SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Technology Rules The Roost...

As I sit here at 8pm on a Friday night working very last minute in order to get tomorrow morning's newsletter into your inboxes because of a global 'Cloudstrike' outage, I can't help but think how did the entire globe become reliant on one piece of technology?

Planes have been grounded, banking shut down, supermarkets closed, even the good ol' SDC got hit by the outage! Is this just something we have to accept and live with? Has technology gone too far? Members, I'd love to hear your thoughts. We haven't always had technology like this, and although it's incredible and allows for online communities like these, there are also so many challenges. Do we just take the good with the bad? Or do things need to change?

You tell me! I'm fascinated and am feeling awfully chatty.

I hope you all have a lovely day and hopefully a far more relaxing day today than yesterday and I hope none of you were impacted by this outage!

Reactions: NotNats
Just re-enforces my saying " what happens now when the power goes out?"
We are so reliant on power today which in turn runs this technology.
I agree with the previous comment... we just have to learn to live with it and unfortunately some people will die because of it!

It proves a point about carrying cash. My husband and I always have cash around in case of things like this happening. We should stop the cashless ideas from happening. The same that has happened with this outage is also like if there is no electricity as everything would shut down. Even cars as the electonics in them could stop them from driving.

I was in the shopping centre at the time. There were queues everywhere. I felt sorry for the staff in Kmart, especially the younger ones. I was able to jump the queue because I had cash while customers were standing bewildered not knowing what to do. How did we get here 😳

Technology is here to stay by order of The Powers That Be and we as mere servants must toe the line. Remember people in the end do we really have the power to change most things. NO we don't. I'm not saying stop fighting against change but always keep in mind that the Few Normally Rule the Earth and we must change or be broken by it.

Well I'm not overly tech savvy, but I do my banking, shop and of course SDC, and must say the convenience is great.
I guess the good outweighs the bad (???) unless you've been scammed, bullied, etc.
It's too late now, we just have to learn to live with it.

Its interesting ,the main thinking I am reading is of buying and using cash, and how inconvenient lives are without the ability to spend. My thoughts go to those dear soles who are connected to machines for various medical reasons, in operating theatres being operated on by robots, babies in humidity cribs trying to breath, and the desperate situation the poor staff experience during these horrendous times.

The glitch was a warning for us not to allow computer functions to rule our
war infested planet.
I say an emphatic NO to AI evolving to rule us.
C

Well I don’t know how old you are Maddie but it sounds like to me you do not have any patience in waiting for computer glitches to be rectified by the servers
Cast yourself back in time if you were alive then when you thought if you had a 1.44 or 3.5 floppy drive and you had 20 meg of memory no games had graphics it was just black and white and you had to type in the commands like go north or climb through window, monitors that were huge in size no laptops or streamline monitors
My first computer was a Commodore 64 then eventually a IBM
Your probably sitting there reading this thinking gees how old is this old fart well 70 watched it all eventuate over time and if it didnt all progress could you imagine the number of people that would not be gamers or playing on their iPhones sending texts but actually still sitting down writing letters to each other the old method of proper communication

Last edited: