Telstra rings changes: Mobile plan costs dial up concerns amidst price hikes!

In a recent announcement from a major telecommunications provider, prepaid and postpaid customers are bracing for increased costs on their mobile plans.

The price hikes, set to affect a wide range of subscribers, come amidst changes in the competitive landscape of mobile services.

This move reflects ongoing adjustments in the industry as providers navigate evolving consumer needs and economic realities.

Telstra customers face increased costs for mobile plans following the Telco's announcement of price adjustments.

Starting August 27, postpaid customers will experience the changes, while prepaid customers will see them take effect from October 22.

compressed-shutterstock_2318577377.jpeg
Telstra will raise mobile plan costs for prepaid and postpaid customers starting August 27 and October 22. Credit: Shutterstock

According to Telstra Consumer Group Executive Brad Whitcomb, monthly fees will rise by $2-4, with premium plans experiencing the largest increase, climbing from $95 to $99 per month.

The price adjustments include increases across various plan tiers: basic plans will rise from $62 to $65, essential plans from $72 to $75, and bundle plans from $50 to $52.

Starter plan rates, however, will remain unchanged at $50 per month.

In addition, data allowances for starter plans will increase from 2GB to 5GB monthly within Australia, and speed caps will be lifted from starter and basic plans for domestic use.

The Large Data Plan will be discontinued, effective August 27, although existing customers can retain their plans ‘until further notice’.

Furthermore, starting October 22, the Telstra Top Up program will raise its free prepaid recharge from $160 to $180, including 70GB of data.

This follows the telco's announcement in May 2024 that they would no longer conduct their annual pricing review linked to the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

According to a statement from Telstra, the change ‘simplified (Telstra’s) pricing approach to be more consistent across (their) products and services’.

‘These price changes help us to keep investing in mobile coverage, performance and local support, as well as ongoing investments to improve the security of our services,’ the statement read.
‘We monitor our network 24/7 to help protect against scams by blocking malicious calls and texts from reaching you.’

‘It takes a lot of work and cost to run a mobile network as large as ours, and even more to support the increased usage we have seen on our network,’ Telstra added.

The recent price hikes announced by Telstra for both prepaid and postpaid mobile plans have sparked concerns among customers about rising telecommunications costs.

Before this, another recent development involving Telstra emerged: an increase in fees for paper statements following changes by Australia Post.

These changes underscore a broader shift in how telecommunications services are priced and delivered, affecting both digital and traditional communication methods used by consumers across Australia.
Key Takeaways
  • Telstra announced increases in mobile plan costs for both prepaid and postpaid customers, effective August 27 and October 22, respectively.
  • Monthly fees will rise by $2-4 across various plan tiers, with premium plans seeing the largest increase from $95 to $99 per month, basic plans will increase from $62 to $65, essential plans from $72 to $75, and bundle plans from $50 to $52.
  • Telstra will discontinue the Large Data Plan from August 27 and raise the free prepaid recharge under the Telstra Top Up program from $160 to $180 starting October 22, including 70GB of data.
  • Telstra shifted away from its CPI-linked annual pricing review as of May 2024, aiming for a simplified and consistent pricing approach across its products and services.
Have you been satisfied with Telstra’s services? Do you think the price increase is justified? We invite you to share your experiences and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
This move reflects ongoing adjustments in the industry as providers navigate evolving consumer needs and economic realities.

This really means - we're jacking up the prices because people have to have the service and we need to look like we're investing in a better network.

I don't need more data.
I get a prepaid plan from Coles - Amaysim which is powered by Optus for under $100 a year with 10x the amount of data I've needed by using wifi as much a possible.
Look into it. Hubby has one too on Telstra network $119.

Sarcasm intended: These struggling telcoes have to cover the ever increasing costs of their CEO's massive bonuses and also their MULTI BILLION dollar profit margins. It's hard out there in their fantasy world, I mean, how does a struggling director earning only $240,000.00 year supposed to survive on $657.53 a day, seven days a week. Life's a bitch.

All I know is that if one needs to phone Telstra be prepared for a long wait before one finds a human who speaks English that you can understand. There's the push button this and that, music, talk to the machine or an Asian who is very polite but so hard to understand . My husband has been deceased for ages and yet my bill still has his name on it and charges for his email. Neither of us get an email service from Telstra but when I phone them, after an hour and a half wait, I'm told it is part of the plan and included and cannot get any satisfaction on the subject. Is the email service included no matter what and cannot be removed - who knows!

• Wow
Reactions: Gsr and LeahI
All I know is that if one needs to phone Telstra be prepared for a long wait before one finds a human who speaks English that you can understand. There's the push button this and that, music, talk to the machine or an Asian who is very polite but so hard to understand . My husband has been deceased for ages and yet my bill still has his name on it and charges for his email. Neither of us get an email service from Telstra but when I phone them, after an hour and a half wait, I'm told it is part of the plan and included and cannot get any satisfaction on the subject. Is the email service included no matter what and cannot be removed - who knows!
Maybe go into a store. You still have to wait, but they might be easier to understand and get it sorted for you. Might have to take a death certificate though.
I've never heard of email on a phone plan.

I am very happy with Telstra. I went through a rough time recently & ended up in hospital with Covid & pneumonia & Telstra could not have been kinder. Am back on track now just need to pick up physically

Reactions: Gsr and DLHM
Maybe go into a store. You still have to wait, but they might be easier to understand and get it sorted for you. Might have to take a death certificate though.
Hard to go to a Telstra branch in any country towns as most of them have closed their door, just like most companies & banks these days.

My advice is to take it up with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO). You can contact them on 1800 062 058 and are available 8.00am – 8.00pm Monday to Friday, AEST.

