State resorts to significant road rule change over increased road-related incidents

As the sun rises over the Australian landscape, so does the number of cyclists weaving through our bustling streets and serene country roads.

The sight of e-bikes and scooters gliding alongside cars is becoming increasingly common, a testament to our nation's embrace of alternative transportation.

Yet, with this surge in popularity comes a shadow of concern: the safety of these two-wheeled travellers is at risk, and the statistics are sounding the alarm.

In the latest reporting period ending September 2023, the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE) delivered a sobering statistic: 43 cyclists lost their lives on Australian roads, marking a staggering 33 per cent increase from the previous year.

This rise in cyclist deaths outpaces any other road user group, signalling a need for urgent action.

shutterstock_151729025.jpg
There has been an increase in cyclist deaths on Australian roads. Credit: Shutterstock

Western Australia, in particular, is feeling the weight of this tragic trend. With five cyclist fatalities recorded in 2023 alone, the state is now considering a significant road rule change.

The Nationals WA, led by deputy leader Peter Rundle, are advocating for a law that would make high-visibility apparel mandatory for cyclists and e-scooter riders on shared roads.

'Anything we can do to reduce the probability of someone getting injured or dying is really important,' Rundle stated, acknowledging the potential life-saving impact of such a measure.

While enforcing this rule may present challenges for the police, the hope is that riders will voluntarily adopt the practice, recognising its potential to safeguard their lives.

If the proposal gains traction, it could become a cornerstone of the Nationals' campaign in the upcoming state election.

Currently, safety measures for cyclists in WA include recommendations to wear ‘brightly coloured or reflective clothing to increase visibility’, however, it’s not compulsory.

This advice is echoed in South Australia, Victoria, and New South Wales.

Helmets are mandatory, and the use of bike reflectors or lights is strongly encouraged. This is especially true given that, as reported by Victoria's Transport Accident Commission, the majority of bike-related crashes occur at intersections, when exiting paths or driveways, or due to 'dooring' incidents.

The relationship between cyclists and motorists is complex, often marred by frustration and misunderstanding.

Motorists sometimes express irritation at cyclists on the road, while cyclists argue that bike lanes are frequently obstructed or poorly maintained, forcing them onto the road for safety reasons.

Peter McLean, CEO of Bicycle NSW, highlighted issues such as debris, access, and surface problems as reasons why cyclists might avoid designated lanes.

‘Sometimes there's debris in the lanes, and they're not always well cleaned. Often there's access issues as well as obstructions and problems with the surface,’ he said.

Cyclist Peter Moore supported the high-vis proposal, acknowledging that ‘being in hi-vis would highlight you’ as sometimes drivers are complacent and ‘unaware of their surroundings’.

However, Wayne Bradshaw, head of WA's peak cycling body, argued that more needs to be done to address risky driving behaviors, such as distracted driving, speeding, and driving under the influence.
Key Takeaways
  • Cyclist deaths in Australia have increased, leading to calls for a new road rule to make high-vis apparel compulsory for cyclists and e-scooter riders on shared roads in Western Australia.
  • The proposal is being considered by The Nationals WA, with deputy leader Peter Rundle highlighting its importance in reducing road fatalities.
  • Current safety advice includes wearing brightly coloured or reflective clothing and the compulsory use of helmets, with bike reflectors or lights recommended.
  • Tensions exist between cyclists and motorists, with cyclists sometimes avoiding cycle lanes due to issues such as debris, obstructions, and problems with the surface.
Have you had close calls on the road? Do you believe high-vis apparel could make a difference? Or perhaps you have suggestions for improving cyclist safety? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Bike riders need number plates so they can be identified the same as other road users. So do people on mobility scooters and people with prams who think they own the footpath and shopping isles.

Bike riders need number plates so they can be identified the same as other road users. So do people on mobility scooters and people with prams who think they own the footpath and shopping isles.
They used to have a small number plate attached to the top rail of the push bike up to around the 1950's (l think). I remember seeing one on a bike when l was a lad.

