Strange markings in letterboxes could spell trouble

Members, we've heard reports that residents around Australia have been finding strange letterbox markings, such as numbers, letters or symbols, and this could spell trouble.

So far there's speculation that these mysterious markings are a 'thief's code', warning other criminals that your home is unprotected by security systems, is empty during the day or that there are no animals inside – allowing people to break in.

To make matters worse, recently an Adelaide resident posted about a new set of markings on their letterbox specifically. It was the number '369' written at the top.

The homeowner isn't sure as to why it's there, but it's causing them a great deal of concern.

'There isn't a logical reason for this other than marking for future theft,' one of the comments on their post said. 'People just don't tag letterboxes for any other reason. It isn't worth the effort unless it has a purpose.'

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.14.34 AM.png
The Adelaide resident shared this photo of the letterbox marking they recently discovered. Credit: Reddit.

There are other concerns, too. If you've recently discovered new markings in your letterbox, drain pipes, or fence posts, it's imperative that you take action immediately. These seemingly innocuous signs could indicate potential danger lurking just around the corner.

As we highlighted in a previous article, criminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their methods. They don't just randomly choose their targets - they 'case' a house first, carefully studying the patterns of those who live there. They'll watch your every move, looking for the perfect opportunity to strike.

This means that homes are being scrutinised in ways you may never have imagined. They can monitor someone’s every move, from the time they leave for a supermarket run to the moment they return.

They keep an eye out for alarm systems, dogs, and other security measures that might deter them from attempting a break-in.

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.14.28 AM.png
It has been reported that thieves sometimes 'mark' residences of interest with something, such as a graffiti symbol, or some lines and letters. Credit: Reddit.

But that's not all. Criminals are also using secret symbols and codes to communicate with each other. Letters like 'NT' and 'S' and other markings have been spotted on properties all over the country.

These may seem harmless, but they could be a sign that your home is being targeted by criminals who are communicating with each other about the best time to strike.

Don't wait until it's too late - be vigilant and protect your property now.

We urge you to take extra precautions and keep a keen eye out for any theft-related markings. If they resemble any of what is mentioned above, we urge you to act fast and address this straight away.

We suggest you report these markings and/or remove them immediately. A great way to stay safe is also to remain alert.

To be extra careful, contact your local authorities and provide them with the details of the markings you've found. At the very least, this will give you peace of mind.

Credit: ACTPolicing.

To make sure your property is safe from criminals, here are some tips to keep in mind:

1. Make sure to lock all of your doors and windows, even when you're inside your home, to help prevent break-ins.

2. If you're looking for a cheap and quick way to secure your windows or sliding doors, try using a piece of dowel in the runner instead of a lock. This can be just as effective.

3. Did you know that most homes that get broken into don't have a security alarm? By installing an alarm system, you can help protect your home. Plus, there are different features available to fit a range of budgets.

4. Consider placing stickers and signs around your home to warn potential burglars of an alarm system, a dog, or a neighbourhood watch program.

5. Installing sensor lights that turn on with movement can be a great way to deter thieves and increase your home's security.

6. Don't forget to check your outside lights, windows, and door locks on a regular basis to ensure that they're all functioning properly.

7. Keep your garden tools packed away and locked up in a shed or garage to prevent them from being used to break into your home.

8. Keeping your yard well-maintained and trimming hedges and bushes regularly can make it easier for neighbours to see your front and backyard. This can also help prevent thieves from being able to hide on your property.

Key Takeaways

• An Adelaide homeowner has found unexplained numbers on the top of their letterbox.
  • The markings have been widely claimed to be part of a 'thief's code', providing information to would-be criminals in the area.
  • The markings may indicate whether the home has a security system or dogs and if it is occupied during the day.
  • Letters such as 'NT' and 'S', as well as various lines are said to be of particular significance, with 'NT' standing for 'No Threat'.

If you suspect that a burglary has occurred in your area, you can reach out for help in several ways:

Contact the police

The first step you should take is to contact the police. You can call the emergency number Triple Zero (000) if it's an ongoing crime or a crime in progress, or you can call the non-emergency number (131 444) to report a crime that has already occurred.

Contact Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers is an anonymous reporting service that allows members of the public to provide information about crimes without revealing their identity. You can call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online at their website.

Check local news sources

Local news sources, such as newspapers and online news websites, may report on recent crimes in your area. You can also check social media groups or forums for your local community to see if anyone has posted about recent incidents.

If you suspect a break-in has occurred in your area, here's what you need to do_.jpg

Stay safe always, members! Remember, it's always best to be prepared and protect your home and property as much as you can. But if you do come across any suspicious markings or behaviour on your property, don't hesitate to contact your local police station.

Have you ever discovered any suspect letterbox markings? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Thank you for letting us know about this. Another is that knock on the door to see if someone opens up and then that person asks for a fake person who they know does not live there nor even lives in your neighbouring houses. One can understand when they knock on your door and ask using your neighbours names. I've had that and they are unusual name(s) as well. If people are hanging around near the front or on a main road, even a bus stop. I've gone back inside and waited for them to actually board the bus. Ensured that they have not stopped just waiting to see who leaves their house. I reported a case to police because of what I saw and my home was broken into just days before. I drove around the street as I saw two blokes and by the time I went around the corner, they were walking quickly back to a business and one was stuffing an electrical power tool up him fleece jacket. I was in my car and then I saw him take that item from under his jacket and place it in the back of the tray at the back of the truck. One of the homes was being renovated and no doubt some tools were left out under cover. I raced home and phone the police and told them who I was, that I had reported my own burglary to them, about the neighbouring house being renovated and unoccupied during renovations and what I had just witnessed. Two weeks later that business was 'closed' with huge barbed fencing in cement blocks. No one was going in or out. Then, it was cleared out because clients cars, etc. were in there for repairs. My own car had just been serviced by them two weeks before my own break-in. So, they had my contact details. Pay-Back. No One does me wrong and gets away with it. I'm now guessing that the first time I was broken into was by them as well. Why? Because my home is visible from their premises and other neighbours also broken into. One was a lady across the road who dared to go down the street because she needed more groceries and yes, her home was visible from their business and they had to see her leave her house and walk down the street. They knew that they had about 45-60 minutes. They were In & Out in that time.

Members, we've heard reports that residents around Australia have been finding strange letterbox markings, such as numbers, letters or symbols, and this could spell trouble.

So far there's speculation that these mysterious markings are a 'thief's code', warning other criminals that your home is unprotected by security systems, is empty during the day or that there are no animals inside – allowing people to break in.

To make matters worse, recently an Adelaide resident posted about a new set of markings on their letterbox specifically. It was the number '369' written at the top.

The homeowner isn't sure as to why it's there, but it's causing them a great deal of concern.

'There isn't a logical reason for this other than marking for future theft,' one of the comments on their post said. 'People just don't tag letterboxes for any other reason. It isn't worth the effort unless it has a purpose.'

View attachment 14622
The Adelaide resident shared this photo of the letterbox marking they recently discovered. Credit: Reddit.

There are other concerns, too. If you've recently discovered new markings in your letterbox, drain pipes, or fence posts, it's imperative that you take action immediately. These seemingly innocuous signs could indicate potential danger lurking just around the corner.

As we highlighted in a previous article, criminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their methods. They don't just randomly choose their targets - they 'case' a house first, carefully studying the patterns of those who live there. They'll watch your every move, looking for the perfect opportunity to strike.

This means that homes are being scrutinised in ways you may never have imagined. They can monitor someone’s every move, from the time they leave for a supermarket run to the moment they return.

They keep an eye out for alarm systems, dogs, and other security measures that might deter them from attempting a break-in.

View attachment 14623
It has been reported that thieves sometimes 'mark' residences of interest with something, such as a graffiti symbol, or some lines and letters. Credit: Reddit.

But that's not all. Criminals are also using secret symbols and codes to communicate with each other. Letters like 'NT' and 'S' and other markings have been spotted on properties all over the country.

