Supermarket selling pre-peeled fruit in plastic container draws flak from shoppers: 'Why?'

A piece of fruit is like a sweet treat straight from Mother Nature. Fruit such as peaches and apples are easy to eat, and they also come in their own perfect natural wrapping.

That's why so many shoppers roll their eyes when they see pre-cut and pre-peeled fruit in plastic containers at the grocery store. Fruit already have their own packaging, so why take them off and replace them with plastic that goes into the landfill?

Even though major supermarkets have begun to phase out the usage of plastic bags in their stores, their fresh produce section is still brimming with products that come with single-use containers, Styrofoam trays, and lots and lots of plastic.

Just have a look at the picture below, which was taken by a shopper at a Sydney supermarket's fresh produce rack: a peeled mandarin sat in a clear BioPak cup on a shelf.

Even more surprising is that the piece of fruit, which usually costs between 30 and 50 cents when unpeeled, is being sold for $9.50, which is a crazy markup.

y3HdbK3-6bJnvaeu1WdVtBTIUMhQKTfwUFFVY_WmGAGGqo0AGgSO9MBp2Az092yaYEZskRCvTG6CP5klTkEcW4zOyhie_ocErxuIHMHts1nlahLoVN0Fp3qaonlm-sCoNZugW8GQNl_zTS-EhkM0_rrqpIEGozsiL6RG0AuVLwwBNZZw8w2-zlH9rA

Peeled mandarins were significantly more expensive than their unpeeled counterparts. Credit: Twitter.

On Thursday, the picture of the pricey fruit cup made its way into Twitter, where it was met with a lot of shock and disbelief from fellow Aussie shoppers.

'A mate just sent me this; no surprise it's in the Eastern Suburbs. It's a peeled mandarin in a cup,' said the user in their post.

Many people commented on the tweet, calling it absurd.

'If only nature had a way of serving this up, so we didn't need so much plastic,' one of the users wrote in response. Given the unbelievably huge markup in price, some people even went as far as to say that it was daylight 'robbery'.

Why do supermarkets sell pre-cut fruit?

In response to the tweet, another person pointed out that pre-peeled fruit and vegetables are made available for customers with disabilities, such as those who have weak hand strength or arthritis.

It may seem odd to buy a mandarin already peeled, but some have argued that it is no different from buying pre-cut, pre-washed salad greens, or de-shelled seeds. They're meant for folks who may not have the means or abilities to consume them normally.

0uDA-aPB29u2oKFoQ_aJ86rGbs-zzDFDFQcB8QS4E_bgGXKtUXJDAr9ea_Rd-hDeobVP3LwcFquZmGVO2SZ5NBqdSXP9e5mhO1VeXI83AjlyTc9sdFGfSxU2-MpZcdpSgDcq5c91mILRy8ep7PMZBMs0aJ07FoZayM3IbzK0600xS1awuKttwhEQuQ

Supermarkets offer a wide range of fully prepared fruit and veggies. Credit: Shutterstock.

But for able-bodied customers, the higher price of fully prepped food isn't the only reason to pass it up (although that alone is clearly reason enough); there are a ton of other solid reasons why it's best to leave those pre-packaged things on the grocery store shelf rather than adding them to your cart.
  • They are not as nutritious and vitamin-packed as other fresh produce.
  • They have a shorter shelf life.
  • They can pose a risk when it comes to foodborne illness.
  • They have a bigger carbon footprint.
  • You may take them away from people who really need them.

So you heard it here, folks! Before you give up on pre-cut fruit and vegetables and start asking your local stores to stop selling them, you should know that there is a very good reason why they are still on the shelves.

Having access to pre-cut items can be a lifesaver for people with mobility problems, and can make the difference between preparing a home-cooked meal and resorting to frozen options.

What do you think? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I agree JKD, if it upsets you walk away nobody is forcing you to buy it. I have a friend with bad arthritis in the knuckles of both hands, this would be great for her.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
Im with JKD. Why the fuss? I buy pre bagged salad mixes with dressings plus fruit salad bowls weekly. I also buy various frozen diced vegetable packs to add to my meals at night. Its cheaper for me on my pension and I can eke it out over several days. I also buy fresh produce ie.g. potatoes, onions, etc. when needed. Frozen veg is just as nutricious as fresh. Im also guilty of buying bottled herbs and spices. Should I be growing my own thyme, chilli, coriander,pepper etc or drying my own salt. ? Please people put away your outrage. To each his/her own.

A piece of fruit is like a sweet treat straight from Mother Nature. Fruit such as peaches and apples are easy to eat, and they also come in their own perfect natural wrapping.

That's why so many shoppers roll their eyes when they see pre-cut and pre-peeled fruit in plastic containers at the grocery store. Fruit already have their own packaging, so why take them off and replace them with plastic that goes into the landfill?

Even though major supermarkets have begun to phase out the usage of plastic bags in their stores, their fresh produce section is still brimming with products that come with single-use containers, Styrofoam trays, and lots and lots of plastic.

Just have a look at the picture below, which was taken by a shopper at a Sydney supermarket's fresh produce rack: a peeled mandarin sat in a clear BioPak cup on a shelf.

