Supermarket called out for being 'inconsiderate' of older customers: 'Fix it!'

The simple pleasures of life, such as going to the store, preparing a meal, and sitting down to eat, become increasingly challenging as we age, especially for those who are living independently.

And even if we can still get around on our own, some seniors may put off going to the supermarket because of the inconvenience involved, and because some stores are becoming less senior-friendly.

One Woolies store, in particular, was recently called out by a concerned shopper due to the management's obvious disregard for its facilities, which was causing problems for all customers, but most especially the seniors.

Sharing on social media, the user posted a heartbreaking photo of an elderly woman struggling to walk up a broken travelator with her walking stick at Woolworths Hampton in Melbourne.

m6RyoJaxxwRz5kQRPjTGx7DHxHEgy8jbLkc1gDQc9p8Jylf7ap2kPSe2MTwDRdCals6UKmWZ_WfY_zP1LwRYV7ExEiDrDthNnaFHTilCnvsbVAqsDDYqLkQPBhTFvNkKnT5J5RvKWjplbu1404gFvS-bUJJK_Q3OE7gGClQSr5LjsEpB427kXUodDQ

One elderly lady was spotted having difficulties walking up the broken travelator. Credit: Twitter.

The frustrated shopper went on to say that the slanted walkway had been broken for four weeks, making life difficult for all customers, and that management was doing nothing to fix it.

'I'd like to think management is already aware of this. It's been like this for a month and before that, out of order for a day or two every other month,' said the user in their tweet.

It appears from the photo that the store at least put up a sign informing and apologising to its customers that the travelator was temporarily unavailable.

But because it's been weeks, they really ought to have it fixed by now, right? Poor customers—we can only imagine how difficult it must be for those who are pushing larger and heavier trolleys…

KdrItI6lA9Rma-zk3vRXGtpVU4z6EMGTBlsiy08N0jo-ciV05KUVaGJTiARgu1zXQmvlCv_7UmNZD-hVDgO8q_wvDdmAr4cxulXwiKl0jLfjzWo_K_coSXbij3hrEYd_ZhfjNfLyvQW2HOypF4ydL9pRwZgcNecx6cfV2X6iUH-csJIqGBRsCG7RbA

The management of the store is working to fix the problem. Credit: Woolworths / Foursquare.

The supermarket giant has already had a person come forward to handle the problem ever since it was brought to their attention online. A representative for the store in question said that they were aware of the problem and were working diligently to resolve it.

However, it was reported that the specific parts needed to fix the travelator need to come from overseas, so it might take a bit longer.

'We're aware of an issue affecting one of the travelators used to access our Hampton store,' the spokesperson said. 'Customers can access the store via a lift from the car park downstairs in the interim. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.'

What do you think of this story, members? Are there any other problems you run into that make shopping less enjoyable, given that many of you still shop for your weekly groceries in person at supermarkets? Tell us about them in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Omg that is terrible. When escalators break down they are hard to walk up, forget pushing any shopping trolley that some use, like my mother.

My mother still insists on shopping trips and I know if she experienced this it would be impossible for her to walk up.

She lives in Taree and they really look after their elderly.

I think this is showing disregard for all customers...Elderly, Mums with prams, wheelchairs, people with disabilities or health issues.
There is no excuse not to have it fixed, oh hang on they will say Covid

Hang on a tick it's really not Woolies problem. The company that runs the travelator would have a contract to keep it running so the fault is theirs. Woolies is also a victim in this instance. At least there is a lift available for use while they wait for the spares to arrive. ;)

Hang on a tick it's really not Woolies problem. The company that runs the travelator would have a contract to keep it running so the fault is theirs. Woolies is also a victim in this instance. At least there is a lift available for use while they wait for the spares to arrive. ;)
I didn't realise there was a lift available. I thought it went straight to Woolies . A lift would be much easier for the elderly, so I really don't know what the problem is

Omg that is terrible. When escalators break down they are hard to walk up, forget pushing any shopping trolley that some use, like my mother.

My mother still insists on shopping trips and I know if she experienced this it would be impossible for her to walk up.

She lives in Taree and they really look after their elderly.

I think this is showing disregard for all customers...Elderly, Mums with prams, wheelchairs, people with disabilities or health issues.
There is no excuse not to have it fixed, oh hang on they will say Covid
Pleased that Taree looks after the elderly there.
My 88yr old mother was born in Wingham.

The simple pleasures of life, such as going to the store, preparing a meal, and sitting down to eat, become increasingly challenging as we age, especially for those who are living independently.

And even if we can still get around on our own, some seniors may put off going to the supermarket because of the inconvenience involved, and because some stores are becoming less senior-friendly.

One Woolies store, in particular, was recently called out by a concerned shopper due to the management's obvious disregard for its facilities, which was causing problems for all customers, but most especially the seniors.

