Stylish or unprofessional? Gen Z employees are dressing ‘sexy’ at work

Once upon a time, showing even a little bit of skin could warrant a ‘daring’ lady to be completely shunned by society. But over the years, people have gradually welcomed different forms of self-expression, including fashion trends.

However, when it comes to a professional setting, what’s considered appropriate to wear may still vary from one person to another. Recently, younger generations are ditching traditional office wear and flaunting ‘sexy’ outfits in the office…

On TikTok, there are thousands of videos tagged as ‘#workoutfits’ that show Gen Z employees and young Millennials showing off raunchy office attire comprised of short skirts, sheer tops, and sweats.

While these outfit choices would have once merited a warning from HR for being ‘too casual’ or ‘provocative’ for work, the modern dilemma has left people divided.

IKKqemBJ6EIfRu8mMqJXec75b5qIjmerav2JiL2paG2-CHJigQzVkf_HfKx5NKT4y11PW9ZaJX--KCAsen0rY-U9IvEK5Ujw6DbWC3oA33AWUMBzWWkraP-Tz5Ag4knfZk3AGqWHiVALz1lBeR4l3siSbo4SDouLVQ21ffM57-kaMCayPcCPAjZkFA
vXOrZZoJbd1PWXp4k8EFSNySIUx4zTCEU0FbnRxp-iYcZEzxIc1m2IBZihw7d1NW3MeRQouN53meyFK0socc4pxqWwXvTMP4MHmfDagdg1dYyrrIgsPCzqkNjs9jkdnPSn0_5199a0z2MBFShRk-chgDjoC0AlkGaflGkdHUxGzQD9n76zocPtGwuQ

Gen Zers workplace outfits. Source: @daniklaric, @ciciunderwear

Dani Klarić, who is a young interior decorator and creative director, proudly shared her workday outfit in a recent TikTok video and instantly went viral for all the wrong reasons.

The outfit in question featured a white miniskirt, an unbuttoned short-sleeve shirt that revealed a lacy yellow bra underneath, and a pair of sheer yellow thigh-high socks.

‘If I had a corporate job, this is how I would dress for work. Who’s going to stop me?’ she captioned her post, which has amassed over 200,000 likes and 2 million views.

While Dani received massive backlash for being ‘out of touch’, many came to her defence and argued that dress codes are ‘outdated’.

‘I understand dress codes, but I think they have become outdated.’ Keely Bouroncle, a 31-year-old with a corporate job said.

Source: @daniklaric

Keely shared that she likes showing off her figure with form-fitting clothing in bright colours, adding that it shouldn’t matter what she wears so long as she’s getting her work done.

‘How a person chooses to dress is a statement of themselves. I want to look good so that I feel good.’ she continued.

Those working in Human Resources have also noticed the bold shift in workplace fashion.

‘I have noticed a few issues among younger people.’ said David Bradshaw, President of an outsourcing HR firm.

He detailed that the younger team members dress ‘too casually’.

Cindy O’Peka, with O’Peka Human Resources and Consulting in California, has long been in favour of more relaxed dress codes in the office, but she also thinks that the new generation seems more clueless than conscious about their choice of work outfits.

She revealed that some outfits worn by younger employees are much more ‘appropriate for clubbing’ than in a professional setting.

Source: @prettycritical

‘I think they might actually feel like they are dressing up because that’s also what they wear when they go out.’ the 41-year-old said.

Meanwhile, popular clothing brands have been quickly adapting to the trend. An LA-based clothing brand, Reformation, previously caused a stir online after advertising their ‘work edit’ clothing range, featuring models in ‘office-ready’ strappy dresses, cropped blazers, and short shorts.

The marketing was slammed by thousands online, with one TikTok user commenting that the outfits were ‘not a good idea’.

fosOGmda-B7VegEA6D8DCRP39NnXcTc-VyGy1sqjPwZCXIbp4k3X5YB-NfGekmAIo2oey3DAqGZyiwmahZq2mPyqGpjrqfmXdhcCvsBXxkmbvKpjZII6y5bqdtzJ4Pb2o1mwF9Bu5fUtYDqXhQhACjyXzSzZynf3sVwcpx84VR4O3SgFxb_OEiqGcw
4qsNGS4AXR0pQB1n9t0KbUAKJrsmGLFdKdC3KJDQOEr9jfTvkuITVMeXOPh2tf3iPBuARBQU7JD3TzQHSci28a17G-HmQHoUZOKezc0h82BZuhLvCA6zB7fi_30b2dEJ6FVQsCoX3S0JlQi_WrB44zYjyHgUXUcboDBuqKJYFazYJbA9ogYV1OOWCQ

Dressing ‘casually’ for work is apparently trendy. Source: @amyfuchsiashaw

Suzanne Smallshaw, the Senior Director of Fashion and Styling at Rent the Runway – a company that rents designer apparel and accessories – shared that as workers return to the office, they’ve noticed the number of rentals of traditional ‘business formal’ attire drop to almost half of what it was before the COVID-19 pandemic.

