Step into the colourful debate: Optical illusion triggers fierce discussion from different hues

The internet is abuzz once again with an optical illusion that's causing a stir among many, reminiscent of the infamous dress debate that took the world by storm in 2015.

An image that recently resurfaced online has sparked a heated debate among viewers, with people divided over what colours they see.

This time, it’s a sneaker that’s at the centre of the controversy, with people fiercely divided over its true colours.

The image of the shoe was shared by Lori Greiner on social media, and it quickly made the rounds.

With the laces neatly tied, the sneaker appears to change colours before our very eyes, depending on who's looking at it.

'This is going to blow your mind,' Greiner said in her now-popular video.

'What two colours do you see in this shoe?'

Screenshot 2024-03-14 122522.jpg
Lori Greiner posted this optical illusion on social media, sparking a debate among people about what colours they see. Credits: Tiktok / Lori Greiner

The phenomenon behind this visual conundrum is linked to how our brains process colours and lighting.

According to a popular theory, if you're right-brained, you're more likely to see the shoe as pink and white. This side of the brain is associated with creativity, artistic skills, and intuition.

On the other hand, left-brained individuals, who are thought to be more analytical, logical, and orderly, tend to see the shoe as grey and turquoise.

The debate over the shoe's true colours has reignited discussions about the left-brain versus right-brain dominance theory—one side of the brain may be more dominant in certain individuals, influencing their personality and thinking style—as Healthline suggested.

As the video shared by Greiner on March 8 amassed over 6 million views, social media users have been weighing in with their own perceptions of the shoe's colours.

‘I see grey and turquoise... There's no way anyone else see any different,’ one commented.

‘I can see both combinations. I saw the turquoise and grey first, and then a minute later, after pausing, I saw the pink and white,’ another said.

‘I thought there was a longer video, and two different pictures—but my brain just decided to switch colours,’ a third chimed.

‘Teal and grey, I’m trying to see pink and white. I don’t see it,’ another remarked.

The debate has some sceptics questioning the validity of the claims, with one user humorously suggesting, 'At this point, I think people who say they see grey and turquoise are just messing with us. Because there's no way.'

‘I don’t see how it can be anything but white and pink,’ another replied.

This isn't the first time an optical illusion caused such a stir.

Back in 2015, the internet was divided over the colour of a dress, with some swearing it was white and gold, while others were certain it was blue and black.

The dress's owner eventually confirmed it was indeed blue and black, but not before the image had become an online sensation, sparking discussions about colour perception and the mechanics of vision.

Another optical illusion was also famous last year, which could supposedly determine one’s personality.
Key Takeaways

• An optical illusion of a shoe sparked fierce debate on the internet, with people divided over whether it's pink and white, or grey and turquoise.
  • The debate was fuelled by a theory that suggests that the dominant side of the brain influences what colours one perceives, with right-brained individuals seeing pink and white, and left-brained people seeing grey and turquoise.
  • The shoe illusion gained popularity after entrepreneur Lori Greiner shared it, with the video reaching over 6 million views as people weigh in on the colour debate.
  • Similar to the 2015 viral sensation of 'The Dress', this optical illusion highlighted how individual perception of colours can differ greatly, and provoke discussion on social media.
What colours do you see when you look at the shoe? Are you team pink and white, or firmly in the grey and turquoise camp? Or perhaps you're one of the few who can switch between the two? Join the debate now, and share with your friends and family to see what colours they see.

Last edited:
Sponsored
this has been going around forever along with a dress that does the same. I don't see either. It's a pinky grey canvas with turquoise laces/trim for me at the moment. It can change. Not everyone is one brain dominant either as suggested. As one merges both hemispheres of the brain they operate from both pretty much equally.

I see no pink or white
The shoe is Silver (grey)
The laces are celeste/light blue
Google matching agrees with me. 😂😂

Attached are 4 colours.
Two of these are Silver and Celeste.
Two of these are Pink and White.

That's just how my eyes see these colours.
Interesting discussion.

Attachments

• Silver.PNG
    Silver.PNG
    198 KB · Views: 0
  • Celeste.PNG
    Celeste.PNG
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pink.PNG
    Pink.PNG
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • white.PNG