Sydney bus driver allegedly humiliates senior passenger, reporter sounds alarm

Ageism is an issue that affects so many of our beloved seniors, and it's so disheartening to see the negative and unfair discrimination they get when going about their daily routines.

Sadly, an example of this has been brought to light–this time with a Sydney bus driver allegedly harassing and humiliating a senior passenger.

SDC Images (3).png
A Sydney bus driver allegedly harassed and humiliated a senior passenger. Image source: Flickr / John Cowper.

Nine News Chief Court Reporter, Tiffiny Genders, called out the driver of Sydney's 333 eastern suburbs bus service whose alleged ‘vile’ behaviour she witnessed first-hand.

'Vile behaviour by a bus driver on 333 from Bondi to Bondi Junction this morning,' Genders said on social media.

'Humiliating an elderly passenger... all because she misunderstood an instruction.'

compressed-Screenshot_2.jpeg
Image Credit: X/@tiffgenders

She also revealed on a radio show just how hurtful the driver's words were.

'He asked her if she had her hearing aids in, and she was in complete shock, [she] asked, “Beg your pardon, what did you just say?”’ She recalled.

'Then he said, “Have you not taken your medication today?”’ Then the driver allegedly called the woman a 'f****ng b***h'.

The passenger was 'left absolutely furious' by the attack, according to Genders.

Transport NSW and the Bus Operator Transdev John Holland Buses confirmed they are investigating the incident.

A spokesperson from Transport NSW said: 'Transport for NSW has requested a formal response from the operator following a review of CCTV and an interview with the driver.'

'Bus drivers should be polite and respectful to passengers at all times.'

'Transport for NSW expects operators to thoroughly train bus drivers to communicate with passengers in an appropriate way, especially for safety-related matters.'

On the other hand, Transdev John Holland Buses spokesperson issued a statement and said: 'Transdev John Holland Buses acknowledges that there was a verbal incident on the 333 bus route yesterday between a bus operator and a female passenger.'

'A full investigation is taking place, which will include discussions with the bus operator.'

'At Transdev John Holland Buses, we take driver behaviour very seriously and apologise to any passengers affected.'

In a similar instance, an ALDI shopper also took to social media to report an alleged ‘bullying incident’ involving a checkout cashier and a senior customer. According to the shopper, the cashier ‘behaved disgracefully’ towards the shopper after the senior could not afford to pay the grocery bill. You can read more on this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Reporter Tiffiny Genders witnessed a Sydney 333 bus driver verbally abuse and humiliate a senior female passenger.
  • Genders shared the incident on radio and social media, describing the bus driver's behaviour as 'vile'.
  • The Transport NSW spokesperson confirmed that they are investigating the incident, assuring that bus drivers should always be polite and respectful to passengers.
  • Transdev John Holland Buses, the operator of the bus, also acknowledged the incident and assured that a full investigation is in progress, apologising to any affected passengers.
Share this article with your friends and family to spread the message that ageism has no place in society. Together, let’s help create a kinder and more respectful environment for everyone, regardless of age.

Have you or anyone you know experienced a similar situation? Share with us your stories in the comments below—we’d love to read them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I travel on the bus route #600 to Castle Hill and I never met rude driver on this route, when driver see me running to catch a bus the driver always waited for me and I often see drivers get out of seat and helping old person with walking frame on to the bus and make sure the person is seated before he stars the bus.
Not all drivers are same.

sounds like she didn't have them in if she need to ask what he had said.
So what if she didn’t have her hearing aids in and had to ask him what he’d said, or even if he had had a bad start to his day. Those retorts from him should be the end of his job, and nothing less.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Being a bus driver for eight years it is easy to complain about our behaviour but when you have passengers get on your bus day after day and make no attempt to tap on or off it really makes you angry. You also have passengers who apparently cannot speak English when you talk to them but if you insult them there English is perfect. Life is a two way street remember that.
Making you ‘angry’ as you say when daily irritations get in the way - the bus driver in question should learn to ‘bite his tongue’ at least when on the job. Unfortunately the only reprimand from his employer should now be DISMISSAL. His attitude was totally unacceptable be it to an elderly person or any other passenger.

