Strange new playground equipment is dividing social media - what do you think?

We all know that times have changed a lot and one of the biggest changes has been in children's playgrounds.

Gone are the days when all you could find was one squeaky swing and a metal slide that got so hot in the summer, it always burnt your legs!

Nowadays, public parks and playgrounds are more like amusement parks, with fancy flying foxes, multi-story climbing gyms and sensory stations for kids to enjoy.

However, not everyone is happy about this change – as evidenced by the recent uproar over a new piece of equipment installed in a NSW public park.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 12.33.36 PM.png
A strange new addition to a playground in Sydney has sparked discussion on a forum website. Credit: Reddit/buckleup2000.

Taking to Reddit, a local in the western Sydney area of Canterbury Bankstown shared their confusion, posting a picture of what appears to just be three wooden pillars stuck in the ground.

'This appeared in the playground in my local area,' they wrote. 'What is it for? And is it a good swap for swings? The redesign of the playground is now complete, so it's not something half done.'

People were quick to speculate as to what the poles might actually be used for, with some suggesting that they actually serve a very important purpose.

'Whenever you see random things like this that don't seem to do anything in a playground, they're for "creative play",' commented one user. 'Kids can hit them, climb them, hide behind them, run around them, whatever. Doesn't matter.'

'The idea is that if everything in the playground has a set way that you're supposed to engage with it, kids are then limited in how they can use their imaginations. Random stuff gives them a chance to do whatever without an adult being able to say they're doing it wrong.'

Another person agreed and shared: 'I remember as a kid, sometimes you just wanted a solid post or a wall you could throw balls at, use as a cricket stump etc. I definitely support this.'

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 12.31.36 PM (1).png
Some have voiced concerns that the wooden pillars pose a risk to children who may attempt to climb or jump on them. Credit: Pexels/Antonius Ferret.

However, others raised concerns over the potential safety risks caused by the upright logs, with one user imagining children could attempt to jump off one of the trunks and get seriously injured as a result.

One user even went so far as to describe the poles as a 'scar for life' that was just waiting to happen!

There were also several jokes made at the expense of the local council, with one person writing that the poles could be used to 'impale heretics alive' and another suggesting they'd be 'pee attractors' for pet dogs.

The City of Canterbury Bankstown Council has been contacted for comment, but no response has been received as of this writing.
Key Takeaways

• A new playground in Sydney, Australia, has been met with confusion by locals due to its inclusion of three wooden pillars.
  • People have suggested that the pillars are for 'creative play' and that they offer children a chance to use their imaginations.
  • However, others have raised concerns over the potential safety risks posed by the pillars.
So, members, what do you think is the purpose of this new playground equipment? Do you think it's a good idea? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Liz, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I live in canterbury Bankstown Area and these were the biggest waste of money.

We were only having a discussion saying council needs to fix a couple of parks and I laughed my head off at these 3 ridiculous wooden stumps when I saw them on telly but as soon as I heard it was my council my laughing turned to anger.

Why spend money on these stupid useless things.

I know they paid a large am ammount for these. At least they could have made them shorter and closer together than they could have been used as cricket stumps.

They have removed so much playground equipment saying it was dangerous! Well what do they think these will be. They will be used for children to climb and either fall off or jump off.

Theses will be used to urinate on I can see it .

I will take the grandkids to the park soon and take pictures of what they use them for

We all know that times have changed a lot and one of the biggest changes has been in children's playgrounds.

Gone are the days when all you could find was one squeaky swing and a metal slide that got so hot in the summer, it always burnt your legs!

Nowadays, public parks and playgrounds are more like amusement parks, with fancy flying foxes, multi-story climbing gyms and sensory stations for kids to enjoy.

However, not everyone is happy about this change – as evidenced by the recent uproar over a new piece of equipment installed in a NSW public park.

View attachment 9660
A strange new addition to a playground in Sydney has sparked discussion on a forum website. Credit: Reddit/buckleup2000.

Taking to Reddit, a local in the western Sydney area of Canterbury Bankstown shared their confusion, posting a picture of what appears to just be three wooden pillars stuck in the ground.

'This appeared in the playground in my local area,' they wrote. 'What is it for? And is it a good swap for swings? The redesign of the playground is now complete, so it's not something half done.'

People were quick to speculate as to what the poles might actually be used for, with some suggesting that they actually serve a very important purpose.

