Strange find at Coles Checkout leaves shopper fuming: ‘You realise six and seven-year-olds can read, yeah?’

As we all know, supermarkets have a knack for placing tempting lollies, glossy magazines, and other wallet-deflating items at the checkout counters.

It’s their final enticement before we pass through the exit doors, wallets lighter and reusable bags heavier.

But what happens when stores depart from this traditional, sugar-laden setup?

Coles' checkout strategy recently sparked significant controversy.

In a departure from the usual assortment of tempting treats, a display featuring condoms and lubricant occupied the prominent checkout position.

compressed-8f1d3a5d9a9ec9c8f76dbbe6b6a9b4381014b005-4x3-x34y0w1309h982.jpeg
The customer posted a picture of the checkout display at a Coles store, including lubricant and condoms. Source: Twitter/mymymollie

This unexpected alteration triggered the displeasure of a parent who expressed concerns about potentially exposing young and innocent eyes to adult concepts a little too early.

Sharing her encounter on social media, she voiced strong disapproval over Coles' decision, saying, 'Coles, you realise six and seven-year-olds can read, yeah? Condoms are not a good alternative to sweets.'

She added the hashtag #LeaveOurKidsAlone to her tweet, which stirred up a flurry on the social media platform.

The post contained an image that showed a box of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting on display at the checkout, next to other personal care items usually found throughout the store's more socially accepted aisles.

The choice to offer a mixed selection of personal care items at some checkouts mainly caters to customers who might have forgotten to pick up these items while shopping.

Also, it bears to reason that it assists those who may find it embarrassing to carry such personal items around the store casually.

A Coles spokesperson cited that the array of products at the checkout enjoys popularity among many shoppers.

'Coles offers a selection of items conveniently located at the register that includes drinks, snacks and healthcare items.' the spokesperson shared.

They then went on to add, 'The range is based on customer feedback and sales data that shows proven demand for last-minute medicinal and family planning products.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket customer has voiced disapproval over the sale of condoms and lubricants at the checkout registers.
  • The mum's shared photo shows boxes of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting along with other personal care items at the checkout.
  • Through a social media post, she expressed concern about children seeing these items and hashtagged #LeaveOurKidsAlone.
  • Coles defended their practices by highlighting their intent to provide a convenient location for customers to pick up last-minute personal care and health-related items.

This move away from lollies and chocolate bars is a bold move considering that Coles locations generally teem with a diverse range of customers, from those looking to grab a quick snack to youngsters accompanying their parents on the weekly shop.

We encourage our members to stay up to date with such changes in their local supermarkets and voice their views openly.

What are your thoughts on this? We are eager to hear from you.

Sponsored
Totally different subject. I needed a bottle of strawberry jam, always buy cottees. Well the size has decreased considerably since I bought my last bottle. 500g down to 375g. No reduction in price but 40c dearer than last bigger bottle. This was at Coles but no doubt will be in all shops soon. So now I’m guessing it is to encourage people to eat less jam???? Wouldn’t be price gouging on behalf of cottees or supermarkets, surely not!!!

Attachments

• 1486B541-1812-4001-95A1-EDF541ECC576.jpeg
    1486B541-1812-4001-95A1-EDF541ECC576.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Ricki
Totally different subject. I needed a bottle of strawberry jam, always buy cottees. Well the size has decreased considerably since I bought my last bottle. 500g down to 375g. No reduction in price but 40c dearer than last bigger bottle. This was at Coles but no doubt will be in all shops soon. So now I’m guessing it is to encourage people to eat less jam???? Wouldn’t be price gouging on behalf of cottees or supermarkets, surely not!!!
Buy locally made, spray free jams. Cottees is owned by corporate group Kraft Heinz, based in USA. It originated in Aus back in 1927. KH are about profit, not nutritionally valued foods. Not long ago, two of their high ranking executives were caught cooking the books (fraud), so greed is part of their culture.

I noticed the same thing only last week . I then looked online to see if there were two sizes and no there is just the one Size 375g.
They can't downsize just to stop people eating less.
I buy homebrand jam now for cooking eg for slices

As we all know, supermarkets have a knack for placing tempting lollies, glossy magazines, and other wallet-deflating items at the checkout counters.

It’s their final enticement before we pass through the exit doors, wallets lighter and reusable bags heavier.

In a departure from the usual assortment of tempting treats, a display featuring condoms and lubricant occupied the prominent checkout position.

View attachment 24029
The customer posted a picture of the checkout display at a Coles store, including lubricant and condoms. Source: Twitter/mymymollie

This unexpected alteration triggered the displeasure of a parent who expressed concerns about potentially exposing young and innocent eyes to adult concepts a little too early.

Sharing her encounter on social media, she voiced strong disapproval over Coles' decision, saying, 'Coles, you realise six and seven-year-olds can read, yeah? Condoms are not a good alternative to sweets.'

She added the hashtag #LeaveOurKidsAlone to her tweet, which stirred up a flurry on the social media platform.

The post contained an image that showed a box of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting on display at the checkout, next to other personal care items usually found throughout the store's more socially accepted aisles.

The choice to offer a mixed selection of personal care items at some checkouts mainly caters to customers who might have forgotten to pick up these items while shopping.

Also, it bears to reason that it assists those who may find it embarrassing to carry such personal items around the store casually.