‘They’re saying goodbye to the basic black suit or sheath. Instead, they are opting for more printed, bold options as they return to the office.’ Smallshaw said.

But the experts said some companies aren’t fighting the cropped blazers and midriffs, and they’re just letting employees wear ‘pretty much what they want’ as a ‘perk’.

‘Expression is very important in some industries – especially the creative industries.’ Bradshaw continued.

‘People want to bring not just their work to the table, but their personality and their style and their creativity.’

What are your thoughts about risqué workplace outfits? Should dress codes be a thing of the past? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Once upon a time, showing even a little bit of skin could warrant a ‘daring’ lady to be completely shunned by society. But over the years, people have gradually welcomed different forms of self-expression, including fashion trends.

However, when it comes to a professional setting, what’s considered appropriate to wear may still vary from one person to another. Recently, younger generations are ditching traditional office wear and flaunting ‘sexy’ outfits in the office…

On TikTok, there are thousands of videos tagged as ‘#workoutfits’ that show Gen Z employees and young Millennials showing off raunchy office attire comprised of short skirts, sheer tops, and sweats.

While these outfit choices would have once merited a warning from HR for being ‘too casual’ or ‘provocative’ for work, the modern dilemma has left people divided.

IKKqemBJ6EIfRu8mMqJXec75b5qIjmerav2JiL2paG2-CHJigQzVkf_HfKx5NKT4y11PW9ZaJX--KCAsen0rY-U9IvEK5Ujw6DbWC3oA33AWUMBzWWkraP-Tz5Ag4knfZk3AGqWHiVALz1lBeR4l3siSbo4SDouLVQ21ffM57-kaMCayPcCPAjZkFA
vXOrZZoJbd1PWXp4k8EFSNySIUx4zTCEU0FbnRxp-iYcZEzxIc1m2IBZihw7d1NW3MeRQouN53meyFK0socc4pxqWwXvTMP4MHmfDagdg1dYyrrIgsPCzqkNjs9jkdnPSn0_5199a0z2MBFShRk-chgDjoC0AlkGaflGkdHUxGzQD9n76zocPtGwuQ

Dani Klarić, who is a young interior decorator and creative director, proudly shared her workday outfit in a recent TikTok video and instantly went viral for all the wrong reasons.

The outfit in question featured a white miniskirt, an unbuttoned short-sleeve shirt that revealed a lacy yellow bra underneath, and a pair of sheer yellow thigh-high socks.

‘If I had a corporate job, this is how I would dress for work. Who’s going to stop me?’ she captioned her post, which has amassed over 200,000 likes and 2 million views.

While Dani received massive backlash for being ‘out of touch’, many came to her defence and argued that dress codes are ‘outdated’.

‘I understand dress codes, but I think they have become outdated.’ Keely Bouroncle, a 31-year-old with a corporate job said.

Keely shared that she likes showing off her figure with form-fitting clothing in bright colours, adding that it shouldn’t matter what she wears so long as she’s getting her work done.

‘How a person chooses to dress is a statement of themselves. I want to look good so that I feel good.’ she continued.

Those working in Human Resources have also noticed the bold shift in workplace fashion.

‘I have noticed a few issues among younger people.’ said David Bradshaw, President of an outsourcing HR firm.

Cindy O’Peka, with O’Peka Human Resources and Consulting in California, has long been in favour of more relaxed dress codes in the office, but she also thinks that the new generation seems more clueless than conscious about their choice of work outfits.

She revealed that some outfits worn by younger employees are much more ‘appropriate for clubbing’ than in a professional setting.

‘I think they might actually feel like they are dressing up because that’s also what they wear when they go out.’ the 41-year-old said.

Meanwhile, popular clothing brands have been quickly adapting to the trend. An LA-based clothing brand, Reformation, previously caused a stir online after advertising their ‘work edit’ clothing range, featuring models in ‘office-ready’ strappy dresses, cropped blazers, and short shorts.

