An event like this has always been on the cards. What it highlights is that CrowdStrike did not perform adequate testing and deployed software that was faulty. I doubt that they will tell the truth anyway. It also shows how vulnerable the world is to software issues including cyber attacks. It also shows that there is no contingency or capability to recover from these type of issues easily.

If there is is another World War, countries can be crippled by causing software failures like this one without firing a single shot.

What also amazed me was that no one understood what caused the issue. All the so called experts were talking about outages which is the effect and not the cause. No one was able to articulate what the problem was. Even today, the minister Clare O'Neil was going on about outages. There is a huge distinction between cause and effect.

This shows what can happen when you outsource your companies' software systems and data to external providers' clouds like Microsoft's Azure and rely on the outsourcing orgajnisation to look after it.

So I am glad that I live in a remote part of Queensland, and get to watch the rest of the world run around like headless chooks! It makes everything worthwhile.

Reactions: Uncle G
Well l for one, had to reboot from my home PC. As for a GLOVE--why not handprint?
Don't say flesh or bone caused it--some gloves are fingerless--just saying
Have a great day.
PS Newsletter arrived after 11am
Cheers Gary

An event like this has always been on the cards. What it highlights is that CrowdStrike did not perform adequate testing and deployed software that was faulty. I doubt that they will tell the truth anyway. It also shows how vulnerable the world is to software issues including cyber attacks. It also shows that there is no contingency or capability to recover from these type of issues easily.

If there is is another World War, countries can be crippled by causing software failures like this one without firing a single shot.

What also amazed me was that no one understood what caused the issue. All the so called experts were talking about outages which is the effect and not the cause. No one was able to articulate what the problem was. Even today, the minister Clare O'Neil was going on about outages. There is a huge distinction between cause and effect.

This shows what can happen when you outsource your companies' software systems and data to external providers' clouds like Microsoft's Azure and rely on the outsourcing orgajnisation to look after it.

100%.
High level project software people are called engineers. Like all engineers of the past and present, (think building bridges etc) if the engineers do not conduct tests on a significant update or a build, to check if everyone has done/are doing their jobs properly, then any issues will slip through, potentially causing havoc or worse.
Bridges falling down or world wide computer crashes.

Software engineers have many responsibilities, including managing a client's expectations. So any pressure brought to bear to take short cuts (incomplete testing) must be courageously resisted. We will probably never know precisely who was responsible.

Best to test on a company prepared to allow live testing before releasing an incomplete update of this magnitude.

This aside, my 2 bob each way of always carrying cash and cards provides me with a reasonable amount of protection from minor irritations when retail shopping.

Reactions: saundy
I think modern technology is the ruination of our lives and country. How about surviving like we used to, if we needed something and did'nt have it do a deal with a friend, neighbour family.The

I think modern technology is the ruination of our lives and country. How about surviving like we used to, if we needed something and did'nt have it do a deal with a friend, neighbour family.The govt.,has ruined our country, fed their own pockets and is destroying our livelihood. Back to old school reality.

Scam Alert Warning

This headsup from Minister O'Neil.

Home Affairs Minister Clare O'Neil used a press conference to warn that bad actors were trying to capitalise on the global tech outages experienced on Friday afternoon.

There have already been reports of phishing scams where criminals attempt to gain access to personal information via unsolicited emails.

Reactions: Marilynne
Well I don’t know how old you are Maddie but it sounds like to me you do not have any patience in waiting for computer glitches to be rectified by the servers
Cast yourself back in time if you were alive then when you thought if you had a 1.44 or 3.5 floppy drive and you had 20 meg of memory no games had graphics it was just black and white and you had to type in the commands like go north or climb through window, monitors that were huge in size no laptops or streamline monitors
My first computer was a Commodore 64 then eventually a IBM
Your probably sitting there reading this thinking gees how old is this old fart well 70 watched it all eventuate over time and if it didnt all progress could you imagine the number of people that would not be gamers or playing on their iPhones sending texts but actually still sitting down writing letters to each other the old method of proper communication
My first computer was an Amstrad way back in the 80's and the "games" like Worm had we had to type in the whole program before it would work. oh, the joy of it all and then Microsoft arrived on our doorstep. I worked for a bank in the EDP department in the early 70's when the computers were humongous

I remember about 40 years ago (going by my son’s age) when I left my small clothing shop (had to put a back in 5 mins sign on the door) and run across the road to Coles to buy a pint of milk. The price was on the carton with the sticker. I had exact change (back when things were paid by cash) but the cashier could not let me pay as the registers were not working. Early version of systems crashing!

Isn't this Scomo's first day on the job at Microsoft? I bloody well knew it. Everything this bloke touches turns to 💩

This was easy for him. He's done this type of thing to a whole country, just a bit of mere software this one.

Hey, Jen, be home in a sec, just gazing at Windows atm. Now what's this control button do......

Well I don’t know how old you are Maddie but it sounds like to me you do not have any patience in waiting for computer glitches to be rectified by the servers
Cast yourself back in time if you were alive then when you thought if you had a 1.44 or 3.5 floppy drive and you had 20 meg of memory no games had graphics it was just black and white and you had to type in the commands like go north or climb through window, monitors that were huge in size no laptops or streamline monitors
My first computer was a Commodore 64 then eventually a IBM
Your probably sitting there reading this thinking gees how old is this old fart well 70 watched it all eventuate over time and if it didnt all progress could you imagine the number of people that would not be gamers or playing on their iPhones sending texts but actually still sitting down writing letters to each other the old method of proper communication
I'm 76 and yes, life WAS much simpler then!

It's 7.30 PM I have just read this mornings newsletter and saw the story about Maddie's article a great read Maddie.

This proves to me that we have to maintain cash in our society without anything any doubts, the way things are going around the world this can and I would say will happen more and more often as less people have greater control over the financial situation of our country and the world.

If we go completely cashless just think of the suitation we all will be in no money means no food no fuel, nothing, a thought for everyone to ponder. I for one hope that it never happens.

This is what could happen when to few of people make the decisions for the nation.

Hi Maddie,I hope your technology hasn't been affected.To answer about My thoughts about this hidios event that has happened, This is why I am totally against a Cashless SocietyI take every dollar out of My bank accountusiness to ron payday.I will only pay with cash & It is also Totally Illegal for any business to refuse to accept any payments of cash. Now on a different subject, The Government had their hand in making School Children to do their work with laptops/Chromebooks etc; Now the price of Internet Providers are about to increase their charges to be connected to the internet.If households cannot afford the increase;How are the school children do their homework and research. Are the households going to forgo paying certain bills,Go without food,medicines so they can pay their electricity bills & Internet Providers so their children don't fall behind at school?

The sad thing is that we are all reliant on technology, I have always had cash and used my card, but it does prove that cash is a commodity that is still very relevant in today's society. Also although buying food is very important and keeping warm this time of year particularly is important, there are many other issues that are not always thought of, like hospitals not being able to cope with a huge outage for things that are keeping babies, adults alive, doing life saving surgery, emergency services using their equipment batteries only last a certain amount of time before they need to be charged. People rely on their mobile phones and again once the battery has run out the only thing you can do with that is to ring for an emergency which may be hard when thousands of others are doing the same thing. I think we should look at the whole picture and say yes technology has come along way in helping but let us not ONLY rely on that to keep ourselves functioning.

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock