Sudden price hike on bottled water leads to surprising discovery: ‘I'm being penalised if I recycle at home?’

One of the most important sustainable living practices we can do is reducing, reusing and recycling—especially when it comes to packaging materials, such as plastic bottles and cans.

To get us all into recycling, state governments have introduced container deposit schemes.

However, it seems Aussies weren’t prepared for the way this was going to affect their budget.

The new container deposit scheme rewards recyclers with a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle they dispose of.

But one disgruntled shopper complained on social media about the sudden price hike on a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which he bought for $10.50.

40-price-rise-in-9-days-v0-jjb2g1lksiyb1.png
The price increase of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles sparked outrage on social media. Credit: u/farqueue2 / Reddit

'I paid $7.50 just nine days ago,' he said.

'That's a 40 per cent price rise in just over a week.'

He posted two images of his receipts from different Woolworths stores in Melbourne, showing the price of the water was $7.50 on October 27, then surged to $10.50 on Sunday.

Some users told the shopper to drink tap water instead and stop ‘whinging about a couple of dollars.’ However, other users said the higher price was likely because of Victoria’s new Container Deposit Scheme (CDS).

Victoria’s CDS was launched last 1 November, which aimed to increase recycling while providing consumers with a ‘convenient and accessible’ way to dispose of their used products.

Victoria was the latest state to implement CDS. South Australia implemented its own CDS in 1977, quickly followed by NSW in 2017, Queensland in 2018, and Western Australia in 2020.

A spokesperson for the Victorian government said, ‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry. It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed this was the reason for the price hike, saying it had been ‘working through the implementation of the container deposit scheme with our supply partners’.

'The shelf price has increased to $10.50 in line with the shelf price in other states that have already adopted container deposit schemes, which has been communicated to customers in our stores,' they said regarding the Nu Pure Spring Water pack.

The spokesperson also added that the product would be available at a special rate 'over the months ahead'.

Despite the consequences of the well-meaning effort, some could not help but air their disappointment.

One customer complained, 'I thought I'd like a refund scheme instead of just recycling all at home, but now I'm being penalised if I recycle at home and drinks are more expensive? I don't like it anymore.'

Key Takeaways
  • Victoria's new container deposit scheme (CDS), which offers a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle returned for recycling, has seemingly caused price rises in Woolworths.
  • The shopper complained about the sudden increase in the price of a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which jumped from $7.50 to $10.50 within a week.
  • The retailer confirmed that the scheme is impacting prices and added that they have been working through its implementation with their supply partners.
  • Some customers have expressed frustration at the scheme's impact on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home when prices of beverages are also increasing.

Other supermarket giants are also taking the step towards changing waste management. In a previous story, Coles supermarket began installing a new type of machine to insert empty drinks and receive a 10-cent refund instantly. Read more about the story here.

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
What’s wrong with your tap water 💦 that’s all I drink.i can’t imagine paying for water it’d cost me a fortune the amount I drink in a day.💦
WE live in a regional area and our tap water is appalling, The taste is terrible you can actually see little floaty bits in it, We forked out to get whole of house water filtration installed and regretted it within months as the filters were not strong enough to remove the horrible taste. I am thinking of going back to bottled water as I am currently drinking less than half the amount of water per day that I used to drink before moving here, dehydration is becoming a problem.

Reactions: siameezer
One of the most important sustainable living practices we can do is reducing, reusing and recycling—especially when it comes to packaging materials, such as plastic bottles and cans.

To get us all into recycling, state governments have introduced container deposit schemes.

However, it seems Aussies weren’t prepared for the way this was going to affect their budget.

The new container deposit scheme rewards recyclers with a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle they dispose of.

But one disgruntled shopper complained on social media about the sudden price hike on a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which he bought for $10.50.

View attachment 34097
The price increase of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles sparked outrage on social media. Credit: u/farqueue2 / Reddit

He posted two images of his receipts from different Woolworths stores in Melbourne, showing the price of the water was $7.50 on October 27, then surged to $10.50 on Sunday.

Some users told the shopper to drink tap water instead and stop ‘whinging about a couple of dollars.’ However, other users said the higher price was likely because of Victoria’s new Container Deposit Scheme (CDS).

Victoria’s CDS was launched last 1 November, which aimed to increase recycling while providing consumers with a ‘convenient and accessible’ way to dispose of their used products.

