Ten presenter Sandra Sully shares emotional tribute for late father

Renowned Australian journalist and Ten News First presenter, Sandra Sully has recently experienced a personal tragedy that has left her and her family in mourning.

Her father, Sydney 'Sid' Sully, has passed away, prompting an emotional tribute from the beloved news anchor and an outpouring of condolences from colleagues, fans, and the broader Australian community.

Sully took to social media on Monday evening to share the heartbreaking news of her father's passing. In her tribute, she remembered Sid as 'the BEST man’ she ever knew, a testament to his profound impact on her life.

'There is no greater loss than losing a parent. My heart is broken. We all loved him sooooo much,' Sully wrote.

Sid Sully passed away last Friday, December 8, a day that Sandra described as the 'hardest day of my life'.

The news of his passing has since sparked a wave of heartfelt condolences and tributes, reflecting the respect and affection held for the Sully family.

compressed-Screenshot_16.jpeg
Sully remembered her father in a social media post as ‘the best man’ she knew. Image Credit: X/@Sandra_Sully

Among those offering condolences was fellow Channel Ten personality Angela Bishop, who wrote, 'Oh Sandra. I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious dad. Sending all my love.’

Others echoed this sentiment, with one commenter noting, 'Vale Mr Sully. Quite the legacy you leave.'

Some also took their time to share how they remembered the senior Sully.

‘Rest easy Sid! Great man when I was younger around easts juniors,’ one reply read.

‘I knew Sid when I was working at Broadbeach News. Sid & your Mum would be out walking very early every morning. RIP Sid,’ another said.

‘My deepest condolences to you and your family Sandra! Sid was a lovely man. It was a pleasure to know him!’ said a third.

In an interview with New Idea last year, Sandra revealed that her father had been battling health issues. This personal experience inspired her to participate in the SBS documentary series Who Do You Think You Are?—a decision she described as a 'wonderful gift' to her parents.

Sid Sully leaves behind his wife Carol, twin daughters Sandra and Lyn, and sons Brad and Chris. His passing marks a significant loss for the family, who will undoubtedly remember him as a loving husband, father, and grandfather.

Sandra Sully has been a prominent figure in Australian journalism for over three decades. She joined the Ten News team in 1990 and made history as the first Australian journalist to break the news of the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001. Her career began in the mid-1980s at Seven in Brisbane, followed by a stint in Canberra before joining Ten.

More recently, she was unveiled as Fawn in this year's season of The Masked Singer.

Sandra's tribute to her father serves as a poignant reminder of the deep bonds of family, the profound impact of loss, and the undoubtedly Aussie spirit of community that supported her and her family at such a trying time.

Key Takeaways

• Ten News First presenter Sandra Sully has shared the sad news of her father's passing.
  • Fellow Channel Ten personality Angela Bishop, among others, paid tribute and expressed their condolences.
  • Sandra broke the news on Monday evening, recalling her father, Sid, as 'the BEST man I ever knew'.
  • Sydney Sully leaves behind his wife Carol, twin daughters Sandra and Lyn, and sons Brad and Chris.
  • Sandra began her journalism career in the mid-1980s and has been on the Ten News team since 1990.

As we extend our deepest condolences to Sandra and her family, we are reminded of the importance of cherishing our loved ones and the precious moments we share.

Sid Sully's legacy will undoubtedly live on through his family, and his memory will continue to inspire those who knew him.

Last edited:
Sponsored
We all know death comes but we are never prepared for it. Sid, rest in peace.
Always be prepared for it..... old Boy Scouts 'Be prepared '. I'm ready to go anytime they choose..... or I choose. The ultimate experience.

Reactions: magpie1
I don't want to sound awful,but I hardly think this is news worthy.I am not a journalist on tv,a stay at home mum all my life by choice to raise my children while my hubby bought home the bacon,and MY father was a hard working kind and sweet man who couldn't do enough for his wife and family ever He also died, and my whole family dynamic changed forever.His funeral was huge,the funeral directors commented on what a huge turnout it was and hadn't seen in years.My dad?just a humble man who brought his family here in the sixtees from Europe,he wasn't a great achiever,his children,all very intelligent duxes of their respective schools some of who went on to do great things,others choosing to stay home and mirror the way they raised their children, by their father and mothers' examples.
Do I think this is breaking news or heartbreaking or of any interest to most people??NO.Lets put some articles on here that will make a difference to us Sandra Sully's loss,while awful for her,really isn't news worthy.SORRY UF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE BY MY POST .

Reactions: IAN3005
I don't want to sound awful,but I hardly think this is news worthy.I am not a journalist on tv,a stay at home mum all my life by choice to raise my children while my hubby bought home the bacon,and MY father was a hard working kind and sweet man who couldn't do enough for his wife and family ever He also died, and my whole family dynamic changed forever.His funeral was huge,the funeral directors commented on what a huge turnout it was and hadn't seen in years.My dad?just a humble man who brought his family here in the sixtees from Europe,he wasn't a great achiever,his children,all very intelligent duxes of their respective schools some of who went on to do great things,others choosing to stay home and mirror the way they raised their children, by their father and mothers' examples.
Do I think this is breaking news or heartbreaking or of any interest to most people??NO.Lets put some articles on here that will make a difference to us Sandra Sully's loss,while awful for her,really isn't news worthy.SORRY UF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE BY MY POST .
You hit the nail on the head 'just a humble man who brought his family here in the sixties from Europe' that says it all.......

You hit the nail on the head 'just a humble man who brought his family here in the sixties from Europe' that says it all.......
What does that mean you fuck whit!!! Does that make a difference as to weather anyone is supposed to care if SANDRA SULLY'S FATHER HAS DIED AND NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED.!!
OH I GUESS SHE MUST BE RELATED TO ALL THE 10POUND POMS SO ITS OK...LETS DISCUSS AND GIVE OPINIONS🖕

Reactions: IAN3005
What does that mean you fuck whit!!! Does that make a difference as to weather anyone is supposed to care if SANDRA SULLY'S FATHER HAS DIED AND NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED.!!
OH I GUESS SHE MUST BE RELATED TO ALL THE 10POUND POMS SO ITS OK...LETS DISCUSS AND GIVE OPINIONS🖕
You calling me a FW?

I am very offended at the comment you made re "hit the nail on the head coment etc etc.This is MY FATHER and I didn't like your smart arse insinuations!!!!!
All I am TRYING TO SAY IS, YES HER FATHER HAS DIED AND IS THE SALT OF THE EARTH,WELL SO WAS MINE BUT SO WHAT?NOBODY WOULD WANT TO KNOW ABOUT HIM AND I GET IT.We don't need to know about her father either.THATS ALL.