The marketing was slammed by thousands online, with one TikTok user commenting that the outfits were ‘not a good idea’.

fosOGmda-B7VegEA6D8DCRP39NnXcTc-VyGy1sqjPwZCXIbp4k3X5YB-NfGekmAIo2oey3DAqGZyiwmahZq2mPyqGpjrqfmXdhcCvsBXxkmbvKpjZII6y5bqdtzJ4Pb2o1mwF9Bu5fUtYDqXhQhACjyXzSzZynf3sVwcpx84VR4O3SgFxb_OEiqGcw
4qsNGS4AXR0pQB1n9t0KbUAKJrsmGLFdKdC3KJDQOEr9jfTvkuITVMeXOPh2tf3iPBuARBQU7JD3TzQHSci28a17G-HmQHoUZOKezc0h82BZuhLvCA6zB7fi_30b2dEJ6FVQsCoX3S0JlQi_WrB44zYjyHgUXUcboDBuqKJYFazYJbA9ogYV1OOWCQ

Suzanne Smallshaw, the Senior Director of Fashion and Styling at Rent the Runway – a company that rents designer apparel and accessories – shared that as workers return to the office, they’ve noticed the number of rentals of traditional ‘business formal’ attire drop to almost half of what it was before the COVID-19 pandemic.

‘They’re saying goodbye to the basic black suit or sheath. Instead, they are opting for more printed, bold options as they return to the office.’ Smallshaw said.

But the experts said some companies aren’t fighting the cropped blazers and midriffs, and they’re just letting employees wear ‘pretty much what they want’ as a ‘perk’.

‘Expression is very important in some industries – especially the creative industries.’ Bradshaw continued.

‘People want to bring not just their work to the table, but their personality and their style and their creativity.’

What are your thoughts about risqué workplace outfits? Should dress codes be a thing of the past? Let us know in the comments below!

Most companies have 'dress protocol' rules - however it is getting harder to enforce. Agree casual is taking over but flaunting all the skin seems to be getting a bit out of hand. Maybe some personalities just weren't meant to go into an office?

If they work in a young person's shop eg cotton On , I guess it's ok

If you work in any other place , Myers , Reception, office , supermarkets ect then NO you need to be more conservative

You need to abide by work dress rules.

I worked in bridal and if a staff member dressed like this our customers would not have trusteours in selecting their wedding dresses.

They same they feel beautiful dressing like this , would they also dress like this for a funeral ?

There is a place and time for all dress codes

It is a privilege to have a good job where you are paid well, the least employees can do is show respect for the company,s dress code/policy. it shows respect for society generally. It is not all about the individual.

When You work for a company You represent them. The dress code or even the uniform, informs the public, but more importantly other business partners, of the company's expectations. If the company expects individuals to shine, they could allow individuality in dress. Most companies don't expect you to be on show. they expect you to dress for the job and showcase the business. Your work clothes should also be safe for the type of job. So I'm thoroughly annoyed with this self-indulgent fashion-setting concept of work clothing. And the only reasons they are not being challenged is because of the risk of media exposure or accusations of discrimination. I hope this trend is not allowed to continue.

I hate.......just hate it when women expose half their top. If only they realised how tacky it looks. Having breast implants doesn't help either....they feel they have to show them off but it has the opposite effect. Keep them hidden!

Same goes for mini skirts....thought they went out in the 70's. Exposing too much flesh makes them look cheap. Looks at the WAG's on award nights. Splits up to tops of thighs and necklines nearly meeting up....tacky!!!

showing of ones figure is fine but no one really wants to see what you had for breakfast, lunch or dinner, thank goodness I am retired and no longer have to put up with all this anymore

No standards!

The wearer may think they are sexy but in my opinion, I think they are trashy and not suitable for work wear

Sorry, can't take any of these outfits seriously - they look like children dressing up. Can't imagine this would go down well in a work environment when serious issues are being discussed - too distracting for all the wrong reasons. Definitely not sexy - too much in your face. Sexy is subtle, These outfits are ok for clubbing, but not really appropriate for an office environment.

Some young women don't understand how a man is affected visually by what they are wearing. People say we shouldn't blame a woman who is sexually assaulted for what she's wearing but if she really knew how a man's brain worked she'd take more care in protecting her body from the eyes of men who don't know how to resist temptation.

By the way, those yellow socks are knee high, not thigh high!

With any outfit, but especially office or work wear, I like to say that less is more. Less skin, less makeup, less jewelry. Banana girl in the yellow themed outfit looks ridiculous. Why would you show your bra and therefore part of your boobs at work. And her skirt is so very short, that when she bends over in those sheer g string panties, people would probably be "treated" to an unwanted eyeful of her buttocks. Okay, dress codes shouldn't have to be so strict that people are expected to dress like they did in Victorian times. But by the same token, people should not dress so casually or in such revealing clothes, that they are seen as a poor representation of the company they work for. I don't know why this article is only focusing on women, as men are also employees, and are also at times guilty of fashion crimes.