Struggling to survive: How vulnerable Aussies cope live on just $6 a day

It's distressing to hear that vulnerable Australians are resorting to extreme measures in response to a horrifying cost-of-living crisis. This troubling news will resonate with many of our members, as well as those younger generations now becoming increasingly aware of the current financial pressures faced by countless Aussies.

According to a recent report from The Salvation Army, many vulnerable Aussies are forced to live on a mere $6 a day. As a result, thousands are driven to desperate actions in attempts to make ends meet.

1684304884390.png

A staggering 93% of people reaching out to The Salvation Army for support within the past year are grappling with affording basic day-to-day necessities. After paying for essential expenses like housing, food, utilities, health, and fuel, the average Australian barely has any money to spare, let alone save.

This study also unveiled that half of the 1,700 respondents surveyed could not afford essential healthcare. Additionally, 52% of individuals confessed to skipping meals in an effort to save money, while 75% endured housing stress.

The Salvation Army's secretary for the mission, Stuart Glover, explained that the cost-of-living crisis is making survival practically impossible for some Australians without assistance.

He stated: 'Everyone is doing it tough at the moment, but for those who were already struggling, the cost-of-living crisis is making it almost impossible for them to survive without help.'

Captain Glover further noted a significant increase in everyday Australians falling through the cracks over the last year. He shared that some individuals who used to volunteer with The Salvation Army are now turning to them for help.

Households with children are particularly hit hard by financial pressures, with 75% living below the poverty line. Shockingly, nearly a quarter of these households cannot afford medical or dental appointments for their children, and one in five parents are having difficulty providing their kids with three meals a day.

Parents' heart-wrenching accounts shared with The Salvation Army depict the harsh realities they face due to escalating housing expenses and inflation at the checkout. In one case, a 55-year-old mother mentioned losing 40 kg in just nine months, as she spent all her money keeping a roof over her children's heads.

Similarly, another parent stated: 'I eat the leftover food from my child’s meal, if there is any, or I just don’t eat. I wait at the school car park from drop-off until pick-up if I’m short on fuel. I have sold most of my own clothing to buy my children clothes.'

The Salvation Army is urging Australians who can afford to, to contribute generously to the Red Shield Appeal. As Captain Glover emphasised: 'The need is greater than ever before.'

The Salvos are often the last resort for numerous Australians facing hardships. They endeavour to lend a helping hand no matter the circumstances, ensuring that no one has to endure their struggles in solitude.

Government Assistance Programs for Low-Income Households​

The Australian Government offers a variety of support programs to help citizens cope with tough financial situations. Low-income earners can access several initiatives such as the Low-Income Health Care Card, JobSeeker Payment, Rent Assistance and a range of other subsidies and benefits. By taking advantage of these options, Australians can receive a helping hand to support everyday necessities and pay for essential bills.

Another avenue of assistance available is the Reduced Cost Prescription Drug Program, which offers free or heavily discounted prescription medications for those who meet the eligibility criteria. This program ensures all Australians, regardless of their financial situation, are able to access the medicine they need.

Key Takeaways
  • Vulnerable Australians are living on less than $6 a day amid a cost-of-living crisis.
  • Over the past year, 93% of people who reached out to The Salvation Army for support have been struggling to afford day-to-day necessities.
  • The research found that 52% of people are skipping meals to save money, and 75% are suffering from housing stress.
  • The Salvation Army is urging Australians who can afford it to support the Red Shield Appeal, as the need is greater than ever before.

We encourage our members and readers to be aware of this ongoing crisis and help those in need whenever possible. Whether it's donating to the Red Shield Appeal, volunteering your time or engaging with local initiatives, every effort makes a difference in the lives of those struggling in our communities. And for any members who are in need of assistance, please reach out to The Salvation Army; they are there to help.

Sponsored
I commend the Salvation Army. They do such a terrific job, and just go about it without a fanfare.
They have support services, counselling and crisis accommodation not far from me. It's always busy there.
Those guys need donations at this time of the year going into winter.

Tomorrow I receive my Aged Pension. Three standard deductions occur immediately e.g. rent, electricity, funeral plan. This fortnight I have to set aside money for a pink slip for the car. $850 spent on day one. The remainder covers all other costs, principally food & medicines for the rest of the fortnight. I tell myself to be grateful for a roof over my head & food in my stomach but tomorrow I will make my fortnightly visit to Anglicare Food Pantry for a few staples to supplement next weeks shopping.

I have t say that as an aged pensioner, I am finding the cost of living to be somewhat strangling. I do not own my home and have a private rental, I also do not own a car which on the odd occasion is a little inconvenient but I get around very well on public transport. Sometimes I need a little extra help and my friends are wonderful there. I am sorry but I have trouble sympathizing with people who own a car and complain about the cost of running it. Use public transport for goodness sake. It's a very good system and can get you where you want to go very cheaply without too much trouble. My travel costs are about $500.00 per annum which is tiny in comparison to running a car (not to mention depreciation). I get to visit my close friends in Canberra several times a year for free and can upgrade to First Class on the train for a mere $20.00 return. Come on people, yes the cost of living is going up but if you are a bit creative you can help with that for all of us not just yourselves.

