Stay one step ahead: Protecting your parcels from rising theft rates

Many of us have grown accustomed to the convenience of having items delivered straight to our doorstep. Especially during the times when we want to avoid crowded public spaces, online shopping has been a blessing.

However, a recent report has revealed that one in five Australians have experienced the unfortunate event of having their packages lost or stolen in the past year.

This shocking statistic highlights the need for us to take extra precautions to protect our home deliveries.

According to Tim Bennett, an insurance expert at Finder, the average cost of a stolen item is around $130 per package, and the total value of lost and stolen packages amounts to almost half a billion dollars.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.51.40 AM.png
One in five Australians has had their parcels lost or stolen in the last year, with half of those parcels reported lost in transit and the remainder reported stolen. Credit: Pexels/Artem Podrez.

To safeguard our savings and avoid the disappointment of unsecured deliveries, Mr Bennett offered some practical and effective tips.

First, he recommended tracking packages and choosing sign-on deliveries whenever possible. If you anticipate not being present during the scheduled delivery, it's advisable to contact the delivery organisation and make alternative arrangements.

Additionally, Mr Bennett emphasised the importance of installing door cameras. While you might initially think of these cameras as useful for capturing amusing moments or monitoring deliveries, they actually serve as a powerful deterrent against thieves.

'They significantly reduce the chances of theft, depending on your home,' Bennett explained. 'The presence of a camera pointing directly at them is likely to discourage “porch pirates” from stealing.'

By following these suggestions, we can take proactive steps to protect our deliveries, minimise the risk of theft, and enjoy the convenience of online shopping with greater peace of mind.

Key Takeaways

• The convenience of home deliveries has made us reliant on online shopping, but a surprising report reveals that one in five Australians have experienced lost or stolen packages in the past year.
  • With an average cost of $130 per package and nearly half a billion dollars worth of lost and stolen packages, it is crucial to safeguard our deliveries.
  • Tracking packages, opting for sign-on deliveries, and installing door cameras are effective measures to protect our purchases and deter porch thieves.

According to Australia Post's website, they offer the option for customers to have their parcels delivered to a safe place if they are not home to receive them. The decision to leave a parcel in a safe place is based on the accessibility and safety of the delivery address.

Here is the criteria for parcels to be left in a safe place:
  • The parcel does not require a signature.
  • The parcel requires a signature, but the sender has given instructions to leave it in a safe place, provided that Australia Post has your contact details and you have chosen this delivery option.

Safe places can include hidden areas on your property, such as at the front door, porch, mailbox (if it fits), under the carport or verandah, or by the side gate. These locations are considered secure and offer protection for your parcel until you return.

It's important to note that the decision to leave a parcel in a safe place is based on the discretion of Australia Post's drivers, who assess the accessibility and safety of your delivery address. By providing clear instructions and contact details, you can ensure a smooth delivery process when utilising this service.

Other tips for preventing package theft.jpg

If you find yourself among the unfortunate few who have experienced a stolen package, it is crucial to take immediate action and report the incident to the appropriate authorities. The process of reporting may vary depending on the delivery service used and your location, but here are some general guidelines to follow.

For those using Australian Post, you can visit their website and navigate to the 'Track & Trace' page. From there, you can fill out the 'Missing Item Enquiry' form, providing all the necessary details. Once submitted, an Australian Post representative will conduct an investigation into the theft and file a report accordingly.

Another option is to contact the local police. The ease of investigation may vary depending on the circumstances, but with sufficient information, the police can initiate an inquiry into the case. It is advisable to call your local authorities and discuss the specifics of your situation with them for the best possible outcomes.

Alternatively, if you feel comfortable doing so, you can reach out to the courier service responsible for delivering your package. Contacting them directly can be a helpful way to seek resolution, especially if you report the theft promptly.

Remember, reporting a stolen parcel serves multiple purposes. It allows you to file a refund claim and also contributes to the collective effort of combating parcel theft. Acting swiftly and selecting the most suitable reporting pathway will improve the chances of achieving a resolution.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 11.51.32 AM.png
Online shopping and home deliveries offer convenience and comfort, but we must also remain vigilant and take steps to safeguard our purchases. Credit: Pexels/Artem Podrez.

