'Take me back!': ALDI receipt from a decade ago leaves thousands in shock

These days, it’s hard not to wince when you take a good look at your grocery bill at the end of your grocery shop.

But one Aussie shopper was left absolutely gobsmacked recently when she found a 12-year-old ALDI receipt and took a closer look.

The shopper shared an image of a docket she had found inside a book in a social media post, saying: 'I found a receipt from 2012.'

In the picture was a paper, a bit yellowed with age, detailing the prices of goods from just over a decade ago. One product caught her attention: '$1.39 for 250g butter.'

The same item has increased a staggering 165 per cent as it now costs $3.69 at ALDI.

SDC Images (17).png
One ALDI shopper discovered a receipt from a grocery shop done in 2012. Image source: ALDI (left), Facebook (right).

She added: 'The butter is over two and a half times the price now.'

The post prompted several reactions from other users, but another detail caused further outrage among other shoppers.

'Leave the butter, look at the cheese block,' one commented.

The docket showed the price for a 500g block of tasty cheese that was at $3.79 in 2012. Now, it costs $6.99 at ALDI—an increase of 84 per cent from its price 11 years ago.

One user replied: 'Now you need to remortgage your house to buy that $3 block of cheese.'

While another said: 'I get [anxious] when I go shopping now—the prices are just crazy ridiculous.'

'I used to have a good stock of everything in my pantry, now it’s just empty shelves and weekly doing the groceries, paying a mortgage twice as we used to pay,' a third shared.

'Pity my pay hasn’t quadrupled in 11 years,' a fourth added, as another simply requested: 'Take me back!'

While one user suggested: 'Can someone hurry up and invent a time machine so we can go back to when it was good to live here?'

'Prices have gone insane yet wages haven’t risen and pensions have hardly risen enough to really help.'

But not all of the items had seen such large price increases.

Surprisingly, a packet of pasta spirals set the shopper back just $2.89 twelve years ago—with the current price listed at $2.99.

In similar news, another shopper discovered a docket from a grocery shop done in Coles three decades ago.

The receipt revealed that in 1992, two kilograms of white onions cost $2.48, and a large bag of chips for entertaining cost only $2.98. In stark contrast, shoppers today can be charged as much as $7.20 for a smaller bag of chips.

The receipt also displayed the prices of two packs of thick sausages, which were $6.15 and $5.91, respectively.

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI customer’s receipt from 2012 has sparked debate on social media due to the sharp increase in prices of everyday items.
  • The receipt showed that the price of 250g of butter had risen from $1.39 in 2012 to $3.69 now, a 165 per cent increase.
  • Similarly, a 500g block of cheese that cost $3.79 in 2012, was currently priced at $6.99 at ALDI, an 84 per cent increase.
  • Social media users have expressed their disappointment at the steep price increases, lamenting that wages and pensions have not risen at the same rate.
Members, how do you feel about the prices of everyday items at the grocery store? Is it getting harder and harder to budget? Share your experiences, thoughts, and tips with us in the comment section below.

Sponsored
These days, it’s hard not to wince when you take a good look at your grocery bill at the end of your grocery shop.

But one Aussie shopper was left absolutely gobsmacked recently when she found a 12-year-old ALDI receipt and took a closer look.

The shopper shared an image of a docket she had found inside a book in a social media post, saying: 'I found a receipt from 2012.'

In the picture was a paper, a bit yellowed with age, detailing the prices of goods from just over a decade ago. One product caught her attention: '$1.39 for 250g butter.'

The same item has increased a staggering 165 per cent as it now costs $3.69 at ALDI.

View attachment 31554
One ALDI shopper discovered a receipt from a grocery shop done in 2012. Image source: ALDI (left), Facebook (right).

The post prompted several reactions from other users, but another detail caused further outrage among other shoppers.

The docket showed the price for a 500g block of tasty cheese that was at $3.79 in 2012. Now, it costs $6.99 at ALDI—an increase of 84 per cent from its price 11 years ago.

One user replied: 'Now you need to remortgage your house to buy that $3 block of cheese.'

While another said: 'I get [anxious] when I go shopping now—the prices are just crazy ridiculous.'

'I used to have a good stock of everything in my pantry, now it’s just empty shelves and weekly doing the groceries, paying a mortgage twice as we used to pay,' a third shared.

'Pity my pay hasn’t quadrupled in 11 years,' a fourth added, as another simply requested: 'Take me back!'

While one user suggested: 'Can someone hurry up and invent a time machine so we can go back to when it was good to live here?'

'Prices have gone insane yet wages haven’t risen and pensions have hardly risen enough to really help.'

Surprisingly, a packet of pasta spirals set the shopper back just $2.89 twelve years ago—with the current price listed at $2.99.

In similar news, another shopper discovered a docket from a grocery shop done in Coles three decades ago.

The receipt revealed that in 1992, two kilograms of white onions cost $2.48, and a large bag of chips for entertaining cost only $2.98. In stark contrast, shoppers today can be charged as much as $7.20 for a smaller bag of chips.