Sharing on social media, the user posted a heartbreaking photo of an elderly woman struggling to walk up a broken travelator with her walking stick at Woolworths Hampton in Melbourne.

m6RyoJaxxwRz5kQRPjTGx7DHxHEgy8jbLkc1gDQc9p8Jylf7ap2kPSe2MTwDRdCals6UKmWZ_WfY_zP1LwRYV7ExEiDrDthNnaFHTilCnvsbVAqsDDYqLkQPBhTFvNkKnT5J5RvKWjplbu1404gFvS-bUJJK_Q3OE7gGClQSr5LjsEpB427kXUodDQ

One elderly lady was spotted having difficulties walking up the broken travelator. Credit: Twitter.

The frustrated shopper went on to say that the slanted walkway had been broken for four weeks, making life difficult for all customers, and that management was doing nothing to fix it.

'I'd like to think management is already aware of this. It's been like this for a month and before that, out of order for a day or two every other month,' said the user in their tweet.

It appears from the photo that the store at least put up a sign informing and apologising to its customers that the travelator was temporarily unavailable.

But because it's been weeks, they really ought to have it fixed by now, right? Poor customers—we can only imagine how difficult it must be for those who are pushing larger and heavier trolleys…

KdrItI6lA9Rma-zk3vRXGtpVU4z6EMGTBlsiy08N0jo-ciV05KUVaGJTiARgu1zXQmvlCv_7UmNZD-hVDgO8q_wvDdmAr4cxulXwiKl0jLfjzWo_K_coSXbij3hrEYd_ZhfjNfLyvQW2HOypF4ydL9pRwZgcNecx6cfV2X6iUH-csJIqGBRsCG7RbA

The management of the store is working to fix the problem. Credit: Woolworths / Foursquare.

The supermarket giant has already had a person come forward to handle the problem ever since it was brought to their attention online. A representative for the store in question said that they were aware of the problem and were working diligently to resolve it.

However, it was reported that the specific parts needed to fix the travelator need to come from overseas, so it might take a bit longer.

'We're aware of an issue affecting one of the travelators used to access our Hampton store,' the spokesperson said. 'Customers can access the store via a lift from the car park downstairs in the interim. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.'

What do you think of this story, members? Are there any other problems you run into that make shopping less enjoyable, given that many of you still shop for your weekly groceries in person at supermarkets? Tell us about them in the comments section below!
'A lift is available downstairs' not very helpful for the elderly or those with a disability trying to use stairs. Perhaps signage prior to entering the building and providing signage to the lift in the car park, BUT making sure that the area is safe for walking customers.

What is wrong do we not have any toolmakers that can make a part or a computer hacker that can fix any electronic device. Why are we waiting so long for things from overseas. Respective governments need to ensure we can be more self-sufficient. That is something we all need to do fix it rather than throw it away. My father in the 1930's and 40'scouldn't get petrol so he made his own gas producer to operate the car. He fixed it to the rear of the vehicle and it burnt wood to produce the fuel. We couldn't afford to throw things away we fixed it one way or another.

it really vexes me that EVERYTHING nowadays has to "come from overseas", when will the government support Australian businesses and stop overseas control........NEVER is my guess. even the humble four-and-twenty meat pie has gone to overseas owners. before long (if not already) Australia will have NOTHING to call "our own". everything that is made in the whole-wide-world COULD be made here.

In WA an escalator at Glendalough train station was broken down for months awaiting parts from overseas. Four weeks or longer seems an excessive amount of time to wait for spare parts.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I recently waited 6 weeks for repairs to be carried out to my house. The timber required was in short supply so i had to wait on the next shipment, then with so many workers off work with covid i had to wait again. What is going wrong with this country.

• Sad
Do you mean to tell me that there is only one person who can fix this repair and he is overseas? It is so obvious that it HAS to be a Company Owned issue. That's a lot of .... No way. Woolworth's are not to blame for something that comes by a separate heading under "Repairs." One man can't repair thousands of travelators. Something 'fishy' here. Us housewives never came down in the last shower. If they cannot reach a decision to find another connection than the one that is overseas, ring another store to find out "who does THEIR repairs?" It's not being handled correctly.

I’m amazed! We live in Adelaide and the Woolworthsthat we use has an escalator up from the car park as well which is out of order on a regular basis. It’s been like this since the store was first built not too many years ago. .? the same escalator company

• Angry
Reactions: Ezzy and Isabella
Do you mean to tell me that there is only one person who can fix this repair and he is overseas? It is so obvious that it HAS to be a Company Owned issue. That's a lot of .... No way. Woolworth's are not to blame for something that comes by a separate heading under "Repairs." One man can't repair thousands of travelators. Something 'fishy' here. Us housewives never came down in the last shower. If they cannot reach a decision to find another connection than the one that is overseas, ring another store to find out "who does THEIR repairs?" It's not being handled correctly.
Not sure where you got the idea from Esma but it is the spare parts that are overseas, not the repairman.:)

Reactions: Ezzy

It appears most often, that unless things like this are published on social media the problem can go on for a very long time. Good for you for sharing and getting something done!!

It is their problem if they are in control of the contractor involved.

Reactions: Ricci