Victoria was the latest state to implement CDS. South Australia implemented its own CDS in 1977, quickly followed by NSW in 2017, Queensland in 2018, and Western Australia in 2020.

A spokesperson for the Victorian government said, ‘Victoria's Container Deposit Scheme is funded by the beverage industry. It will reduce litter by up to half and contribute to the circular economy through increased recycling.’

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed this was the reason for the price hike, saying it had been ‘working through the implementation of the container deposit scheme with our supply partners’.

'The shelf price has increased to $10.50 in line with the shelf price in other states that have already adopted container deposit schemes, which has been communicated to customers in our stores,' they said regarding the Nu Pure Spring Water pack.

The spokesperson also added that the product would be available at a special rate 'over the months ahead'.

Despite the consequences of the well-meaning effort, some could not help but air their disappointment.

One customer complained, 'I thought I'd like a refund scheme instead of just recycling all at home, but now I'm being penalised if I recycle at home and drinks are more expensive? I don't like it anymore.'

Key Takeaways

• Victoria's new container deposit scheme (CDS), which offers a 10-cent refund for every can and bottle returned for recycling, has seemingly caused price rises in Woolworths.
  • The shopper complained about the sudden increase in the price of a 20-pack of Nu Pure Spring Water bottles, which jumped from $7.50 to $10.50 within a week.
  • The retailer confirmed that the scheme is impacting prices and added that they have been working through its implementation with their supply partners.
  • Some customers have expressed frustration at the scheme's impact on drink prices, feeling penalised for recycling at home when prices of beverages are also increasing.

Other supermarket giants are also taking the step towards changing waste management. In a previous story, Coles supermarket began installing a new type of machine to insert empty drinks and receive a 10-cent refund instantly. Read more about the story here.

What do you think about the story? Have you tried recycling using the CDS? Share your thoughts and experience in the comments below!

WE live in a regional area and our tap water is appalling, The taste is terrible you can actually see little floaty bits in it, We forked out to get whole of house water filtration installed and regretted it within months as the filters were not strong enough to remove the horrible taste. I am thinking of going back to bottled water as I am currently drinking less than half the amount of water per day that I used to drink before moving here, dehydration is becoming a problem.
The poor people in African countries sometimes have to travel considerable distances to get a bucket of muddy water and all we do is whinge about our first world problems.
I live in the country also, why don't you instal a tank?? Would have been a much better option.

Reactions: Littleboy8
The price was $7.50 for 20 bottles. It then increased to $10.50 for the same 20 bottles.
If it was only for the CDS scheme, it would amount to 20 times $0.10, therefore $2.00 per 20 bottle pack. But NO, it actually rose by $3.00, which is CDS + 50%. WHY? Who gets the extra $1.00 per pack. Now I believe the supermarket pays the 10 cents per unit when they purchase, so why pass on a further 50% profit on the CDS on top of that? CDS is not a commodity that warrants a profit margin. Supermarket pays the 10 cents and receives it back immediately the item is sold. Hence the wording Container Deposit Scheme. It should not be legal to make a profit on a deposit scheme, after all, it is here to help keep the place clean.

I understand Woolies has to increase prices for new and upgraded technology but 40% hike? It's not just infrastructure, Woolies brand Belgian chocolate blocks were $2.19 for months then in one week went to $2.75!

I don't find it necessary to buy water when it comes out of a tap.
As I don't like the taste of our WA water, I filter it in a filter jug, fill my own drink bottles (not plastic) and put them in the fridge.

Reactions: Agave
I buy the Coles brand water or the Costco water . I buy the 1.5 litre bottle.

I also have 3 x 15 litre bottles delivered every two weeks for our water cooler. I don't buy the small bottles , that is where the cost is.
My kids and hubby fill their bottles up using the water cooler

Hubby used the return bottle machines but we now have a man collect them for 9c instead of 10c but we save with petrol and time.
He doesn't count them he takes your word plus he supplies the large bags to put them it.

