Take a look at this Qantas's aircraft's stunning new design!

Change is a constant in life, and when it comes to a beloved airline like Qantas, even the slightest shift in appearance can pique curiosity.

The airline has unveiled a fresh look that goes beyond mere aesthetics; it pays homage to a rich cultural heritage.

Qantas is set to introduce a new look to its fleet with the upcoming launch of its first A220 aircraft.

Departing from the iconic red kangaroo design, the new QantasLink plane was revealed in Canada, showcasing a vibrant blue and green Indigenous design.

Although the signature kangaroo remains, it's now presented in white against the captivating backdrop.

401717502_326640270000003_8462152648862947036_n.jpg
The QantasLink A220 aircraft is set to part ways with its iconic flying red kangaroo logo, making way for a new aesthetic featuring a blue and green Indigenous design. Image source: Facebook/Airline Secrets Exposed

The aircraft, adorned with the artwork of Pitjantjatjara artist Maringka Baker, is named after the Indigenous creation story ‘Minyma Kutjara Tjukurpa – The Two Sisters’.

The new A220 aircraft is scheduled to operate initially between Melbourne and Canberra.

The intricate Indigenous design, applied over two weeks by a team of around 100 painters using 130 stencils, features over 20,000 dots, making it Airbus' most complex livery for this aircraft type.

It is the sixth addition to Qantas’ Flying Art Series, a tradition dating back to 1994. This underscores the airline's strong commitment to featuring Indigenous art.

The A220 is also the first of 29 to replace QantasLink's Boeing 717s, offering improved fuel efficiency, fewer emissions, and reduced noise levels.

It is also the 12th new aircraft delivered to the airline group in the last year, comprising eight Airbus A321LR planes for Jetstar and three Boeing 787 Dreamliners for Qantas International.

Balarinji, collaborating with First Nations artists, played a pivotal role in designing the liveries for Qantas' Flying Art Series.

photo (5).jpg
The QantasLink A220 designed by Indigenous Australian agency Balarinji, will soon fly between Melbourne and Canberra, joining the fleet later this year. Image source: Facebook/Airline Secrets Exposed

Qantas Group CEO Vanessa Hudson expressed excitement about the potential impact of the new aircraft on domestic travel.

‘These aircraft have the potential to change how our customers travel across the country, with the ability to connect any two cities or towns in Australia,’ said Ms Hudson.

‘That means faster and more convenient travel for business trips and exciting new possibilities for holiday travel.’

‘A whole new fleet type also means a lot of opportunities for our people to operate and look after these aircraft.’

With the ability to connect various cities and towns across Australia, these A220s are hailed as game-changers, offering faster and more convenient travel options for both business and leisure.

As the A220 is ferried to Australia later this year, anticipation builds for its entry into service in early 2024, marking a significant milestone for Qantas' evolving fleet.
Key Takeaways

• Qantas has launched its new look for its first A220 aircraft, replacing the iconic flying red kangaroo design with a blue and green Indigenous design.
  • The aircraft artwork is by Pitjantjatjara artist Maringka Baker and is named after an Indigenous story of creation: ‘Minyma Kutjara Tjukurpa’. This is Qantas' sixth aircraft that joins their Flying Art Series.
  • The A220 uses significantly less fuel, generates fewer emissions and is quieter than the older aircraft it will replace.
  • This new aircraft is the first of 29 A220s that will eventually replace QantasLink's Boeing 717s. It has been referred to as a 'game-changer' for domestic travel by Qantas Group CEO Vanessa Hudson.
Members, how do you like this new look for Qantas A220 aircraft? Share your views in the comments below!

Sponsored
Qantas is largely Australian owned and is ours to be proud of.

