Sudden price hike on bottled water leads to surprising discovery: ‘I'm being penalised if I recycle at home?’

One of the most important sustainable living practices we can do is reducing, reusing and recycling—especially when it comes to packaging materials, such as plastic bottles and cans.

To get us all into recycling, state governments have introduced container deposit schemes.

However, it seems Aussies weren’t prepared for the way this was going to affect their budget.

The new container deposit scheme rewards recyclers with a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle they dispose of.

But one disgruntled shopper complained on social media about the sudden price hike on a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which he bought for $10.50.

40-price-rise-in-9-days-v0-jjb2g1lksiyb1.png
The price increase of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles sparked outrage on social media. Credit: u/farqueue2 / Reddit

'I paid $7.50 just nine days ago,' he said.

'That's a 40 per cent price rise in just over a week.'

He posted two images of his receipts from different Woolworths stores in Melbourne, showing the price of the water was $7.50 on October 27, then surged to $10.50 on Sunday.

Some users told the shopper to drink tap water instead and stop ‘whinging about a couple of dollars.’ However, other users said the higher price was likely because of Victoria’s new Container Deposit Scheme (CDS).

Victoria’s CDS was launched last 1 November, which aimed to increase recycling while providing consumers with a ‘convenient and accessible’ way to dispose of their used products.

Victoria was the latest state to implement CDS. South Australia implemented its own CDS in 1977, quickly followed by NSW in 2017, Queensland in 2018, and Western Australia in 2020.

A spokesperson for the Victorian government said, ‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry. It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed this was the reason for the price hike, saying it had been ‘working through the implementation of the container deposit scheme with our supply partners’.

'The shelf price has increased to $10.50 in line with the shelf price in other states that have already adopted container deposit schemes, which has been communicated to customers in our stores,' they said regarding the Nu Pure Spring Water pack.

The spokesperson also added that the product would be available at a special rate 'over the months ahead'.

Despite the consequences of the well-meaning effort, some could not help but air their disappointment.

One customer complained, 'I thought I'd like a refund scheme instead of just recycling all at home, but now I'm being penalised if I recycle at home and drinks are more expensive? I don't like it anymore.'

Key Takeaways
  • Victoria's new container deposit scheme (CDS), which offers a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle returned for recycling, has seemingly caused price rises in Woolworths.
  • The shopper complained about the sudden increase in the price of a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which jumped from $7.50 to $10.50 within a week.
  • The retailer confirmed that the scheme is impacting prices and added that they have been working through its implementation with their supply partners.
  • Some customers have expressed frustration at the scheme's impact on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home when prices of beverages are also increasing.

Other supermarket giants are also taking the step towards changing waste management. In a previous story, Coles supermarket began installing a new type of machine to insert empty drinks and receive a 10-cent refund instantly. Read more about the story here.

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
It's not just water, it's everything. The supermarkets are taking people for a complete ride. Cereal, meat, baked beans you name it, they've hiked it under the guise of transportation costs etc etc yet they've all managed to post unconscionable exorbitant profits. That makes them liars.
How can super markets justify these increases. Milo just went up a $1.50 a large tin (at Coles) If there is 6 tins in a carton that is an increase of $9 per carton. Increase of transport? Rubbish! Another example of Gouging. Unfortunately we a are forced to use the supermarkets because the little guy has gone.

One of the most important sustainable living practices we can do is reducing, reusing and recycling—especially when it comes to packaging materials, such as plastic bottles and cans.

To get us all into recycling, state governments have introduced container deposit schemes.

However, it seems Aussies weren’t prepared for the way this was going to affect their budget.

The new container deposit scheme rewards recyclers with a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle they dispose of.

But one disgruntled shopper complained on social media about the sudden price hike on a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which he bought for $10.50.

View attachment 34097
The price increase of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles sparked outrage on social media. Credit: u/farqueue2 / Reddit

He posted two images of his receipts from different Woolworths stores in Melbourne, showing the price of the water was $7.50 on October 27, then surged to $10.50 on Sunday.

