Sudden price hike on bottled water leads to surprising discovery: ‘I'm being penalised if I recycle at home?’

One of the most important sustainable living practices we can do is reducing, reusing and recycling—especially when it comes to packaging materials, such as plastic bottles and cans.

To get us all into recycling, state governments have introduced container deposit schemes.

However, it seems Aussies weren’t prepared for the way this was going to affect their budget.

The new container deposit scheme rewards recyclers with a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle they dispose of.

But one disgruntled shopper complained on social media about the sudden price hike on a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which he bought for $10.50.

40-price-rise-in-9-days-v0-jjb2g1lksiyb1.png
The price increase of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles sparked outrage on social media. Credit: u/farqueue2 / Reddit

'I paid $7.50 just nine days ago,' he said.

'That's a 40 per cent price rise in just over a week.'

He posted two images of his receipts from different Woolworths stores in Melbourne, showing the price of the water was $7.50 on October 27, then surged to $10.50 on Sunday.

Some users told the shopper to drink tap water instead and stop ‘whinging about a couple of dollars.’ However, other users said the higher price was likely because of Victoria’s new Container Deposit Scheme (CDS).

Victoria’s CDS was launched last 1 November, which aimed to increase recycling while providing consumers with a ‘convenient and accessible’ way to dispose of their used products.

Victoria was the latest state to implement CDS. South Australia implemented its own CDS in 1977, quickly followed by NSW in 2017, Queensland in 2018, and Western Australia in 2020.

A spokesperson for the Victorian government said, ‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry. It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed this was the reason for the price hike, saying it had been ‘working through the implementation of the container deposit scheme with our supply partners’.

'The shelf price has increased to $10.50 in line with the shelf price in other states that have already adopted container deposit schemes, which has been communicated to customers in our stores,' they said regarding the Nu Pure Spring Water pack.

The spokesperson also added that the product would be available at a special rate 'over the months ahead'.

Despite the consequences of the well-meaning effort, some could not help but air their disappointment.

One customer complained, 'I thought I'd like a refund scheme instead of just recycling all at home, but now I'm being penalised if I recycle at home and drinks are more expensive? I don't like it anymore.'

Key Takeaways
  • Victoria's new container deposit scheme (CDS), which offers a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle returned for recycling, has seemingly caused price rises in Woolworths.
  • The shopper complained about the sudden increase in the price of a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which jumped from $7.50 to $10.50 within a week.
  • The retailer confirmed that the scheme is impacting prices and added that they have been working through its implementation with their supply partners.
  • Some customers have expressed frustration at the scheme's impact on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home when prices of beverages are also increasing.

Other supermarket giants are also taking the step towards changing waste management. In a previous story, Coles supermarket began installing a new type of machine to insert empty drinks and receive a 10-cent refund instantly. Read more about the story here.

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
We only use our tank water for drinking, so no need to have it plumbed to the house, wouldn't waste it for showers, washing dishes laundry etc. so it doesn't really require a very large tank.
At least we have decent water to drink.
Ever tried Adelaide tap water? It's that hard you can almost stand a spoon up in it. Getting a lather with shampoo is an impossible task without using half the bottle!

One of the most important sustainable living practices we can do is reducing, reusing and recycling—especially when it comes to packaging materials, such as plastic bottles and cans.

To get us all into recycling, state governments have introduced container deposit schemes.

However, it seems Aussies weren’t prepared for the way this was going to affect their budget.

The new container deposit scheme rewards recyclers with a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle they dispose of.

But one disgruntled shopper complained on social media about the sudden price hike on a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which he bought for $10.50.

View attachment 34097
The price increase of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles sparked outrage on social media. Credit: u/farqueue2 / Reddit

He posted two images of his receipts from different Woolworths stores in Melbourne, showing the price of the water was $7.50 on October 27, then surged to $10.50 on Sunday.

Some users told the shopper to drink tap water instead and stop ‘whinging about a couple of dollars.’ However, other users said the higher price was likely because of Victoria’s new Container Deposit Scheme (CDS).

Victoria’s CDS was launched last 1 November, which aimed to increase recycling while providing consumers with a ‘convenient and accessible’ way to dispose of their used products.

Victoria was the latest state to implement CDS. South Australia implemented its own CDS in 1977, quickly followed by NSW in 2017, Queensland in 2018, and Western Australia in 2020.

A spokesperson for the Victorian government said, ‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry. It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed this was the reason for the price hike, saying it had been ‘working through the implementation of the container deposit scheme with our supply partners’.

'The shelf price has increased to $10.50 in line with the shelf price in other states that have already adopted container deposit schemes, which has been communicated to customers in our stores,' they said regarding the Nu Pure Spring Water pack.

The spokesperson also added that the product would be available at a special rate 'over the months ahead'.

Despite the consequences of the well-meaning effort, some could not help but air their disappointment.

One customer complained, 'I thought I'd like a refund scheme instead of just recycling all at home, but now I'm being penalised if I recycle at home and drinks are more expensive? I don't like it anymore.'

Key Takeaways

• Victoria's new container deposit scheme (CDS), which offers a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle returned for recycling, has seemingly caused price rises in Woolworths.
  • The shopper complained about the sudden increase in the price of a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which jumped from $7.50 to $10.50 within a week.
  • The retailer confirmed that the scheme is impacting prices and added that they have been working through its implementation with their supply partners.
  • Some customers have expressed frustration at the scheme's impact on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home when prices of beverages are also increasing.

Other supermarket giants are also taking the step towards changing waste management. In a previous story, Coles supermarket began installing a new type of machine to insert empty drinks and receive a 10-cent refund instantly. Read more about the story here.

