Supermarket called out for being 'inconsiderate' of older customers: 'Fix it!'

The simple pleasures of life, such as going to the store, preparing a meal, and sitting down to eat, become increasingly challenging as we age, especially for those who are living independently.

And even if we can still get around on our own, some seniors may put off going to the supermarket because of the inconvenience involved, and because some stores are becoming less senior-friendly.

One Woolies store, in particular, was recently called out by a concerned shopper due to the management's obvious disregard for its facilities, which was causing problems for all customers, but most especially the seniors.

Sharing on social media, the user posted a heartbreaking photo of an elderly woman struggling to walk up a broken travelator with her walking stick at Woolworths Hampton in Melbourne.

m6RyoJaxxwRz5kQRPjTGx7DHxHEgy8jbLkc1gDQc9p8Jylf7ap2kPSe2MTwDRdCals6UKmWZ_WfY_zP1LwRYV7ExEiDrDthNnaFHTilCnvsbVAqsDDYqLkQPBhTFvNkKnT5J5RvKWjplbu1404gFvS-bUJJK_Q3OE7gGClQSr5LjsEpB427kXUodDQ

One elderly lady was spotted having difficulties walking up the broken travelator. Credit: Twitter.

The frustrated shopper went on to say that the slanted walkway had been broken for four weeks, making life difficult for all customers, and that management was doing nothing to fix it.

'I'd like to think management is already aware of this. It's been like this for a month and before that, out of order for a day or two every other month,' said the user in their tweet.

It appears from the photo that the store at least put up a sign informing and apologising to its customers that the travelator was temporarily unavailable.

But because it's been weeks, they really ought to have it fixed by now, right? Poor customers—we can only imagine how difficult it must be for those who are pushing larger and heavier trolleys…

KdrItI6lA9Rma-zk3vRXGtpVU4z6EMGTBlsiy08N0jo-ciV05KUVaGJTiARgu1zXQmvlCv_7UmNZD-hVDgO8q_wvDdmAr4cxulXwiKl0jLfjzWo_K_coSXbij3hrEYd_ZhfjNfLyvQW2HOypF4ydL9pRwZgcNecx6cfV2X6iUH-csJIqGBRsCG7RbA

The management of the store is working to fix the problem. Credit: Woolworths / Foursquare.

The supermarket giant has already had a person come forward to handle the problem ever since it was brought to their attention online. A representative for the store in question said that they were aware of the problem and were working diligently to resolve it.

However, it was reported that the specific parts needed to fix the travelator need to come from overseas, so it might take a bit longer.

'We're aware of an issue affecting one of the travelators used to access our Hampton store,' the spokesperson said. 'Customers can access the store via a lift from the car park downstairs in the interim. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.'

What do you think of this story, members? Are there any other problems you run into that make shopping less enjoyable, given that many of you still shop for your weekly groceries in person at supermarkets? Tell us about them in the comments section below!

Sponsored
It would be the owner of the property that would be in touch with the repairers, very unlikely to be Woolies.:)
Why did Woolies take responsibility then by putting up signs? Oh well, so long as the problems gets resolved. Cheers Ricci :)

Reactions: Ricci
Why not simply close the upwards direction, and refer customers to the lift?
Or, if possible, change the travel direction of the other?
That sounds very logical, oh yeah so it won't happen

Do you mean to tell me that there is only one person who can fix this repair and he is overseas? It is so obvious that it HAS to be a Company Owned issue. That's a lot of .... No way. Woolworth's are not to blame for something that comes by a separate heading under "Repairs." One man can't repair thousands of travelators. Something 'fishy' here. Us housewives never came down in the last shower. If they cannot reach a decision to find another connection than the one that is overseas, ring another store to find out "who does THEIR repairs?" It's not being handled correctly.
Duh, it's not the repairman overseas it's the necessary parts. It's happening in all industries. Almost impossible to buy new cars, two years to build a house. Wakey, wakey, and welcome to 2022😠

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Another example of the "invisible aged ". I cannot count how many times I have waited patiently for someone (anyone) To help me find some item I need. Hand waving gets me a quick smile as they stand talking. I usually leave in frustration, with out my item.

Reactions: Ricci and Ezzy
The simple pleasures of life, such as going to the store, preparing a meal, and sitting down to eat, become increasingly challenging as we age, especially for those who are living independently.

And even if we can still get around on our own, some seniors may put off going to the supermarket because of the inconvenience involved, and because some stores are becoming less senior-friendly.

One Woolies store, in particular, was recently called out by a concerned shopper due to the management's obvious disregard for its facilities, which was causing problems for all customers, but most especially the seniors.

