anndunbar

Mar 19, 2024
Telstra scam

I received a phone call from Telstra or so it seemed. They seemed to know a lot about our phones and they were offering 50% of our phone bill for the next 6 months. A very tempting offer but there were alarm bells going off . So I hung up and phoned Telstra who said that they now never make offers over the phone. A useful hint!!

Yes we have been scammed by Telstra - person phoned and then changed all of of our details in our account. They ordered a new phone, luckily we did not have our credit card details listed so they had to use another person's details.
We phoned Star Track and got the consignment stopped before it reached their address.
We will not put our credit card details onto their website and will not pay on line! Too many scammers!

Yes we have been scammed by Telstra - person phoned and then changed all of of our details in our account. They ordered a new phone, luckily we did not have our credit card details listed so they had to use another person's details.
We phoned Star Track and got the consignment stopped before it reached their address.
We will not put our credit card details onto their website and will not pay on line! Too many scammers!
It was not Telstra that scammed someone posing as Telstra

I received a call from someone purporting to be from Telstra on Friday last week and immediately they started to talk to me about my internet connection sending corrupt data or some such nonsense. I imformed the woman that I didn't believe they were from Telstra and that I was now hanging up. At least I didn't swear but I certainly felt like using some rude words. Do they really think older people are computer illiterate? This call seemed to be from Sydney, the previous call I had from Telstra had a New Zealand identifier and again I had done the same, told them in no uncertain terms that I didn't believe a word they were saying. It makes my blood boil that they even got my private mobile number to call me.

I've had the same thing happen to me. I just told them I wasn't interested and hung up. Last year I had a phone call supposedly from Telstra. They knew about my account and my name. They said they were from the technical dept and that hackers had got to my computer and put a virus or something in it. They wanted me to switch my computer on and they would tell me how to give them remote control so they could clean my computer. I said I needed their phone number so I could verify them. They gave me a Sydney number. I rang Telstra who confirmed for me that it was a scam. I rang scam watch and reported it.

I got a call years ago and so nearly was caught out, not knowing as much then as now.
The guy said he was from Telstra and there had been people trying to get into my account. But if I did what he said it would stop them, I was worried so went along until he sent a message with another website address I had to go to ! That sent alarm bells ringing and I refused saying he might be the scammer . He got angry then, said I deserved to lose my money ! I hung up but he kept ringing back which I ignored because I had looked up the site he wanted me to go to and sure enough it was the one that you hand over your computer to someone else.

Watch out the scammers also claim to be from NBN, who are a Wholesaler and DO NOT DEAL DIRECT with the public. Ask them how they got your number as this not only puts them on the back foot but also makes them aware yoo are onto them. All our family numbers are now listed on the Do Not Call register. This has slowed down the number of calls. Hanging up on them only doesn't make a difference to them trying again

Watch out the scammers also claim to be from NBN, who are a Wholesaler and DO NOT DEAL DIRECT with the public. Ask them how they got your number as this not only puts them on the back foot but also makes them aware yoo are onto them. All our family numbers are now listed on the Do Not Call register. This has slowed down the number of calls. Hanging up on them only doesn't make a difference to them trying again

Reactions: Larcol
I too have been scammed twice by someone supposedly from Telstra wanting to prepare us for getting NBN on, as we were missed a few years ago. They know so much about us! The bank fortunately blocked money going from our account. The guy who scammed me had the same name as a high up person in Telstra, shook them up I hope. Horrible experience and took weeks to sort out everything. Be extra careful!

Reactions: Larcol and Ezzy
When we are feeling cheeky, we have a couple of tools to manage calls like this.
I have a panic button (sounds like a smoke alarm). As soon as I realise the purpose of the pain in the butt caller, I press the button over the mouth piece. They never call back.
Hubby likes to pretend he is Guiseppe the newly arrived immigrant who cannot understand the caller, doesn't own a computer, cannot hear very well, and, even asks if it is his Mama calling. It drives the scammers crazy. They don't call back either.
We both have protective programs on all of our devices, but the occasional one slips through, usually from a mobile phone number. That is normally when we utilise our highly technical, SWAT team trained tactics.

When we are feeling cheeky, we have a couple of tools to manage calls like this.
I have a panic button (sounds like a smoke alarm). As soon as I realise the purpose of the pain in the butt caller, I press the button over the mouth piece. They never call back.
Hubby likes to pretend he is Guiseppe the newly arrived immigrant who cannot understand the caller, doesn't own a computer, cannot hear very well, and, even asks if it is his Mama calling. It drives the scammers crazy. They don't call back either.
We both have protective programs on all of our devices, but the occasional one slips through, usually from a mobile phone number. That is normally when we utilise our highly technical, SWAT team trained tactics.
Old fashioned metal sports whistle works much the same - applied to crank calls and heavy breathers successfully in the past.

Guiseppe……..I love Guiseppe :LOL: :LOL::giggle: