Strange find at Coles Checkout leaves shopper fuming: ‘You realise six and seven-year-olds can read, yeah?’

As we all know, supermarkets have a knack for placing tempting lollies, glossy magazines, and other wallet-deflating items at the checkout counters.

It’s their final enticement before we pass through the exit doors, wallets lighter and reusable bags heavier.

But what happens when stores depart from this traditional, sugar-laden setup?

Coles' checkout strategy recently sparked significant controversy.

In a departure from the usual assortment of tempting treats, a display featuring condoms and lubricant occupied the prominent checkout position.

compressed-8f1d3a5d9a9ec9c8f76dbbe6b6a9b4381014b005-4x3-x34y0w1309h982.jpeg
The customer posted a picture of the checkout display at a Coles store, including lubricant and condoms. Source: Twitter/mymymollie

This unexpected alteration triggered the displeasure of a parent who expressed concerns about potentially exposing young and innocent eyes to adult concepts a little too early.

Sharing her encounter on social media, she voiced strong disapproval over Coles' decision, saying, 'Coles, you realise six and seven-year-olds can read, yeah? Condoms are not a good alternative to sweets.'

She added the hashtag #LeaveOurKidsAlone to her tweet, which stirred up a flurry on the social media platform.

The post contained an image that showed a box of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting on display at the checkout, next to other personal care items usually found throughout the store's more socially accepted aisles.

The choice to offer a mixed selection of personal care items at some checkouts mainly caters to customers who might have forgotten to pick up these items while shopping.

Also, it bears to reason that it assists those who may find it embarrassing to carry such personal items around the store casually.

A Coles spokesperson cited that the array of products at the checkout enjoys popularity among many shoppers.

'Coles offers a selection of items conveniently located at the register that includes drinks, snacks and healthcare items.' the spokesperson shared.

They then went on to add, 'The range is based on customer feedback and sales data that shows proven demand for last-minute medicinal and family planning products.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket customer has voiced disapproval over the sale of condoms and lubricants at the checkout registers.
  • The mum's shared photo shows boxes of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting along with other personal care items at the checkout.
  • Through a social media post, she expressed concern about children seeing these items and hashtagged #LeaveOurKidsAlone.
  • Coles defended their practices by highlighting their intent to provide a convenient location for customers to pick up last-minute personal care and health-related items.

This move away from lollies and chocolate bars is a bold move considering that Coles locations generally teem with a diverse range of customers, from those looking to grab a quick snack to youngsters accompanying their parents on the weekly shop.

We encourage our members to stay up to date with such changes in their local supermarkets and voice their views openly.

What are your thoughts on this? We are eager to hear from you.

Sponsored
I am in my 80s, but as a youngster I remember walking past barbers shops with huge window displays of condoms. They, to me, were just another item on display in windows. Are we such a different breed these days that seeing an everyday item for sale is so upsetting? What about walking around the supermarkets and seeing incontinence pads, etc. on full display? Not to mention the unmentionables in chemists. Is that supposed to upset little minds too. I really think some younger adults overreact

Too many people are voicing their displeasure about how others should live their lives and about who and what we are exposed to. It’s not up to others to dictate what we should and shouldn’t see or use. If you don’t want to see condoms at checkout,use a different checkout….don’t make everyone else suffer for your preferences. I’m so tired of being told what I should be morally outraged about.

I'm thinking it's up high where a young child won't see it.
Great way though to get safe sex across.
They are on the shelves in the isles anyway and a child may see them there.

I don't see anything wrong with them being at the counter.

My son when he was 7 would have stood there spelling it out then would have asked what a condom was . He had done plenty of embarrassing things like that but he made us laugh.

I think we now live in a pretty open society
Call me a prude but this 'open society' is absolute evidence of how our lives are slowly but surely being manipulated, like layers of an onion. You have to question why, all of a sudden, we are being bombarded with the con-cept of gender reassignment. The less we question, the greater the chance we will live in a closed society. After the divide and conquer there is nothing left but our dependence on being controlled. Me? I would prefer the corporately owned grocery stores have checkout displays that do not interfere with good parenting.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
As we all know, supermarkets have a knack for placing tempting lollies, glossy magazines, and other wallet-deflating items at the checkout counters.

It’s their final enticement before we pass through the exit doors, wallets lighter and reusable bags heavier.

In a departure from the usual assortment of tempting treats, a display featuring condoms and lubricant occupied the prominent checkout position.

View attachment 24029
The customer posted a picture of the checkout display at a Coles store, including lubricant and condoms. Source: Twitter/mymymollie

This unexpected alteration triggered the displeasure of a parent who expressed concerns about potentially exposing young and innocent eyes to adult concepts a little too early.

Sharing her encounter on social media, she voiced strong disapproval over Coles' decision, saying, 'Coles, you realise six and seven-year-olds can read, yeah? Condoms are not a good alternative to sweets.'

She added the hashtag #LeaveOurKidsAlone to her tweet, which stirred up a flurry on the social media platform.

The post contained an image that showed a box of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting on display at the checkout, next to other personal care items usually found throughout the store's more socially accepted aisles.

The choice to offer a mixed selection of personal care items at some checkouts mainly caters to customers who might have forgotten to pick up these items while shopping.