I m actually the only one in ny family who drink tap water not the bottled water. I only drunk bottled water only when I'm out n about
I like the fizzy mineral water cans with the fruit essence. The price shot up in the last week or two. If I see it on special I stock up but failing that I drink the water plain using my soda stream.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

SA has had a container deposit scheme for donkey's years, so long I've no idea whether purchase prices are affected. Very effective with bottle depots all over the place. Includes cardboard containers as well as plastic and glass, but not wine bottles nowadays although they used to fetch 1c.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

I complained to my local Woolworths for the very same reason. The pack of 20x 500ml mineral water )(Woolworths brand) jumped from $9.50 to $12.00 in a week. The employee I spoke to said it was in line with cost of living, but CPI is not nearly 30% in a week.

You can buy cheap water filters on ebay. Mine cost around $30. Doing this reduces the plastic bottles, and if more people started using filters you wouldn't have to bitch the price of the water.
TWO PROBLEMS SOLVED.

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

As far as I am concerned bottled water is just tap water that has been filtered and sometimes other shit is added.... But the only good reason to drink it is when on holiday in countries that have nothing more than contaminated water as no one wants constant doses of Deli Belly type problems....

Reactions: Ann Head
What’s wrong with your tap water 💦 that’s all I drink.i can’t imagine paying for water it’d cost me a fortune the amount I drink in a day.💦
Exactly. If you're all that uptight about a price increase in bottled water -- and who's to say it actually IS spring water -- why not buy just one bottle (or maybe two to have one as a stand-by), drink that and fill up the empties with your own tap water?
Or, if you REALLY want to lairise, why not buy a bottle of that Icelandic H2O that's supposedly made of "melted glacier ice", refill that with plain ol' Strayan tap water and perch it in plain view on the coffee shop table? Just think -- you'll be the only one who knows!

• Haha
Reactions: Ann Head
I actually refilled four bottles that my son bought and put them in the fridge. I usually have a jug of chilled tap water.
My doggy wash lady asked for a drink of water, I gave her one of the
bottles, after which she thanked me and commented how much better bottled water was than tap water.
Silly twit had just drank tap water, didn't know the difference. All in the mind I think
Exactly - and if you are woried about quality - boil it first. Beginning to wonder just how old some of these readers are - older ones have known that for years - and do not waste money on buying bottles.

• Angry
Not everybody has good tap water sadly. Also, I have a CPAP machine and sometimes distilled or demineralised water is hard to get so I need to have bottled water on hand as that is the next best thing (though not as good as the previous two mentioned). You will ruin your humidifier and machine if you use tap water in it.
Our tap water stinks when coming out of the tap all you smell is the chemicals council puts in , I am unable to drink it as I almost throw up just having it in my mouth. I have tank water which I filter .

I have never wasted money on bottled water. It has always come right out of the tap. I can understand some people in remote country areas having to buy bottled water and I feel for them, but in years gone by water ONLY came out of a tap. There are a lot of worse things we are ingesting daily just by eating and drinking without knowing their purity. So what’s the big deal about buying bottled water and wasting money? Get over it; we’re all seniors on this forum and almost 100 percent of us have grown up drinking tap water. And I’m now 78 yeas old and still kicking.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I have never wasted money on bottled water. It has always come right out of the tap. I can understand some people in remote country areas having to buy bottled water and I feel for them, but in years gone by water ONLY came out of a tap. There are a lot of worse things we are ingesting daily just by eating and drinking without knowing their purity. So what’s the big deal about buying bottled water and wasting money? Get over it; we’re all seniors on this forum and almost 100 percent of us have grown up drinking tap water. And I’m now 78 yeas old and still kicking.
Once upon a time. like all good fairy stories start out, we spent some time opal mining in Lightning Ridge. The bore water in that area was called "Liquid Laxettes" by the locals -- for all I know, it still is -- for a very good reason. But let it stand overnight and there was nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: Littleboy8
The day they introduced the $0.10 deposit, the charge for bags, I stopped buying anything that attracted the refund....I refuse to be scammed

Some need to look up the meaning of the word"refund" You pay 10 cents and get it back when you return the item. If it is not returned you get nothing. If you have a bag beside your waste bin and put them in it when you put out other rubbish what time are you wasting? You go shopping - combine the recycling with that. Oh sorry - you are so busy you do not have a spare 5 minutes - stop whinging . The streets and highways are much cleaner in recycle states and kids can earn a little extra money - every dollar helps these days.
Treat the cause and not the symptom.....

View attachment 34097

Key Takeaways

I fail to understand why people do not drink tap water. It is better for you (fluoridated & sterilised) and about 2,000% cheaper.