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!
Th
I’ve been drinking tap water all my life and “I’m still alive and kicking” ducky quack quack🦀and at 65 i’ve still got my own teeth.😁oh and I remember when kids our parents used to give us fluoride tablets before it was introduced into the water.😊

This is exactly what happened in NSW, when it was introduced some years ago. Its an oxymoron to call it Return and Earn. Its return and get less back than you paid. As for tap water, I have a plumbed in water filter. Gets out all the crap including the fluoride. I was informed by an engineer, attached to water infrastructure, the fluoride in tablets is different to whats added to the water supply. I will stick with his advice.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

years

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

Ever tried Adelaide tap water? It's that hard you can almost stand a spoon up in it. Getting a lather with shampoo is an impossible task without using half the bottle!
Yes, lived in SAon three occasions over the years, twice in Murray Bridge and once in Victor Harbor
Each house we bought had water tanks plumbed to the house.

Th

This is exactly what happened in NSW, when it was introduced some years ago. Its an oxymoron to call it Return and Earn. Its return and get less back than you paid. As for tap water, I have a plumbed in water filter. Gets out all the crap including the fluoride. I was informed by an engineer, attached to water infrastructure, the fluoride in tablets is different to whats added to the water supply. I will stick with his advice.

years
Really how interesting research coming up.thanks🤔

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

Buy a water filter. We have to cut our use of plastics.

The prices of bottled water is very expensive when one needs to drink lots so as not to get dehydrated as tap water is too chlorinated in some areas.
A Few years ago we invested in a Brtta water filters and never looked back since. Don't need bottled water any more and no need for recycling as no more bottles, the filtered water tastes much better than tap water too. SDC you might looking into this for your promotions. I am just a user of Britta and love it
April did you receive my email?
Britta is best!

What is wrong with tap water? Added fluoride
When I boil my water for my tea or coffee I store the excess in my glass waterjug in the fridge.

Hence as my tapwater is boiled which gets rid of the fluoride taste.

I do NOT like to drink leached plastic from plastic bottles.

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

As a South Australian, believe me the effect on family budget is negligible. OK the bottle cost is included at purchase, but you get it back if you're sensible and return containers to recycling depots.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

So you pay a bit more, but take the bottles back and receive a refund,better than nothing and does a LOT for the environment.

When I boil my water for my tea or coffee I store the excess in my glass waterjug in the fridge.

Refrigerated tap water in glass bottles has no fluoride taste. Also if you use metal drink bottles, no plastic taste and it keeps the water nice and cold.

All drinks not just water increased at point of sale when these schemes were introduced, that's why it's called a refund scheme. More profit for shops if consumers don't cash in their cans/bottles. There's got to be a kick back for the govt here somewhere.

Refrigerated tap water in glass bottles has no fluoride taste. Also if you use metal drink bottles, no plastic taste and it keeps the water nice and cold.
Fluoride has no taste at all anyway it’s flavourless. Maybe it’s in your mind.😁

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
Th

years
Just looked it up fluoride in water is better than taking fluoride tablets.interesting😁

There are not too many people out there who don't have family or friends to help. Some charities pick up if you want to donate the refund
If you managed to buy the bottles in the first place then you should be able to return them, unless you have home delivery.
Water is water. Instead of making excuses find a solution. Even if your tap water isn't the best, boil it and then chill it
My daughter soaks the bottles in Milton and uses them over and over with tap water.
There's always a solution
Wow, you REALLY are out of touch! Do you have ANY idea how people are out there without friends and family to help them? No wonder there are so many lonely people out there when people keep their heads in the sand. Yes, people do have the water home-delivered because they cannot get to shops.
Boiling tap water does NOT make it drinkable if you have bad water in the first place, as well as wasting a lot of electricity. You should be grateful you seem to have good water and not berate people who don't. Also did you not read that you cannot use tap water in a CPAP machine?
No one is, as you rudely stated, "making excuses", but maybe you could try a less combative and more compassionate approach when commenting on issues you luckily do not have to face.

Last edited:

Fluoride is tasteless don’t know what your tasting look it up do your research😁

[QUUOTE="siameezer, post: 333426, member: 20098"]
Wow, you REALLY are out of touch! Do you have ANY idea how people are out there without friends and family to help them? No wonder there are so many lonely people out there when people keep their heads in the sand. Yes, people do have the water home-delivered because they cannot get to shops.
Boiling tap water does NOT make it drinkable if you have bad water in the first place, as well as wasting a lot of electricity. You should be grateful you seem to have good water and not berate people who don't. Also did you not read that you cannot use tap water in a CPAP machine?
No one is, as you rudely stated, "making excuses", but maybe you could try a less combative and more compassionate approach when commenting on issues you luckily do not have to face.
[/QUOTE]
And you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about.
I am not lacking in compassion
, as stated earlier I take an elderly lady shopping with me as she has a disability and can't get to the shops and the shops in our small country town are too expensive. I also pick her up once a week and bring her to my place for coffee and a chat. And it's not as if I have a lot of time to spare as I am full time carer for both my husband and my intellectually disabled daughter.
And no I don't have decent water, I live in the Wheatbelt in WA, we have a tank and we boil the water.
When we don't have water we have to pay to have it delivered and people
are grizzling about 10cents on a bottle. Try paying to have your water delivered then you'd have something to complain about.
There are people who can help in different areas, you just need to ask. Check with local Councils, disabiliity service agencies like Mabel, etc
Get proactive.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

How dumb do you think your readers are SDC?? This CDS nonsense re price hikes, etc., happened 3 - 4 years ago and you're only reporting now?