Sunrise presenter faces tough battle as she reveals health update on-air

In a moment that captured the hearts of viewers across the nation, Sunrise presenter Edwina Bartholomew delivered a personal and poignant announcement that left many in shock and awe of her courage.

The beloved television personality, known for her vibrant presence and engaging reporting, shared an intimate part of her life journey with the public, revealing her recent diagnosis.

Edwina, at 41, has been a familiar face on the Seven Network's breakfast program, bringing joy and news every morning.

She revealed she had been diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) during a live broadcast.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 7.58.24 AM.png
Sunrise presenter Edwina Bartholomew shared her health diagnosis on air. Credit: Sunrise / YouTube

Her announcement came as a shock to many, as she has been a part of viewers' daily routines, sharing in the nation's highs and lows.

'Now, a personal story to finish the bulletin,' she began, her voice steady until the weight of her words began to take hold.

'I have been diagnosed with cancer. That’s a shock to say and hard to say. It is a really good kind. It is called chronic myeloid leukemia. It can be treated with a daily tablet. If I can take care of myself, I will be completely fine,' she bravely disclosed.

She was first diagnosed in July, but she wanted to go public for ‘a couple of reasons’.

‘Firstly, because everyone at home has been here for all the wonderful times, for the engagements, and the weddings and the babies, for all of us. It felt right to share this with you too. Many of you have been in similar situations or much, much worse and come out the other side stronger...And more resilient. There’s exactly what I plan to do,’ she said.

‘I thought I could keep it together. I will. Secondly, the reason I’m telling you is because after I turned 40, I made the decision to prioritise my health. I got a skin check after Nat had her scare. I had a mammogram after I had a few lumps—that came back all clear. I even had an eye check—that’s fine.’

‘But my doctor sent me to get routine blood tests at the same time. One of those tests came back with levels out of whack,’ she added.

Despite experiencing no symptoms, routine blood tests revealed levels that were out of the ordinary, leading to her diagnosis.

The Sunrise team's emotional group hug at the end of the segment was a powerful display of solidarity and support.

Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow and is most commonly diagnosed in adults over the age of 40.

It's a condition that often develops so gradually that symptoms may not be apparent until it's discovered through routine testing.

Fortunately, advancements in medical treatments, such as tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs), have significantly improved the prognosis for those with CML, with five-year survival rates reaching as high as 90 per cent.

Edwina's revelation follows a similar announcement made by her co-star Nat Barr, who shared her own skin cancer diagnosis earlier.

As Edwina faces this new challenge, she does so with the support of her family, including her husband, Neil Varcoe and their two young children.

The couple has been pouring their hearts into a passion project, the restoration of a historic hotel, which symbolizes their commitment to building a legacy for their family.

While this diagnosis is a hurdle, Edwina met it with the same resolve and dedication she has shown in all aspects of her life.

You can watch Edwina’s announcement below:

Credit: Sunrise / YouTube

Key Takeaways
  • Sunrise presenter Edwina Bartholomew has shared the difficult news of her cancer diagnosis with viewers on-air.
  • She has been diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukaemia, a treatable form of cancer that can be managed with a daily tablet.
  • Bartholomew highlighted the importance of prioritising health and shared her story to encourage others and because she had shared other significant life events with viewers.
  • The Sunrise co-host is feeling positive and lucky about her prognosis, and the segment concluded with an emotional show of support from her co-hosts.
We wish Edwina Bartholomew all the best in her treatment and recovery and look forward to seeing her bright smile on our screens again soon.

Sponsored
I actually cried this morning watching sunrise.

Edwina has always been one of my favourites , I actually thought she would be the one to replace Samantha Armitage.

My thoughts and prayers 🙏 are with her and her family.

Edwina you got this !!! You will beat it with your strength and positive attitude.

Heaven already has too many Angels and we are keeping you .
xxx

Not a nice diagnosis for you Ms Bartholomew, but I know that with the support of family and friends you will give the best fight that you can and beat this nasty disease. All the best to you and your family.