R
Ageism is an issue that affects so many of our beloved seniors, and it's so disheartening to see the negative and unfair discrimination they get when going about their daily routines.

Sadly, an example of this has been brought to light–this time with a Sydney bus driver allegedly harassing and humiliating a senior passenger.

View attachment 28764
A Sydney bus driver allegedly harassed and humiliated a senior passenger. Image source: Flickr / John Cowper.

Nine News Chief Court Reporter, Tiffiny Genders, called out the driver of Sydney's 333 eastern suburbs bus service whose alleged ‘vile’ behaviour she witnessed first-hand.

'Vile behaviour by a bus driver on 333 from Bondi to Bondi Junction this morning,' Genders said on social media.

'Humiliating an elderly passenger... all because she misunderstood an instruction.'

View attachment 28783
Image Credit: X/@tiffgenders

She also revealed on a radio show just how hurtful the driver's words were.

'He asked her if she had her hearing aids in, and she was in complete shock, [she] asked, “Beg your pardon, what did you just say?”’ She recalled.

'Then he said, “Have you not taken your medication today?”’ Then the driver allegedly called the woman a 'f****ng b***h'.

The passenger was 'left absolutely furious' by the attack, according to Genders.

Transport NSW and the Bus Operator Transdev John Holland Buses confirmed they are investigating the incident.

A spokesperson from Transport NSW said: 'Transport for NSW has requested a formal response from the operator following a review of CCTV and an interview with the driver.'

'Bus drivers should be polite and respectful to passengers at all times.'

'Transport for NSW expects operators to thoroughly train bus drivers to communicate with passengers in an appropriate way, especially for safety-related matters.'

On the other hand, Transdev John Holland Buses spokesperson issued a statement and said: 'Transdev John Holland Buses acknowledges that there was a verbal incident on the 333 bus route yesterday between a bus operator and a female passenger.'

'A full investigation is taking place, which will include discussions with the bus operator.'

'At Transdev John Holland Buses, we take driver behaviour very seriously and apologise to any passengers affected.'

In a similar instance, an ALDI shopper also took to social media to report an alleged ‘bullying incident’ involving a checkout cashier and a senior customer. According to the shopper, the cashier ‘behaved disgracefully’ towards the shopper after the senior could not afford to pay the grocery bill. You can read more on this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Reporter Tiffiny Genders witnessed a Sydney 333 bus driver verbally abuse and humiliate a senior female passenger.
  • Genders shared the incident on radio and social media, describing the bus driver's behaviour as 'vile'.
  • The Transport NSW spokesperson confirmed that they are investigating the incident, assuring that bus drivers should always be polite and respectful to passengers.
  • Transdev John Holland Buses, the operator of the bus, also acknowledged the incident and assured that a full investigation is in progress, apologising to any affected passengers.
Share this article with your friends and family to spread the message that ageism has no place in society. Together, let’s help create a kinder and more respectful environment for everyone, regardless of age.

Have you or anyone you know experienced a similar situation? Share with us your stories in the comments below—we’d love to read them.
RESPECT? Does anyone know what that means? People these days don't know what respect is!

I have hearing aids but I also have severe Tinnitus and often have to have people speak clearly and repeat luckily once I tell people about the Tinnitus they are fine I have never been mistreated YET
I get tinnitus it’s so depressing the ringing in the ear so bad some days drives me nuts. Only happens when I get a cold or bad hay fever like now every damn spring. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Doc doesn’t know why no cure apparantely play loud music they say. 🙀

I think the days are gone when bus drivers smile and say hello, maybe it's because they are nolonger taking your fare.

I still however say thankyou driver as I'm getting off the bus.

I have to say 99 % of drivers of the private buses in my area are Asians no I'm not being racist just stating a fact. I never see them smile or help anyone. They drive reckless and even the other day at Roselands shops the bus actually came up on the footpath as it pulled into the curb

• Wow
Reactions: NotNats
sounds like she didn't have them in if she need to ask what he had said.
I wear double hearing aids and still I find it very hard to hear what is being said to me, then add in all the part English dialect, people not facing me, or mumble when they talk to me, I can fully understand why sometimes they may lose their control and become rude. But, in saying that, it doesn't give them the right to be rude towards people or me.

Reactions: Suzanne rose