, diet, losing weight, going to the gym, eat organic and so on. It's what my dear friend did, started going to the gym, first gently and slowly . Now one year later- free of pain no need taking pills! Sorry if I hurt some of you reading this, but sometimes an inconvenient truth must be uttered.

Surprise to see five pages of discussion on this topic! Don't like pharmaceutical companies that much: there's a simple solution: take care of your own health. Meaning: exercise, diet, losing weight, going to the gym, eat organic and so on. It's what my dear friend did, started going to the gym, first gently and slowly . Now one year later- free of pain no need taking pills! Sorry if I hurt some of you reading this, but sometimes an inconvenient truth must be uttered.
I agree. However, some people are not as fortunate and need them for headaches.