With the safety record of Qantas, I can't believe there is such a stink about the colour of the Roo! For goodness sakes how puerile can you be!

indigenous culture isinteresting and varied , but does it have to be shoved down our throat constantly , by street , city and place name changes , smoking ceremonies , welcoming ceremonies every time we go to the football , fireworks or watch parliament open , and be told that this land ' always is , always will be ' , when I can't even get a deed to the house and land that I paid $500,000 for .
True right👍

I think it's stunning but obviously opinions differ. I think many are reluctant to forgive Qantas for their recent issues which is understandable. It's nearly a New Year so why do we not forgive, forget and start again with as was noted "our National Icon carrier" representing us at every major airport in the world. Happy New Year Qantas and everyone. let's make it a great one.
After all that being said I would question why this artwork was attached in Canada? Are we not capable of giving a plane a few licks of paint and some plastic stickers here in Australia especially when it is representing Australian culture?
Oh no we can't do that.We have to see it on our forum🤣

Reactions: Mr Chips
First use of Godwin's Law for 2024! Bravo!
Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
I don't think because I am partial to the red and white tail and our flying Joey on the back of our airline, that I should be compared in any way with Adolf Hitler!!!Great indigenous art,but,do we HAVE TO HAVE IT ON OUR PLANES TOO???
That's not bigoted or racist,just a personal opinion to which we are ,I think,still entitled to in this country are we not???

I don't think because I am partial to the red and white tail and our flying Joey on the back of our airline, that I should be compared in any way with Adolf Hitler!!!Great indigenous art,but,do we HAVE TO HAVE IT ON OUR PLANES TOO???
That's not bigoted or racist,just a personal opinion to which we are ,I think,still entitled to in this country are we not???
OK, this is on me. Have you read all the comments?

Whilst I was dead against QANTAS buying into the referendum, I have no objection to them using Aboriginal art to identify their planes. It is unique to Australia and shows we are not all against the Aboriginal people as some would like to believe.
Ok, but can we stick a Joey in there somewhere,so that we, and the rest of the world, still know it's Qantas?????

OK, this is on me. Have you read all the comments?
Yes Knell I have,and it seems that this has stirred up more passion,rudeness and nastiness,than the vote we all just went through not long ago.!!!!Most posts ARE about people not wanting anything indigenous on OUR anything,but that said I am also gobsmacked at what's been written here.STILL I love my JOEY ON THE TAIL IF MY QANTAS JET WHEN I FLY.It makes me feel proud and safe.
So what's so bad about that.
Let's all keep cool heads,it's the first day of the year and not make or take it so personally
Yes????

Yes Knell I have,and it seems that this has stirred up more passion,rudeness and nastiness,than the vote we all just went through not long ago.!!!!Most posts ARE about people not wanting anything indigenous on OUR anything,but that said I am also gobsmacked at what's been written here.STILL I love my JOEY ON THE TAIL IF MY QANTAS JET WHEN I FLY.It makes me feel proud and safe.
So what's so bad about that.
Let's all keep cool heads,it's the first day of the year and not make or take it so personally
Yes????
No!!! This quickly turned into hate speech - not much about it was about the artwork - it was about racism absolutely! The Joey is still there. What is more Australian that our First Nations People? You know, those people we slaughtered and treated like crap for so long. How on earth does it hurt anyone to acknowledge them is ways that make them feel some self worth after having been treated so poorly? Begrudge welfare and services for the most disadvantaged. If you find most of these comments reasonable there is nothing I can say except I am appalled by the insensitivity - you didn't like the personal comment from previous post...because it was insensitive to people who have suffered it...same applies in this case. The fact that Indigenous people are successfully making artwork that is stunning and very marketable is a great initiative and I am proud of Qantas for supporting this. Everyone certainly has a right to an opinion - AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT HURT SOMEONE. Hate speech AKA racism is not acceptable.

