Sydney real estate agent suspended after making ‘vicious’ remarks about renters

Good real estate agents should be masters of communication and social interaction. After all, it’s their job to represent their clients’ properties, negotiate a good deal for both buyer and seller and close the sale with a smile on their faces.

And as professionals, many expect them to act appropriately both in real life and online. After all, it’s part of the service and the trust placed in them by the public.

But despite these expectations, it seems there's one real estate agent who's crossed a line recently and angered many renters online.

According to reports, a young Sydney-based real estate agent by the name of Abhnit Kumar has been suspended following an internal investigation conducted by the company he works for, Ray White Macarthur Group.

This comes after he made questionable comments online, sparking a major backlash from social media users.

rent1.jpg
The real estate agent has been suspended. Credit: PhotoMIX Company/Pexels

It all began when Mr Kumar shared the recent sale of a $958,000 house on his professional Facebook page.

In the post, the realtor claimed that ‘the market doesn’t dictate your home’s price, the agent does’.

‘If you’re thinking about selling, don’t leave money on the table. Give me a call, and let’s discuss strategy,’ he continued.

This statement caught the attention of social media users, one of whom asked if the market didn't contribute to a property's price, then ‘why are you artificially inflating house prices during a period of high inflation?’

To that, Mr Kumar asked, ‘Wouldn’t you like to maximise the profits you can make’ when ‘selling your biggest asset?’

The realtor added: ‘Unless you wouldn’t, then feel free to contact me as I have a buyer for your place.’

rent2.jpg
The online debate started after this post was made. Credit: Facebook

What followed was an exchange between the two that quickly gained the attention of the public online.

In response, the social media user told the real estate agent that his post had not suggested anything like that.

They stated: ‘You said you inflate prices so that the market is overpriced. Your words, not mine. I know when I’m in the market for a house, I will be staying well away from your agency.’

The commenter went on to add: ‘It’s no wonder real estate agents are one of the least trusted professions. But you do, you pal!’

But the agent fired back.

He said: ‘Hey buddy, you clearly must be a renter. Please stay away from my agency, as we would not like to deal with people like you.’

While Mr Kumar deleted this questionable comment later on, it still met with considerable scrutiny online. The damage had already been done.

The previous commenter replied by asking how the agent came to that conclusion and said it was ‘interesting’ that he didn’t want ‘renters’ coming to their agency.

‘Great business acumen,’ they wrote.

In response to the backlash, Mr Kumar clarified that he ‘didn’t mean renters’.

‘I mean people who don’t see value in getting the best price for their asset. Clearly, you guys took it the wrong way,’ he claimed.

The commenter then responded that, ‘at minimum’, they would like an agent who ‘treats everyone fairly and doesn’t discriminate.

‘I don’t want an agent who gets called out on their mistakes and turns it onto others for “taking it the wrong way”. Be better, do better. You’re meant to make people’s dreams of owning a home come true,’ they explained.

Mr Kumar responded that the commenter was ‘100 per cent right’ and acknowledged his mistake.

‘I am in the wrong. I should have handled the situation better. It was uncalled for [by] my comments,’ he added.

However, screenshots of the exchange were sent to Mr Kumar’s employer, branding the real estate agent’s behaviour as ‘disgusting’ and asking the company to confirm whether the incident and Mr Kumar’s views reflected its morals.

Ray White Macarthur Group issued a statement of apology immediately.

‘We pride ourselves on customer service. We respect and value each and every one of our tenants,’ they said.

The company added: ‘The views of Abhnit Kumar do not align with the values of our group. As a result, we’ve made the business decision to suspend his employment immediately while we conduct an internal investigation.’

‘We apologise to our current employees as well as any members within our community if these views have offended [you].’

In a statement to reporters, Mr Kumar admitted he was ‘deeply sorry’ for the trouble and ‘upset’ he caused.

‘It was a total error of judgement on my part, and I promise it will never happen again. I am very remorseful for my comments,’ he claimed.

It also appears that Mr Kumar’s official social media page has been deleted, and his profile has also been removed from the company website.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney real estate agent has been suspended after an internal investigation was launched following his questionable comments online.
  • Abhnit Kumar from Ray White Macarthur Group shared an advertisement of a property he sold, with controversial comments about inflating house prices.
  • The agent's comments quickly received backlash from social media users.
  • Ray White Macarthur Group released a statement affirming that the views of Abhnit Kumar do not align with the values of their group.
This isn’t the first time social media users were left ‘horrified’ by the conduct of some real estate agents. In a previous report, an Aussie woman shared how her mum was approached by a real estate agent who asked if she was interested in selling her home.

