Surging aged care prices create unexpected living costs—find out why!

As we navigate the golden years of our lives, the comfort and care we receive should be the highest priority.

However, the cost of such care is set to rise sharply, leaving many Australian seniors and their families bracing for impact.

The federal government is about to reveal a new plan to see older Australians dig deeper into their pockets to cover aged care costs.

The upcoming changes are part of a new Aged Care Act, one of the key recommendations from the 2021 Royal Commission into the sector.

While the commission suggested that a new aged care levy funded by taxpayers could help cover costs, the government has decided to shift more financial responsibility onto the users of these services instead.

1724285007887.png
Australia unveiled new aged care fee reforms after talks with the Coalition. Credit: Shutterstock

This decision comes after extensive negotiations with the Coalition, which have been described as 'detailed' and 'constructive.'

Both parties agree that the financial sustainability of aged care services is a pressing issue, especially with the baby boomer generation now reaching the age where they require more care and the smaller generations that follow them unable to shoulder the tax burden.

Aged Care Minister Anika Wells is spearheading the reform to address the financial sustainability of residential and in-home care.

The government's task force has argued that it needs to be more fair and sustainable for taxpayers to continue footing such a large portion of the bill.

As a result, the task force has proposed a system where users contribute more to their care.

This could mean that while the government would still cover residential care costs, users would pay more for accommodation, food, and other services.

High-means residents might see an additional fee, and the option to pay for accommodation via a lump-sum deposit could be phased out in favour of a daily fee.

In-home care could shift to a fee-for-service model where fees are not compulsory, and most users pay nothing.

Under this model, the government would cover care costs, but users would be responsible for other associated costs.

The proposed fee structure is one of the sweeping changes under the new Aged Care Act.

This act aims to replace the current complex and overlapping laws with a single, rights-based law that governs eligibility, funding, quality, and safety regulation.

However, the simplification process has been challenging.

The sector has expressed concerns about the new law's enforceability, fearing that vague standards could lead to unmet expectations, especially in regional areas with limited care options.

The government has a tight timeline to address these concerns and implement the new act by July next year.

In other news, wealthy seniors in Australia could face higher costs for aged care following recommendations from a government task force.

This change is intended to lessen the burden on taxpayers as aged care expenses are projected to rise substantially over the next ten years. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government is preparing to reveal reforms to aged care fees and regulations following negotiations with the Coalition.
  • The new reforms will see aged care residents pay more, with user contributions favoured over a new taxpayer-funded aged care levy.
  • Legislation for a new Aged Care Act is intended to be passed before commencement next July, addressing financial sustainability in aged care.
  • The sector has expressed concerns about enforcing standards and the financial burden on users, with criminal penalties for poor providers being ruled out.
How do you feel about the proposed increase in user contributions for aged care? What steps are you taking to prepare for these changes? Your insights could help fellow members as we all work together to face these challenges head-on.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I had to recently accept the fact that I could no longer manage alone at home even with two hours of assistance a week from the Government, so reluctantly moved into a nursing home. I'm fortunate now to have a private room and bathroom, and the meals that are prepared are quite tasty, however I miss the independence I had of being able to move freely around the community. My care takes up my entire single Centrelink Aged Pension, I don't know what will happen if costs rise!
They'll take the rise in the pension we just got. Well think we got. I haven't got mine yet.
Time we all removed our intercontinental pants and pissed and shat in public. Jail seems a much better option than being tormented by the current aged-couldn't-care-less system!
Just don't know when to give up freedom and go to jail 🤔

Reactions: Ezzy
The SCALES OF JUSTICE as seen in the Court System are always balanced & every person receives a fair hearing. An aged person does not. The scales are always unbalanced & not in our favour.

The younger generations today have so much to be thankful for. If they cannot live comfortably on the wage they receive with all the extras we didn't receive they are surely spending their income on unnecessary comforts or entertainment. As previously stated by members, we had no Maternity Leave or Allowance, First Home Buyers Grant as it is (only $1,500 if a deposit was saved in 3 years, save that amount in less time & you receive less grant). Our first home, a HomesWest weatherboard home was bought with part of the deposit included in the home Loan.

Every employee has Superannuation which the employer & Federal Government support very well. I had no Superannuation when forced to retire @ age 47 due to injuries from my work & mental health problems with children still at home. Life has been an uphill struggle but in 25 years with the assistance of a Worker's Compensation payout we have managed to pay off a home. This was on-top of raising a family on one wage because my wife stayed at home to mind the children.

Isn't life supposed to get easier as we age? Apparently not! The hill we are pushing s..t up just gets steeper & the conditions harder than before. The people who built this country, went to war & suffered in silence are now has been, washed up & thrown onto the scrap heaps by the very government who allowed all this to happen. Lest we forget doesn't apply to old age. Instead it is F U. Time the government gave us a fair go!!!

• Sad
Reactions: BeautifulMousey
As far as the new Aged Care Act goes -- why don't that add Dementia and Alzeimers to the "Dying with Dignity" act. That will open many place in Age care homes.
Yes, I agree with the posts - do nothing all your life then the government will look after you, but work hard and save then the government will bleed you dry in your old age AND not only that - they will bleed your family dry as well.

