Tassie mum defied all odds to be surrogate mother for her daughter’s baby

A 54-year-old mum from Tasmania is putting her body on the line to give her daughter the wonderful chance of being a mother.

Maree Arnold is currently in the final stages of pregnancy. The baby she’s carrying will be her grandchild.

iCKzli2zvi2auE0QJ-hMCgzjbiX04StZ283GoOmqqqnfLCLHaibFqHdyIOhRCwRWV3MREFSpoEs9IgXh8amjXiVf25e5zw9AtL76bq4lwA7XGOQ2hUhUKrd3AAs529pfG4Ai7Viq

Maree is due in January. Photo from North-Eastern Advertiser.
Maree’s daughter, Meagan White, was born with MRKH (Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser) syndrome, a rare disorder characterised by the failure of the uterus and the vagina to develop properly in women.

Meagan is 28 years old and has no uterus.

To bear a child, IVF (in vitro fertilisation) was the only option.

Meagan and her partner searched far and wide, even reaching Canada, to find a suitable surrogate, but they had no success.

And then her mother Maree proposed an option that no one had ever considered: she volunteered to be the surrogate mother for her daughter’s child.

It has been two decades since Maree last gave birth, so they thought her age would prove to be an obstacle.

Doctors recommend that gestational carriers are under 40 years of age. But after several months of scans and ultrasounds, Maree pushed through and is in her final trimester.

“It’s a whole new experience carrying our grandbaby; I’m just being so careful, so very careful,” said Maree.

“The idea of giving Meagan and Clayde their baby is just lovely.”

“Most people that I’ve spoken to have said they would do it for their daughter; they wouldn’t think twice about it.”

Meagan and her husband will be allowed in the delivery room come January 2022, with a planned caesarean booked in for the birth of their little boy.

“Mum and I are so close, we see each other all the time, so this whole journey is just incredible,” said the would-be mother.

“Our little boy is in the safest place he could be, baking away with mum.”

Sponsored
I have been lucky enough to not have to think about this but I would also do it in a heartbeat. The happiness of a child and then a grandchild is the ultimate gift.

You Mother is the most precious Lady in the world. Cherish Her and all the best for your Mother, Baby, You and your Husband. Congratulations.

Well done Mum, I would have done the same for my daughter to have a precious baby. congratulations to you all. Such love. 💐💐💕💕💕