Sunrise shake-up announced - Who is getting replaced?

There's always something exciting brewing in the world of television, and for those who watch Sunrise, a surprise shake-up is about to sweep in next week!

Say goodbye to Sam Mac and get ready to welcome Jimmy Rees as the new weather presenter for the TV show.

Renowned for his enthusiastic and ever-reliable weather reports, Sunrise's Sam Mac is taking a break (just for a week!) for some well-deserved family time with his partner Rebecca James and their baby daughter Margot before returning to the show.

In his stead, 35-year-old comedian Jimmy Rees will take over the weather reports.

Jimmy spoke to the show’s hosts to announce the news, saying that he’s ‘finally made it’ and that it’s ‘breaking news’.

sunrise1.jpg
Jimmy Rees will replace Sam Mac for a week. Credit: Sunrise on 7

‘I think I finally made it. Breaking news, I'm becoming the Sunrise weather guy all next week. I have no idea what you have planned for me,’ he joked.

He also stated he’s going to be visiting a few places in Victoria, where he will also be doing some live crossings.

‘I’m going to a primary school, thermal springs and yet-to-be-discussed other things that, hopefully, I can actually do,’ he continued.

Natalie Barr then revealed they planned a defensive driver course for him while he’s filling in for Sam Mac.

‘How hard can it be? I got something I want to say. I think the weather holds him back,’ he quipped.

‘I'll tell people just to look it up on their phone so I can keep going with the defensive driving course,’ he continued.

Jimmy is a former Kids TV host turned internet star. He received millions of views on his various social media platforms during lockdowns by sharing hilarious video commentaries on Australia’s COVID-19 border closures.

sunrise2.jpg
Jimmy is a former TV show host. Credit: Jimmyrees_/Instagram

He also competed in the 16th season of Dancing with the Stars, starred in several theatre productions, and appeared in multiple Australian TV programs.

This isn’t the first time Sunrise made big changes to their reporter line-ups.

Last year, the son of iconic wildlife conservationist Steve Irwin, Robert Irwin, also took up the mantle for Sam Mac for a week while the weather presenter was on personal leave.

The 18-year-old, who also works as a wildlife conservationist, went on the show ahead of his gig and said he would be bringing his trademark enthusiasm to the role – much to the delight of the hosts.

It is unconfirmed what Sam’s plans are for his time off. However, reports have revealed that Rebecca and baby Margot are currently in Europe with the family. Rebecca has been sharing updates of the trip across Italy and France on her social media accounts.

Sam’s leave follows reports of his body transformation journey to getting in shape for his cover of Men’s Health Magazine.

The TV show host recently went through an eight-week body transformation and debuted his changed look during the weather segment on Sunrise last 31 March.

He shared: ‘A lot of our viewers have been writing to me over the past weeks asking “Have you lost weight – what's going on?”…Yes, I have lost weight. I've been training for the last two months, and I can reveal that I'm on the cover of Men's Health Magazine.’

The reveal brought much delight to his fellow co-hosts, with Matt Shirvington claiming that he ‘looks good’.

Sam admitted that the journey was no easy feat and admitted that the challenge began during his first few months as a dad. He said this was a time where ‘health and fitness takes a back seat’. However, he was determined to show everyone (especially new fathers) that with hard work, one can see the fruits of their labour within a reasonable amount of time.

You can learn more about Sam Mac’s body transformation story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Sunrise’s weather presenter Sam Mac is set to be replaced for a week by comedian Jimmy Rees.
  • Jimmy will be crossing live into Sunrise from various locations in Victoria.
  • Sam Mac is taking a break to spend time with his family.
  • Sam recently transformed his body for a Men's Health Magazine cover.
While we bid farewell to Sam Mac for a short while, we wish him a fabulous family holiday and look forward to his return!

Will you be tuning in to Sunrise over the next few weeks to check out their new weatherman? Is there a celebrity you'd like to see on Sunrise? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
When I read the headlines I thought Sam Mac had left for good, good way to get someone's attention

To be honest I have never heard of Jimmy Rees. They should have used Katy who usually fills in for Sam Mac...she is sweet and so naturally funny

Jimmy Rees made many hilarious videos during lockdown, giving the low-down on the state of the nation. He is als Jimmy Giggle from Giggle and Hoot, that was an excellent children's program, which my grandchildren enjoyed.

Never
There's always something exciting brewing in the world of television, and for those who watch Sunrise, a surprise shake-up is about to sweep in next week!

