Usually when I get a scammer on the phone, I try to waste as much time as I can with them. Hopefully saving them calling another victim.
AA friend of mine kept a scammer on the phone for quite a while when the scammer was telling her the problems she was having with her internet connection could be solved if she did what they asked. After about half an hour of this going on she then admitted that she didn't even own a computer.

What concerns me is that with AI technology, some scammers are only after your VOICE and by talking into the phone at all you are giving away your identity.
If I do not know the number I do NOT answer it - they can leave a message.

When they launch into their spiel just gently lay the phone down and quietly walk away, leaving them talking. It's their dollar. You can go back later to hang the phone up - they'll be long gone.

Reactions: MariaG
Telstra will never call you. Only email. Another suspicious scam is from e-toll, threatening that if you don’t pay your bill, you will incur extra fees. Interesting, because I never use the tolls at all. Do not open email from tham, because it’s a scam.

These call seem to have multiplied dramatically in the last few weeks. They even come in at 2 or 3 am. Is it just a coincidence that Telstra have recently outsourced their call centres to India? A lot of these calls originate from there. That would explain why they already have a lot of our personal and bank data.

We have been receiving multiple calls on my mobile phone & landline, from people claiming to be from Telstra and that there is a problem with our service. I usually say we aren't with Telstra & then hang up. Don't get involved, or say "yes" to anything it is a massive scam.

Do you recall the phone number so we can be on alert. If I get caught out by one of these I put in report on the phone to notify what call that number is.

My response for scammers is different to other people. When the scammers tell me that my internet is at risk of being hacked or something else I politely tell them " oh before you continue with this call I have to inform you that this call is being traced by The Australian Federal Police". I have been called some unpleasant names that I cannot write here, they slam the phone down and I have never had them ring me back. I hope I have not done anything wrong legally by using the AFP name but it worked.

Watch out the scammers also claim to be from NBN, who are a Wholesaler and DO NOT DEAL DIRECT with the public. Ask them how they got your number as this not only puts them on the back foot but also makes them aware yoo are onto them. All our family numbers are now listed on the Do Not Call register. This has slowed down the number of calls. Hanging up on them only doesn't make a difference to them trying again
I've been on the DO NOT CALL register for years and I still get bombarded with scam calls. I now use an app called SHOULD i ANSWER and I have now blocked calls from all stated except Qld and the few business numbers I use. Works great.

Reactions: MichN
Do you recall the phone number so we can be on alert. If I get caught out by one of these I put in report on the phone to notify what call that number is.
They used several numbers. All you can do is block them as new numbers will keep coming to life.

Reactions: Sawtee
I received a call Thursday from a mobile number and it was very quiet and then a foreign accented man called me to help me with my internet connection and also give me a discount. He said that he was from Telstra. I said that I wasn't with Telstra and he was trying to scam me and he hung up on me. I reported the number to Samsung. But my husband said that I shouldn't have said anything about not being with Telstra because I have now given away personal information and they will try again on a different number.

I got a call years ago and so nearly was caught out, not knowing as much then as now.
The guy said he was from Telstra and there had been people trying to get into my account. But if I did what he said it would stop them, I was worried so went along until he sent a message with another website address I had to go to ! That sent alarm bells ringing and I refused saying he might be the scammer . He got angry then, said I deserved to lose my money ! I hung up but he kept ringing back which I ignored because I had looked up the site he wanted me to go to and sure enough it was the one that you hand over your computer to someone else.
I’ve had a call from some guy saying he was from NBN and that there were some problems and would I please turn on my computer. I knew he was scamming me because my computer was actually on at the time!!! Ha, ha. I told him I do not turn on my computer for anyone but myself. I asked him to give me his full name (he gave me a name, a bogus one no doubt) and then gave me his so-called employee number (another bogus one no doubt) and I said I would contact NBN myself with his name, employee number and phone number he was calling from, so he would just leave me alone because I had to go out & I cut him off. No problems with my NBN or with anyone else ever since, except one call and I told that person to “get lost scammer”, and hung up.

Last edited:
Guiseppe……..I love Guiseppe :LOL: :LOL::giggle:
When we are feeling cheeky, we have a couple of tools to manage calls like this.
I have a panic button (sounds like a smoke alarm). As soon as I realise the purpose of the pain in the butt caller, I press the button over the mouth piece. They never call back.
Hubby likes to pretend he is Guiseppe the newly arrived immigrant who cannot understand the caller, doesn't own a computer, cannot hear very well, and, even asks if it is his Mama calling. It drives the scammers crazy. They don't call back either.
We both have protective programs on all of our devices, but the occasional one slips through, usually from a mobile phone number. That is normally when we utilise our highly technical, SWAT team trained tactics.
My brother in law in Wales has blown into the telephone mouthpiece with his trumpet - that gets rid of them fast!

Reactions: MariaG
I get plenty of 02 and 03 calls and just don't answer them. They never leave a message and they always seem to call when I'm having a coffee or a meal.