Sydney’s Blue Mountain residents are furious—what shocking note has them divided?

The beautiful Blue Mountains, located just outside of Sydney, are one of many places known for their peaceful lifestyle and slow-paced environment.

So when something so unexpected and controversial happens in such a tranquil place, it's bound to turn heads and cause quite a stir.

Recently, this neighbourhood was shocked when an angry handwritten note from a nearby resident made its rounds, condemning the consistent excessive barking from a local dog.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 2.23.50 PM.png
A Blue Mountain resident expresses their anger towards their neighbour in a handwritten note. Credit: Facebook

The stirring note, sent to the dog owner, not-so-passively explained how inconsiderate and unthoughtful their dog's barking had become for other locals.

‘We do not understand how uncaring and inconsiderate you can be to the other residents who live around you,' an anonymous sender wrote.

'There are many neighbours who have already made complaints to the council regarding the continual endless hours of barking that they experience/suffer due to your dog.'

The sender also noted that this problem had been going on for years—so long, perhaps, that they hinted at reaching their final straw.

'We have had enough! If we have to endure one more day of this, we will be taking legal action against you.'

But while one would think the recipient would back down in shame, they didn’t.

Outraged, she took to their community Facebook page to fire back.

'We've received your intriguing letters about our dog's “epic barking sessions”.’

‘It's quite a mystery since you've chosen to remain in the shadows… And continue to leave out [which] neighbour you're referring to if you have the b**** to threaten my mother next time have the b**** and knock on the door.'

‘And just so you know, the council already gave us a clean bill of health on the noise front. But kudos on your investigative prowess, but it seems you may need to reevaluate your leads.'

Unsurprisingly, the community was split in two, debating the controversial message.

Some sympathised with the neighbour, noting that it would be difficult to work with never-ending noise disturbance.

'Incessant dog barking is enough to do anyone's head in,' one local said.

Others, however, sided with the dog owner and pointed out the questionable, anonymous nature of the note that started the issue.

A second local suggested, 'If you want to resolve the problem, leave your name and contact details and maybe consider a more consolatory tone in your notes.’

compressed-shutterstock_503188381.jpeg
The Blue Mountain community is divided over one resident’s pet dog who barks throughout the night. Credit: Shutterstock

As the debate quickly escalated, members of the Facebook page even went as far as to suggest a drastic and cheeky solution, 'Should [have] got a cat.'

The Blue Mountains Council advises that it's ultimately pet owners' responsibility to ensure their animals don't cause too much disruption for neighbours. It also suggests working through the problem one-on-one with neighbours as many just may not realise they're causing a disturbance.

Key Takeaways

• A Blue Mountains woman received a handwritten note from an anonymous neighbour, complaining about her dog's constant barking.
  • The neighbour threatened legal action if the barking continued and claimed many neighbours had already complained to the council.
  • The dog owner responded online in a scathing post, stating the local council had given them a clean bill of health concerning the noise and questioned why the neighbour had chosen to remain anonymous.
  • The note and dog owner's response sparked a furious debate, with differing opinions on noise nuisance and the correct way to deal with neighbourly disputes.

Should the dog's owner double down, or are they justified in their position? Or what would you have done if you were in the neighbour’s position? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The beautiful Blue Mountains, located just outside of Sydney, are one of many places known for their peaceful lifestyle and slow-paced environment.

So when something so unexpected and controversial happens in such a tranquil place, it's bound to turn heads and cause quite a stir.

Recently, this neighbourhood was shocked when an angry handwritten note from a nearby resident made its rounds, condemning the consistent excessive barking from a local dog.

View attachment 29819
A Blue Mountain resident expresses their anger towards their neighbour in a handwritten note. Credit: Facebook

The stirring note, sent to the dog owner, not-so-passively explained how inconsiderate and unthoughtful their dog's barking had become for other locals.

‘We do not understand how uncaring and inconsiderate you can be to the other residents who live around you,' an anonymous sender wrote.

'There are many neighbours who have already made complaints to the council regarding the continual endless hours of barking that they experience/suffer due to your dog.'

The sender also noted that this problem had been going on for years—so long, perhaps, that they hinted at reaching their final straw.

'We have had enough! If we have to endure one more day of this, we will be taking legal action against you.'

'We've received your intriguing letters about our dog's “epic barking sessions”.’

‘It's quite a mystery since you've chosen to remain in the shadows… And continue to leave out [which] neighbour you're referring to if you have the b**** to threaten my mother next time have the b**** and knock on the door.'

‘And just so you know, the council already gave us a clean bill of health on the noise front. But kudos on your investigative prowess, but it seems you may need to reevaluate your leads.'

Unsurprisingly, the community was split in two, debating the controversial message.

Some sympathised with the neighbour, noting that it would be difficult to work with never-ending noise disturbance.

Others, however, sided with the dog owner and pointed out the questionable, anonymous nature of the note that started the issue.

A second local suggested, 'If you want to resolve the problem, leave your name and contact details and maybe consider a more consolatory tone in your notes.’

