Sunrise’s Natalie Barr shares epic quokka selfie fail

It's on the bucket list of almost every tourist who visits Rottnest Island in Western Australia – take a selfie with a quokka!

Competing with the likes of celebrities like Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Chris Hemsworth, Matt Damon, and Margot Robbie, Sunrise host Nat Barr attempted to join the ranks of #QuokkaSelfie fame… and hilariously failed.

Nat posted a video capturing the moments leading up to the attempt to Sunrise’s official social media page, in which she can be seen slinking close to the ground near a quokka's burrow.

The journalist crawled through the grass in a black and white striped dress, trying to stay as quiet as possible while approaching the elusive quokka nearby.

‘This is what it takes to get a double quokka selfie on Rottnest Island,’ the caption read.

1quokka.jpg
Quokkas can be found on Rottnest Island. Credit: Lachlan Ross/Pexels

‘You might not understand this but what I’m trying to do is get a quokka selfie,’ she said to the camera.

Nat then gets on her hands and knees and lies down on the grass so she can sneak up on her selfie subject.

‘We just have to wait a while,’ she said.

After waiting for a bit, she asks the camera operator if she should reverse over the quokka poo to get to the animal.

‘Here we can see him,’ she whispers to her selfie camera.

‘I am in the quokka environment,’ she adds.

nat.jpg
The TV presenter tried her best to get close to the animal. Credit: Sunriseon7/Instagram

‘I feel like David Attenborough…of the quokkas,’ she joked and stifled a laugh.

Nat then reverses to the quokka, but the little critter seems to be uninterested in Nat’s antics and turns away from her.

‘Am I close enough? No? Oh, it’s a selfie of his rear end,’ she narrated.

‘It’s not going to work,’ she whispers to the camera before giggling to herself.

‘Oh, he’s coming, he’s coming!’, she said and excitedly looked back…

Only to see the marsupial casually munching on the grass behind her.

‘No…he’s not,’ she tells the viewers.

nat2.jpg
Nat finally succeeded in taking a video selfie with the marsupials. Credit: Sunriseon7/Instagram

Despite the false alarm, Nat finally spotted a little space where there are two quokkas hanging around, seemingly interested in the reporter inching closer towards them.

‘Hey, guys! Look! Double Quokka selfie!’ Nat exclaimed.

Later on, Nat was asked if she got her selfie.

‘Look, so they pooed on me, like everywhere, but we got the selfie, so it was worth it!’ She proudly shared.

You can watch Natalie’s full video here.

Fans of the TV host and animal lovers alike loved the wholesome yet funny video and took to the comments to share their delight.

Even the official social media page of Western Australia commented on the video. ‘A celebrity in the presence of another celebrity! Totally worth it for the end result,’ they said.

‘That was fantastic, Nat. I loved your commitment…good job!’ One wrote.

Others couldn’t help but take a light jab at the TV host’s antics.

‘Couldn’t really see the quokkas, could you do that again?’ One quipped.

While someone else suggested that maybe she needed to enlist the help of one of the Hemsworth brothers to make the selfie ‘look easy’, referring to this photo here.

‘But your version is way more entertaining,’ they added.

Quokkas have long been a beloved animal, not just in Western Australia but around the world too! And because of social media, quokka selfies have now become an international phenomenon. This, in turn, promotes tourism and conservation efforts for the small marsupials.

Sadly, the species is now considered ‘vulnerable’ to extinction due to the loss and degradation of its habitat and predation by foxes and feral cats. The species’ distribution seems to be affected by climatic factors as well. The small wallaby-like marsupial is critically endangered; there are only about 7,500 to 15,000 quokkas left in the world, with most living on Rottnest Island.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Nat Barr had to tick off getting a quokka selfie from her bucket list during her visit to Rottnest Island, Australia.
  • Her hilarious attempts of trying to capture the shot resulted in her crawling on hands and knees and lying flat on the ground amongst quokka droppings.
  • With the assistance of her camera operator and a bit of luck, Nat Barr finally managed to get her coveted quokka selfie.
  • The amusing post was met with lots of love from fans.
We thought this was a cute story, wouldn’t you agree? Have you ever seen a quokka ‘in the flesh’? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
What a lot of faffing about. If you sit quietly they will come to you. They are inquisitive and hope you have some food. I have spent many happy holidays on Rottnest and love the little critters but they will make off overnight with anything that isn't put away properly! :) P1000013.JPG