Her mum declined, citing the recent passing of her husband. But in just a few hours, her mum received a bouquet sent by the real estate agent. Many branded this as ‘predatory’ behaviour, with one calling it ‘super weird’. You can read the rest of the story here.

Have you ever had a bad experience with a real estate agent? Share your experience in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Sponsored
Sounds like Abhnit Kumar is an ex employee of Ray White. Ray White real estate won't put up with that nonsense who blames the public for "taking it the wrong way".

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I do not like real estate agents at all.

This guy is not remorseful for what he said. Rather that he got caught out and now appears to have lost his job.

There are some shockers out there.

I had a property I had cleaned up from Salvation Jane and it was ready to be planted with grasses. I didn't get to sow as my health required me to sell up. However the agent had been telling prospective buyers that I had over used the land and thus wasn't viable for stock. He had it on the market for 1 1/2 years forcing me to sell where I had just bought moved into as I couldn't afford both. He also let renters in and let them have goats who ate all of the landscaping when their contract was for house section only not the acreage which I still had rights to if I chose to use the paddocks. Their rent didn't include the land. Then to top it off I was going months without rent money coming in. I put it in someone else's hands and it was sold within a few months, But I also had to sell the place I was in. I had moved again back to the city with a job and got a call from FBI reporting agent had stolen the rent money and also another woman's for 9 months for both of us. He was put in jail and I got my money. But I lost tens of 1000s because of what he had done.

More recently- a Ray White manager kept badgering me to put a deposit on a place and even when I said I had police with me in my house and couldn't talk now, for something quite serious and she refused to stop talking. I hung up on her. She rang back twice. I offered her to speak to major crimes and she backed down. Mind this was 9:30PM!

Good real estate agents should be masters of communication and social interaction. After all, it’s their job to represent their clients’ properties, negotiate a good deal for both buyer and seller and close the sale with a smile on their faces.

And as professionals, many expect them to act appropriately both in real life and online. After all, it’s part of the service and the trust placed in them by the public.

But despite these expectations, it seems there's one real estate agent who's crossed a line recently and angered many renters online.

According to reports, a young Sydney-based real estate agent by the name of Abhnit Kumar has been suspended following an internal investigation conducted by the company he works for, Ray White Macarthur Group.

This comes after he made questionable comments online, sparking a major backlash from social media users.

View attachment 20007

It all began when Mr Kumar shared the recent sale of a $958,000 house on his professional Facebook page.

In the post, the realtor claimed that ‘the market doesn’t dictate your home’s price, the agent does’.

‘If you’re thinking about selling, don’t leave money on the table. Give me a call, and let’s discuss strategy,’ he continued.

This statement caught the attention of social media users, one of whom asked if the market didn't contribute to a property's price, then ‘why are you artificially inflating house prices during a period of high inflation?’

To that, Mr Kumar asked, ‘Wouldn’t you like to maximise the profits you can make’ when ‘selling your biggest asset?’

The realtor added: ‘Unless you wouldn’t, then feel free to contact me as I have a buyer for your place.’

View attachment 20008

What followed was an exchange between the two that quickly gained the attention of the public online.

In response, the social media user told the real estate agent that his post had not suggested anything like that.

They stated: ‘You said you inflate prices so that the market is overpriced. Your words, not mine. I know when I’m in the market for a house, I will be staying well away from your agency.’

The commenter went on to add: ‘It’s no wonder real estate agents are one of the least trusted professions. But you do, you pal!’

He said: ‘Hey buddy, you clearly must be a renter. Please stay away from my agency, as we would not like to deal with people like you.’

While Mr Kumar deleted this questionable comment later on, it still met with considerable scrutiny online. The damage had already been done.

The previous commenter replied by asking how the agent came to that conclusion and said it was ‘interesting’ that he didn’t want ‘renters’ coming to their agency.

‘I mean people who don’t see value in getting the best price for their asset. Clearly, you guys took it the wrong way,’ he claimed.

The commenter then responded that, ‘at minimum’, they would like an agent who ‘treats everyone fairly and doesn’t discriminate.