View attachment 29821
The Blue Mountain community is divided over one resident’s pet dog who barks throughout the night. Credit: Shutterstock

As the debate quickly escalated, members of the Facebook page even went as far as to suggest a drastic and cheeky solution, 'Should [have] got a cat.'

The Blue Mountains Council advises that it's ultimately pet owners' responsibility to ensure their animals don't cause too much disruption for neighbours. It also suggests working through the problem one-on-one with neighbours as many just may not realise they're causing a disturbance.

Key Takeaways

• A Blue Mountains woman received a handwritten note from an anonymous neighbour, complaining about her dog's constant barking.
  • The neighbour threatened legal action if the barking continued and claimed many neighbours had already complained to the council.
  • The dog owner responded online in a scathing post, stating the local council had given them a clean bill of health concerning the noise and questioned why the neighbour had chosen to remain anonymous.
  • The note and dog owner's response sparked a furious debate, with differing opinions on noise nuisance and the correct way to deal with neighbourly disputes.

Should the dog's owner double down, or are they justified in their position? Or what would you have done if you were in the neighbour’s position? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Give the dog a bone👍

View attachment 29819

View attachment 29821

Key Takeaways

dogs don't bark for no reason! find out WHY!

I was once accosted by an angry neighbour in the carpark of our townhouse complex. She was ranting and raving about my dog's incessant barking. Knowing that my dog rarely barked at all, and then only for very good reason, I told her that she was wrong. I was treated to a stream of abuse, and then across the carpark came the sound of frantic barking. "See, there it goes now" she yelled. I replied that it wasn't my dog, but she insisted until I asked if she had ever known a ventriloquist dog before, and pointed behind her to my dog, quietly sitting in my car wondering why I wasn't getting in too.

View attachment 29819

View attachment 29821

Key Takeaways

there is nothing worse than a barking dog. been there done that, now we have peace. i have always wondered does the whistle work?

Other people’s dogs can be very annoying, especially if they are constantly barking. Those small yappy dogs are by far the worse, my sister has 3 and they are most annoying. We have trouble putting up with the noise when we visit, I don’t know how she puts up with it constantly. Now she lives in a shed on a property she is far enough away to not annoy anyone except visitors. I have suggested a trip to the vet for a forever cure with a needle but she was quite annoyed with me. We are lucky to not live on top of any neighbours but sometimes their barking dogs annoy us. We just tell them whenever they bark excessively so they can make sure the dog is ok and deal with the problem.

Reactions: Bridgit
dogs don't bark for no reason! find out WHY!
It's usually separation anxiety, especially if the owner works all day.
They need to make alternative arrangements for their dog e.g.
leave it with a family member, friend or doggy day care.
I don't think writing an agro message achieved anything, except the equally agro response they got. Could have been handled better.
However it is equally irresponsible of the dog owners to expect people to put up with their barking dog. The only option, if the owners fo nothing about it is to contact the local council and leave the problem up to the ranger.
They will follow up, do due diligence and then advise the owners of the options they have, namely those I mentioned above, otherwise the dog will be confiscated.

Incessantly barking dogs are a nuisance. I have had the misfortune of a noisy Dachshund living next door. His house and yard ran parallell to mine and I could not go into any room of my home that was closest to the property where that annoying beast lived, without being barked at. If I went outside the beast barked. I used to go to the gate and talk to him, but it made no difference. In the beginning I said to the neighbour that I expected that once the dog got to know me, he would stop barking. She just laughed and said that he would not.

I would have loved to throttle that little beast and I was overjoyed whe it died!

My other neighbour got a dog that used to bark when I went outside, but that was just to tell me that he wanted me to go over to their property to say hello to him. Then he was happy. Apparently I was his favourite human apart from his owners and I was sad when he died.

They now have two horrid chihuahas that bark every time I go into my yard and will not stop even if I go to say hello to them. I hate those horrible little beasts.

It's usually separation anxiety, especially if the owner works all day.
They need to make alternative arrangements for their dog e.g.
leave it with a family member, friend or doggy day care.
I don't think writing an agro message achieved anything, except the equally agro response they got. Could have been handled better.
However it is equally irresponsible of the dog owners to expect people to put up with their barking dog. The only option, if the owners fo nothing about it is to contact the local council and leave the problem up to the ranger.
They will follow up, do due diligence and then advise the owners of the options they have, namely those I mentioned above, otherwise the dog will be confiscated.
Councils don’t confiscate dogs for barking only warn the owner or fine them if it doesn’t stop. Look up council dog laws no mention of confiscation only dangerous dogs get confiscated if proven dangerous.😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 29819

View attachment 29821

Key Takeaways

I find it amazing how many dog owner's don't hear their dogs barking even when they are right near them. It's the same with b$%%$#y roosters. It takes time but the council eventually removed the crowing rooster and after "talking" to the owners of the dogs they finally shut them up.

View attachment 29819

View attachment 29821

Key Takeaways

How can the Council give this resident a clean. bill of health - Its time neighbours not only kept a diary but maybe create a video of the offending animal. Not good enough for the Council to say work it out between yourselves. Get together and make Council obey the noise rule and hopefully you will get some peace.