These may seem harmless, but they could be a sign that your home is being targeted by criminals who are communicating with each other about the best time to strike.

We urge you to take extra precautions and keep a keen eye out for any theft-related markings. If they resemble any of what is mentioned above, we urge you to act fast and address this straight away.

We suggest you report these markings and/or remove them immediately. A great way to stay safe is also to remain alert.

To be extra careful, contact your local authorities and provide them with the details of the markings you've found. At the very least, this will give you peace of mind.

To make sure your property is safe from criminals, here are some tips to keep in mind:

1. Make sure to lock all of your doors and windows, even when you're inside your home, to help prevent break-ins.

2. If you're looking for a cheap and quick way to secure your windows or sliding doors, try using a piece of dowel in the runner instead of a lock. This can be just as effective.

3. Did you know that most homes that get broken into don't have a security alarm? By installing an alarm system, you can help protect your home. Plus, there are different features available to fit a range of budgets.

4. Consider placing stickers and signs around your home to warn potential burglars of an alarm system, a dog, or a neighbourhood watch program.

5. Installing sensor lights that turn on with movement can be a great way to deter thieves and increase your home's security.

6. Don't forget to check your outside lights, windows, and door locks on a regular basis to ensure that they're all functioning properly.

7. Keep your garden tools packed away and locked up in a shed or garage to prevent them from being used to break into your home.

8. Keeping your yard well-maintained and trimming hedges and bushes regularly can make it easier for neighbours to see your front and backyard. This can also help prevent thieves from being able to hide on your property.

Key Takeaways

• An Adelaide homeowner has found unexplained numbers on the top of their letterbox.
  • The markings have been widely claimed to be part of a 'thief's code', providing information to would-be criminals in the area.
  • The markings may indicate whether the home has a security system or dogs and if it is occupied during the day.
  • Letters such as 'NT' and 'S', as well as various lines are said to be of particular significance, with 'NT' standing for 'No Threat'.

If you suspect that a burglary has occurred in your area, you can reach out for help in several ways:

Contact the police

The first step you should take is to contact the police. You can call the emergency number Triple Zero (000) if it's an ongoing crime or a crime in progress, or you can call the non-emergency number (131 444) to report a crime that has already occurred.

Contact Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers is an anonymous reporting service that allows members of the public to provide information about crimes without revealing their identity. You can call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online at their website.

Check local news sources

Local news sources, such as newspapers and online news websites, may report on recent crimes in your area. You can also check social media groups or forums for your local community to see if anyone has posted about recent incidents.

Stay safe always, members! Remember, it's always best to be prepared and protect your home and property as much as you can. But if you do come across any suspicious markings or behaviour on your property, don't hesitate to contact your local police station.

Have you ever discovered any suspect letterbox markings? Share your experiences in the comments below!

It appears it is not safe anywhere. Aged people and full time working couples are the target. I remember when I first came to Australia in 1975, you can accidentally leave your front door open and go out. Neighbours were always looking after your house. In my current neighbourhood, we had an understanding with the neighbour next door. We look after their house, clean their letter box,put the garbage bins out and water their garden& lawn; when they go on holidays . They did it for us likewise. However the new neighbours, dont even talk. Tried to say hello,they are too busy running their business. Sadly, the demograph of the neighbours have changed. This increases the risk of theft and break-ins. At least we have a monitored security system service that will call us if the alarm goes off.

A house in Brisbane where I lived had a very professionally written sign on the door that read.
"Be WARNED any INTRUDERS WILL BE KEPT!" after a spate of break ins had evidently occurred in the street.
There used to be a very neat professional looking sign hanging on a farm gate out near Nimbin, that read "All Trespassers will be prostituted!" and in brackets beneath it said (This is not a miss print)
Ha ha ha yes.. old school attitudes to illegal activity, still prevail in Australia, thank God.

Mind you the veiled threat would be enough to deter anyone...ha ha ha

View attachment 14622

View attachment 14623

Key Takeaways

Contact the police

Contact Crime Stoppers

Check local news sources

You should take the advice of some of the ads on this site .. maybe the perps would learn a lesson ..