'Whenever you see random things like this that don't seem to do anything in a playground, they're for "creative play",' commented one user. 'Kids can hit them, climb them, hide behind them, run around them, whatever. Doesn't matter.'

'The idea is that if everything in the playground has a set way that you're supposed to engage with it, kids are then limited in how they can use their imaginations. Random stuff gives them a chance to do whatever without an adult being able to say they're doing it wrong.'

Another person agreed and shared: 'I remember as a kid, sometimes you just wanted a solid post or a wall you could throw balls at, use as a cricket stump etc. I definitely support this.'

View attachment 9658
Some have voiced concerns that the wooden pillars pose a risk to children who may attempt to climb or jump on them. Credit: Pexels/Antonius Ferret.

However, others raised concerns over the potential safety risks caused by the upright logs, with one user imagining children could attempt to jump off one of the trunks and get seriously injured as a result.

One user even went so far as to describe the poles as a 'scar for life' that was just waiting to happen!

There were also several jokes made at the expense of the local council, with one person writing that the poles could be used to 'impale heretics alive' and another suggesting they'd be 'pee attractors' for pet dogs.

The City of Canterbury Bankstown Council has been contacted for comment, but no response has been received as of this writing.
Key Takeaways

• A new playground in Sydney, Australia, has been met with confusion by locals due to its inclusion of three wooden pillars.
  • People have suggested that the pillars are for 'creative play' and that they offer children a chance to use their imaginations.
  • However, others have raised concerns over the potential safety risks posed by the pillars.
So, members, what do you think is the purpose of this new playground equipment? Do you think it's a good idea? Let us know in the comments below!
Are they totems: Poles for telling the story of the local indigenous nations? If so, why aren't they painted with the totems or spirit animals of the local indigenous nations?

Reactions: Ricci
I don’t like that they have taken out climbing structures from playgrounds. Children need to explore and work out how to do things, we complain about them not getting enough exercise. My grandchildren love the monkey bars and climbing on things boys and girls to much cotton wool care these days.

I agree with most of what has been written above, but wonder how many of you take the time or make the effort to attend a Local Council Meeting to voice your concerns?

Only by being proactive are you heard

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I agree with most of what has been written above, but wonder how many of you take the time or make the effort to attend a Local Council Meeting to voice your concerns?

Only by being proactive are you heard
I have and council really ignores the little people unless you are there in large numbers shouting.

Seriously they should put it in a newsletter things like this as well as the cost.
Something better would have been not to put our rates up.

Are they totems: Poles for telling the story of the local indigenous nations? If so, why aren't they painted with the totems or spirit animals of the local indigenous nations?
I would like to know the dimensions of the poles, both height and width. can they be climbed. Will leave judgement until Advised.

Reactions: Ricci
It's funny...they pulled out all the green wood play equipment (because kids might get poisoned...who can remember chewing on a tree when they went to the playground????😜) ones that kids could climb up and on and over... and now put in 3 'stumps'.... what kind of play does that inspire???

And how much 3 'stumps' cost to put there!!
Well, for starters, council wouldn't be digging the holes manually. They'd require a large team of people to oversee them being dug by an auger attachment on a skid-steer loader. People to erect signs and barriers and close of roads. Trucks to bring the equipment and personnel. A truck to take the soil away and one to bring the ready-mixed concrete. A site foreman, engineers to consult and draw up plans, bureaucrats to rubber stamp them. A mayor to attend a ceremony and cut a ribbon. And so on. Not including the cost of the timber. Tens of thousand of dollars would be a minimum. Whereas, your average citizen would do it for a carton of beer. This is why our rates are so damn high. Paying for unnecessary $h!t.

Well, for starters, council wouldn't be digging the holes manually. They'd require a large team of people to oversee them being dug by an auger attachment on a skid-steer loader. People to erect signs and barriers and close of roads. Trucks to bring the equipment and personnel. A truck to take the soil away and one to bring the ready-mixed concrete. A site foreman, engineers to consult and draw up plans, bureaucrats to rubber stamp them. A mayor to attend a ceremony and cut a ribbon. And so on. Not including the cost of the timber. Tens of thousand of dollars would be a minimum. Whereas, your average citizen would do it for a carton of beer. This is why our rates are so damn high. Paying for unnecessary $h!t.
You are so bloody right!!! 👍👍✔️