Say goodbye to Sam Mac and get ready to welcome Jimmy Rees as the new weather presenter for the TV show.

Renowned for his enthusiastic and ever-reliable weather reports, Sunrise's Sam Mac is taking a break (just for a week!) for some well-deserved family time with his partner Rebecca James and their baby daughter Margot before returning to the show.

In his stead, 35-year-old comedian Jimmy Rees will take over the weather reports.

Jimmy spoke to the show’s hosts to announce the news, saying that he’s ‘finally made it’ and that it’s ‘breaking news’.

View attachment 19173

‘I think I finally made it. Breaking news, I'm becoming the Sunrise weather guy all next week. I have no idea what you have planned for me,’ he joked.

He also stated he’s going to be visiting a few places in Victoria, where he will also be doing some live crossings.

‘I’m going to a primary school, thermal springs and yet-to-be-discussed other things that, hopefully, I can actually do,’ he continued.

Natalie Barr then revealed they planned a defensive driver course for him while he’s filling in for Sam Mac.

‘How hard can it be? I got something I want to say. I think the weather holds him back,’ he quipped.

‘I'll tell people just to look it up on their phone so I can keep going with the defensive driving course,’ he continued.

Jimmy is a former Kids TV host turned internet star. He received millions of views on his various social media platforms during lockdowns by sharing hilarious video commentaries on Australia’s COVID-19 border closures.

View attachment 19174

He also competed in the 16th season of Dancing with the Stars, starred in several theatre productions, and appeared in multiple Australian TV programs.

Last year, the son of iconic wildlife conservationist Steve Irwin, Robert Irwin, also took up the mantle for Sam Mac for a week while the weather presenter was on personal leave.

The 18-year-old, who also works as a wildlife conservationist, went on the show ahead of his gig and said he would be bringing his trademark enthusiasm to the role – much to the delight of the hosts.

It is unconfirmed what Sam’s plans are for his time off. However, reports have revealed that Rebecca and baby Margot are currently in Europe with the family. Rebecca has been sharing updates of the trip across Italy and France on her social media accounts.

Sam’s leave follows reports of his body transformation journey to getting in shape for his cover of Men’s Health Magazine.

The TV show host recently went through an eight-week body transformation and debuted his changed look during the weather segment on Sunrise last 31 March.

He shared: ‘A lot of our viewers have been writing to me over the past weeks asking “Have you lost weight – what's going on?”…Yes, I have lost weight. I've been training for the last two months, and I can reveal that I'm on the cover of Men's Health Magazine.’

The reveal brought much delight to his fellow co-hosts, with Matt Shirvington claiming that he ‘looks good’.

Sam admitted that the journey was no easy feat and admitted that the challenge began during his first few months as a dad. He said this was a time where ‘health and fitness takes a back seat’. However, he was determined to show everyone (especially new fathers) that with hard work, one can see the fruits of their labour within a reasonable amount of time.

Key Takeaways

• Sunrise’s weather presenter Sam Mac is set to be replaced for a week by comedian Jimmy Rees.
While we bid farewell to Sam Mac for a short while, we wish him a fabulous family holiday and look forward to his return!

Will you be tuning in to Sunrise over the next few weeks to check out their new weatherman? Is there a celebrity you'd like to see on Sunrise? Let us know in the comments below.
No way whilst Koches there

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci

View attachment 19173

View attachment 19174

Key Takeaways

For a moment I was delighted but then saw it was only for a week. Not a fan of Mac

View attachment 19173

View attachment 19174

Key Takeaways

Beloved? Really???? A person doing his job. I hope the person who wrote the headline, bestows the same title on their postie and garbo, their job is essential.

Maybe I'm biased but I only ever watch my son on ABC to get my weather information, after all he is an actual Meteorologist and actually prepares the reports himself and not just blindly reads what has been prepared for him. He also (when time allows) explains the reasons behind the weather.

Reactions: Gsr and Macarj
So Sam Mac is taking a weeks holiday….what’s all the fuss about, he is coming back.
No sure why it is news worthy…people take holidays all the time!!

View attachment 19173

View attachment 19174

Key Takeaways

I will certainly support anyone taking over from him. Sorry, but I just don’t like his self-promotion style. Wish it was full time.

View attachment 19173

View attachment 19174

Key Takeaways

did not take to the heading.

Reactions: Ricci