Super boom widens wealth gap: ‘I thought this would be a stress-free life’

In the golden years of retirement, many Australians find themselves grappling with the harsh reality of financial instability.

The culprit?

Superannuation—a system designed to secure a comfortable retirement, but which, according to a recent report, is driving wealth inequality in Australia.

Elaine's story is a stark reminder of the growing wealth gap in Australia.

After nearly five decades of dedicated service in sectors like aged care and social services, Elaine retired with $45,000 in superannuation.

bed-news-morning.jpg
Elaine had little to save for her retirement due to superannuation. Stock Image Credit: Freepik

Her retirement dream of a peaceful life on her 25-acre property has been replaced by the harsh reality of a mould-infested social housing flat.

Experts said Elaine’s story is typical of several older women who experienced hard times.

She entered the workforce in the 1970s and made $50 per fortnight.

Despite her wage growth over time, superannuation became compulsory only in 1992.

Elaine then realised that there was little to save for her retirement.

‘I worked from two days after my 16th birthday till I was 63,’ she said.

‘I paid taxes for all those years, and now I see no reward for my efforts.’

After her divorce in the early 2000s, she used her settlement money to buy a transportable home.

However, a diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome, a hormonal disorder, led to financial stress, resulting in her downsizing to a caravan park and eventually moving into social housing.

‘I was making some very poor decisions around about that time because of my illness,’ she said. 

‘I just thought that this would be a stress-free life, and that turned out to be more stressful than anything. I hated it.’

Elaine later found an apartment, but she could no longer afford the weekly rent of $250 as cost-of-living pressures hit two years ago.

‘I knew I was going to come to that pointy end, where I was not going to be able to afford anything other than the Housing Trust or community housing, Elaine said. 

Elaine was grateful for access to social housing and pension. However, she felt left behind.

‘I'm not important in this world. That's how I feel. And I think a lot of other people feel like that,’ she said.

Addressing the Superannuation Gap: What Can Be Done?

A recent Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) and the University of New South Wales (UNSW) report revealed that superannuation is the primary driver of wealth inequality in Australia, leading to a gap that has steadily widened over the past 20 years.

The wealthiest Australians retire with at least seven times more in super than those with the smallest balances, a gap that has been widening over the past two decades.

Professor Carla Treloar, the report’s author, said: ‘At the top end of our households [by wealth], they have on average about half-a-million dollars in superannuation wealth.’

‘The bottom 20 per cent households, by wealth, have on average about $66,000 in superannuation assets.’

Treloar also said lower-wealth households relied on superannuation, while the top prospered through their investments, like shares and real estate.

The highest 20 per cent in the country are 90 times wealthier than the lowest 20 per cent.

‘That's a really good pause for thought to see if our policy settings are right to contribute to where we want Australia to be in another two decades,’ Treloar noted. 

i-can-t-believe-what-i-see.jpg
Reports revealed that superannuation is the main factor of wealth inequality. Credit: Freepik

The gap in superannuation disproportionately affects some Australians.

Linda Elkins from KPMG Australia said women had less superannuation than men because they often ‘dominated the non-paid activities’.

‘We have that gap because superannuation is based on salary and wages, and women have periods of not earning salary and wages due to child-bearing and caring responsibilities,’ she said. 

A KPMG report found that women aged 50 to 54 had 32 per cent less super than men on average, while women aged 60 to 64 had 23 per cent less.

This is compounded by the fact that women are more likely to work in lower-paid industries, reducing their super contributions over time.

Elkins suggested that employers should be required to pay the compulsory 11 per cent super contribution during periods of paid parental leave and carer's leave.

She also advocated for tax concessions for women who want to make 'catch-up payments' for their missed superannuation contributions.

The Australian government's inquiry into homelessness two years ago found older women to be among the most vulnerable cohort.

'They might lose their housing, or they have to skip meals, or they have to compromise on looking after their health,' Treloar said.

Despite the challenges, Elaine remained hopeful.

'Honestly, this isn't the end,' she said.

'Something great might happen. You don't know.'

Similar to Elaine, seniors have devoted their lives to fulfilling their responsibilities and striving for a comfortable future in their golden years. However, it is worrisome that there has been a rise in complaints regarding the handling of superannuation claims which has caused unnecessary delays.