Even more surprising is that the piece of fruit, which usually costs between 30 and 50 cents when unpeeled, is being sold for $9.50, which is a crazy markup.

y3HdbK3-6bJnvaeu1WdVtBTIUMhQKTfwUFFVY_WmGAGGqo0AGgSO9MBp2Az092yaYEZskRCvTG6CP5klTkEcW4zOyhie_ocErxuIHMHts1nlahLoVN0Fp3qaonlm-sCoNZugW8GQNl_zTS-EhkM0_rrqpIEGozsiL6RG0AuVLwwBNZZw8w2-zlH9rA

Peeled mandarins were significantly more expensive than their unpeeled counterparts. Credit: Twitter.

On Thursday, the picture of the pricey fruit cup made its way into Twitter, where it was met with a lot of shock and disbelief from fellow Aussie shoppers.

'A mate just sent me this; no surprise it's in the Eastern Suburbs. It's a peeled mandarin in a cup,' said the user in their post.

Many people commented on the tweet, calling it absurd.

'If only nature had a way of serving this up, so we didn't need so much plastic,' one of the users wrote in response. Given the unbelievably huge markup in price, some people even went as far as to say that it was daylight 'robbery'.

Why do supermarkets sell pre-cut fruit?

In response to the tweet, another person pointed out that pre-peeled fruit and vegetables are made available for customers with disabilities, such as those who have weak hand strength or arthritis.

It may seem odd to buy a mandarin already peeled, but some have argued that it is no different from buying pre-cut, pre-washed salad greens, or de-shelled seeds. They're meant for folks who may not have the means or abilities to consume them normally.

0uDA-aPB29u2oKFoQ_aJ86rGbs-zzDFDFQcB8QS4E_bgGXKtUXJDAr9ea_Rd-hDeobVP3LwcFquZmGVO2SZ5NBqdSXP9e5mhO1VeXI83AjlyTc9sdFGfSxU2-MpZcdpSgDcq5c91mILRy8ep7PMZBMs0aJ07FoZayM3IbzK0600xS1awuKttwhEQuQ

Supermarkets offer a wide range of fully prepared fruit and veggies. Credit: Shutterstock.

But for able-bodied customers, the higher price of fully prepped food isn't the only reason to pass it up (although that alone is clearly reason enough); there are a ton of other solid reasons why it's best to leave those pre-packaged things on the grocery store shelf rather than adding them to your cart.
  • They are not as nutritious and vitamin-packed as other fresh produce.
  • They have a shorter shelf life.
  • They can pose a risk when it comes to foodborne illness.
  • They have a bigger carbon footprint.
  • You may take them away from people who really need them.

So you heard it here, folks! Before you give up on pre-cut fruit and vegetables and start asking your local stores to stop selling them, you should know that there is a very good reason why they are still on the shelves.

Having access to pre-cut items can be a lifesaver for people with mobility problems, and can make the difference between preparing a home-cooked meal and resorting to frozen options.

What do you think? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
Laziness surcharge 😅

Reactions: Ricci
Yes, each to his own.
I've been there with both wrists broken at the same time. Can't even get self a cup of tea, let alone peel a piece of fruit.
However, long term, I believe in peeling fruit as close to consuming as possible.
Cut fruit loses vitamins when exposed to light.

I buy pre cut and prepackaged fruit. I am the only one that eats watermelon and rockmelon and buying a half rockmelon or a 1/4 watermelon can be wasteful as I don’t get to finish them before they go off. Buying it pre cut means I don’t have the waste of the skin and I usually get the prepackaged fruit that also has strawberries and passion fruit and honey dew melon from the local green grocer. So I get more fruit and if I bought them individually it would cost me a lot more. Yes it is dearer as you don’t get as much fruit but there is no waste

Reactions: piffle and Ricci
Im with JKD. Why the fuss? I buy pre bagged salad mixes with dressings plus fruit salad bowls weekly. I also buy various frozen diced vegetable packs to add to my meals at night. Its cheaper for me on my pension and I can eke it out over several days. I also buy fresh produce ie.g. potatoes, onions, etc. when needed. Frozen veg is just as nutricious as fresh. Im also guilty of buying bottled herbs and spices. Should I be growing my own thyme, chilli, coriander,pepper etc or drying my own salt. ? Please people put away your outrage. To each his/her own.
Exactly! I do the same, the frozen veg and fruit never go off and need to be thrown out and wasted. Fresh garlic/ginger tubes always ready and you no longer need to clean that messy garlic crusher (I always hated that :cautious:). I make all my own marinades /sauces/gravies (well, occasionally I cheat with the gravies) who can be bothered. I live on my own so no worries. Besides, we pensioners/baby boomers are a resourceful lot, aren't we. :)
So, high five Piffle! Here's to us!

I am buying more and more tinned fruit as the fresh stuff is crazy priced at the moment. I would be prepared to buy ready prepared for things like melon (all types) as I only need enough for one. Apples and pears I can only eat once they are cored, cut into slices and left a while, The acid in them upsets my tummy something awful otherwise. I'm not supposed to eat citrus because of the medication I'm on so the fruit aisle is a minefield for me. Roll on grape season!!:)

No surprise, there is obviously a market for these no matter what the price, remember not all are like us or we pensioners, and they have a surplus of bugs bunny
They are now planning to replace "tin" cans with plastic. This is a backward step. Steel (not base Iron) is coated with tin to prevent reaction with food. Tin oxidizes. Steel does break down (up to 200 years) though it takes longer to do so than iron. Plastic takes up to 450 years to decompose.

• Sad
I guess it would appeal (pardon the pun) to people who have a disability and can't peel fruit themselves ....but that price!!! Certainly not if they are on a disability pension!!!
Yeah $9.50 for a manderine

• Sad