Telstra outage leaves customers unable to top up their accounts

In the early hours of Thursday morning, disgruntled Telstra customers woke up to some distressing news.

People were not able to top up their prepaid accounts or activate any prepaid mobile services. This also meant that anyone with a Boost Mobile or JB Hi-Fi prepaid service, which are both powered by the Telstra network, was left in distress.

Anybody who tried to do a recharge online received a message saying, 'We're temporarily unable to recharge your Pre-Paid service due to planned maintenance. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try recharging in a few hours.'

We know how frustrating it is to find out that your mobile phone or internet plans aren't working the way they should. You're stuck in between trying to figure out if it's some technical issue or if it's the fault of the service provider.

Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 8.15.42 AM.png
Telstra has acknowledged an outage is preventing customers from putting funds into their prepaid mobile phone accounts. Credit: Shutterstock.

In response to customer complaints, Telstra's social media account said, 'We're aware of an issue affecting our customer's ability to recharge and activate Prepaid mobile services. We're investigating this as a priority and hope to have it back up and running as soon as possible.'

As per data from the website DownDetector, there has been a notable surge in outage reports attributed to Telstra. Since approximately 6:30 a.m. AEST, the platform has recorded more than 40 individual reports, indicating a disruption in service.

Thankfully, a few hours later, Telstra managed to get a hold of the technical issue and resolve it.

This comes after reports that Telstra has achieved a remarkable 13.1 per cent rise in their yearly profits, reaching a substantial $2.1 billion.

Their mobile business experienced an 8.3 per cent growth, resulting in an income of $10.3 billion. In the 2023 fiscal year, Telstra's overall income stands at $23.2 billion.

However, despite these impressive numbers, Telstra also announced that their mobile postpaid plans would be increasing in price.

You can read more about this report in this article.

Key Takeaways

• Telstra customers reported a glitch in the network, hindering prepaid mobile phone customers from topping up their accounts.
  • Telstra acknowledged the issue and said it is investigating the problem as a top priority.
  • The issue also affected Boost Mobile and JB Hi-Fi prepaid services, which use the Telstra network.
  • The outage reporting website DownDetector recorded spikes in Telstra outage reports, with over 40 since about 6:30 a.m. AEST.

We'd all love to be able to have uninterrupted services, but unfortunately, outages do happen. What matters is that any issues impacting customers are identified, communicated and fixed quickly.

Members, were you affected? Let us know in the comments below.

Reactions: Ricki
Sponsored
In the early hours of Thursday morning, disgruntled Telstra customers woke up to some distressing news.

People were not able to top up their prepaid accounts or activate any prepaid mobile services. This also meant that anyone with a Boost Mobile or JB Hi-Fi prepaid service, which are both powered by the Telstra network, was left in distress.

Anybody who tried to do a recharge online received a message saying, 'We're temporarily unable to recharge your Pre-Paid service due to planned maintenance. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try recharging in a few hours.'

We know how frustrating it is to find out that your mobile phone or internet plans aren't working the way they should. You're stuck in between trying to figure out if it's some technical issue or if it's the fault of the service provider.

View attachment 29400
Telstra has acknowledged an outage is preventing customers from putting funds into their prepaid mobile phone accounts. Credit: Shutterstock.

In response to customer complaints, Telstra's social media account said, 'We're aware of an issue affecting our customer's ability to recharge and activate Prepaid mobile services. We're investigating this as a priority and hope to have it back up and running as soon as possible.'

As per data from the website DownDetector, there has been a notable surge in outage reports attributed to Telstra. Since approximately 6:30 a.m. AEST, the platform has recorded more than 40 individual reports, indicating a disruption in service.

Thankfully, a few hours later, Telstra managed to get a hold of the technical issue and resolve it.

This comes after reports that Telstra has achieved a remarkable 13.1 per cent rise in their yearly profits, reaching a substantial $2.1 billion.

Their mobile business experienced an 8.3 per cent growth, resulting in an income of $10.3 billion. In the 2023 fiscal year, Telstra's overall income stands at $23.2 billion.

However, despite these impressive numbers, Telstra also announced that their mobile postpaid plans would be increasing in price.

You can read more about this report in this article.

Key Takeaways

• Telstra customers reported a glitch in the network, hindering prepaid mobile phone customers from topping up their accounts.
  • Telstra acknowledged the issue and said it is investigating the problem as a top priority.
  • The issue also affected Boost Mobile and JB Hi-Fi prepaid services, which use the Telstra network.
  • The outage reporting website DownDetector recorded spikes in Telstra outage reports, with over 40 since about 6:30 a.m. AEST.

We'd all love to be able to have uninterrupted services, but unfortunately, outages do happen. What matters is that any issues impacting customers are identified, communicated and fixed quickly.

Members, were you affected? Let us know in the comments below.
So this might be where Allan Joyce moved to!

Reactions: Jennie and PattiB
Yeah, so? It happes and it isn't the end of the world.

Ah ! outages do happen but last night having just completed a reply to an E-M. BEFORE I could
“Send”. TELSTRA SIGNED ME OUT ! How is that for service .. And Yes I had to start all over again..

we are in our 80s and our land line, mobile, wifi drop out regularly, my complaints toTelstra are MANY & MANY.
Last month I was informed that I had a free upgrade to NBN FTTP that is Fibre to the premises.
I thought at last after 5 years of poor NBN reception, now we would get coverage.
How wrong can one person be, Free meant $110 per month. I was Told it could be cheaper $80 or $95… but after I accepted the $80 offer I found out I was being up sold, I wasn’t getting FTTP I was just paying for more MGB….👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

Telstra should be putting some of its profits into improving their system/service not
trying to fool their Customers they are doing " A great Job "
Yesterday I was signed out just before I sent an E-M then I was signed back in
which meant I had to start all over again..Thank you Telstra..