The receipt also displayed the prices of two packs of thick sausages, which were $6.15 and $5.91, respectively.

Key Takeaways

• An ALDI customer’s receipt from 2012 has sparked debate on social media due to the sharp increase in prices of everyday items.
  • The receipt showed that the price of 250g of butter had risen from $1.39 in 2012 to $3.69 now, a 165 per cent increase.
  • Similarly, a 500g block of cheese that cost $3.79 in 2012, was currently priced at $6.99 at ALDI, an 84 per cent increase.
  • Social media users have expressed their disappointment at the steep price increases, lamenting that wages and pensions have not risen at the same rate.
Members, how do you feel about the prices of everyday items at the grocery store? Is it getting harder and harder to budget? Share your experiences, thoughts, and tips with us in the comment section below.
Everything is going up substantially except age pensions. Before people start cracking on about the purpose of super!! it came a bit late for some us. Personally I don't think the advantage of super will kick in for the next twenty years, that is if political parties don't start piss farting about with it like it seems they are doing now!.

Last edited:

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

When I got married in 1981 I counted the items I bought at shopping. 30 items - $30, 40 items - $40 etc and it was an easy way to know how much I spent. Now the average item price is over $6 per item or 30 items $180, 40 items $240 etc.

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

Where are the thousands of people left in shock??? Get real SDC! Stop using all this over the top stuff!!!!

Everything is going up substantially except age pensions. Before people start cracking on about the purpose of super!! it came a bit late for some us. Personally I don't think the advantage of super will kick in for the next twenty years, that is if political parties don't start piss farting about with it like it seems they are doing now!.
the age pension has always been a subsistence income. It WAS formulated on the basis people would own their own home, potentially grow some produce on the 1/4 acres they lived on with a couple of chooks. Compulsory super has been in place for well over 30 years now. Add another 20 years to that and all super will be is an inheritance, which unfortunately is what many holders of super think it is. Lots of retirees also made no plans for their retirement, public housing, welfare dependant, tennants or just poor planning and life choices in your working days. If people have nothing in super from the past 30 years, then they most likely were in receipt of welfare or possibly drew down like so many did in covid thinking retirement isn't part of the plan.

Do you feel better expressing yourself with such obnoxious language?

Hi All, I got a total shock when I went into my local supermarket (foodworks). Friday before last I purchased a loaf of bread the cost was $4.40. The very next Tuesday I went to buy that exact product and the price was $5.30. That is an increase of 90 cents in just a couple of days. Our big $6.00 pension increase just covers one loaf of bread. Guess bread is going to be off my menu soon. Johanah

Reactions: SandyM and croz

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

Surprisingly, markdown bread can still be bought for about the same price.

Hi All, I got a total shock when I went into my local supermarket (foodworks). Friday before last I purchased a loaf of bread the cost was $4.40. The very next Tuesday I went to buy that exact product and the price was $5.30. That is an increase of 90 cents in just a couple of days. Our big $6.00 pension increase just covers one loaf of bread. Guess bread is going to be off my menu soon. Johanah

If you shop at Food works, you can expect dearer prices

Actually pays have more than quadrupled since 2008 and prices have been kept at a lower level by sacking people and using automation, this has avoided quadruplication of overheads and as a result prices have increased by less than wage increases...the highest cost today for any product is labour and fuel

• Haha
Reactions: marni and siameezer

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

Back in 1975 my weekly shopping for groceries, and Vegs was $14 for a family of 6.
I bought whole sheep for about $40, beef was bought in bulk around $30 and would last 3 months. A large chicken was $1-75. Milk delivered 9 cents a pint 4 pints a day.
Now average $80 a eeek for 1.
Happy not to have a family to feed now.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Well not much you can do about it just shop around. Most stores have got you by the short and curlys. Can you find some more interesting articles a lot of rehash here

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

When I got married in 1981 I counted the items I bought at shopping. 30 items - $30, 40 items - $40 etc and it was an easy way to know how much I spent. Now the average item price is over $6 per item or 30 items $180, 40 items $240 etc.
Well that is 42 years ago that's two generations

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

What are you all complaining about? The prices have also gone up likewise at Coles & Woollies and the rest!
12 years ago was about the last time i did grocery shopping at Aldi because of Sulphites in most of their food items and the limited amount of fruit/veg/meat etc they stock especially in local stores.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 31554

Key Takeaways

I don’t think it’s just Aldi it’s everywhere that the prices have gone up…not sure why they are singled out…prices skyrocketed when covid came along…everyone jumped on the band wagon…just plain greed again 😐

Reactions: Ricci and Reaper123
What are you all complaining about? The prices have also gone up likewise at Coles & Woollies and the rest!
12 years ago was about the last time i did grocery shopping at Aldi because of Sulphites in most of their food items and the limited amount of fruit/veg/meat etc they stock especially in local stores.
if you haven't been to Aldi i the last twelve years you are unaware of all the positive changes - you are not qualified to speak of todays Aldi.