A Coles spokesperson cited that the array of products at the checkout enjoys popularity among many shoppers.

'Coles offers a selection of items conveniently located at the register that includes drinks, snacks and healthcare items.' the spokesperson shared.

They then went on to add, 'The range is based on customer feedback and sales data that shows proven demand for last-minute medicinal and family planning products.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer has voiced disapproval over the sale of condoms and lubricants at the checkout registers.
  • The mum's shared photo shows boxes of Durex strawberry-flavoured lubricant and Durex and Skyn condoms sitting along with other personal care items at the checkout.
  • Through a social media post, she expressed concern about children seeing these items and hashtagged #LeaveOurKidsAlone.
  • Coles defended their practices by highlighting their intent to provide a convenient location for customers to pick up last-minute personal care and health-related items.

This move away from lollies and chocolate bars is a bold move considering that Coles locations generally teem with a diverse range of customers, from those looking to grab a quick snack to youngsters accompanying their parents on the weekly shop.

We encourage our members to stay up to date with such changes in their local supermarkets and voice their views openly.

This is so typical of supermarkets these days. A sale at any price! I would have asked to see the supervisor and complained about this display.

Reactions: Rainy
I'm glad you mentioned this. I noticed it and thought I was seeing things. Definitely price gouging by the supermarkets. Manufacturers/ producers have to absorb any rising of costs. The grocers look after the shareholders.

Maybe the strawberry flavoured condoms are cheaper? 😋 😂

Reactions: bluetang

View attachment 24029

Key Takeaways

It is the holy dollar marching again. Really Coles! there is a place for those products not in our face

View attachment 24029

Key Takeaways

View attachment 24029

Key Takeaways

Hi! Sadly I’m not surprised at the comments from a lot of peeps re the condoms at checkouts in Coles!
It’s not ok for shops to force on us what we want our kids to be exposed to!
I worked in a dept store for quite a while where people lined up down walkway near front of my counter at Christmas time on way to see Santa.
There were display beds down this walkway & sometimes (altho we put few chairs along there) people would do all sorts on the beautifully made up beds eg change dirty nappies etc. one day mother sat on bed & in full view of everyone just flopped out her breast which she left on display while prep her child to feed. I quietly made a Neg comment to the young casual who was next to me at the counter & she said “well it is natural” to which I replied “ so is having sex but not on the walkway in a shop”!!
You see, not everyone should have things forced on them by people who see these things as their right!
My d-in-law fed my grandchildren when we were out & I don’t have a problem w that but she was discreet w muslin wrap across her!
Why has modesty disappeared? I’m far from a prude, but there is a time & a place for everything! So no, don’t put condoms @ checkout & force some people to have to explain to kids!
Especially raspberry flavoured etc- I would think most parents wouldn’t want to explain fallacio to their 6 & 7 yr olds? People who say “oh they know more than we think they do” are justifying their inappropriate behaviour! Up your game folks!!
Our children/grandchildren deserve a lot better than this from us all!
Elizabeth - new

Kids are very savvy these days. I think the items could have been better placed . When my kids were young if this would have happened they would have gotten that age old answer, I'll tell you when you're a little older. 😉 Seriously though if you don't explain it they'll ask an older kid.
Surely it is better to destigmatise condoms so kids accept them for what they are and thereby prevent STIs as well as unwanted pregnancies. Those old enough to know what a condom is need to know there is no shame attached to them and those that can read but don't understand deserve a non-judgemental explanation from their parent without embarrassment. The kids will move on why can't the parents?

Reactions: Ricki
Hi! Sadly I’m not surprised at the comments from a lot of peeps re the condoms at checkouts in Coles!
It’s not ok for shops to force on us what we want our kids to be exposed to!
I worked in a dept store for quite a while where people lined up down walkway near front of my counter at Christmas time on way to see Santa.
There were display beds down this walkway & sometimes (altho we put few chairs along there) people would do all sorts on the beautifully made up beds eg change dirty nappies etc. one day mother sat on bed & in full view of everyone just flopped out her breast which she left on display while prep her child to feed. I quietly made a Neg comment to the young casual who was next to me at the counter & she said “well it is natural” to which I replied “ so is having sex but not on the walkway in a shop”!!
You see, not everyone should have things forced on them by people who see these things as their right!
My d-in-law fed my grandchildren when we were out & I don’t have a problem w that but she was discreet w muslin wrap across her!
Why has modesty disappeared? I’m far from a prude, but there is a time & a place for everything! So no, don’t put condoms @ checkout & force some people to have to explain to kids!
Especially raspberry flavoured etc- I would think most parents wouldn’t want to explain fallacio to their 6 & 7 yr olds? People who say “oh they know more than we think they do” are justifying their inappropriate behaviour! Up your game folks!!
Our children/grandchildren deserve a lot better than this from us all!
Elizabeth - new
People do NOT have to explain in great detail the use of condoms at all. Just a simple age-appropriate explanation is sufficient. It reminds me of the old joke:

7 year old Tom asks his parents "where did I come from?" The parents took a deep breath, swallowed hard and embarked on a long and detailed account of exactly how Tom came to be. Ending with the statement " so that's where you came from. Why did you ask?" "Oh" says little Tom after a short pause, "there's a boy in my class who says he comes from Dubbo, I just wanted to know where I came from." 😂