I have t say that as an aged pensioner, I am finding the cost of living to be somewhat strangling. I do not own my home and have a private rental, I also do not own a car which on the odd occasion is a little inconvenient but I get around very well on public transport. Sometimes I need a little extra help and my friends are wonderful there. I am sorry but I have trouble sympathizing with people who own a car and complain about the cost of running it. Use public transport for goodness sake. It's a very good system and can get you where you want to go very cheaply without too much trouble. My travel costs are about $500.00 per annum which is tiny in comparison to running a car (not to mention depreciation). I get to visit my close friends in Canberra several times a year for free and can upgrade to First Class on the train for a mere $20.00 return. Come on people, yes the cost of living is going up but if you are a bit creative you can help with that for all of us not just yourselves.
Mr Chips, I hope you didn’t think I was complaining about having to put money aside this fortnight for a pink slip. I need my car as I care for my older brother & I need to be able to get him to medical appointments comfortably. He cannot walk any distance including to bus stops. I agree public transport is handy & I used it exclusively for over 2 years from my home to Canberra & to the Blue Mts to care for my brother.

Reactions: Liz and Ezzy
You are lucky you can access public transport. Most country towns have very few daily bus or train services, if you live out of the towns you go nowhere unless you own a car. Owning a car is an expensive cost of living but for a lot of people who live outside the major cities and towns there is no other option.

Mr Chips, I hope you didn’t think I was complaining about having to put money aside this fortnight for a pink slip. I need my car as I care for my older brother & I need to be able to get him to medical appointments comfortably. He cannot walk any distance including to bus stops. I agree public transport is handy & I used it exclusively for over 2 years from my home to Canberra & to the Blue Mts to care for my brother.
No Capsam, nothing intentional toward you. I would say however that Community Transport is very good at providing transportation for invalid persons with medical issues. I used them for nearly 2 years recently.

You must be kidding my husband and I are on disability pension and carers pension and we have our granddaughter live with us.
We are lucky to have $100.00 per week to do groceries once we have paid all of our bills. The only reason we use or car is to go to the Dr's, hospital appointments, and to take and pick her up from school. We do this because she has really bad social anxiety, so she won't catch public transport, we are so very lucky that she goes to school. I really wish we could get more in our pensions so that we could eat a bit better.

Reactions: Defiant540
You must be kidding my husband and I are on disability pension and carers pension and we have our granddaughter live with us.
We are lucky to have $100.00 per week to do groceries once we have paid all of our bills. The only reason we use or car is to go to the Dr's, hospital appointments, and to take and pick her up from school. We do this because she has really bad social anxiety, so she won't catch public transport, we are so very lucky that she goes to school. I really wish we could get more in our pensions so that we could eat a bit better.
You should be getting a Family Assistance Allowance for your granddaughter, and I commend you for taking her on, it is very hard to raise your own children and then be required to turn around later in life and start again.

I saw that FB Post and replied to that person with suggestions on how to save. She did not say whether that $6.00 was per person per day which is exactly how I read it. The $6.00 per day/per person is high and is achievable with home cooked meals and even homemade treats. It can be done with a bowl of cereal like corn flakes and some sliced banana. Take two adults and two children = $24.00 per day. Easy and with some baked chicken, veggies & roast potatoes and gravy, some desert, sandwiches for children and some lunch (left over chicken & veggies) for adults next day for office meals. Stir Fries. Spaghetti Bolognese precooked from scratch = $1.20 for sauce. Rissoles. Homemade pizzas on Lebanese bread.

People, please buy whole fresh chickens from Woolworths deli section when on sale for $3.50-$5.00 on sale and get them home and cut them up and deskin yourself. Freeze in portions. I do this all the time. Plus, Woollies often has drumsticks on sale in the deli section for $2.50-$3.50 on sale. Just get a few kilos and take home and do a big cook in batches with various sauces, then freeze 1-2 portions. I pull these out of freezer and into the microwave and have a meal ready in seconds. I cook rice & pasta in bulk and freeze in portions, ready for microwave. Cost per drumstick when on sale depending on average size = $0.70 each. Serve per cut up whole chicken equals $0.70-$1.00 each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Chips
Unfortunately, not everyone has close access to public transport.
My closest access is a train which only runs twice a day, and that is over 100kms away
The nearest regular public transport is almost two hours drive away.
Not all of us can do without a car.

Unfortunately, not everyone has close access to public transport.
My closest access is a train which only runs twice a day, and that is over 100kms away
The nearest regular public transport is almost two hours drive away.
Not all of us can do without a car.
Yes, I do agree that people located in areas such as yours are at a disadvantage and a car is a necessity. Mainly though my comments were more directed to the many suburban people who actually have great services easily available to them.