As we embrace the convenience of online shopping and home deliveries, it's crucial that we remain vigilant to safeguard our valuable purchases from potential theft. By following a few simple precautions, we can reduce the risks and continue to relish the comfort of shopping from home.

Do you have other tips to share? Feel free to share any additional advice or insights on parcel safety in the comments below. Let's ensure our deliveries arrive securely into our hands!

Sponsored
It would be good if they all actually knock on your door.
My postman will knock and will even go around to my back door. One Australia post delivery man will always knock loud and call out , whereas others just drop it off at the front door without knocking.

Yesterday I was waiting on a delivery when I received a message saying the courier tried to deliver at 8.12 am and I thought this was strange as I was in my room which is at the front of the house and from this room you hear anyone that comes in.
I sometimes wonder if they actually really tried to deliver the parcel. I don't have a problem with Australia post but I do with Couriers

I usually don't have a problem with couriers. The majority use the doorbell. A few ring the doorbell, leave the parcel, then wait in their van until I open the door to check someone's home.
I'm waiting for a delivery from Kmart today. I went to Kmart to buy their 3 tier shelving for the bathroom, as their website said my local store had stock. A big fat zero in stock when I get there. So, had to order it online.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
It would be good if they all actually knock on your door.
My postman will knock and will even go around to my back door. One Australia post delivery man will always knock loud and call out , whereas others just drop it off at the front door without knocking.

Yesterday I was waiting on a delivery when I received a message saying the courier tried to deliver at 8.12 am and I thought this was strange as I was in my room which is at the front of the house and from this room you hear anyone that comes in.
I sometimes wonder if they actually really tried to deliver the parcel. I don't have a problem with Australia post but I do with Couriers
totally agree. Ive been in the room next to front door where I see anyone coming into property. And I have opened the door as they are leaving and they jump with surprise. Never even tried the bell or a knock. I ask so why didn't you ring/knock? They have no answer. However it would also help if one was given a timeframe to be home or to arrange otherwise, but being given a 10 day window hardly helps.

I live up a dirt road no through road so generally it is only the people who live on this road and we know everyone so I have never have a problem "YET"

totally agree. Ive been in the room next to front door where I see anyone coming into property. And I have opened the door as they are leaving and they jump with surprise. Never even tried the bell or a knock. I ask so why didn't you ring/knock? They have no answer. However it would also help if one was given a timeframe to be home or to arrange otherwise, but being given a 10 day window hardly helps.
I totally agree, this has happened quite a few times. I am housebound and my housemates are work from home, so there is ALWAYS someone at home! No knocking nor calling out! No excuse!

Many of us have grown accustomed to the convenience of having items delivered straight to our doorstep. Especially during the times when we want to avoid crowded public spaces, online shopping has been a blessing.

However, a recent report has revealed that one in five Australians have experienced the unfortunate event of having their packages lost or stolen in the past year.

This shocking statistic highlights the need for us to take extra precautions to protect our home deliveries.

According to Tim Bennett, an insurance expert at Finder, the average cost of a stolen item is around $130 per package, and the total value of lost and stolen packages amounts to almost half a billion dollars.

View attachment 19919
One in five Australians has had their parcels lost or stolen in the last year, with half of those parcels reported lost in transit and the remainder reported stolen. Credit: Pexels/Artem Podrez.

To safeguard our savings and avoid the disappointment of unsecured deliveries, Mr Bennett offered some practical and effective tips.

First, he recommended tracking packages and choosing sign-on deliveries whenever possible. If you anticipate not being present during the scheduled delivery, it's advisable to contact the delivery organisation and make alternative arrangements.

Additionally, Mr Bennett emphasised the importance of installing door cameras. While you might initially think of these cameras as useful for capturing amusing moments or monitoring deliveries, they actually serve as a powerful deterrent against thieves.

'They significantly reduce the chances of theft, depending on your home,' Bennett explained. 'The presence of a camera pointing directly at them is likely to discourage “porch pirates” from stealing.'