@Arg, it is apparent that you are a proponent of the lycra clad clan of idiots who think that road rules do not apply to them. This is evident by the number of :( emojis in response to EVERY post on this subject.

I live in an area of Perth where cyclists flaunt the law EVERY minute of the day. Going through roundabouts without regard to other road users, going from road to footpath and back again, putting pedestrians at risk from the unpredictable and erratic behaviour. There are numerous pedestrian/cyclist shared pathways where cyclists race round at speeds of over 50 kmh and missing pedestrians by mere centimetres! The law states that pedestrians and mobility appliance users HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY on these shared pathways.

It has got to the stage where I am seriously considering purchasing a two metre length of heavy gauge metal pipe and coathanger the offenders!

@Arg, what is your response to the above or will you slink away in denial?
He’s not joking about the metal pipe and coat hanger!

@Arg, it is apparent that you are a proponent of the lycra clad clan of idiots who think that road rules do not apply to them. This is evident by the number of :( emojis in response to EVERY post on this subject.

I live in an area of Perth where cyclists flaunt the law EVERY minute of the day. Going through roundabouts without regard to other road users, going from road to footpath and back again, putting pedestrians at risk from the unpredictable and erratic behaviour. There are numerous pedestrian/cyclist shared pathways where cyclists race round at speeds of over 50 kmh and missing pedestrians by mere centimetres! The law states that pedestrians and mobility appliance users HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY on these shared pathways.

It has got to the stage where I am seriously considering purchasing a two metre length of heavy gauge metal pipe and coathanger the offenders!

@Arg, what is your response to the above or will you slink away in denial?
My response is to say that you are contemplating violent crime, and I strongly urge you not to do anything that could get you rightly charged with attempted murder, and I also encourage you to let go of the underlying anger.

Please, everyone, go about the public spaces of our peaceful society with a mindset of abundance and compassion.

My response is to say that you are contemplating violent crime, and I strongly urge you not to do anything that could get you rightly charged with attempted murder, and I also encourage you to let go of the underlying anger.

Please, everyone, go about the public spaces of our peaceful society with a mindset of abundance and compassion.
Sadly, this is not a peaceful society.

I for one, am frustrated with the many cyclists on the roads and the footpaths that are supposed to be shared with pedestrians.

There are far too many times that cyclists have crossed the road or turned in front of me causing me to brake hard, even when I’m entering an intersection on a green light and theirs is red.

My grandson has been hit by a cyclist on a shared pedestrian/bike path. The cyclist was going so fast I doubt he had time to see my grandson. Luckily my grandson only suffered some cuts and bruises when he was knocked down. (The cyclist didn’t stop.)

Admittedly, not all cyclists are ignorant of the road rules. Many are, particularly the “serious”, racing mindset, Lycra wearing, self absorbed cyclists who feel they alone are fully entitled to ride where and when they please.

Too late as I've already been there. Didn't do much good as the prosecution didn't have a leg to stand on. And I represented myself.

If I'm threatened with a lump of metal (a bicycle), I will defend myself with the same. A lump of metal.

Or I might resort to less blatant tactics. I will leave that to your imagination....

I am not to be messed with in person.

• Sad
Reactions: Arg and DLHM
I nearly collected a very fast angled cyclist wizzing around the roundabout, as I approached, zoom, there he was. Wearing a black helmet, dark fleecy and pants, with black joggers. He was nearly touching the ground on one side., stupidity.
Their reason for objecting to rego and insurance is because they dont pollute the air like cars do., but still use our facilities to get around. Freeloaders with ignorance.

Looking deeper into the statistics makes the WA government's response look like a significant overreaction.

Cyclist deaths in Australia and WA:
Year Aus WA Year Aus WA
2012 33 3 2018 75 5
2013 50 6 2019 39 1
2014 45 9 2020 41 5
2015 31 4 2021 40 4
2016 29 3 2022 32 ?
2017 39 7 2023 43 5
Cycling in Australia- Wikipedia

As you can see the 'massive' 33% increase in deaths in 2023 is a rebound from a significant drop in deaths in 2022.