What a lot of faffing about. If you sit quietly they will come to you. They are inquisitive and hope you have some food. I have spent many happy holidays on Rottnest and love the little critters but they will make off overnight with anything that isn't put away properly! :) View attachment 15034
I agree, it's not difficult to get a selfie with a quokka.

The important thing to remember is to NOT feed them!

It's on the bucket list of almost every tourist who visits Rottnest Island in Western Australia – take a selfie with a quokka!

Competing with the likes of celebrities like Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Chris Hemsworth, Matt Damon, and Margot Robbie, Sunrise host Nat Barr attempted to join the ranks of #QuokkaSelfie fame… and hilariously failed.

Nat posted a video capturing the moments leading up to the attempt to Sunrise’s official social media page, in which she can be seen slinking close to the ground near a quokka's burrow.

The journalist crawled through the grass in a black and white striped dress, trying to stay as quiet as possible while approaching the elusive quokka nearby.

‘This is what it takes to get a double quokka selfie on Rottnest Island,’ the caption read.

View attachment 12496

‘You might not understand this but what I’m trying to do is get a quokka selfie,’ she said to the camera.

Nat then gets on her hands and knees and lies down on the grass so she can sneak up on her selfie subject.

After waiting for a bit, she asks the camera operator if she should reverse over the quokka poo to get to the animal.

View attachment 12497
The TV presenter tried her best to get close to the animal. Credit: Sunriseon7/Instagram

Nat then reverses to the quokka, but the little critter seems to be uninterested in Nat’s antics and turns away from her.

‘It’s not going to work,’ she whispers to the camera before giggling to herself.

View attachment 12498
Nat finally succeeded in taking a video selfie with the marsupials. Credit: Sunriseon7/Instagram

Despite the false alarm, Nat finally spotted a little space where there are two quokkas hanging around, seemingly interested in the reporter inching closer towards them.

‘Look, so they pooed on me, like everywhere, but we got the selfie, so it was worth it!’ She proudly shared.

Fans of the TV host and animal lovers alike loved the wholesome yet funny video and took to the comments to share their delight.

Even the official social media page of Western Australia commented on the video. ‘A celebrity in the presence of another celebrity! Totally worth it for the end result,’ they said.

While someone else suggested that maybe she needed to enlist the help of one of the Hemsworth brothers to make the selfie ‘look easy’, referring to this photo here.

Quokkas have long been a beloved animal, not just in Western Australia but around the world too! And because of social media, quokka selfies have now become an international phenomenon. This, in turn, promotes tourism and conservation efforts for the small marsupials.

Sadly, the species is now considered ‘vulnerable’ to extinction due to the loss and degradation of its habitat and predation by foxes and feral cats. The species’ distribution seems to be affected by climatic factors as well. The small wallaby-like marsupial is critically endangered; there are only about 7,500 to 15,000 quokkas left in the world, with most living on Rottnest Island.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Nat Barr had to tick off getting a quokka selfie from her bucket list during her visit to Rottnest Island, Australia.
  • Her hilarious attempts of trying to capture the shot resulted in her crawling on hands and knees and lying flat on the ground amongst quokka droppings.
  • With the assistance of her camera operator and a bit of luck, Nat Barr finally managed to get her coveted quokka selfie.
We thought this was a cute story, wouldn’t you agree? Have you ever seen a quokka ‘in the flesh’? Let us know in the comments.
Natalie

View attachment 12496

View attachment 12497

View attachment 12498

Key Takeaways

Natalie need to trim those nose hair's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Ricci