We did and now not eligible for aged in home care. You cannot win.
Same story every time.
The Federal Government have a list of priorities when it comes to spending our money. #1 on the list is sending heaps of $'s overseas, which is not all that wrong but the amount is. Politicians wages & their Superannuation are high on their list before we come to other bodies within Australia & agencies who are ripping off the system. The supposed unemployed who are playing the system are there too.

When it comes to the people the Government should be looking after, Pensioners, all the money has been 'spent' or 'allocated'. We are a minority in the system. We ask for assistance with certain tasks because we aren't able to do these ourselves. All we ask for is a fair go & recognition for helping to make this country great.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I have noticed the bi-monthly 3/4 hour Home Care cleaning fee has yet again increased and the service is nowhere as efficient as it once was. I feel I could almost do it myself better, however, to lose this service also would not bode well for my over 85 so far mainly 'independent' status.
I dread the thought of having in-home care unable to walk, or worse removed to a selected by the government nursing 'asylum'.
I spent 'no weight on feet rehab' for 2 months at a very good one in 2017. I was ready to 'escape and live in the bush' after 2 weeks the general situation for just bathroom needs ( and hygiene) , and abysmal food. It was considered a desirable place and looked excellent. On the surface. Lovely flowers ( by others) etc
Hmmm. I wish they were able to employ more well-trained staff, pay them decent salaries that the job deserves and brought up to date as found in Europe and Scandinavia.
Yes, I understand that taxation systems differ too, but so do the services in all areas.
Australia 'emulates' the US and with a higher percentage of people born in different countries emigrating here and more daily, most will require our current services in age as well. No real effort has been implemented that one can see despite a lot of hot air, to raise the costs to the aged as the administrators live their well-padded lives, as usual!! Off to put my head in a paper bag again.

Punish those who were taxed during their working lives for the failures and ineptitude of successive governments AND OPPOSITIONS, who were all complicit in their dereliction of regulatory, administration and delivery responsibilities and duties to the Care of our Aged?
Punish we who HAVE addressed and funded our own responsibilities into our twilight years yet have fallen through the cracks of a broken, dysfunctional, unnavigable MAC system, a deflective and neglectful, dysfunctional unnavigable (apparently to their own “staff”!!!)
assessment process?
Punish those who FUNDED the derelict politicians, the derelict regulators, punish our elders who did NOT shirk their taxation obligations, nor their community responsibilities?
The REAL problem of decades of neglect by successive governments and OPPOSITIONS will not be solved by user pays deflection
of governmental and regulatory responsibilities for those already living with cataclysmic cost of living, homelessness, an unnavigable MAC debacle and an acute lack of awareness by many that MAC even exists.
If a business can conduct frequent performance, fit for purpose, relevance and fiscal audits identifying viability, future proofing challenges and opportunities; why in the HELL can thousands of bureaucrats, “experts”, politicians and regulators NOT??
Nor do they apparently comprehend that the legacy they created for the taxpayers may well be the Hellhole of Aged “Care” they will be flung into with the rest of us in their dotage !?😡
I agree with your rant like my own GrannieCaz...our words are read here, the politicians are impervious to real-life conditions once they are elected, they do not want to recognise the circumstances so many are forced to live despite contributing the same tax whether they had enough to save, have a home or not, same with them...money talks, otherwise all in the same box to shake around for the numbers to be allocated....oh and how many pollies have been admitted to the 'usual' Nursing Homes and conditions?

I have noticed the bi-monthly 3/4 hour Home Care cleaning fee has yet again increased and the service is nowhere as efficient as it once was. I feel I could almost do it myself better, however, to lose this service also would not bode well for my over 85 so far mainly 'independent' status.
I dread the thought of having in-home care unable to walk, or worse removed to a selected by the government nursing 'asylum'.
I spent 'no weight on feet rehab' for 2 months at a very good one in 2017. I was ready to 'escape and live in the bush' after 2 weeks the general situation for just bathroom needs ( and hygiene) , and abysmal food. It was considered a desirable place and looked excellent. On the surface. Lovely flowers ( by others) etc
Hmmm. I wish they were able to employ more well-trained staff, pay them decent salaries that the job deserves and brought up to date as found in Europe and Scandinavia.
Yes, I understand that taxation systems differ too, but so do the services in all areas.
Australia 'emulates' the US and with a higher percentage of people born in different countries emigrating here and more daily, most will require our current services in age as well. No real effort has been implemented that one can see despite a lot of hot air, to raise the costs to the aged as the administrators live their well-padded lives, as usual!! Off to put my head in a paper bag again.
I get cleaning help once a week for 2 hours. Last year was getting home care 5 days a week but the company that was supplying the help decided they weren't supplying the help through my health company,and they only have a limited amount of people doing the home care so left with once a week. Couldn't and can't believe this could happen 😒

Reactions: Ezzy
I get cleaning help once a week for 2 hours. Last year was getting home care 5 days a week but the company that was supplying the help decided they weren't supplying the help through my health company,and they only have a limited amount of people doing the home care so left with once a week. Couldn't and can't believe this could happen 😒
No one wants to do domestic cleaning for subsidised clients (and we can't afford the private ones) as their pay is less than private rates The quality of cleaning now is minimal to what is used to be and fewer people are choosing to do it. All cleaners I have had in Sydney were born in another country( and many claim not to speak English ) and are usually late middle-aged and work for the same Ethnic agency hired by the Council or other supported companies. They are not taking on new clients also.

You can change providers at will. You are not locked in. Contact OPAN and get help