I am not complaining about a small increase but my gripe is with the reason. Data use! I do not use any data nor intend to as I use my laptop which I find so much easier to use . I have seen my sons typing away on their mobiles but I have looked at the small screen and and would find that hard and so slow to use. I only need a mobile for the phone or emergencies when I am out on my own and was the only reason I bought one but no Telstra changed it to be able to use data and less for the phone. I am giving my phone up when 3G is finished.

Reactions: Gsr
My advice is to take it up with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO). You can contact them on 1800 062 058 and are available 8.00am – 8.00pm Monday to Friday, AEST.

Don’t complain about getting older: not everybody gets the privilege.

Thankyou so much for the cup in fact I giving it away to OPSAR, which stands for Older Persons Sub Acute Rehab, Cairns Hospital Ward to put it on display because yes it is a big privilege

• Love
Reactions: DLHM
Telstra made $2.1 billion at the end of 2023, a 13% increase on the previouse year.
GREEDY BASTARDS, and now they want more.
There is a Telstra vehicle parked across the road from my house. It often sits there for weeks at a time without being used. I assume my neighbour is getting getting paid to sit sround waiting for a call out. This must be what we pay for.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
Stop the rubbish scaremongering headlines!
”Hefty bill increases”. $2-4 a month. That’s not hefty, is a small amount. $48 a year max.

Now RACV $600 increase in car insurance is a hefty increase.
Rang around and AAMI were $650 cheaper than the new RACV bill for exactly the same insurance.
if you don’t like the Telco increase do your research and change providers!

M y phone bill has already increased by %25this year as well as gas just went up %15
NBN UP %15 water rates up %15 FOOD %/12
AND YET PENSIONS GONE UP %1.8 in the last 10 months
meanwhile, low income earners get an extra$73 a week $146 a fortnight from wage increases and taxcuts and that means if 2 people work in the household thats $292 fortnight THATS 7 AND A HALF TIMES MORE THAN PENSIONERS RECEIVED IN THE LAST 10 MONTHS WHAT THE F--K
PENSIONERS THE DISABLED AND CARERS $$18,20 A FORTNIGHT;
ITS ABOUT TIME THIS AND THE NEXT GOVT GIVE AN EQUAL PAYRISE AS IF LOW INCOME EARNERS GET THAT MUCH TO COVER EXPENSES THEN SURELY PEOPLE ON LOWER INCOMES THAN THE LOWEST WAGE EARNERS SHOULD BE TREATED THE SAME INSTEAD OF BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST

Reactions: Gsr and LeahI
M y phone bill has already increased by %25this year as well as gas just went up %15
NBN UP %15 water rates up %15 FOOD %/12
AND YET PENSIONS GONE UP %1.8 in the last 10 months
meanwhile, low income earners get an extra$73 a week $146 a fortnight from wage increases and taxcuts and that means if 2 people work in the household thats $292 fortnight THATS 7 AND A HALF TIMES MORE THAN PENSIONERS RECEIVED IN THE LAST 10 MONTHS WHAT THE F--K
PENSIONERS THE DISABLED AND CARERS $$18,20 A FORTNIGHT;
ITS ABOUT TIME THIS AND THE NEXT GOVT GIVE AN EQUAL PAYRISE AS IF LOW INCOME EARNERS GET THAT MUCH TO COVER EXPENSES THEN SURELY PEOPLE ON LOWER INCOMES THAN THE LOWEST WAGE EARNERS SHOULD BE TREATED THE SAME INSTEAD OF BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST
Maybe you do some research.
My phone bill has not increased as I am on a 12 month prepaid plan with Optus.
I check Electricity and Gas Prices with AGL “Reconciliation dept” every three months and get the best rate available. And our gas has increased by 2% this year. (We have gas heating and cooking).
Also if you are paying a seperate fee for NBN then change providers.
our internet provider has not increased prices for 10 years, even when NBN was available.
Do some research!
Electricity prices have had a small increase but with AGL we get free Netflix so I cancelled my Netflix account and now save money.

Reactions: LeahI
The phone NBN and internet service in this country is very poor for a place like this, for a country that thing they have the best of every thing they are not doing a good job of it, some third world country have a better service we do, not good, so why should we pay more for MULTI BILLION dollar profit margins, if we got a good service i would not mined, i live thee km from a tower witch very poor one bar if you are lucky.

This really means - we're jacking up the prices because people have to have the service and we need to look like we're investing in a better network.

I don't need more data.
I get a prepaid plan from Coles - Amaysim which is powered by Optus for under $100 a year with 10x the amount of data I've needed by using wifi as much a possible.
Look into it. Hubby has one too on Telstra network $119.
Tell me more about this Optus deal as my Vodafone went up by $100 per month.

The Telstra staff in the stores are only there to sell you mobile phones & other tech stuff. If you go into the store they just direct you to use one of their phones.

The phone NBN and internet service in this country is very poor for a place like this, for a country that thing they have the best of every thing they are not doing a good job of it, some third world country have a better service we do, not good, so why should we pay more for MULTI BILLION dollar profit margins, if we got a good service i would not mined, i live thee km from a tower witch very poor one bar if you are lucky.
I'm less than a km from tower
Tell me more about this Optus deal as my Vodafone went up by $100 per month.
At Coles and Woolies they sell Sim cards. You buy the 1 year one. Put it in your phone and set it up. Done for 12 months. Keep an eye on when they have specials. It's just a prepaid plan, but cheaper and you don't have to top up every month. Decide if you're better off in your area with Telstra or Optus.

Reactions: Gsr and IAN3005
The Telstra staff in the stores are only there to sell you mobile phones & other tech stuff. If you go into the store they just direct you to use one of their phones.
Nephew used to work at a Telstra store and he's a helpful guy. Hopefully Glenys R can find someone like that too.

Reactions: Gsr and SandyM