As Safe As A Bank

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

An unfortunate ‘downside’ of living with an ever-increasing number of electronic gadgets, supposedly designed to make our lives easier, is the relative ease with which that same technology is used against us fraudulently to relieve us of our savings.

We’re all used to scams by now, whether in the emails we get or the bogus Amazon and Telstra phone calls based in Mumbai, but the one I want to alert you to is far more serious. It concerns banks and identity theft.

I really hope that by writing this, I may actually help somebody to protect themselves. We used to think that keeping your money in a bank was by far the best thing to do, but after my experience, I really wonder if I should just keep it in an old sock under the mattress!

I’m not certain, but the first indication of something being amiss was a text message we got from a health care appointment provider advising us that our Medicare card information had been compromised – but ‘not to worry, it’s only the information on the card, nothing more’. I didn’t act straight away, but after about a week, I decided to apply for a new Medicare card. No problem so far. That was about November last year.

In January this year, we decided to buy a new washing machine and, after a lot of research, ordered and paid for one from Harvey Norman using my P&N Bank card, which required a PIN number to be entered. (P&N bank is based in Western Australia). We stopped on the way home and used the card again – tap-and-go this time – for groceries. When we got home, I got a notification that there’d been a transfer of money into an account in my name of about $2000. I quickly checked up online and found another transfer of over $2000, and both these payments, as well as a number of smaller payments, had been progressively transferred from my account into an account under my name that I knew nothing about. In other words, our money had been taken from our everyday account and moved into a bogus account created by ‘somebody’ allowing money to be moved to this person’s account in another bank!

The culprit’s name shown on the bank statement was Kwun Yun, and our account had been cleaned out! Of course, I immediately rang the bank, and after being on hold (for what seemed like an eternity), my account was frozen, and the lengthy procedure of investigation began. They advised me that they would try to get some of the money back but couldn’t promise anything. I then contacted Westpac Bank, where I held a credit card account, to advise them that I’d had a problem with the P&N account, but they told me that nobody had touched my Westpac account at that time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing…

Last edited:
Sponsored
Note from the Editor:

An unfortunate ‘downside’ of living with an ever-increasing number of electronic gadgets, supposedly designed to make our lives easier, is the relative ease with which that same technology is used against us fraudulently to relieve us of our savings.

We’re all used to scams by now, whether in the emails we get or the bogus Amazon and Telstra phone calls based in Mumbai, but the one I want to alert you to is far more serious. It concerns banks and identity theft.

I really hope that by writing this, I may actually help somebody to protect themselves. We used to think that keeping your money in a bank was by far the best thing to do, but after my experience, I really wonder if I should just keep it in an old sock under the mattress!

I’m not certain, but the first indication of something being amiss was a text message we got from a health care appointment provider advising us that our Medicare card information had been compromised – but ‘not to worry, it’s only the information on the card, nothing more’. I didn’t act straight away, but after about a week, I decided to apply for a new Medicare card. No problem so far. That was about November last year.

In January this year, we decided to buy a new washing machine and, after a lot of research, ordered and paid for one from Harvey Norman using my P&N Bank card, which required a PIN number to be entered. (P&N bank is based in Western Australia). We stopped on the way home and used the card again – tap-and-go this time – for groceries. When we got home, I got a notification that there’d been a transfer of money into an account in my name of about $2000. I quickly checked up online and found another transfer of over $2000, and both these payments, as well as a number of smaller payments, had been progressively transferred from my account into an account under my name that I knew nothing about. In other words, our money had been taken from our everyday account and moved into a bogus account created by ‘somebody’ allowing money to be moved to this person’s account in another bank!

The culprit’s name shown on the bank statement was Kwun Yun, and our account had been cleaned out! Of course, I immediately rang the bank, and after being on hold (for what seemed like an eternity), my account was frozen, and the lengthy procedure of investigation began. They advised me that they would try to get some of the money back but couldn’t promise anything. I then contacted Westpac Bank, where I held a credit card account, to advise them that I’d had a problem with the P&N account, but they told me that nobody had touched my Westpac account at that time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing…

Glad you did go into much detail here Alan, gave us an idea of who needs to be contacted in such a situation & what can be expected when dealing with different departments.

l didn't find it long at all, just very thorough.

Thankyou for taking time to put this article together for us.

Note from the Editor:

Note from the Editor:

back March 2017 we were broken into and my handbag and my partner's wallet and keys were taken. we awoke to the car being taken and immediately money taken from a credit card. Police called in. I went through hell for over 6 months as our credit was used one after the other. We applied for new licences which was useless as they were the same numbers. Through the police, we applied for new numbers which duly arrived. Great. NO, as the credit was still used due to licence numbers not being checked. I was the sleuth, not the police. They were given all the information I had gathered and not one thing was done. OH! They did find the car, a write-off at our expense. Do not hold your breath for help from the Police, you are just a number. Finally, after about 6 months I had to attend the Police station and sign several papers, since that day 2017 there has been no contact with the Police, now 2024. I was told not to worry as they will be caught, could be 20 years, but they will be caught. Comforting news. In November I had a heart attack, stent, and came out of hospital with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. 2017 was a bitch of a year. A gentle reminder all they need is your drivers licence.
Hopefully things have been better since, @Jest 🙏

An interesting story and thank you for sharing. I live in an isolated area and do a lot of shopping online. And some sites I doubt. I have been considering getting a card which is unrelated to my main accounts and putting a small amount of money into it. That way any online fraud would only get this card. What do you think of this?

Reactions: Ezzy and Jo Piper3
thanks for the replies. No, not really Lymphoma back, this time in the blood. anyway as they say upright and breathing. Take care everyone.
Please keep us updated on any changes, good or otherwise. l would like to know how you are fairing as many of your friends here would. Will keep you in my prayers dear friend.

Reactions: Leodalion63