Some users told the shopper to drink tap water instead and stop ‘whinging about a couple of dollars.’ However, other users said the higher price was likely because of Victoria’s new Container Deposit Scheme (CDS).

Victoria’s CDS was launched last 1 November, which aimed to increase recycling while providing consumers with a ‘convenient and accessible’ way to dispose of their used products.

Victoria was the latest state to implement CDS. South Australia implemented its own CDS in 1977, quickly followed by NSW in 2017, Queensland in 2018, and Western Australia in 2020.

A spokesperson for the Victorian government said, ‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry. It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed this was the reason for the price hike, saying it had been ‘working through the implementation of the container deposit scheme with our supply partners’.

'The shelf price has increased to $10.50 in line with the shelf price in other states that have already adopted container deposit schemes, which has been communicated to customers in our stores,' they said regarding the Nu Pure Spring Water pack.

The spokesperson also added that the product would be available at a special rate 'over the months ahead'.

Despite the consequences of the well-meaning effort, some could not help but air their disappointment.

One customer complained, 'I thought I'd like a refund scheme instead of just recycling all at home, but now I'm being penalised if I recycle at home and drinks are more expensive? I don't like it anymore.'

Key Takeaways

• Victoria's new container deposit scheme (CDS), which offers a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle returned for recycling, has seemingly caused price rises in Woolworths.
  • The shopper complained about the sudden increase in the price of a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which jumped from $7.50 to $10.50 within a week.
  • The retailer confirmed that the scheme is impacting prices and added that they have been working through its implementation with their supply partners.
  • Some customers have expressed frustration at the scheme's impact on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home when prices of beverages are also increasing.

Other supermarket giants are also taking the step towards changing waste management. In a previous story, Coles supermarket began installing a new type of machine to insert empty drinks and receive a 10-cent refund instantly. Read more about the story here.

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!

The poor people in African countries sometimes have to travel considerable distances to get a bucket of muddy water and all we do is whinge about our first world problems.
I live in the country also, why don't you instal a tank?? Would have been a much better option.
We were not aware of the problem with the water supply before building our home here, we do not have the room on our block to put in a water tank big enough for the household needs and even if we could squeeze one in somewhere (very unlikely) re-doing the plumbing to accommodate the change would cost us an arm and a leg.

Reactions: siameezer
We were not aware of the problem with the water supply before building our home here, we do not have the room on our block to put in a water tank big enough for the household needs and even if we could squeeze one in somewhere (very unlikely) re-doing the plumbing to accommodate the change would cost us an arm and a leg.
We only use our tank water for drinking, so no need to have it plumbed to the house, wouldn't waste it for showers, washing dishes laundry etc. so it doesn't really require a very large tank.
At least we have decent water to drink.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Some people are missing the point. This won't just affect bottled water. All beverages will increase in price. This could also mean a windfall for council recycling as the recycling companies will be able to redeem our refund. So the customer ends up paying higher prices for their drinks, paying for the recycling bin to dispose of the containers and paying recycling companies to receive to take our refund.

Reactions: siameezer
Don't believe a word of it. It's designed to force up prices.. luckily I do not buy anything that comes in a recyclable container or attracts a $0.10 c refund. Stuff them and their cockamamie schemes.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and

experience in the comments below!
Just drink tap water

Reactions: IAN3005
Some people are missing the point. This won't just affect bottled water. All beverages will increase in price. This could also mean a windfall for council recycling as the recycling companies will be able to redeem our refund. So the customer ends up paying higher prices for their drinks, paying for the recycling bin to dispose of the containers and paying recycling companies to receive to take our refund.
The point is that in the states wbere this recycling has already been happening for years, the countryside is void of all the cans that the yobbos throw out the car window.
Some of the cretins probably still do it, but now kids pick them up and cash them in
Our grandkids take a bag with them when they walk the dog and pick up any cans and bottles they find and we take them to the recycle station when they have a good supply.
Other states have been doing this for years, it's not such a drama, people love to make mountains out of molehills. So you pay extra and then you get it back, apart from the extra that the supermarkets gouge out if it, but that's par for the course.
If it's a drama for people to get them to a container station, then just put them in your recycle bin and forget the refund, your choice. If you can afford to buy soft drinks, beer, etc then you won't miss the 10cenrs on each can.
It's happening, so stop whinging there are far worse things happening in the world.
It's only the States where they have been dragging their feet over the litter problem for years that people are complaining, the rest of us moved on years ago.

