Tech Talk with Dr Al: Password Managers – Do We Need Them?

Note from the Editor:
This article was written by member Alan G.

Over the years, I have built up quite a large collection of passwords and have kept them in a special file on a removable SD card or thumb drive, using the same philosophy that most of us old fogies use: ‘You can’t really trust anybody!’ I suppose keeping passwords on a scrap of paper in the dusty depths of your wallet is similar to keeping your money in an old sock under the mattress. Having been scammed a couple of times and lost money, I can quite sympathise with that philosophy.

Note from the Editor: You can read Alan’s Investment Scam Saga here and a bank fraud case.

Anyway, to passwords and the management of them.

Sponsored
Tell ya what ... I'm gettin' really sick and tired of seeing "Oops. We ran into some problems ... " on the SDC site when I try to log in. Anyway, I use my car rego number with "It's just a jump to the left" for the letters and numerals a la the Rocky Horror song inside two asterisks and the site name in lower case at the end. So the SDC password would be ** XYZ123**sdc if that were my rego number.

I use many software programs from Ashampoo. I have their pw manager and have had for years. Their customer service is great. They are based in Europe so don’t let that discourage you to use them! You can also earn points with your purchases which helps towards other full version software you might be interested in trying out!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Guilty as charged with using the same password for multiple sites! I guess now's the best time to make some changes 🤣
Same as me.

Password managers secure? I would say NO. By using such an application for password security has alarm bells ringing. Hackers would have access to password managers through a backdoor. They are always one step ahead of the latest security measures.

If hackers can infiltrate the US military, I'm very sure they can hack a password manager. I don't trust anyone but my little black book with all my passwords in it. And guess what! I don't need a password to access it.🤗
I would lose the book constantly! I lose my glasses and spend an hour looking for them… usually when I’m wearing them! I have my passwords in a note on my phone which I need my password to access. But on my computer I have Sticky Password from Ashampoo. I’ve never had an issue with it

If hackers can infiltrate the US military, I'm very sure they can hack a password manager. I don't trust anyone but my little black book with all my passwords in it. And guess what! I don't need a password to access it.🤗
I rely on the grey mush between my ears....