‘I don’t want an agent who gets called out on their mistakes and turns it onto others for “taking it the wrong way”. Be better, do better. You’re meant to make people’s dreams of owning a home come true,’ they explained.

Mr Kumar responded that the commenter was ‘100 per cent right’ and acknowledged his mistake.

‘I am in the wrong. I should have handled the situation better. It was uncalled for [by] my comments,’ he added.

However, screenshots of the exchange were sent to Mr Kumar’s employer, branding the real estate agent’s behaviour as ‘disgusting’ and asking the company to confirm whether the incident and Mr Kumar’s views reflected its morals.

‘We pride ourselves on customer service. We respect and value each and every one of our tenants,’ they said.

The company added: ‘The views of Abhnit Kumar do not align with the values of our group. As a result, we’ve made the business decision to suspend his employment immediately while we conduct an internal investigation.’

‘We apologise to our current employees as well as any members within our community if these views have offended [you].’

In a statement to reporters, Mr Kumar admitted he was ‘deeply sorry’ for the trouble and ‘upset’ he caused.

‘It was a total error of judgement on my part, and I promise it will never happen again. I am very remorseful for my comments,’ he claimed.

It also appears that Mr Kumar’s official social media page has been deleted, and his profile has also been removed from the company website.
Key Takeaways

• A Sydney real estate agent has been suspended after an internal investigation was launched following his questionable comments online.
  • Abhnit Kumar from Ray White Macarthur Group shared an advertisement of a property he sold, with controversial comments about inflating house prices.
  • Ray White Macarthur Group released a statement affirming that the views of Abhnit Kumar do not align with the values of their group.
This isn’t the first time social media users were left ‘horrified’ by the conduct of some real estate agents. In a previous report, an Aussie woman shared how her mum was approached by a real estate agent who asked if she was interested in selling her home.

Her mum declined, citing the recent passing of her husband. But in just a few hours, her mum received a bouquet sent by the real estate agent. Many branded this as ‘predatory’ behaviour, with one calling it ‘super weird’. You can read the rest of the story here.

Have you ever had a bad experience with a real estate agent? Share your experience in the comments below!
Who knows.... he may be right. The agents get paid a commission as a % of the sale price so it is in their interests to sell for the highest price,

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 20007

View attachment 20008

Key Takeaways

A good agent should be one of your essential network members. They can look after your most important assets, alert you to danger, and inform you of opportunities. I have no time for outrage mostly from people who would be better off directing their thought energy to positive self advancement. As for this agent, he's done nothing wrong but agencies need to pretend to be nice. My agent can rub people the wrong way. I value that, because he's paid to look after me, not serve up feel-good time-wasting nonsense.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 20007

View attachment 20008

Key Takeaways

I lived in an old house in Perth, the floor did not meet the wall and the carpet had been tacked to the wall. When it was very windy the carpet would flutter across the floor, The agent was told of a multitude of problems but would do nothing. The electric stove in the kitchen rusted out and eventually only one hot plate worked. There were 4 young people living there so the agent gave a camping 2 hot plate and a gas bottle. When we left we nailed and screwed timber and tin across the wall where the wall didnt meet the floor, and screwed timber across the door from the inside that would not stay shut. The door did not have a lock that worked, so we fixed it for the agent......and laughed all the way down the street.

Reactions: Ezzy
A good agent should be one of your essential network members. They can look after your most important assets, alert you to danger, and inform you of opportunities. I have no time for outrage mostly from people who would be better off directing their thought energy to positive self advancement. As for this agent, he's done nothing wrong but agencies need to pretend to be nice. My agent can rub people the wrong way. I value that, because he's paid to look after me, not serve up feel-good time-wasting nonsense.
Not all owners do repairs when they are needed. It often takes months .....or never to get repairs done.

Wow. I bet his own parents rented before they purchased their first home. Plus, I bet they received Public Housing as well for a long time.

He will probably later regret he mouthed these words as unlikely anyone will hire him again. I think a new career is o the cards for this bloke and not one to his liking.

To date, according to the article, he has only been suspended while the company conducts an internal inquiry, but would appear to be the wrong person for this type of work.

I believe Mr Kumar has stated what most people already suspected. If the price is sometimes inflated, is it also deflated for a quick sale by the agent? An agent can be very persuasive, giving sellers an undervaluation & convince them this is the best valuation given certain factors including other homes in the area on the market etc.