Reactions: IAN3005

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

I wonder how many people-shoppers- out there have noticed that the size of Woolworths green trolleys has become smaller than the previous steel ones. The reason for the change is simple and involves industrial psychology. If the trolly size is reduced, and the prices raised at the same time, it looks as though you are filling your (GREEN) trolley with the same amount of product while prices are still rising. It is a simple ploy that makes you move from the smaller trolly to the larger model so that you, the customer, THINK that you are getting more for the dearer price.

I wonder how many people-shoppers- out there have noticed that the size of Woolworths green trolleys has become smaller than the previous steel ones. The reason for the change is simple and involves industrial psychology. If the trolly size is reduced, and the prices raised at the same time, it looks as though you are filling your (GREEN) trolley with the same amount of product while prices are still rising. It is a simple ploy that makes you move from the smaller trolly to the larger model so that you, the customer, THINK that you are getting more for the dearer price.
If you're stupid!!!

The prices of bottled water is very expensive when one needs to drink lots so as not to get dehydrated as tap water is too chlorinated in some areas.
A Few years ago we invested in a Brtta water filters and never looked back since. Don't need bottled water any more and no need for recycling as no more bottles, the filtered water tastes much better than tap water too. SDC you might looking into this for your promotions. I am just a user of Britta and love it
April did you receive my email?

The point is that in the states wbere this recycling has already been happening for years, the countryside is void of all the cans that the yobbos throw out the car window.
Some of the cretins probably still do it, but now kids pick them up and cash them in
Our grandkids take a bag with them when they walk the dog and pick up any cans and bottles they find and we take them to the recycle station when they have a good supply.
Other states have been doing this for years, it's not such a drama, people love to make mountains out of molehills. So you pay extra and then you get it back, apart from the extra that the supermarkets gouge out if it, but that's par for the course.
If it's a drama for people to get them to a container station, then just put them in your recycle bin and forget the refund, your choice. If you can afford to buy soft drinks, beer, etc then you won't miss the 10cenrs on each can.
It's happening, so stop whinging there are far worse things happening in the world.
It's only the States where they have been dragging their feet over the litter problem for years that people are complaining, the rest of us moved on years ago.
IT'S ok to pick up bottles and cans... at least you are making money.....

Price of water went up $3. My maths for 24 bottles at 10 cents each makes increase required $2.40 . No wonder prices have gone through the roof. Seems their pricing system is way different to ours. Now you know the real reason for inflation
It's only 20 bottles not 24, so increase should only be $2.00. Not $3.00.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

They try to con people by saying the Victorian scheme is funded by the beverage industry which downright lie, it's financed by the public purchasing the items the beverage industry does not lay out a cent.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

South Australia implemented this in 1977 QUICKLY FOLLOWED BY NSW in 2017 😂😂😂

It always amazes me how one word becomes so overused "HIKE" us to mean a very large increase now if something goes up a couple of cents it's a hike not a rise or increase case in point interest rate goes up 25 basis points that is now called a hike used to be called an increase
And 25 basis points used to be called 0.25%. What dimwit invented the term "basis points"?

Will we have 40000 metres an hour school zone speed limits next? Get real!

I understand Woolies has to increase prices for new and upgraded technology but 40% hike? It's not just infrastructure, Woolies brand Belgian chocolate blocks were $2.19 for months then in one week went to $2.75!
Eighteen months ago, Woolies generic sugar free cola was 75 cents for a 1.25 L bottle. Now it's $1.20! That's an increase of 45 cents per bottle which equates to a 60% increase on the old price. Still a third of the price of the Coca Cola equivalent price.