In a previous story, the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) said that superannuation complaints involving delays in claims handling have jumped alarmingly in the past 12 months. What could be the cause? Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Wealth inequality in Australia, particularly in relation to superannuation, has widened over the past two decades, with the richest individuals retiring with seven times more in super than the poorest.
  • The report from ACOSS and UNSW highlights that older women, like Elaine, often retire with less superannuation due to lower earnings over their lifetime and periods where they engaged in unpaid care work.
  • Superannuation is a significant contributor to wealth disparities, and while higher-wealth households have diversified investments, those with lower wealth are more reliant on their superannuation funds.
  • Solutions like requiring employers to pay superannuation on paid parental and carer's leave, as well as offering tax concessions for catch-up payments, are being advocated to address the gender superannuation gap.
What are your thoughts on the superannuation system? Have you experienced similar challenges? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Elaine got a payout property settlement like many other women & did it tough yes!
I actually had to pay my exes (x 2) to keep the roof over my kids heads, but i cant & wouldn't change any of it tho as i worked super hard (20yrs of shiftwork, gruelling 12hr shifts, 36hr wkends & missed most Xmases & other events & milestones with my kids which hurt a lot), but i finally became mortgage & debt free just before my 60th birthday & it might be a dodgey old cheap-arse $250k 4 bedroom house on the edge of town on 1.5 acres (that actually cost me closer to a million $'s, but i totally own it myself now & I'm proud of how hard i worked & what i went without to get whete I am! I even have a bit of super saved so i can cruise a bit now as i get older, life is good but it's doesn't come by being lucky, its bloody extremely hard work!

No more mistakes in relationships, I've learnt the hard way & I'm staying single for the remainder of my life no matter what & I'll certainly NEVER live with anyone ever again (unless of course, it's my kids who'll eventually inherit this old house)!
Know how you feel, been through the same myself. Ripped off by two exes, but I eventually ended up with my own home fully paid for. It takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice, but it depends what you want out of life and how much effort you are prepared to put in to get it
I get so sick of people who say I don't know how lucky I am to own my own home. Luck had nothing to do with it.
About two years ago I sold my home in the city and moved to the country where I was able to buy two homes for the price of onei
I can now enjoy my retirement without any financial worries. I own my own home, rent out the other.
I really don't know why more people don't do this, it certainly makes life a lot easier, country people are so much more friendly than city people who don't even bother to acknowledge you.
Both my exes wasted their settlement money and both have since passed away penniless l.
My second husband's mother even rang me and asked me to pay for his funeral. As if!!!
I'd already paid to get rid of him once.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Cheezil
Totally agree, it's not designed for the Aussie battler to get ahead with, more for politicians to feather their own nest (& I'm betting taxes from our super go tward their massive super payouts when they retire)& also financial advisors & administrators, insurers, shareholders, CEO's etc get wealthy from our super i daresay! Everyone except us!
Spot on...

I'm not too sure about employers paying superannuation during maternity and caring leave.
That might be OK for big business, but small businesses just couldn't carry these extra expenses
Having been in small business myself many years ago and when superannuation was bought in many businesses folded, including mine. I had about 20 employees and that one more expense, which couldn't be passed on to my customers, spelt the death knell for me, putting 20 workers out of a job .
I honestly believe that workers should contribute 50% themselves to their own superannuation, though zI don't imagine too many people will agree with me, as most people seem to think their bosses are rolling in money, where In truth a very large number are struggling to keep their heads above water.
When compulsory superation was commenced it was paid instead of a wage increase so businesses were not really affected. People seem to have forgotten that.

What about those that have paid taxes all their lives and get absolutely no pension? If you have managed to get a good education and did not squander your money you have to take care of yourself even though a higher wage during your working life also made you pay more taxes as well. Circumstances are different for everyone. It is interesting if I went and bought a big house to live in I would be eligible for a pension and all it’s benefits but because I chose to downsize I have no access to government funds.
I believe, like New Zealand, everybody should get the age pension no matter what they own or don't. The more people own the more tax they would have paid.
You should also, as in New Zealand, be able to earn as much as you like, pay tax on those earnings and not have to report earnings to Centrelink. It should have no effect on your pension.
After all this is exactly the situation our politicians have set up for themselves. Millions in retirement payments and can still go on and earn millions. Take our poor tired, worn out, exhausted, overworked Premier Mark McGowan for instance.
It was only a few months and he was bright eyed and bushy tailed and accepting, what was it, I think four new astronomically paid jobs.
The money Centrelink would save on administration costs would more than cover the cost of the extra pensions and the government would have more tax income from the pensioners who would decide to take on employment when they will no longer be penalised.
At the end of the day why shouldn't everybody who has paid taxes be entitled to an age pension as those who haven't contributed automatically get one.

When compulsory superation was commenced it was paid instead of a wage increase so businesses were not really affected. People seem to have forgotten that.
Businesses were definitely affected, many of them folded, it had nothing to do with less wage increases. In fact, not long before there had been a wage increase .
I haven't forgotten, I was in business which I should imagine you weren't or you wouldn't have made such a silly statement.

Reactions: Babbie
Businesses were definitely affected, many of them folded, it had nothing to do with less wage increases. In fact, not long before there had been a wage increase .
I haven't forgotten, I was in business which I should imagine you weren't or you wouldn't have made such a silly statement.
You are correct my little tibbies! 👍🏻

You are correct my little tibbies! 👍🏻
Thank you, it was just one more nail in the coffin of many small businesses. As I said previously I think everyone should contribute50%
of their super contributions themselves. Many years before businesses I worked for had superannuation but you had to pay it yourself, not your employer.

Reactions: Babbie