Sharing on social media, the user posted a heartbreaking photo of an elderly woman struggling to walk up a broken travelator with her walking stick at Woolworths Hampton in Melbourne.

m6RyoJaxxwRz5kQRPjTGx7DHxHEgy8jbLkc1gDQc9p8Jylf7ap2kPSe2MTwDRdCals6UKmWZ_WfY_zP1LwRYV7ExEiDrDthNnaFHTilCnvsbVAqsDDYqLkQPBhTFvNkKnT5J5RvKWjplbu1404gFvS-bUJJK_Q3OE7gGClQSr5LjsEpB427kXUodDQ

One elderly lady was spotted having difficulties walking up the broken travelator. Credit: Twitter.

The frustrated shopper went on to say that the slanted walkway had been broken for four weeks, making life difficult for all customers, and that management was doing nothing to fix it.

'I'd like to think management is already aware of this. It's been like this for a month and before that, out of order for a day or two every other month,' said the user in their tweet.

It appears from the photo that the store at least put up a sign informing and apologising to its customers that the travelator was temporarily unavailable.

But because it's been weeks, they really ought to have it fixed by now, right? Poor customers—we can only imagine how difficult it must be for those who are pushing larger and heavier trolleys…

KdrItI6lA9Rma-zk3vRXGtpVU4z6EMGTBlsiy08N0jo-ciV05KUVaGJTiARgu1zXQmvlCv_7UmNZD-hVDgO8q_wvDdmAr4cxulXwiKl0jLfjzWo_K_coSXbij3hrEYd_ZhfjNfLyvQW2HOypF4ydL9pRwZgcNecx6cfV2X6iUH-csJIqGBRsCG7RbA

The management of the store is working to fix the problem. Credit: Woolworths / Foursquare.

The supermarket giant has already had a person come forward to handle the problem ever since it was brought to their attention online. A representative for the store in question said that they were aware of the problem and were working diligently to resolve it.

However, it was reported that the specific parts needed to fix the travelator need to come from overseas, so it might take a bit longer.

'We're aware of an issue affecting one of the travelators used to access our Hampton store,' the spokesperson said. 'Customers can access the store via a lift from the car park downstairs in the interim. We apologise for the inconvenience caused and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.'

What do you think of this story, members? Are there any other problems you run into that make shopping less enjoyable, given that many of you still shop for your weekly groceries in person at supermarkets? Tell us about them in the comments section below!
O.K. so the lift at the front car park can be used by customers, but how far is it from this location & how accessible is it? How many people can use this at any time with a trolley load of shopping & if this is overworked & breaks down, what is the solution? Too often now delays on parts are being blamed on COVID or a need for these to come from overseas. Are they being shipped by snail post? If an item is needed urgently as these surely are, what about Airfreight, or would the shopping centre rather, as it would appear, prefer to let someone hurt themselves & start a Law Suit? The photo shows an elderly lady going up the travelator. What happens when the same person or any person tries to come down with a trolley load of shopping? What control do they have?

Approx 2 years ago l was taking a gent down one of these, which was working, & to control our descent l applied the handbrake to the wheelchair. My wife followed closely behind us & behind her, a lady with a trolley load of shopping who started at the top letting the weight of the trolley take her down. I was unable to take the handbrake off quickly enough & the woman collided with my wife knocking her facedown. The travelator continued, my wife couldn't get up & the woman could not pull the trolley off her. Only the quick thinking of a customer who hit the Emergency button saved the day. We later learnt my wife had sustained a fractured wrist due to the negligent actions of the woman with the trolley. As stated, this travelator was working. What could happen if two people on a non operating travelator had the same situation at the same time? The front person would be crushed between the trollies. Not possible? Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Omg that is terrible. When escalators break down they are hard to walk up, forget pushing any shopping trolley that some use, like my mother.

My mother still insists on shopping trips and I know if she experienced this it would be impossible for her to walk up.

She lives in Taree and they really look after their elderly.

I think this is showing disregard for all customers...Elderly, Mums with prams, wheelchairs, people with disabilities or health issues.
There is no excuse not to have it fixed, oh hang on they will say Covid
We had same problem at Beenleigh Marketplace. The travelator had been out of action since the floods and was terribly difficult for elderly folk to walk up and down. No though at all for customers.

As everyone knows nobody in business cares about anybody but themselves. This elevator should have been fixed as soon as it was notified. Parts coming from overseas? Pull the other one ... its got bells on it!! There must be thousands of those elevators around the country and no manufacturer or wholesaler or supplier would not have access to spare parts. Perhaps it is greed that says I don't need spare parts because it will cost me!!! Get real, man!!

Reactions: Ricci and Ezzy