Also, it bears to reason that it assists those who may find it embarrassing to carry such personal items around the store casually.

A Coles spokesperson cited that the array of products at the checkout enjoys popularity among many shoppers.

'Coles offers a selection of items conveniently located at the register that includes drinks, snacks and healthcare items.' the spokesperson shared.

They then went on to add, 'The range is based on customer feedback and sales data that shows proven demand for last-minute medicinal and family planning products.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer has voiced disapproval over the sale of condoms and lubricants at the checkout registers.
  • The mum's shared photo shows boxes of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting along with other personal care items at the checkout.
  • Through a social media post, she expressed concern about children seeing these items and hashtagged #LeaveOurKidsAlone.
  • Coles defended their practices by highlighting their intent to provide a convenient location for customers to pick up last-minute personal care and health-related items.

This move away from lollies and chocolate bars is a bold move considering that Coles locations generally teem with a diverse range of customers, from those looking to grab a quick snack to youngsters accompanying their parents on the weekly shop.

We encourage our members to stay up to date with such changes in their local supermarkets and voice their views openly.

Maybe they are trying to help the general population. Perhaps if it can stop the "easily offended", from breeding. We might only have to put up with one generation of them. 😉

Reactions: Rainy
Call me a prude but this 'open society' is absolute evidence of how our lives are slowly but surely being manipulated, like layers of an onion. You have to question why, all of a sudden, we are being bombarded with the con-cept of gender reassignment. The less we question, the greater the chance we will live in a closed society. After the divide and conquer there is nothing left but our dependence on being controlled. Me? I would prefer the corporately owned grocery stores have checkout displays that do not interfere with good parenting.
Unfortunately there is always going to be change . Our parents saw change and their parents saw change and so on.

Doesn't mean we have to agree with it. Eg I'm against transgender. I'm also not for people being homosexual but I treat them with respect. I know a number of Gay people and alot has changed in 20 years.

We don't have to take part or participate but just respect.

View attachment 24029

Key Takeaways

Kids are very savvy these days. I think the items could have been better placed . When my kids were young if this would have happened they would have gotten that age old answer, I'll tell you when you're a little older. 😉 Seriously though if you don't explain it they'll ask an older kid.

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 24029

Key Takeaways

Unfortunately there is always going to be change . Our parents saw change and their parents saw change and so on.

Doesn't mean we have to agree with it. Eg I'm against transgender. I'm also not for people being homosexual but I treat them with respect. I know a number of Gay people and alot has changed in 20 years.

MMMM New strawberry lollies.

Reactions: Suzanne rose

I recently started filling out an online questionnaire relating to a weight loss program (6kg) and it asked me what gender I was assigned to at birth! This may seem a harmless question for some people. But fast forward 20 years from now. If we keep bending to these small changes we will be living in freedom starved sectors of the world, not countries. I guess the question then is at what point in the equation will we realize respect for 'other' needs to be tempered with protecting our freedom and way of life. Before it is too late.

View attachment 24029

Key Takeaways

Trust Coles
. Who else could be soo insensitive and plainly stupid!

Don't these whinging young mothers have anything better to do with their time? There is NOTHING wrong with these items being at the checkout display. It is more that she has a communication issue with her children and has nothing to do with stock placement.

Reactions: ElizabethL
Oh FFS. In the big scheme of things, who really cares. There are more important things to worry about than condoms at the checkout.

I think its up to parents to teach birds and bees when they think its time.if àdults are embarrassed bìģ deal.

Instead of clutching her pearls, taking to the vapours and posting to social media, if she just loosened those stays and answered any question her kids came out with honesty and matter-of-factly, the kids would move on and forget about it in 20 seconds. Have we not got past the embarrassment of yesteryear over the times when the mere sight of PACKAGED condoms required smelling salts?

Perhaps this poor unfortunate woman should hope she never plays host to some American kids who would ask in a very loud voice in Officeworks for Durex. (For those confused, in the USA Durex is a brand of clear sticky tape like Sellotape!)

PS perhaps she should also be grateful that 6-7 year olds can read at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: maxesmum
I recently started filling out an online questionnaire relating to a weight loss program (6kg) and it asked me what gender I was assigned to at birth! This may seem a harmless question for some people. But fast forward 20 years from now. If we keep bending to these small changes we will be living in freedom starved sectors of the world, not countries. I guess the question then is at what point in the equation will we realize respect for 'other' needs to be tempered with protecting our freedom and way of life. Before it is too late.
This PISSES me off! What gender were you??? I would have lost my freaking mind if I’d come across that question. *looking down* pretty sure that down there gives me a fifty per cent chance of being a female. DUHH. As if kids don’t have enough to deal with,now they can’t just be a boy or girl? Fml

Instead of clutching her pearls, taking to the vapours and posting to social media, if she just loosened those stays and answered any question her kids came out with honestly and matter-of-factly, the kids would move on and forget about it in 20 seconds. Have we not got past the embarrassment of yesteryear over the times when the mere sight of PACKAGED condoms required smelling salts?

Perhaps this poor unfortunate woman should hope she never plays host to some American kids who would ask in a very loud voice in Officeworks for Durex. (For those confused, in the USA Durex is a brand of clear sticky tape like Sellotape!)

PS perhaps she should also be grateful that 6-7 year olds can read at all!
1000 likes! Love this.