Take a Trip Down Memory Lane and See What Men's Fashion Looked Like in 1970s Australia

Ahh, the 70s - what a time to be alive! From bold new hairstyles and hemlines to the explosion of fashion that was inspired by the decade's music and tv shows, there was a lot to appreciate from the 1970s when it came to style.

And no collection of 70s fashion is complete without a look at menswear - which some of our members here at SDC have sported themselves.

A page from an advertisement published in the 70s, believed to depict a typical outfit for work during the decade, recently surfaced on Reddit, capturing the attention of several users.

The ad, which was posted by a user on the website, shows a close-up shot of a man's outfit, which includes stubbie shorts, business shirts in long or short sleeves, leather belts, and socks that reach the knees.

'Fellow Australians, may I present to you the iconic men's outfit,' the caption read. 'There was no other outfit that screamed "AUSTRALIA" more than this one.'

327010341_1628445967592113_7668605413852114756_n.png
The Reddit user claimed that the ad showed a 'typical' 70s male Aussie fashion. Credit: Reddit.

The post on the Reddit social media platform quickly went viral and caught the attention of many Australians, some of whom shared their 'amazing' memories of men's apparel from that era.

One person recalled how his 'typical' dad used to wear this outfit every day of his life, joking that his dad 'even died in them'.

The user shared: 'Except for his stubbies, he also always wore his horrible plastic sandals that were so rock hard they lasted years and years.'

Even though the user admitted that he found this particular outfit to be 'terrifying,' he still admitted that he was a fan of it because his dad's stubbies represented 'a simpler time.'

Others had less pleasant yet hilarious memories with the stubbie shorts, with some claiming that those who wore them were prone to accidentally flashing in public.

One user said: 'The only problem with stubbies is when you sit down in summer and your private parts fall out the bottom and/or get sunburnt.'

'When my dad, who was wearing stubbies, stayed with us for a few weeks, my wife would complain he wasn't wearing undies while working on her car,' another said,

One user even shared a hilarious story about how their sister's husband ended up accidentally exposing his genitals in front of the family while he was asleep on the couch in his stubbies.

'My sister was getting married in 1981 and her fiancé was not well-liked by my parents,' the person recalled.

'He fell asleep watching the boxing day test on the lounge and all of his junk lolled out the bottom of the stubbies and sat squatting like a hairy cane toad on my mum's green vinyl lounge.'

'My dad's only comment was "well, finally we know what she sees in him..."'

Others associated the outfit with teachers, sharing that they could vividly remember how most male educators in the 70s were sporting the look in school.

One comment read: 'My first thought was that this is the universal uniform of bus drivers, maths, and arts teachers.'

'Every male teacher at my 1970s western Sydney primary school was dressed in some iteration of this look, and if I didn't know better I'd swear the bloke on the left was one of them,' another said.

Speaking of professionals wearing this outfit, one user took the opportunity to air his frustration about how some workplaces in some states do not allow male workers to wear 'business shorts'.

'Seriously, the fact that a lot of places do not really accept shorts for men as business wear is a massive pain when working in QLD and NT,' the user wrote.

Another shared his sentiments, claiming that wearing trousers reduced his productivity as the weather in Australia can be really intense, especially during warmer months.

Interestingly, there were a few comments questioning why anyone would want to dress in this iconic style - the conversation soon turned to practicality and comfort!

Others claimed that the look allowed people to 'get away' with wearing a comfortable, yet professional-looking outfit.

Key Takeaways

• An advertisement in the 70s showed a typical men’s work outfit during the era.
  • This outfit included a shirt and tie with shorts and socks up to the knees.
  • Many people commented on the post with stories of their partners or husbands trying this look.
  • Another commonly mentioned opinion was regarding the lack of acceptance for business shorts today.

While fashion trends, especially office attire, may have changed, it’s not hard to admire the impact this look has had on fashion, even today. This look, as depicted in the advertisement, will surely be remembered for years to come!

Members, did you, your husbands, dads or friends try wearing this look back in the day? We’d love to hear your stories in the comment section below!

Sponsored
Oh. how that image made me shudder! Male school teachers, the Beige Brigade! Mind you some of my school outfits were vey cringeworthy! I remember having my hair curly permed, I thought I looked great. The kids all wanted to stick their fingers in my fairy floss hair!

Ahh, the 70s - what a time to be alive! From bold new hairstyles and hemlines to the explosion of fashion that was inspired by the decade's music and tv shows, there was a lot to appreciate from the 1970s when it came to style.

And no collection of 70s fashion is complete without a look at menswear - which some of our members here at SDC have sported themselves.

A page from an advertisement published in the 70s, believed to depict a typical outfit for work during the decade, recently surfaced on Reddit, capturing the attention of several users.

The ad, which was posted by a user on the website, shows a close-up shot of a man's outfit, which includes stubbie shorts, business shirts in long or short sleeves, leather belts, and socks that reach the knees.

'Fellow Australians, may I present to you the iconic men's outfit,' the caption read. 'There was no other outfit that screamed "AUSTRALIA" more than this one.'

View attachment 12432
The Reddit user claimed that the ad showed a 'typical' 70s male Aussie fashion. Credit: Reddit.

The post on the Reddit social media platform quickly went viral and caught the attention of many Australians, some of whom shared their 'amazing' memories of men's apparel from that era.