And the 'Huge' number of deaths in WA (5) is In keeping with previous years and significantly less than some years.

Of course any death is tragic, but a one-off change in the statistics is not strong justification for a major rule change

Mandatory hi-vis vests with reg/ID number on the back to identify risky / illegal rider behaviour?
Along with third party insurance.

A neighbour of mine had a head on collision with a cyclist who unexpectedly overtook cars stopped at a red light over unbroken lines. It resulted in a smashed grill, broken headlight and indicator, creased bonnet, broken windscreen and dented roof. Repair cost? Several thousand dollars back in the late 1990s.

The errant cyclomaniac suffered a broken tibia, several cracked ribs, some injury to a wrist and multiple abrasions. And he had the hide to try and sue the neighbour! Eyewitnesses informed the attending police that the two wheeled turkey was clearly at fault so any claim was squashed. Unfortunately for the neighbour, he did not recieve ONE CENT for damages to his vehicle. Maybe he should have driven a Toyota Hilux with a bullbar instead of a Mitsubishi Magna!

The accident occurred near the intersection of Kingsgrove Road and Commercial Road, Kingsgrove.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
Looking deeper into the statistics makes the WA government's response look like a significant overreaction.

Cyclist deaths in Australia and WA:
Year Aus WA Year Aus WA
2012 33 3 2018 75 5
2013 50 6 2019 39 1
2014 45 9 2020 41 5
2015 31 4 2021 40 4
2016 29 3 2022 32 ?
2017 39 7 2023 43 5
Cycling in Australia- Wikipedia

As you can see the 'massive' 33% increase in deaths in 2023 is a rebound from a significant drop in deaths in 2022.

And the 'Huge' number of deaths in WA (5) is In keeping with previous years and significantly less than some years.

Of course any death is tragic, but a one-off change in the statistics is not strong justification for a major rule change
Don't you hate it when you quote statistics and the formatting goes out the window!?!

Maybe a more meaningful statistic might be deaths per 100000 of population?

Reactions: DLHM
Don't you hate it when you quote statistics and the formatting goes out the window!?!

Maybe a more meaningful statistic might be deaths per 100000 of population?
Yes, I do.

Cyclists deaths in 2021
0.5 deaths / 1,000 cyclists
0.15 deaths / 100,000 pop

Overall road deaths in 2021
5.6 deaths / 1,000 motor vehicles
4.2 deaths / 100,000 pop

In my particular case I don't think it would have made any distance. It was bright sunshine and I had a white helmet. A car passed me, pulled into the kerb only seconds later and immediately opened his door as I reached level with the back of his vehicle, then yelled at me to watch where I was going. He must have seen me as he had only literally seconds before moved over on the road to pass me. Considering it was a Govt. registered car he is very lucky I didn't stop and take his registration number. They would have known exactly where he was going and roughly what time he was expected to arrive.........Also, bicycle lane road surfaces need to be maintained. In the suburb of Adelaide that I lived in, the surfaces were cracked or broken right through in places, not just pencil width either. You certainly did not want to ride across it at the "wrong angle" or you were at high risk of falling off your bike. I witnessed and lodged reports a few times. A cyclist's immediate reaction is to avoid it. The edge against the actual gutter is always damaged too, often worse than the actual bitumen surface. Some are caused by tree roots, others definitely bad workmanship. In a side street close to where I lived there was a big "pot hole" You could see the rocks that the road surface should have covered. Without filling it at all, they simply sealed that small strip of road which resulted in a big deep hole/dip in the road. Only advantage was rocks wouldn't "fly up" as quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
Mine won't Qld 1 5 meters one bike 30 cars bike doing say 40ks in school zone 30 cars still in line one bike in middle of the road that way for 2ķs stuff the bikes should be open SEASON 😀 😳 😉 👍
They need to be made to do as a courteous driver towing a caravan would do in this case, pull over & let the build-up pass!