Surging aged care prices create unexpected living costs—find out why!

As we navigate the golden years of our lives, the comfort and care we receive should be the highest priority.

However, the cost of such care is set to rise sharply, leaving many Australian seniors and their families bracing for impact.

The federal government is about to reveal a new plan to see older Australians dig deeper into their pockets to cover aged care costs.

The upcoming changes are part of a new Aged Care Act, one of the key recommendations from the 2021 Royal Commission into the sector.

While the commission suggested that a new aged care levy funded by taxpayers could help cover costs, the government has decided to shift more financial responsibility onto the users of these services instead.

1724285007887.png
Australia unveiled new aged care fee reforms after talks with the Coalition. Credit: Shutterstock

This decision comes after extensive negotiations with the Coalition, which have been described as 'detailed' and 'constructive.'

Both parties agree that the financial sustainability of aged care services is a pressing issue, especially with the baby boomer generation now reaching the age where they require more care and the smaller generations that follow them unable to shoulder the tax burden.

Aged Care Minister Anika Wells is spearheading the reform to address the financial sustainability of residential and in-home care.

The government's task force has argued that it needs to be more fair and sustainable for taxpayers to continue footing such a large portion of the bill.

As a result, the task force has proposed a system where users contribute more to their care.

This could mean that while the government would still cover residential care costs, users would pay more for accommodation, food, and other services.

High-means residents might see an additional fee, and the option to pay for accommodation via a lump-sum deposit could be phased out in favour of a daily fee.

In-home care could shift to a fee-for-service model where fees are not compulsory, and most users pay nothing.

Under this model, the government would cover care costs, but users would be responsible for other associated costs.

The proposed fee structure is one of the sweeping changes under the new Aged Care Act.

This act aims to replace the current complex and overlapping laws with a single, rights-based law that governs eligibility, funding, quality, and safety regulation.

However, the simplification process has been challenging.

The sector has expressed concerns about the new law's enforceability, fearing that vague standards could lead to unmet expectations, especially in regional areas with limited care options.

The government has a tight timeline to address these concerns and implement the new act by July next year.

In other news, wealthy seniors in Australia could face higher costs for aged care following recommendations from a government task force.

This change is intended to lessen the burden on taxpayers as aged care expenses are projected to rise substantially over the next ten years. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government is preparing to reveal reforms to aged care fees and regulations following negotiations with the Coalition.
  • The new reforms will see aged care residents pay more, with user contributions favoured over a new taxpayer-funded aged care levy.
  • Legislation for a new Aged Care Act is intended to be passed before commencement next July, addressing financial sustainability in aged care.
  • The sector has expressed concerns about enforcing standards and the financial burden on users, with criminal penalties for poor providers being ruled out.
How do you feel about the proposed increase in user contributions for aged care? What steps are you taking to prepare for these changes? Your insights could help fellow members as we all work together to face these challenges head-on.

Last edited:
Sponsored
That's right, hit the old folk again. We can bring in all the people from overseas set them up with all they need without them having a job to repay any money.
As a child I lived in Newcastle and remember the WW2
precautions that had to be taken. At 12 year old I had a job to help my Mum as there was no pensions or support when my Dad passed away when I was only 20 months old. I have worked for years and own my 4 walls, a car and have enough money to send me into the next world. I have watched, and helped, my friends sell up and move into Aged care homes where they have to live on the little that is left over from their pensions.
Now our wonderful government is going to increase costs. Come on Australia look after your own first.

That's right, hit the old folk again. We can bring in all the people from overseas set them up with all they need without them having a job to repay any money.
As a child I lived in Newcastle and remember the WW2
precautions that had to be taken. At 12 year old I had a job to help my Mum as there was no pensions or support when my Dad passed away when I was only 20 months old. I have worked for years and own my 4 walls, a car and have enough money to send me into the next world. I have watched, and helped, my friends sell up and move into Aged care homes where they have to live on the little that is left over from their pensions.
Now our wonderful government is going to increase costs. Come on Australia look after your own first.
Definitely not gonna grow old

Yes if you don’t work a day in your life you’ll get free aged care when you need it! Work all your life, save enough to support yourself (likely be ineligible the for aged pension) you’ll also have to fund your aged care.
Unfortunately, so true. It seems that the People who have worked and saved, also who paid for the unemployable, through taxes, now have to keep paying for them and extra for ones self.

It's an absolute disgrace that a so-called first world country like Australia treats their elderly citizens in this way. The Government should remember the generation of people in their 70s/80s had fathers who went to war and, in some cases (mine was one), didn't come back. The women left had to deal with the situation as best they could and bring up their children. There was virtually no government help as there is nowadays with cash being given to parents right, left and centre. I was born and brought up in Scotland, and the situation was similar there. Our parents didn't whine about it. They just did the best they could for their children. We were taught to be fiscally responsible as that was security. This all counts for nothing now as Care Homes grab every available bit of cash they can from their residents. I am fortunate to be still living in my own home, but have friends who have husbands in Care Homes costing more than $500,000 FOR A ROOM! There are daily costs over and above that. That figure is an AVERAGE cost and friends who have husbands in care wonder what is going to happen to them if they themselves have to go into care and there is no money left. It's time the government looked into these costings and did something about it. I think the proliferation of Care Homes all over Australia speaks for itself on how lucrative this is for the owners of these homes. It's beyond disgusting!