One person recalled how his 'typical' dad used to wear this outfit every day of his life, joking that his dad 'even died in them'.

The user shared: 'Except for his stubbies, he also always wore his horrible plastic sandals that were so rock hard they lasted years and years.'

Even though the user admitted that he found this particular outfit to be 'terrifying,' he still admitted that he was a fan of it because his dad's stubbies represented 'a simpler time.'

Others had less pleasant yet hilarious memories with the stubbie shorts, with some claiming that those who wore them were prone to accidentally flashing in public.

One user said: 'The only problem with stubbies is when you sit down in summer and your private parts fall out the bottom and/or get sunburnt.'

'When my dad, who was wearing stubbies, stayed with us for a few weeks, my wife would complain he wasn't wearing undies while working on her car,' another said,

One user even shared a hilarious story about how their sister's husband ended up accidentally exposing his genitals in front of the family while he was asleep on the couch in his stubbies.

'My sister was getting married in 1981 and her fiancé was not well-liked by my parents,' the person recalled.

'He fell asleep watching the boxing day test on the lounge and all of his junk lolled out the bottom of the stubbies and sat squatting like a hairy cane toad on my mum's green vinyl lounge.'

Others associated the outfit with teachers, sharing that they could vividly remember how most male educators in the 70s were sporting the look in school.

One comment read: 'My first thought was that this is the universal uniform of bus drivers, maths, and arts teachers.'

'Every male teacher at my 1970s western Sydney primary school was dressed in some iteration of this look, and if I didn't know better I'd swear the bloke on the left was one of them,' another said.

Speaking of professionals wearing this outfit, one user took the opportunity to air his frustration about how some workplaces in some states do not allow male workers to wear 'business shorts'.

'Seriously, the fact that a lot of places do not really accept shorts for men as business wear is a massive pain when working in QLD and NT,' the user wrote.

Another shared his sentiments, claiming that wearing trousers reduced his productivity as the weather in Australia can be really intense, especially during warmer months.

Interestingly, there were a few comments questioning why anyone would want to dress in this iconic style - the conversation soon turned to practicality and comfort!

Others claimed that the look allowed people to 'get away' with wearing a comfortable, yet professional-looking outfit.

Key Takeaways

• An advertisement in the 70s showed a typical men’s work outfit during the era.
  • Many people commented on the post with stories of their partners or husbands trying this look.
  • Another commonly mentioned opinion was regarding the lack of acceptance for business shorts today.

While fashion trends, especially office attire, may have changed, it’s not hard to admire the impact this look has had on fashion, even today. This look, as depicted in the advertisement, will surely be remembered for years to come!

Members, did you, your husbands, dads or friends try wearing this look back in the day? We’d love to hear your stories in the comment section below!
My husband wore shorts and long socks for many years to work. So much more appropriate for our hot climate. Workplace dress standards are virtually non existent for women but the poor guys must dress in slacks or suits. I say bring back the safari suit and shorts and long socks! 😍

Yep, my hubby wore blue shorts, lilac shirt and matching tie, with long socks. It was his cute behind that got me going! All men wore shorts in our office. AND when I first arrived at Darwin airport in 1972 (immigrant) I couldn’t believe my eyes, airport staff in same outfits, beige, beige and more beige, drinking beer in the early hours of the morning. I wondered where I was!

View attachment 12432

Key Takeaways

Yep, my hubby wore blue shorts, lilac shirt and matching tie, with long socks. It was his cute behind that got me going! All men wore shorts in our office. AND when I first arrived at Darwin airport in 1972 (immigrant) I couldn’t believe my eyes, airport staff in same outfits, beige, beige and more beige, drinking beer in the early hours of the morning. I wondered where I was!

View attachment 12432

Key Takeaways

Those long socks always seemed to be too tight, and hot, but the shorts were worn everywhere.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
My husband operated excavators, backhoes and the like, he wore stubbie shorts, short socks and work boots, typical blue collar worker outfit. In winter he wore jeans. For going out he had bell bottom trousers and patterned shirts. My male school teachers all wore those outfits, some of the younger ones looked very sexy in them, most of the older ones should have been more conservative with longer shorts or trousers. Female teachers mostly wore dresses or skirts and blouses, rarely trousers or jeans even in winter and never shorts, it just wasn’t acceptable attire for a teacher back then.

View attachment 12432

Key Takeaways

NZ was no different. I wore the same outfit to work for many years. Even the Marketing Mgr,of NZ's leading housing company wore it too in the summer.
Oh, and I even had a hoindstooth crimplene safari suit well in to the 80s.

NZ was no different. I wore the same outfit to work for many years. Even the Marketing Mgr,of NZ's leading housing company wore it too in the summer.
Oh, and I even had a houndstooth crimplene safari suit well in to the 80s.

Reactions: debjane
Oh. how that image made me shudder! Male school teachers, the Beige Brigade! Mind you some of my school outfits were vey cringeworthy! I remember having my hair curly permed, I thought I looked great. The kids all wanted to stick their fingers in my fairy floss hair!
Omgg I had permed tight curly hair

Reactions: Ricci
When I arrived in Australia the first thing it caught my attention was the dressing of shorts, long socks and ties. I thought it was hilarious!!
But when my husband started wearing stubbies shorts and singlets (he worked in construction) it was a turning point in my life 🫣🫣😂😂
How things have changed 👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions: debjane and Ricci