By following these suggestions, we can take proactive steps to protect our deliveries, minimise the risk of theft, and enjoy the convenience of online shopping with greater peace of mind.

Key Takeaways

• The convenience of home deliveries has made us reliant on online shopping, but a surprising report reveals that one in five Australians have experienced lost or stolen packages in the past year.
  • With an average cost of $130 per package and nearly half a billion dollars worth of lost and stolen packages, it is crucial to safeguard our deliveries.
  • Tracking packages, opting for sign-on deliveries, and installing door cameras are effective measures to protect our purchases and deter porch thieves.

According to Australia Post's website, they offer the option for customers to have their parcels delivered to a safe place if they are not home to receive them. The decision to leave a parcel in a safe place is based on the accessibility and safety of the delivery address.

Here is the criteria for parcels to be left in a safe place:
  • The parcel does not require a signature.
  • The parcel requires a signature, but the sender has given instructions to leave it in a safe place, provided that Australia Post has your contact details and you have chosen this delivery option.

Safe places can include hidden areas on your property, such as at the front door, porch, mailbox (if it fits), under the carport or verandah, or by the side gate. These locations are considered secure and offer protection for your parcel until you return.

It's important to note that the decision to leave a parcel in a safe place is based on the discretion of Australia Post's drivers, who assess the accessibility and safety of your delivery address. By providing clear instructions and contact details, you can ensure a smooth delivery process when utilising this service.

If you find yourself among the unfortunate few who have experienced a stolen package, it is crucial to take immediate action and report the incident to the appropriate authorities. The process of reporting may vary depending on the delivery service used and your location, but here are some general guidelines to follow.

For those using Australian Post, you can visit their website and navigate to the 'Track & Trace' page. From there, you can fill out the 'Missing Item Enquiry' form, providing all the necessary details. Once submitted, an Australian Post representative will conduct an investigation into the theft and file a report accordingly.

Another option is to contact the local police. The ease of investigation may vary depending on the circumstances, but with sufficient information, the police can initiate an inquiry into the case. It is advisable to call your local authorities and discuss the specifics of your situation with them for the best possible outcomes.

Alternatively, if you feel comfortable doing so, you can reach out to the courier service responsible for delivering your package. Contacting them directly can be a helpful way to seek resolution, especially if you report the theft promptly.

Remember, reporting a stolen parcel serves multiple purposes. It allows you to file a refund claim and also contributes to the collective effort of combating parcel theft. Acting swiftly and selecting the most suitable reporting pathway will improve the chances of achieving a resolution.

View attachment 19920
Online shopping and home deliveries offer convenience and comfort, but we must also remain vigilant and take steps to safeguard our purchases. Credit: Pexels/Artem Podrez.

As we embrace the convenience of online shopping and home deliveries, it's crucial that we remain vigilant to safeguard our valuable purchases from potential theft. By following a few simple precautions, we can reduce the risks and continue to relish the comfort of shopping from home.

Do you have other tips to share? Feel free to share any additional advice or insights on parcel safety in the comments below. Let's ensure our deliveries arrive securely into our hands!

I have parcels coming from oversea's I send back, I have used mail hold and redirection but that seem's to be a joke the guys who do the delivery dont give a dame. they just dump them I had them not arriving. and one that did arrive. out of 4 had been opened and stuff taken out of it and taped up with black tape, and as for the Australian Post tracking all I've ever got from them is it must be from where you sent it from. I have no option. than use them but at $55.00 and very poor service. they have the upper hand and dont give a dame.

I get a few parcel deliveries and my entrance is side driveway entrance. So, hidden from view. Plus, I try to ensure that I'm home when i have ordered items and if need to get some groceries I wait until after 4-5pm to shop as the couriers finish up for the day and delivery may be next day. Plus, they sed a message and email that delivery on it's way and delivery date.

Sadly, you can not trust people and I have no doubt that people are waiting in a few cars that follow the vans in tandem. With PM these days, easy for oe to message the other were they are or better yet, have tracking device installed. I also wouldn't exclude people working in the industry to send out the delivery addresses.