We worked and saved, what for, just so the Govt can further fill their pockets, I virtually dont have any money. My life is in their hands now as I can't afford daily medication so only take it every second day
The fact you can only afford your medication every second day is an absolute disgrace and a blight on the government system here. Have you accessed all your rights and benefits through Centrelink? If you are a pensioner you should be entitled to cheaper prescriptions which are approximately $7 per script at the moment. Perhaps you should discuss this with your health provider to obtain some advice on this as you could be jeopardising your health if you do not take your medication as prescribed.

This is so scary. Things change so quickly & always to the detriment of the aged. When I cared for my parents their package was much easier to negotiate than now. Now I am in my 80s & can't even get assessed for an aged care package as I only require 2 things to maintain my safety at home & I need 3 things. How stupid can this be??
Please look for another thing. I’m sure you will find a reason why

It's an absolute disgrace that a so-called first world country like Australia treats their elderly citizens in this way. The Government should remember the generation of people in their 70s/80s had fathers who went to war and, in some cases (mine was one), didn't come back. The women left had to deal with the situation as best they could and bring up their children. There was virtually no government help as there is nowadays with cash being given to parents right, left and centre. I was born and brought up in Scotland, and the situation was similar there. Our parents didn't whine about it. They just did the best they could for their children. We were taught to be fiscally responsible as that was security. This all counts for nothing now as Care Homes grab every available bit of cash they can from their residents. I am fortunate to be still living in my own home, but have friends who have husbands in Care Homes costing more than $500,000 FOR A ROOM! There are daily costs over and above that. That figure is an AVERAGE cost and friends who have husbands in care wonder what is going to happen to them if they themselves have to go into care and there is no money left. It's time the government looked into these costings and did something about it. I think the proliferation of Care Homes all over Australia speaks for itself on how lucrative this is for the owners of these homes. It's beyond disgusting!
Yes I know a person paying those amounts and the food is such poor quality , I hope I can stay in my home as long as possible , care homes are certainly not inviting

Funny how seniors are a burden to taxpayers but when super contributions are paid for maternity leave the government is contributing not taxpayers don't you love the way they tell their stories. Perhaps it should be the politicians no longer get their superannuation when they leave politics they will have to wait until their 67 so that they don't become a burden to taxpayers

Yes, get pregnant, get parental leave and father and mother get super on that payment. Have a baby, get more money. Get old and get less. That's fair?
Totally agree, about time the older generation got as much consideration as the younger ones, who mostly earn much more than we ever did, expect taxpayers and the government to fund their maternity/paternity, childcare etc etc. yes the cost of living is greater today but I’m sure if a genuine comparison was done between wages and cost of living from our generation to theirs that things would come out pretty equal, hence there is no reason the younger generation should be getting more favourable financial assistance than us older generation. Guess they will be around longer to vote so all politicians, regardless of their brand, are vote seeking by favouring them.

Definitely not gonna grow old

Child endowment they called it. It was also means tested, unlike all the maternity/paternity benefits of today.
There was no such thing as maternity or paternity leave back then. And the young ones complain about how hard they have it. Agreeably, with the price of rent these days nearly takes all the pension without buying food or paying bills. The more children you have the higher pension you get. Still not easy for some, but others just not satisfied. Just whingers

Reactions: Ezzy
Funny how seniors are a burden to taxpayers but when super contributions are paid for maternity leave the government is contributing not taxpayers don't you love the way they tell their stories. Perhaps it should be the politicians no longer get their superannuation when they leave politics they will have to wait until their 67 so that they don't become a burden to taxpayers
Absolutely and get rid of the politician’s pensions that they get for life, regardless of age, after they have served 2 terms. The rest of us don’t get a pension for life after leaving a job.

Yep they have the idea the baby boomers are all rich but not all of us got to put money away or got stacks of money from our parents to live on
I'm the eldest of 10 but also have a half brother so 11 really. My dad worked for the board of works and didn't earn much and mum couldn't work because of all us kids. They didn't have money to put away and we just struggled to get by from pay day to pay day. My dad was one of the Rats of Tobruk but he didn't get a pension from the government as he passed away before he could become a pensioner. So we didn't get money from parents to enable us to be able to afford to buy a home.

I knew an elderly lady (in her 90's) who was in a very expensive nursing home. She passed away this year. She could afford the nursing care without selling her home. The care she received was disappointing .. even at that level! Another lady I know is selling her home and buying a unit at at an aged care facility plus it has a nursing section if needed in the future. I think she should be okay because she has DVA gold card.

They want people to pay more money. Well things really need to improve. If my mind stays well, and my body completely breaks down which is what l expect will happen. As the body is falling apart now. I have told my husband and kids l will be checking out. I do not want to go into aged care. I don't trust that l will be cared for correctly.
I pray l will never be in the position to have to make the choice for a loved one.
Things really need to improve in every area of aged care.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I knew an elderly lady (in her 90's) who was in a very expensive nursing home. She passed away this year. She could afford the nursing care without selling her home. The care she received was disappointing .. even at that level! Another lady I know is selling her home and buying a unit at at an aged care facility plus it has a nursing section if needed in the future. I think she should be okay because she has DVA gold card.
DVAs have been, and still are on velvet.
Particularly wid0ws who married their deceased spouse after any wars.
Once the soldier has died, the dependants can go on the old age pension.
That benefit has been rorting the system since WW2.

I had to recently accept the fact that I could no longer manage alone at home even with two hours of assistance a week from the Government, so reluctantly moved into a nursing home. I'm fortunate now to have a private room and bathroom, and the meals that are prepared are quite tasty, however I miss the independence I had of being able to move freely around the community. My care takes up my entire single Centrelink Aged Pension, I don't know what will happen if costs rise!