No!!! This quickly turned into hate speech - not much about it was about the artwork - it was about racism absolutely! The Joey is still there. What is more Australian that our First Nations People? You know, those people we slaughtered and treated like crap for so long. How on earth does it hurt anyone to acknowledge them is ways that make them feel some self worth after having been treated so poorly? Begrudge welfare and services for the most disadvantaged. If you find most of these comments reasonable there is nothing I can say except I am appalled by the insensitivity - you didn't like the personal comment from previous post...because it was insensitive to people who have suffered it...same applies in this case. The fact that Indigenous people are successfully making artwork that is stunning and very marketable is a great initiative and I am proud of Qantas for supporting this. Everyone certainly has a right to an opinion - AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT HURT SOMEONE. Hate speech AKA racism is not acceptable.
And...I will thank you not to condescend when you speak to me.

If you really need your decal to make you feel safe, warm and fuzzy then I feel sorry for you.
So when they try to reach up and gain some dignity and self sufficiency and expand.....we just have to knock them down! They are trying to make a go of it!

As a side note and because you condescend - I am fairly confident that for at least 25 of your 50 years I have paid more in taxes per annum (can you count 6 digits) than you have grossed in any of those years, so don’t think you can lecture me about working and paying taxes. I may be stupid, but not as stupid as some.
That’s assuming you know how much tax I paid in my 52 years of working life.
You know absolutely nothing about me you clown!
Actually I owned a business and was grossing 10 digits per month, not 6 digits per annum.
The taxes I paid on purchase, sales, profits, staff wages and personal wages etc far out way your 6 digits per annum. So you have just proven how stupid you are.
You know what ASSUME stands for?
Make an ASS out of U and ME.

WOW! Resorting to a personal attack. Never claimed to be an Einstein - do you?

The interpretation is interesting. I was speaking to the point that we pay out a lot of money in benefits, across a broad section of needs and as a society we all benefit from that, be it indigenous, aged, sickness, disability support etc. If we did not cover all bases as best as can budget for, people from all walks of life would fall down. Hospitals would be overloaded, GPs, Ambulance Service, Police Service and just about every service would be inadequate, crime would be much worse, people would die at a much greater rate, etc. One disadvantaged sector does not deserve more or less assistance than the other. Unless, of course, there is an attitude of more in MY pot, so I can get more gnarly fingers in the cookie jar.

What a nasty piece of work you are!
Not at resorting to Personal attack!
You were the one attacking those who receive aged pensions!

Not at resorting to Personal attack!
You were the one attacking those who receive aged pensions!
That’s assuming you know how much tax I paid in my 52 years of working life.
You know absolutely nothing about me you clown!
Actually I owned a business and was grossing 10 digits per month, not 6 digits per annum.
The taxes I paid on purchase, sales, profits, staff wages and personal wages etc far out way your 6 digits per annum. So you have just proven how stupid you are.
You know what ASSUME stands for?
Make an ASS out of U and ME.
There it is! Thought that would elicit the superiority complex in you. Really, can you not speak on the topic without personal attacks and I really do not understand the comment “..if you live long enough”?? Let’s go to the cause of your vitriol. I believe it was in response to my comment that we spend more on welfare payments for age pension than the indigenous funding that was being criticised? That is a fact. I therefore really do not understand your point of argument in fact. I am interested to know why this FACT has driven you to virtual violence? It is that you naturally lean to bullying? I was not attacking those who receive age pensions - read the follow-on and try to comprehend.

Change is a constant in life, and when it comes to a beloved airline like Qantas, even the slightest shift in appearance can pique curiosity.

The airline has unveiled a fresh look that goes beyond mere aesthetics; it pays homage to a rich cultural heritage.

Qantas is set to introduce a new look to its fleet with the upcoming launch of its first A220 aircraft.

Departing from the iconic red kangaroo design, the new QantasLink plane was revealed in Canada, showcasing a vibrant blue and green Indigenous design.

Although the signature kangaroo remains, it's now presented in white against the captivating backdrop.