Attachments

• 57D234FC-2211-437F-9E14-2EA91E8C093A.jpeg
    57D234FC-2211-437F-9E14-2EA91E8C093A.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 0
We have had a few home invasions in my area over the past few months. One a lady was injured the other 2 were early morning like 5am except they actually never got in. Both of these were caught on camera.

My suburb Roselands Sydney was a pretty safe area but over the past 4 weeks there has been 2 stabbings with both being deceased and both around the corner from me.
One was a grandfather stabbed by his grandson and the other was only last Thursday a 24 year old was stabbed and died at the scene at a park again around the corner and where my sons play basketball.

Someone we know in the next St found the knife in their front yard and called the police straight away.

There has to be zero tolerance

Last edited:
A few years ago, a young lad rang our doorbell and when I opened the door, ( the security screen is always locked ) he asked me where the bus stop was. This was quite reasonable because the bus-line had just started a new route which travelled down our street. I told where he could catch the bus and he left.
I watched him go, only to see him knock on the house across the road, and then walk down a court which ran off our street. This looked very suspicious to me, so I phoned the police and was able to give a description of him and the clothes that he was wearing. Always take care and keep your screen doors locked.

We are lucky to have neighbours who all look out for each other. All of us keep an eye on our neighbours houses, we live in a cul de sac with only 8 houses so everyone can see all the houses from their front yards. Letterboxes are checked, bins are put out and in, even if empty, neighbours cars are parked under carports, any noises or lights on at night are checked by someone. Anyone seen acting suspiciously in the street is confronted and asked what they are doing, who they are looking for etc. there are a few retired couples and some shift workers so people come and go at all hours which gives good neighbourhood watch. Most of the houses have some sort of security systems with cameras so anything suspicious caught on camera everyone knows about.

I have my own “mobile alarm” of the German Shepherd variety. I’ve told the neighbourhood kids that she bites uninvited “guests”. No idea if she would but she is very noisy and does the little “Shepherd bounce” at callers, but I’ve had my yard invaded by the older siblings who didn’t realise my previous shepherd would lick them to death, but the smaller malamut cross was of the “silent but deadly” strain. Prevention worth way more than cure!

In a neighbourhood I have lived in they use to put a shoe or something in the gutter out the front of the houses that had dogs. A lot of us use to remove these items and put them in the bin. Some of these people would get one heck of a shock when they jumped the fences. 😁

I have my own “mobile alarm” of the German Shepherd variety. I’ve told the neighbourhood kids that she bites uninvited “guests”. No idea if she would but she is very noisy and does the little “Shepherd bounce” at callers, but I’ve had my yard invaded by the older siblings who didn’t realise my previous shepherd would lick them to death, but the smaller malamut cross was of the “silent but deadly” strain. Prevention worth way more than cure!
Hahaha!🤣👏👍 I have in my unit 2 guards💂‍♂️💂‍♂️ an elderly cats! 😻😻🤪 If someone is near by, they run around like mad hiding and warning me about 'suspicious' activities. I have double security lights installed at front, and my place is all souranded by 1800mm timber fencing. Before I'll leave my unit, I'll make sure to lock up all doors, windows. I'll also turn my radio on.🤗

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci and Pink lion
Yep I've just found my house number written on my mail box, and I got a shiver down my spine because our number is on the post our letterbox is fixed to on both sides so no need for another number. Bit of a worry and silly me I went up and rubbed it off with metho and didn't take a picture of it. Never thought this would EVER happen where I live, not country but small community and we are quite slack in locking up because of the safe feeling we all had and this just shits me that I have to change the way I live.

Does anyone else get diverted to an advertisement to air China? Go back into your post and correct spacings etc to see.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 14622

View attachment 14623

Key Takeaways

Contact the police

Contact Crime Stoppers

Check local news sources

In reality locks only keep honest people and the more security you have the more the crims think you have got something to hide.... A nice tall non see thru fence means the crims can do their work UNSEEN...

Reactions: Ricci