Alan G.’s Investment Scam Saga

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Alan G.

How do you spot an investment scam? How do you find an organisation you can really trust?

Many of us might think we would never be caught like those poor people who have succumbed to even a small amount of greed, but mark my words, it’s really not as easy to avoid as you’d think.

Today’s criminal fraudsters know ways around computers we could only guess at.

I’d always regarded myself as being reasonably ‘computer savvy’ and did plenty of research when it came to how our money was spent online, but I was caught, like many others, by a scheme that seemed so genuine that my greed got the better of me.

shutterstock_2213284223 (1).jpg
Be cautious of anything involving money. Image Credit: Shutterstock

We’d saved $20,000 in a separate bank account that was our savings ‘nest egg’, but before the COVID pandemic, when interest rates were quite low, I started looking around at where I could sign up for a ‘term deposit’ that would give me a better return than a regular bank’s term deposit. I investigated a lot of different options, being careful to avoid offers of a high rate that relied on mortgage defaults and so on.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Why is only half of the story showing?
Yes I would like to know that as well.
Where is the rest of this story?
Me too!! Or is this a ploy to get us to sign up to the SDC Rewards Club?😅
Hi there!

Apologies for the confusion; we tried to clarify in the newsletter that this story is an SDC Rewards early access exclusive for now (see below).
One of the perks of SDC Rewards membership is early access to some stories. We will reshare this story and open it up to everyone next Thursday. :giggle:

Reactions: Ezzy
Have you ever stopped to think that new members are continually joining, who haven't heard these stories before. You don't have to read them, just skip ,- simple.
Exactly. This has been my argument often here. Some comments are best left unsaid by some people.
One of my daughter's would say, "suck it up Princess".

Hi there!

Apologies for the confusion; we tried to clarify in the newsletter that this story is an SDC Rewards early access exclusive for now (see below).
One of the perks of SDC Rewards membership is early access to some stories. We will reshare this story and open it up to everyone next Thursday. :giggle:
Your stories are not good or new to pay for them,plus your app which I downloaded is crap it hardly ever works when I try to post

Your stories are not good or new to pay for them,plus your app which I downloaded is crap it hardly ever works when I try to post
Hi @Barbara V , feel free to email us [email protected] and we can try and help you troubleshoot the app issues. If you have feedback on our articles, you can send it there as well or message me privately, and we can have a chat. There is no requirement to sign up for SDC Rewards.

Thanks for your story @Alan G......so sorry to hear of your loss to these scamming bastards.....they are popping up everywhere and it's rather frightening of where you could be caught out unwittingly next time you are online. Your story is a reminder to us that aren't all that tech savvy to be extremely careful at all times on the internet.....take care and best wishes Alan.

99.9% of investment schemes are a SCAM.
The only person who makes money is the receiver, the scammer himself. Just remember that abd you won't lose your money.
TREAT EVERYTHING AS A SCAM UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE THAT'S IT'S NOT.