View attachment 34852
The QantasLink A220 aircraft is set to part ways with its iconic flying red kangaroo logo, making way for a new aesthetic featuring a blue and green Indigenous design. Image source: Facebook/Airline Secrets Exposed

The aircraft, adorned with the artwork of Pitjantjatjara artist Maringka Baker, is named after the Indigenous creation story ‘Minyma Kutjara Tjukurpa – The Two Sisters’.

The new A220 aircraft is scheduled to operate initially between Melbourne and Canberra.

The intricate Indigenous design, applied over two weeks by a team of around 100 painters using 130 stencils, features over 20,000 dots, making it Airbus' most complex livery for this aircraft type.

It is the sixth addition to Qantas’ Flying Art Series, a tradition dating back to 1994. This underscores the airline's strong commitment to featuring Indigenous art.

The A220 is also the first of 29 to replace QantasLink's Boeing 717s, offering improved fuel efficiency, fewer emissions, and reduced noise levels.

It is also the 12th new aircraft delivered to the airline group in the last year, comprising eight Airbus A321LR planes for Jetstar and three Boeing 787 Dreamliners for Qantas International.

Balarinji, collaborating with First Nations artists, played a pivotal role in designing the liveries for Qantas' Flying Art Series.

View attachment 34853
The QantasLink A220 designed by Indigenous Australian agency Balarinji, will soon fly between Melbourne and Canberra, joining the fleet later this year. Image source: Facebook/Airline Secrets Exposed

Qantas Group CEO Vanessa Hudson expressed excitement about the potential impact of the new aircraft on domestic travel.

‘These aircraft have the potential to change how our customers travel across the country, with the ability to connect any two cities or towns in Australia,’ said Ms Hudson.

‘That means faster and more convenient travel for business trips and exciting new possibilities for holiday travel.’

‘A whole new fleet type also means a lot of opportunities for our people to operate and look after these aircraft.’

With the ability to connect various cities and towns across Australia, these A220s are hailed as game-changers, offering faster and more convenient travel options for both business and leisure.

As the A220 is ferried to Australia later this year, anticipation builds for its entry into service in early 2024, marking a significant milestone for Qantas' evolving fleet.
Key Takeaways

• Qantas has launched its new look for its first A220 aircraft, replacing the iconic flying red kangaroo design with a blue and green Indigenous design.
  • The aircraft artwork is by Pitjantjatjara artist Maringka Baker and is named after an Indigenous story of creation: ‘Minyma Kutjara Tjukurpa’. This is Qantas' sixth aircraft that joins their Flying Art Series.
  • The A220 uses significantly less fuel, generates fewer emissions and is quieter than the older aircraft it will replace.
  • This new aircraft is the first of 29 A220s that will eventually replace QantasLink's Boeing 717s. It has been referred to as a 'game-changer' for domestic travel by Qantas Group CEO Vanessa Hudson.
Members, how do you like this new look for Qantas A220 aircraft? Share your views in the comments below!
I'd prefer to travel by high-speed or fast railways. Less damage CO2 damage to the atmosphere, more leg-room and greater comfort. But this is Australia, run by stupids. Imagine if one could travel by railways from Hobart , via a roll-on-roll-off train ferry to Melbourne and then to any major city in Oz. All it takes is standardisation of gauges and even the Poms managed that in Pomgolia back in the 1800s. I am sure that the Chinese could build high-speed railways for us in a few years with their intelligence, engineering and railway-building technology. They might even arrange to put coloured spots on the trains..........

Last edited:
I'd prefer to travel by high-speed or fast railways. Less damage CO2 damage to the atmosphere, more leg-room and greater comfort. But this is Australia, run by stupids. Imagine if one could travel by railways from Hobart , via a roll-on-roll-off train ferry to Melbourne and then to any major city in Oz. All it takes is standardisation of gauges and even the Poms managed that in Pomgolia back in the 1800s. I am sure that the Chinese could build high-speed railways for us in a few years with their intelligence, engineering and railway-building technology. They might even arrange to put coloured spots on the trains..........
Apply for the job! haha